Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

I saw Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at the Kennedy Center!  It was the first show I ever went to, and I think I've seen it about 4 or 5 times now.  This one was well done, with great dancing.  They moved Any Dream Will Do toward the end, after Joseph and Jacob reunite, which was really weird for me at first.  And the Narrator sang the harmony, no kiddie choir.  

Diana de Garmo did a good job as the Narrator, although her voice can be a bit nasally.  But she definitely has some vocal power - her harmonies were easily heard above the Ensemble choruses - and she sounded really pretty on the softer moments.  Ace Young was miscast as Joseph.  He looked the part, and I like how he acted the part - his Joseph really was kind of an obliviously obnoxious brat.  But his voice was thin, very nasal, and nerdy.  I thought (and still half-think) that it was a deliberate choice, to have his Joseph be a weird nerd kid.  But even as his arc developed, he never really let go, vocally.  There were spots here and there which showed what he can really do - the very end of Close Every Door, his accusation of Benjamin, the end of Any Dream.  

The cast as a whole looked like they were having a blast.  Those Canaan Days was the real showstopper.  Pharaoh was having fun hamming it up.  (Over all, I think the camp factor was higher here than in the Donny Osmond version.)  And the curtain call to the Megamix was incredible.  And also took up about half the second act.

Two questions I'd like to put forth. 

How do you feel about people using their phones in the theatre? Not that I'm against the internet or technology (obviously) but I'm generally content to stay on my laptop. I've never been one to mess around on my phone aside from getting directions or checking the time. I was amazed, peering down from the balcony during intermission at how many bright screens were staring back at me. And although you're not supposed to take photos, sooo many people were taking photos throughout from before the concert, to intermission, to curtain call, and possibly some times in between. And there was a particularly rude gentleman one row ahead of me, to my left who kept playing with his phone until the usher came over. Not a child. A grown adult (maybe 50-60 years old). So what are your thoughts on phone etiquette during any type of live theatre experience?

Not a fan of phones in the theatre either. Saw Lady Day this summer and some guy a few rows ahead of me was taking pictures of Audra during the performance. Just one of those people rules don't apply to I guess.

I've heard of shows doing "Twitter nights" which I guess is fine if you know it's coming but sounds like my personal version of hell at a show.

• Love 3

It's not an opinion. It's not a preference. It's not an option. It's a hard and fast rule. Cellphones should be completely off during a performance. People who disobey this rule should be tarred and feathered.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 7

I mean I'll make an exception for doctors or someone else who might have an emergency situation. While it's a sign of respect for your fellow theatregoers and the performance I do understand that there are bigger things in the world than one performance of a play. But yeah, if you're that bored, just leave. If you can't refrain from taking pictures or tweeting the experience, maybe theatre isn't the medium for you.

• Love 2

I will qualify my statement that unless you are a doctor on call, an hour alone in a room with Patti Lupone who has blunt instruments and dental surgical equipment at her disposal while the cell phone culprit is strapped down. 

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

So, I hope you don't mind my crashing your board, but I'm wondering if some of you more knowledgeable theatre folk could possibly help me out.  My daughter does musical theatre and is in need of 2 new songs for festival.  Does anyone have any ideas of songs that are suitable for a 15 year old girl that aren't the standard ones that I've heard a million times.  The big song last year was 'Let It Go' - I swear I heard it performed at least a dozen times by the time festival/provincials/competitions were over, I cringe when I hear it now.  Please message me if you have any ideas because I'm fresh out and I'm supposed to bring the music to next Monday's lesson.  Thanks.  :)

So, I hope you don't mind my crashing your board, but I'm wondering if some of you more knowledgeable theatre folk could possibly help me out. My daughter does musical theatre and is in need of 2 new songs for festival. Does anyone have any ideas of songs that are suitable for a 15 year old girl that aren't the standard ones that I've heard a million times. The big song last year was 'Let It Go' - I swear I heard it performed at least a dozen times by the time festival/provincials/competitions were over, I cringe when I hear it now. Please message me if you have any ideas because I'm fresh out and I'm supposed to bring the music to next Monday's lesson. Thanks. :)

