Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

Trying to get a ticket for It's Only a Play on the 4th (the only night I'll be in NYC), but I wanted to check here if there were some insider tips on getting good tickets (only need one) without spending too much.  I'm thinking if I go through the ticket agencies it will be over $200 for the mezzanine.  If there's any way of doing better, I would love to hear from the experts here.  Thanks!

Sondheim does not look healthy in that photo.

If you're talking about the photo from the Broadway.com page about his upcoming collaboration on the adaptation of the Bunuel film, he looks to me about the same as he's looked for a while. (And pretty much how he looked in the recent documentary Six by Sondheim.) The lighting isn't doing him any great favors, but what are you seeing that calls out a health problem to you?

Edited by Milburn Stone

Trying to get a ticket for It's Only a Play on the 4th (the only night I'll be in NYC), but I wanted to check here if there were some insider tips on getting good tickets (only need one) without spending too much.  I'm thinking if I go through the ticket agencies it will be over $200 for the mezzanine.  If there's any way of doing better, I would love to hear from the experts here.  Thanks!

@LADreamr - some shows offer rush, lottery, or SRO tickets the day of the show. You can call the theatre box office to find out if they offer any of those options.

• Love 1

If you're talking about the photo from the Broadway.com page about his upcoming collaboration on the adaptation of the Bunuel film, he looks to me about the same as he's looked for a while. (And pretty much how he looked in the recent documentary Six by Sondheim.) The lighting isn't doing him any great favors, but what are you seeing that calls out a health problem to you?

what looks like skin lesions

LaDreamr: It's Only A Play is evidently selling standing room (see link) and it also may be worth inquiring at the box office about cancellations close to show time, which may include "house seats" that go unused and get released for sale. sold at full price, of course. These are day of show, and there would be no guarantees, but I've had success in such instances.  Haven't tried this particular show myself, as of yet.

https://www.telecharge.com/offerslist.aspx?productid=10410

• Love 1

The Oregon Shakespeare Festival's terrific production of Into the Woods is moving to the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts in Beverly Hills from December 2-21.  

I saw the original production on the OSF Elizabethan outdoor stage this summer and thought it was wonderful.  

People of southern California, get your tickets now!  

Edited by Phebemarie

Thanks so much, everyone!  As expensive as the tickets have gotten, I think I'm going to try that trick, and just go to the box office.  Since I only need one ticket, I'm hoping that ups my chances.

Sorry, we couldn't be more help LADreamr. A bunch of discount ticket sites have been popping up but to my knowledge, It's Only a Play is too popular to have put any tickets up on them.

Got my tickets to see Angela Lansbury in "Blithe Spirit" at the end of March (oy...I hate planning that far in advance) in DC.  I have tickets to see Audra McDonald in concert the night before.  Since Mr ebk is working the show, he will not be able to see Audra with me.  He is sad.  I am sad for him, but thrilled for me.  It's gonna be a lovely weekend!!

• Love 1

Any former TWoPers remember "Legally Blonde the Musical: The Search for Elle Woods" that was on MTV years ago?  (Briefly: a reality show featuring a good crop of talent hosted by the more obscure Duff aimed to find Laura Bell Bundy's replacement for the title role in Legally Blonde, and a PR stunt to try to keep the musical popular enough to avoid closure.)  Happily, MTV.com still has full episodes available for online streaming: http://www.mtv.com/shows/legally_blonde_search_for_elle_woods/video.jhtml?filter=fulleps

This article is a mini "Where are they now?" - http://stagedoordish.com/where-are-they-now-legally-blonde-the-musical-the-search-for-elle-woods/

Notably, I was delighted to learn that Celina, the tall redhead indie contestant who was eliminated halfway through the series, now goes by Lena Hall and has found a fair bit of Broadway success!  Suck that, Bailey-bot!

Fabricationary: Duh, of course, I remember it. I wish they'd done the same thing for Heathers. I got my copy of the album in the mail a few days ago but I haven't listened to it yet. LBTMTSFEW was the first thing that introduced me to Seth Rudetsky. I had that same moment with Celina. So cute that Seth tweeted about her Tony win.

I'm not a big Phantom girl. Or a big Andrew Lloyd Webber girl outside of Phantom and Evita. But this looks like a cute oddity. 