I used to do festivals and NATS as a high schooler...can I get her range and some songs she's previously been comfortable with? One of my all time favorites is There's A Fine Fine Line from Avenue Q

Has anyone hear ever heard the score of " Skyscraper"? IT was the only musical the great Julie Harris starred on in Broadway and it didn't do half bad, running for 242 performances back in the mid sixties. It had stiff competition since Hello Dolly, Man of la Mancha, Mame, Sweet Charity were all running concurrently. As far as I know , it's never been revived anywhere.

Sorry, should have posted that info.  She needs two songs, one belt, one legit.  Last year she did Pulled from the Addams Family, Anyone Can Whistle by Sondheim, and Poor Wandering One by Gilbert and Sullivan.   There's a Fine, Fine Line is a fantastic song, but really popular, there are at least one or two kids that perform it at provincials every year.  Aradia22 suggested Screw Loose, which is fabulous, and I'll go check out the song from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.  Thanks so much for the help.  :)

Another excellent recent ballad that didn't get the exposure it deserved is "Nothing Is Too Wonderful To Be True" from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Sometimes I wonder if we are two separate people, Rinaldo. From my first hearing of that song on the original cast album, I said, "This is a song that can hold its own with any theatrical ballad from any decade." More people should know it. I'd scratch my head that it hasn't become a standard, except that I know the world is no longer a place in which a song like that become a standard.

It's been a while since I was auditioning and even then I feel like I was putting way more thought into it than most of the people I was competing against. And I still only ever got one line but that's a conversation for another day. I have no concept of what's still popular beyond compilations from voice teachers and pianists who play auditions. I think the best audition song is the one that shows off your strengths and the kind of character you want to play/the persona you want to convey. I've always been a ballad girl because I don't have a lot of breath control, I like romantic ingenue roles, and I have a mezzo-ish range without the belt. You Must Love Me, What I Did For Love, I Got Lost in His Arms, and my personal favorite audition song... Love Look Away from Flower Drum Song is my sweet spot. Even when I had those higher notes I was never a legit soprano. I wish I had been. I would have liked to sing things like I'll Know.

New favorites that I mentioned to briochetwist are Someone Woke Up, Screw Loose, and Don't Laugh.

Of course, you can always take the Glee route and just sing a standard (or really any pop song with all the damn jukebox musicals) as though it's a from a musical. In that case, going more for the 50's/60's crooner/ballad stuff can be a way of sidestepping all the Cole Porter and Gershwin that everyone else heads for. 

Macavity the Mystery Cat is fun and more unexpected than Memory.  I also like Hello, Young Lovers or We Kiss In the Shadow from The King and I.  For the belt, if you want something maybe a bit different, and they're allowed to sing songs across gender lines, there's Til I Hear You Sing from Love Never Dies.

Which first 4 minutes?  The London version, beginning with Mme Giry returning to Phantasma?  Or the Australian taped version, beginning with the Phantom?

The characterizations of practically everyone are horrible, but I really do like a lot of the songs.  Dear Old Friends, Beauty Underneath, and Devil Take the Hindmost are fantastic.  As an overall score, though, it is one of ALW's more repetitive pieces.  

As an overall score, though, it is one of ALW's more repetitive pieces.

Oh, that makes me want to see it. ;) Seriously though, I love Evita and Phantom has it's moments but everything else ALW just kind of sounds the same to me.

Has anyone seen Mary Poppins? I'm looking at taking my just-turned-6 niece and I'm wondering if it would be age appropriate. She's seen the movie but I gather the musical is quite a bit different. Is it more intense?

Oh, that makes me want to see it. ;) Seriously though, I love Evita and Phantom has it's moments but everything else ALW just kind of sounds the same to me.

I don't mind repeated melodies as long as it makes sense, and they do in LND.  But they do go overboard here.  But it's worth seeing (at least the Australian version on Youtube), just for the insanity of what Webber does to these characters.  Plus the entire, rather catchy song about how much Christine and Erik shagged in one night!

Still, ALW's best work IMO is Jesus Christ Superstar, hands down.

Theatre News roundup

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/179023/watch-first-trailer-of-wolf-hall-starring-mark-rylance-damian-lewis-jonathan-pryce/

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/179021/tony-winner-nikki-m-james-sets-departure-date-from-broadways-les-miserables/

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/179010/the-39-steps-will-return-off-broadway-in-the-spring/

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/179020/the-elephant-man-starring-bradley-cooper-recoups-on-broadway/

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178983/off-broadways-jasper-in-deadland-replaces-broadway-bound-something-rotten-at-seattles-5th-avenue-theatre/

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/178981/cest-magnifique-tickets-now-on-sale-for-broadways-an-american-in-paris/

January 2 on PBS
You’ll probably still be recharging from the social destruction you unleashed on New Year’s Eve—but that doesn’t mean you can’t entertain yourself. Make some tea, settle on the couch, and watch Jason Robert Brown in Concert, where the Tony-winning composer teams up with Anika Noni Rose and a team of Broadway musicians to perform songs from his impressive career. Expect songs from 13, The Last Five Years and Honeymoon in Vegas.

Is there any chance that when posting links like those, you could tag each one with some clarifying text, so I know if I want to go there? The "quote" icon makes that relatively easy to do.

Is there any chance that when posting links like those, you could tag each one with some clarifying text, so I know if I want to go there? The "quote" icon makes that relatively easy to do.

A workaround, if you're using a tablet: if you go in to that post to edit, you'll discover that the software has already converted that link to forum-friendly html. So, if you paste a web address, the software has converted it to

(bracket)url &c (close bracket) web address (bracket)end url(close bracket)

All you need to do is replace the web address with the text you want to quote.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Sorry, Rinaldo. I was in a rush last night. I'll try to do it in the future.

Story 1: PBS will air Wolf Hall with Mark Rylance in spring 2015

Story 2: Nikki M. James is leaving Les Mis which is only of interest because a lot of people had a problem with her style of singing the part (as evidenced by the reactions on Tony night).

Story 3: The 39 Steps is returning off-Broadway in April. It was one of the shows I reviewed and I enjoyed it despite some flaws in the performances and the smaller production. 

Story 4: The Elephant Man recouped its capitalization. Only interesting because we've been talking a bit about shows closing early/the need for big stars and known commodities.

Story 5: Jasper in Deadland is playing Seattle as Something Rotten heads straight to Broadway. No confirmation on who is attached to either show but Matt Doyle, Bonnie Milligan, and Allison Scagliotti (Claudia to Warehouse 13 fans) were in the original production of Jasper and Brian D'Arcy James and Christian Borle were both involved in a past reading or performance of Something Rotten so they both sound like shows to keep an eye on.

Story 6: Tickets are on sale for An American in Paris. I think they were on sale earlier for Mastercard members. I don't have an unlimited budget so I will be angling for a discount if I decide to see the show and I've already got too many things booked in advance (I hate doing that not knowing my plans... especially with the threat of inclement weather in winter.) But if any of you know already know that you have to see this production, you can start booking your tickets now.

Playbill News Roundup

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/tony-award-winner-lea-salonga-will-go-it-solo-at-town-hall-338276

Tony Award winner Lea Salonga will offer a solo concert at New York's The Town Hall in March 2015.

Lea Salonga in Concert is scheduled for March 14. Show time is 8 PM.

Tickets are priced $55, $60 and $65.

Salonga will also be part of the fifth annual Broadway on the High Seas cruise through Southeast Asia.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/alan-menken-and-galavant-cast-preview-medieval-music-from-tvs-upcoming-fairytale-series-video-338272

The upcoming television musical fairytale series "Galavant," featuring songs by Tony Award winner Alan Menken and Glenn Slater, will premiere Jan. 4, 2015, on ABC. Menken and members of the cast previewed music at a recent showcase for the series.