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178092/check-out-the-phabulous-new-phantom-pop-up-shop-art-gallery-at-the-paramount-hotel/

I'm going to be real for second. I'm not feeling On the Town right now. TCM-ers know I saw the movie a little while ago. I've been watching the promo stuff and reviews and rehearsal/press presentation footage and... underwhelmed. I'm going to try and see if the video blogs help because so far the video blogs on Broadway.com have made me want to see every show.

Will this be another Sound of Music live tweeting phenomenon? Honestly not that thrilled with the voice cast.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178083/jim-parsons-will-star-in-new-elf-animated-christmas-special-based-on-film-broadway-musical/

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178080/cheers-peter-gallagher-kristin-chenoweth-make-an-adorable-pair-in-on-the-twentieth-century-sneak-peek/

Norbert Leo Butz has a new Netflix series called Bloodline. At least it can't get cancelled like The Deep End. Remember The Deep End, guys? God, I watch a lot of bad TV to see Broadway actors. Who's excited for Younger? It's only a few more months until the January premiere. 

Rob Marshall, who co-directs the Roundabout production with Sam Mendes, had initially approached Stone for the role of Cinderella in his upcoming film adaptation of Into the Woods. She declined, citing that she did not have the vocal range for the role.

Imagine that. Another reason to love Emma Stone. I swear, I'm going to go see Cabaret, guys. http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178058/cabarets-sally-bowles-to-be-emma-stone-was-originally-approached-to-play-cinderella-in-into-the-woods-film/

I don't... um... This makes no sense to me. 

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178062/stranger-than-we-dreamt-it-phantom-gets-small-screen-treatment-with-help-from-first-date-team/

I was watching the NY Philharmonic production of "Sweeney Todd" from earlier this year with Emma Thompson and Bryn Terfel (it was meh, I didn't like Terfel's non-singing acting, and Thompson has a pleasant voice, but not a stage voice).  But anyway, Jay Armstrong Johnson played Anthony Hope in that production, and he's one of the leads in "On The Town".  I had heard his name but didn't know him before watching that, and I thought he has a really nice voice.

And the 16-year-old who played Toby, Kyle Brenn, really held his own against those superstars.  Good luck to him.

Emma Thompson had her big breakthrough in 1985 in the stage musical Me and My Girl.

Let me reiterate my praise for the On the Town revival, which I talked about on the previous page. It's the most thoroughly satisfying stage production of a musical that I've seen in some time, and I can't wait to see it again (and again). 

Guys... what the heck is Saturday Night? http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178164/odds-ends-james-lipton-exclusively-on-bradley-cooper-stephen-sondheims-saturday-night-revived-more/

Also, I know we just had a musical based on Rocky and the songs of Tupac but I always feel like the Brits make the weirder cash grab adaptations. 

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178172/she-shoots-she-scores-bend-it-like-beckham-musical-to-receive-world-premiere-in-londons-west-end/

Guys... what the heck is Saturday Night?

Assuming this is a serious question.... Sondheim's first professional musical, almost produced in the 1950s but cancelled due to the producer's death, long legendarily unheard, finally produced in the 1990s first in a British student production, then in Chicago, then in 2000 off Broadway, a production which was recorded on Nonesuch. He discusses it at length in his first volume of collected lyrics.

I envy you, aradia! A report I got on an email list I'm on is much more positive than the critics were, and I trust the writer of the email much more than I do the critics. I think you're in for a good experience.

Edited by Milburn Stone

Back from Show Boat. Super late because I stayed for the stage door. It took a while for people to come out and then Vanessa came out quite late (probably waiting for the stragglers to give up and go home) and Norm never came out at all. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the performance. I was in seat P21 in the orchestra but because a bunch of the orchestra seats weren't filled (this is the last night, they were sold out some of the other nights) I was able to shift over two seats and get an unobstructed view of the stage for the first act. By the second act the people in front of me had gotten the same idea but thankfully the woman directly in front of me was still shorter than I am so the view was still quite good. 

They added some numbers back in which made the first act in particular feel quite long. I enjoyed it and it wasn't exactly dragging but I did feel the time. I didn't think much of Julian Ovenden when I heard him in promotional clips but his voice is gorgeous live. Some of you know that I've only ever seen the Irene Dunne version of Show Boat. I think both Julian and Lauren Worsham who played Ravenal and Nola found that perfect blend between contemporary musical theatre and that more warbling operatic sound. They both sang beautifully. Lauren was a little precious for me in the beginning playing younger Nola. It had a Kristin Chenoweth vibe... you know when Kristin tries to act cute? Alli Mauzey was fantastic as Ellie. Her voice is clear as a bell and her comedy is silly but it still lands. Edward Watts was a very handsome Steve but there's not much more to say. NaTasha Yvette Williams also really got my attention as Queenie. Her vocals were amazing. I can see how Vanessa Williams' performance might not have been for everyone. With Can't Help Lovin' That Man she swung it a little. She didn't alter the tempo but it was a little bit like Lena Horne's version. A little jazzier. Bill was sung more straight but had the feel of a cabaret torch song. There was a song in the middle that she just sang straight. She was lovely but her acting was a little off for me. I don't think she felt things that deeply or else it wasn't showing much on her face. If you've seen her movie version of Bye Bye Birdie it was kind of that mixed with Wilhemina Slater. I felt like she was playing a little broad and I wanted more genuine warmth. Can't Help Lovin' That Man was great but I really felt the absence of emotion in Bill. Norm Lewis was a bit of a letdown. He fit the part perfectly and there were times I loved his vocals but I think it's just not in the sweet spot of his range. There was a real base who had a small section in another song and you could hear the real difference in the quality of their voices. I mean, if he can sing Phantom he's probably not perfect casting for this.Though his acting was great. The young KIm was a little stiff but I don't expect much from child actors. The older Kim was fine though she wasn't as good as Lauren. Fred Willard was a little flat as Captain Andy but whatever. It's not a role that's going to kill the show.

Now, as for the orchestra and chorus. OMG, guys. I forgot how much I love music like this. With a theatrical production... unless it's Les Mis or something, you have to keep the cast in line so you can afford to pay everyone's salary but with 5 night concert you can just get a bunch of the best singers and that is what they did. I think everyone was unmic-ed and maybe there were stage mics but in row P I was just getting this wall of sound. It swelled in the most gorgeous way. And there were some proper, proper sopranos in the mix which made me very happy. The guys were also great. I wasn't in love with the orchestra when they were playing the overture but when they were accompanying the singers, my God, so gorgeous. I hope they get in a good sized orchestra for The King and I. 

They were filming it the whole time so I think they might be airing it on PBS. There were moments here and there where I thought 'they probably could have used some more rehearsal time' but as a theatrical experience it was brilliant.

• Love 1

Hi, everyone! I need some advice. So I promised to do my best to see Cabaret but things are trickier than I anticipated. I've got a pretty flexible schedule but my friend does not. The only available dates now are around Christmas and then they start to free up around Jan 6. But I feel uncomfortable booking so far in advance in case Emma Stone or Alan Cumming are out sick or on vacation or we're hit with a crazy snowstorm (not outside of the realm of possibility here in NY). Any advice? I'm worried that if we don't book, we'll miss out on using Hiptix but if we do, we'll be struck by the bad luck and unforeseen circumstances genie. 

I'm going to try calling audience services to see if they know anything about Emma or Alan leaving later in the run due to prior commitments and if they will offer refunds or the ability to reschedule. That's the best I can come up with. 

Also, I'm thinking about going to see Aida or La Boheme live at the Met. Any opinions on the singers?

I'll offer on opinion only if you make sure to see On the Town. (Everybody needs to see On the Town.) Fair is fair. :)

(Actually, I'd need to know the dates at the Met, to say anything. Opera casts change.)

I want to be there with you, Rinaldo. Just give me some more time with the video blog. I'm not feeling it yet. I do not trust easily. What I'm perceiving as broad comedy is making me nervous and I'm waiting for something that's going to reassure me I'm going to be blown away by their voices. But the promise of that orchestra is alluring. Though maybe I'll give the lottery a shot.

I did a quick bit of youtube research. Aida seems like a spectacle of a production which appeals to me as someone who will probably be in the nosebleed seats unless I work some magic with rush tickets. I'm leaning towards Yoncheva and Gheorghiu in La Boheme with the advantage to the latter.

Also, I totally fell down a rabbit hole of assessing the ABT's and NYCB's 2015 seasons. Maybe the municipal ID thing will be in effect by then. Though that could just make it more difficult to get tickets.

I'm not a big ALW fan aside from Evita and to a lesser extent Phantom but Donna Murphy in Sunset Boulevard? Intrigued... 