The series will premiere with back-to-back episodes in the 8 PM slot.

Also, as far as I know, I'll be recapping Galavant for trashtalktv. So keep an eye out for that if you're interested. With two hours of TV though I can't guarantee I'll get them up that quickly. We'll see. Maybe I'll just let you know when they're live either here or on the Galavant boards.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/photo-call-sold-out-sheryl-crow-musical-diner-celebrates-opening-night-at-the-signature-theatre-338254

The Signature Theatre's world premiere of Diner, the musical adaptation of the film of the same name, begins performances at the Virginia venue Dec. 9 prior to an official opening Dec. 27.

Directed and choreographed by three-time Tony winner Kathleen Marshall, performances will continue through Jan. 25, 2015.

Oops! Sorry about not telling you about the Gershwin Live From Lincoln Center tribute with Norm Lewis and the Michael Feinstein concert that aired last night. Did anyone catch them anyway? If it's any consolation, I didn't either. Here's the link to the full episode with Michael Feinstein. 

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365383904/

The special with Norm Lewis isn't up but it's worth checking back. 

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/broadway-box-office-analysis-dec.-23-28-wicked-tops-the-holiday-rush-with-cinderella-aladdin-and-matilda-close-behind-338163

On the Town broke the $1 million mark for the first time last week; coincidentally, the week also marked the 70th anniversary of the opening of the original production.

Christmas-week audience led to full and near full houses at The River, The Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, The Lion King, The Elephant Man, The Book of Mormon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Matilda the Musical, Les Miserables, Kinky Boots, It’s Only a Play, Cabaret, Aladdin, A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder and Once.

Almost every single show saw an increase at the box office, including struggling shows like Honeymoon in Vegas, Side Show and The Last Ship. The only exceptions were the revivals of A Delicate Balance and The Real Thing and, curiously, the hit Hugh Jackman piece The River, which fell slightly at the box office, while still remaining sold out.

Happy New Year all!

The Michael Feinstein show was a bit much for me--too  slick/nightclubby in its approach and arrangements. But there was a lot of talent involved--and Marilyn Maye is something to behold and hear at 80-something.  But I didn't make it through the whole show.

Norm Lewis was fine in the Philharmonic concert, as was Dianne Reeves, and they also made an interesting blend when they sang together. But it was the orchestra that stood out--spectacular playing of Strike Up the Band and a Porgy and Bess suite. Bramwell Tovey was a droll conductor/host and played a mean jazz piano besides. 

And yes, correct, I did not go out for New Year's Eve. :-)

• Love 1

Ooo, Kennedy Center Honors dramz. http://www.showbiz411.com/2014/12/30/tonights-kennedy-center-honors-could-be-last-of-its-kind-as-founding-producer-is-ousted I usually enjoy the show, or at least parts of it. They tend to do a nice job with the video tributes, call in some good performers, and cut to people in the crowd at the perfect times. The sentimental part of me loves that look on the honorees faces. I'm about half an hour into the show on the DVR. Basically, the Al Green portion. I caught some of it on the actual night but I missed most of it. I do agree with the reviewers that have described this year's show as more unfocused and less meaningful. A lot of the choices don't make much sense. Like, Christine Baranski is well-spoken and lovely but why is she the one doing the tribute? The Yankee Doodle Dandy thing (which I watched the night it aired) was similarly odd. It's not like there's a dearth of career highlights to spotlight or celebrity friends to call for a tribute. 

I watched the Feinstein show online while doing other things. Let's just say it wasn't anything I'd pay to see in person but it was pleasant enough. I didn't like all of the arrangements but there were some nice moments. I don't think any of the performers were really straining to impress. It was more like... well, we're doing a thing. There were weaknesses from everyone but again, pleasant enough to have in the background.

Playbill News Roundup

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/photo-call-sold-out-sheryl-crow-musical-diner-celebrates-opening-night-at-the-signature-theatre-338254

Oops! Sorry about not telling you about the Gershwin Live From Lincoln Center tribute with Norm Lewis and the Michael Feinstein concert that aired last night. Did anyone catch them anyway? If it's any consolation, I didn't either. Here's the link to the full episode with Michael Feinstein. 

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365383904/

The special with Norm Lewis isn't up but it's worth checking back. 

I did see the Philharmonic concert last night.  Enjoyed it immensely!   It was a perfect alternative to all the other NYE junk that was on.

I also saw "Diner" yesterday at the matinee.  Loved the music.  If they recorded a cast album right now, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  They do need to do a lot of work on the structure though.  The Narrator / Older Boogie character has to go.  He totally stops the action in its tracks and drags the whole piece down.  It's easy enough to figure out what's going on and what it means.  We don't need to be hit over the head with it.  The cast was engaging.  Erika Henningsen, who plays Beth, has a gorgeous voice.  But I hope she works on her diction some.  She has a showstopper in "Tear Down This House", but it was tough to understand the lyrics all the way through.  Overall, I enjoyed it and really hope they can work it into a hit.  

Happy New Year everyone!!

• Love 1

Thanks, aradia22. And I must apologize for my sloppiness (I'd go back and edit, but it's already been responded to). I meant to type "the 'link' icon" (not "quote"): that's what can be used to attach a URL to a phrase in one's text. Sorry for unintended confusion.

• Love 1

Failure again! I have to work on the weekend but if I can actually wake myself I should be able to get to the box office at 10:00 am tomorrow to try for Side Show Rush tickets and still make it to work on time. 

Some Off-Broadway Theatre picks from Playbill

Hamilton explores the life of the scrappy immigrant who worked his way up to be George Washington’s right-hand man and war hero. The creative team behind the world premiere is brimming with talent: book, music and lyrics by Tony and Grammy Award winner Lin-Manuel Miranda, choreography by Tony winner Andy Blankenbuehler and direction by Tony Award nominee Thomas Kail. Performances will run Jan. 20-March 22 at the Public Theater. Tickets start at $80.

Brooklynite is the world-premiere musical helmed by director Michael Mayer (Hedwig and the Angry Inch) with music and lyrics by Peter Lerman, a book by Lerman and Mayer and choreography by Tony nominee Steven Hoggett (Once). Inspired by the real Brooklyn Superhero Supply Company in Park Slope, Brooklynite tells the story of  an idealistic hardware store clerk who dreams of becoming a superhero. The production features a cast of talented Off-Broadway performers, including Nick Cordero and Matt Doyle. Performances run Jan. 30-March 22 at the Vineyard Theatre. Ticket prices start at $85.

The Roundabout Theatre Company is presenting the acclaimed Fiasco Theater production of Into the Woods, directed by Noah Brody and Ben Steinfeld. With a cast of 10, the witty and stripped-down theatrical re-invention is currently in previews and will run through March 22 at The Laura Pels Theatre. Tickets start at $99.

New York audiences will now have a second opportunity to see the previously sold-out production of Tony-nominated Stephen Adly Guirgis’ Between Riverside and Crazy. It was definitely the hot ticket Off-Broadway when the show premiered at the Atlantic Theatre Company earlier this year, garnering stellar reviews from the critics and quickly selling out its entire run. Second Stage Theatre will present the play, an original, laugh-out-loud look at life in rent-controlled New York City, with the same creative team and cast. Performances run Jan. 16-March 8 at Second Stage Theatre. Tickets are available from $79.

Opposition to Oscar Hammerstein II museum

Will Hammerstein, Oscar Hammerstein II's grandson, hopes to transform the farm, located in suburban Philadelphia, into the Oscar Hammerstein II Music & Theatre Education Center; his plan, however, is opposed by Doylestown Township supervisors and neighbors, who say that the $20 million proposal is too much development for the the 40-acre property. Concerns of nearby property owners include noise, traffic and storm-water runoff, their lawyer told The Republic.