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178487/as-if-we-never-said-goodbye-is-sunset-boulevard-returning-to-broadway-starring-donna-murphy/

This is not Gigi. It's an Audrey Hepburn Halloween costume.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178484/oo-la-la-get-a-first-glimpse-of-vanessa-hudgens-in-broadway-bound-musical-gigi/

Is it just me or are we getting more superhero stuff lately?

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178438/matt-doyle-nick-cordero-more-tapped-for-world-premiere-of-brooklynite-off-broadway/

I'm with the first commenter. I'm not even sure why these needed to be voted on.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178397/tony-awards-administration-committee-rules-on-its-only-a-play-holler-on-the-town-more/

A 51 member ensemble? Crazy! So excited for The King and I, you guys. Out of curiosity, if you have any option available, when do you like to go see a show in its run. Right at the beginning? In the middle when they're comfortable? A year or two in when they're super comfortable? When they're about to close? 

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178435/ruthie-ann-miles-more-set-for-the-king-and-i-starring-kelli-ohara-ken-watanabe-on-broadway/

I like to go during previews, before "the word is in." That's how I saw The Light in the Piazza, South Pacific, and On the Town, and I'm glad about all of those.

Speaking of which, of course you'll see On the Town before thinking about South Pacific, because you say you love musicals, and I believe you, and this is one of the handful of immortal classics, and it won't be back for another 30 years, at best. Everyone reading this topic should see it!! I'm going to go back at least once more myself.

I concur--I much prefer going during previews, but of late that has become difficult for a number of reasons.  I  have no problem going later in runs, particularly if there's a cast change that interests me.  

I also concur that the prospect of Donna Murphy doing Sunset Boulevard is tantalizing.

I tend to go earlier, just because you never know when a show is going to close. See - Big Fish. But I admit it's mainly based on what Playbill.com is discounting.

I really want to see On The Town and Gentleman's Guide. I just need a week or two in NYC where I do nothing but go to the theatre.

• Love 4

Interesting that A Delicate Balance has gotten mixed reviews now that it's opened, but that it's also doing good business.  I know Glenn Close has a certain star power, and she hasn't done theater in a long time.  And I know the marketing people did a really good job.  The play is a challenging one.  I did love the 90s revival, which made me appreciate the play as major Albee where before I thought of it as minor.  So I am divided over whether to see this new production.

Also, Honeymoon in Vegas was well received in previous runs--and what initial word of mouth there is very early in previews is pretty mixed, I guess.  I remember the reviews from the production at Paper Mill practically saying "Bring it across the river to Broadway immediately!"

How did I not know there was a thread for my people???  

Looking for advice - going to New York for Christmas, and am considering seeing The Real Thing matinee on Christmas Eve.  There are only a few shows playing that day, and I've seen most of them!  I have Elephant Man booked for Christmas Day and Delicate Balance for the 26th.   Reviews so far are mixed, and I can't find any discounts for that week, so it looks like I will be paying full price.   Has anyone seen it?

How did I not know there was a thread for my people???

Welcome! It's exceedingly rare for me to consider paying for a play but maybe someone else will have something to say. Most of the things I've read about The Real Thing have been more negative than mixed though, if that helps.

Did He Like It has three thumbs up, one thumbs down, and one on the fence!   I'm reluctant to pay full price, since I paid big bucks for my other two shows.  I also paid full price for It's Only a Play last month, and really resented it.  Maybe I'll hold out another week or so to see if the discounts get extended.  I do hesitate to pass up the chance to see Ewan McGregor : )

Edited by Quof

Did He Like It has three thumbs up, one thumbs down, and one on the fence!   I'm reluctant to pay full price, since I paid big bucks for my other two shows.  I also paid full price for It's Only a Play last month, and really resented it.  Maybe I'll hold out another week or so to see if the discounts get extended.  I do hesitate to pass up the chance to see Ewan McGregor : )

I like the site even if I do sometimes forget what I'm doing and click the links, thereby using up my monthly allowance and hitting the NYTimes pay wall (all I ever read are theatre/arts/dance reviews). What did you dislike about It's Only a Play? I used to watch Moulin Rouge over and over when I wasn't watching Chicago so I don't blame you. ;)

I didn't see It's Only a Play, but having read it (and also sampled some reviews, which confirmed my predictions), I bet I can guess some of the problems. (Not to stop @Quot from providing more knowledgeable information -- welcome!)