Plans for the center include a house tour and a museum exhibit in the barn followed by a performance. A 400-seat venue and a parking lot would be built.

Idina Menzel responding to criticism

"There are about 3 million notes in a two-and-a-half-hour musical; being a perfectionist, it took me a long time to realize that if I'm hitting 75 percent of them, I'm succeeding. Performing isn't only about the acrobatics and the high notes: It's staying in the moment, connecting with the audience in an authentic way, and making yourself real to them through the music. I am more than the notes I hit, and that's how I try to approach my life. You can't get it all right all the time, but you can try your best. If you've done that, all that's left is to accept your shortcomings and have the courage to try to overcome them."

More Lea Salonga 

Do You Hear the People Sing, which celebrates the musicals of Boublil and Schönberg, will be presented at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts March 27-28.

Tony winner Lea Salonga will star in the evening; additional vocalists will be announced.

The concerts will also feature the National Symphony Orchestra conducted by Steven Reineke.

So this is rather last-minute, but has anyone seen the revival of Side Show?  It ran at La Jolla and has had good reviews, but is closing on Broadway this weekend.  I didn't see the original or this version, but I'm wondering - is this new version really good, and just missed the crowd?  Are the new song up to snuff?

I ask because after hearing the two supposedly "big" numbers of the show - "I Will Never Leave You" and "Who Will Love Me As I Am" - I found them both rather tepid.  It's possible they have more weight in the show, but they didn't really do much for me.

In short, and without plot spoilers, is the rest of the show musically as good as "Come Look At The Freaks"?  Cause I really, really like that opening number.  Did they changes made to the show help bring it together?  It's unlikely this show will be on Broadway again in the near future, so...is it going out on a high note?  Was this just about people buying Aladdin/Cinderella tickets instead?

I've watched the first twenty minutes of the original show via a bootleg and found the quality of music and lyrics dipped quite a bit after the opening number.  Is this version similarly "meh" after the first ten minutes, and just has pretty costumes and sets to cover it up?

Edited by DisneyBoy

About Side Show: I didn't see the revival, but the New York reviews were excellent, some friends of mine adore it, but I think it's more than just people buying tickets for other shows--it's that a good portion of the present Broadway audience is not particularly interested in the subject or even put off or appalled by the idea. Maybe it it were more economically feasible to run a big if not spectacle-sized musical off-Broadway instead of in a big Broadway house, it would have had a place there.  I said here a while back I did see the original production, and while admiring some of it, didn't become a devoted fan.

New York's PBS Channel 13 showed a Jason Robert Brown concert recorded in 2011 last night and it will be rebroadcast 1:15 am Monday.  Don't know if this will be shown on other PBS outlets or not.  It's a simple concert set-up with a small band, JRB on the piano, and Anika Noni Rose (sounding great) joining him on some numbers and doing a couple solos.  He performs well, something you can't say about all songwriters/composers.  This was evidently, from the closing credits, released on DVD first, before this PBS exposure.  

Edited by Charlie Baker

So this is rather last-minute, but has anyone seen the revival of Side Show?  It ran at La Jolla and has had good reviews, but is closing on Broadway this weekend.  I didn't see the original or this version, but I'm wondering - is this new version really good, and just missed the crowd?  Are the new song up to snuff?

ebk57 has a review you can find a few pages back and Broadway.com has videos on their website with the creators about the changes they made.

ebk57 has a review you can find a few pages back and Broadway.com has videos on their website with the creators about the changes they made.

As I recall, I like it a lot :-)

Did you get up in time to get rush tickets?  I hope so!

Did I mention that it was sweet of you to want to help me get HipTix to Cabaret when we're there in 2 weeks?  Problem is (other that you can't), is that although I will swear there was a Sunday night show listed for the 18th, it is no longer listed.  And since we already have our tickets for Saturday evening and Sunday matinee, we can't see Cabaret.  This does not make me happy.  That being said, does anyone have a suggestion for a show/concert activity for Sunday evening on the 18th?  I've checked the usual venues (54 Below, BB King's Blues Club, Iridium Cafe, etc) and can't come up with anything.  Thanks for any help.

Edited by ebk57

Did you get up in time to get rush tickets?  I hope so!

I did not. I got there too late. I don't know how many rush tickets there are but I think they're determined to sell most of the remaining tickets at full price because I checked telecharge before I left the house and there were plenty left. There are still 9 tickets left for tonight's performance as of me typing this. Debating whether to try again tomorrow. There are 30 orchestra tickets open tomorrow for the 3pm matinee and a bunch of tickets in the mezzanine. The box office opens later tomorrow (12) and though I don't relish the idea of standing in the rain I could probably get there at 10 and wait it out. I could get there at 9 of course but 3 hours seems excessive. TKTS seems like the safer option but it's more expensive ($49 to $35) and since it's just me I can't cover both bases.

And since we already have our tickets for Saturday evening and Sunday matinee, we can't see Cabaret.  This does not make me happy.  That being said, does anyone have a suggestion for a show/concert activity for Sunday evening on the 18th?

Boo. I think everyone who didn't already know Emma Stone was coming in (e.g. rabid Broadway fans) found out a month or so before her run and Hiptix tickets that weren't only sold started going pretty fast. ebk57, maybe check out this link that I posted before about off-Broadway shows. Playbill had an article on Sky Pony and the guests they'll have. Other than that, I can't think of anything else. Unless you want to see Honeymoon in Vegas or catch the Into the Woods movie. What days will you be here? I'll keep an eye out for anything good when I'm doing the theatre news roundup.

Thanks for the replies, guys...I am totally okay with the subject matter of Side Show, but the unmemorable songs in Act One following Come Look At The Freaks is an issue for me.  Are the new songs and lyrics a significant step-up?  I know the show has spectacle, but if the story and music have't improved I don't think I would enjoy it - so again: worth seeing?

I am thinking of making a crazy trip to see the show tomorrow.  So please stop me if the leads are still illj-defined as characters and the songs are still Meh.

I too called Telecharge and there seem to be quite a few tickets left.

Thanks aradia22!  We're coming in on Saturday the 17th and leaving on the 19th, so we're looking for a show on Sunday evening, the 18th.  Because it's a Sunday evening, the choices are limited.  Has anyone seen "Between Riverside and Crazy?"  I'm intrigued and can get tickets for $53... 

I hope you can get affordable tickets to see "Side Show" tomorrow, aradia22.  

DisneyBoy, I didn't see the original production and, in fact, had not heard any of the music and knew nothing of the show (although I did know what it was about) before I saw it at the Kennedy Center.  I can only say that I was quite pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did.  

Thanks for the replies, guys...I am totally okay with the subject matter of Side Show, but the unmemorable songs in Act One following Come Look At The Freaks is an issue for me.  Are the new songs and lyrics a significant step-up?  I know the show has spectacle, but if the story and music have't improved I don't think I would enjoy it - so again: worth seeing?

I would have told you had I seen the show tonight. But here's one person's opinion. I'm with you on the songs though. I wrote my thoughts after listening to the cast album for the first time a page or two back and I was underwhelmed. I do like the big numbers more than you but the rest left me flat and the lyrics have big problems.

Never did I think what I saw would come in -- I liked it less than the original. I found very few of the changes to be good ones. The Act I look into the girl's past? I thought it stopped the whole act. The ill-developed side story about Buddy being gay felt forced. None of the replacement songs felt like real winners to me. All in all, I thought this was an inferior production of a musical that flopped the first time around. The critics didn't agree with me.

New York's PBS Channel 13 showed a Jason Robert Brown concert recorded in 2011 last night and it will be rebroadcast 1:15 am Monday.  [...].He performs well, something you can't say about all songwriters/composers.  

I taped it. Because since getting the DVR I really can't be bothered to watch almost anything live that isn't an awards show. I personally love watching Alan Menken perform even if he isn't the best singer. JRB should be good considering he used to be an actor.