• It's a slight piece (opening-night party in the rich producer's penthouse), really a framework for some inside-theater butchery and references to what's currently running.
  • It was written in 1985, which makes all the references hopelessly dated, so its author needs to rewrite it pretty much top to bottom. Which never really works in a case like this, because the original premises can't be removed, so it seems to occupy two times at once.
  • It's very much molded to the original cast on whom it was rewritten, there being close to no plot. So an "all-star revival" needs to exactly match the personal qualities built into each character. (Of this bunch, I would guess that only Nathan Lane fits the bill -- maybe Megan Mullally too. And while we might think we'd pay to see Nathan Lane do anything, it doesn't really work out that way when other people's laughs aren't landing.)

How'd I do? :)

Is everyone else going to watch the parade this year? I'm sure On the Town will do "New York, New York" and Side Show will probably do "Who Will Love Me As I Am" but I'll try to catch it anyway.

Also, reminder. Kristin Chenoweth's PBS special is on Nov 28 on PBS.

Should I want to see this? http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178507/broadway-legend-tommy-tune-will-return-to-the-stage-for-lady-be-good-at-encores/

Other assorted stories...

Excuse me for cutting and pasting my TripAdvisor review of It's Only a Play, posted in early October.

I sat about 10 rows back, Left Orchestra, and had no problem seeing or hearing. As noted, there were a lot of insider theater jokes, but I see 8-12 shows a year, and got almost all of them : ) I found the storyline an interesting concept.
Stockard Channing appeared, and was great. She is clearly still feeling the effects of her knee injury, limping at times and using a cane without it being mentioned. She was quite believable in the role, with a great voice for the stage, but I was saddened to see what she has done to her face.
Nathan Lane's character was like every other character I have seen him play, but I enjoyed him. He seemed to recognize he was playing a caricature of himself. Matthew Broderick was a little more reserved than other roles I have seem him play, but that was in keeping with the character. F. Murray Abraham was well cast. I had never heard of Rupert Grint. Micah Stock was a treat and probably the best part of the show.
Which leaves Megan Mullally. I was most looking forward to seeing her. She adopted a terrible speech affectation that sounded alternatively like she was British, Southern, posh, or just had a cold. I couldn't figure out what she was trying to do, and it became so distracting I stopped paying attention to what she was saying in order to analyze how she was saying it. Clearly, with the show opening this week, this character choice is set, and I think it detracts greatly from the show. She was a disappointment.
Would I see the show again? No. Did I laugh? Yes, but not uproariously like I had hoped with this cast, especially since I paid more for this show than any in recent memory.
On another note, I also saw You Can't Take It With You, and would see it again.

I had never heard of Rupert Grint.

WHAT? I'm always amazed when people haven't seen/read Harry Potter.

Would I see the show again? No. Did I laugh? Yes, but not uproariously like I had hoped with this cast, especially since I paid more for this show than any in recent memory.

I laughed during A Little Night Music and chuckled at Show Boat but I don't generally find musical humor that funny. Like, oh that was amusing... but generally not laugh-worthy.

WHAT? I'm always amazed when people haven't seen/read Harry Potter.

I'm in my forties, and childfree.  I don't read children's books, or see children's movies.  Also don't do teen literature, proud to say I have no idea what Vampire Diaries or Hunger Games are about.

Edited by Quof
  • Love 3

I'm in my forties, and childfree.  I don't read children's books, or see children's movies.  Also don't do teen literature, proud to say I have no idea what Vampire Diaries or Hunger Games are about.

I share your pride. In fact, I wear it as a badge of honor.

You weirdos. It's OK. I still like you. I'm going to watch animated movies and read YA literature (as long as it's good, I mean) forever. I don't believe in genre segregation or limiting yourself. I go where the good stories and creators are. Of course, I'm not going to force myself to watch something terrible just because it's popular or follow things I have no interest in. I haven't seen a superhero movie since the last (Tobey Maguire) Spiderman.

I'm pretty sure the Vampire Diaries are about vampires and the Hunger Games are about games. ;)

I really liked It's Only a Play. Yeah, it has some issues and tries a little too hard with some of the updated references. But I thought the cast was great (though I will admit Matthew Broderick was almost a little too low-key) and it seemed like they were really having fun together on stage.