Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

This seems like more of a concert-y Encores production unless there are set pieces hiding somewhere that I'm not aware of. I'm OK sitting this one out but I hope someone casts Kyle Scatliffe in a great project soon. 

In commemoration of the opening of the 41st Broadway theatre, Sunday in the Park with George has announced the show will offer the front row orchestra seats to preview performances (February 11 - February 22) at $41, to celebrate the re-opening of Hudson Theatre as it becomes Broadway's 41st theater.

All $41 tickets will be available at Hudson Theatre box office (139-141 West 44th Street) on the day of the performance beginning at 10:00 am. (Limit two tickets per person, subject to availability. Tickets may be purchased in cash or with a valid credit card.)

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/SUNDAY-IN-THE-PARK-WITH-GEORGE-Celebrates-Broadways-41st-Theatre-with-41-Tickets-20170210

Actually quick thoughts on I Puritani at the Met tonight... this is the kind of nice, straightforward, classic production I sometimes want to see but don't get. Sure Romeo et Juliette was wonderful. And I enjoyed Tristan und Iseult in spite of the weird production. But sometimes you want people in period costumes on proper sets just doing the story and singing well without minimalism or some director's weird vision or projections or whatnot. This was that. It was great. Not as good as some other operas I've seen. It dragged a little especially with 2 "brief pauses" and 2 long intermissions. But the music was lovely and the voices were fantastic across the board, especially the tenor playing Arturo and Diana Damrau. I'm getting to the point where she's becoming a guarantee of a good show/automatic ticket purchase. 

2017 Free Shakespeare in the Park season

JULIUS CAESAR
Directed by Oskar Eustis

May 23- June 18

A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM
Directed by Lear deBessonet

July 11- August 13

Got the email today. Neither is a favorite but I'll be interested to see who they cast, particularly for the latter.

Very quick capsule report on my Saturday in NYC:

Matinee, Aladdin. I said beforehand I was going primarily to see the gloriously restored New Amsterdam Theater, and because a colleague from work plays in the pit. But in fact I enjoyed the dickens out of it. Those adapting it for the stage did a smart, compact job, and I felt like a kid again, in love with the color and magic possible in live theater. I was unexpectedly fortunate, as this was Adam Jacobs's last weekend, and James Monroe Iglehart's second-to-last (I had kind of assumed they were gone by now; they're entitled). So I saw them both, with pleasure, and even three years into the run, they (and the whole cast) achieved that freshness one always hopes for.

Evening, Big River at "Encores!" I saw the magnificent Deaf West production in 2003, and expected this one to lack the magic by comparison. But in fact it worked very well in all respects, and I'm glad to have seen it. A special salute to Nicholas Barasch, who has achieved a great deal in his teens (I loved him a couple years back in Edwin Drood too), and after this fine portrayal of Huckleberry Finn he's due to begin at Columbia U. in the fall. Now "Encores!" has two extraordinary rarities coming up: The New Yorkers and The Golden Apple.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 6

Thank you for checking in, Rinaldo. I wanted to hear your thoughts on Big River but I'm even more thrilled that you had such a splendid time at Aladdin. The original cast is wonderful.

OK, storytime... I can't ever see myself living anywhere else but New York. Maybe someday... but it's not something I can picture in the immediate future. In spite of the little annoyances and indignities (mostly MTA and crowd related) the good far outweighs the bad. And sometimes just by virtue of being in the city you get a chance to do something really special. I submitted my name for the Great Comet recording session and I did it early enough to make the cut. It was held at a concert venue I've been to once before a few blocks off of Lincoln Center. It looks like a former church. They told us to arrive at 6 and were checking names in the line. We were told to take a sheet of paper with our voice part (Soprano, Alto, Tenor... Bass? Unsure on the last one). They ended up being irrelevant. We also got a little postcard with a photo of the cast signed by Dave Malloy, Josh Groban, and Denee Benton and an egg shaker. They began when everyone was seated with these two random hosts. I'm not sure if the patter was planned or if they were just stalling until Dave Malloy and Josh Groban made it from where they were recording the album. It was a bit awkward to watch them ramble on and on and then try to get questions from the crowd. They seemed like the male equivalent of Patti and Emily but less adept at saying anything substantial. Dave and Josh showed up at 6:43 and then there was an audience Q&A until 7. At this point, things kicked into gear. We did Balaga first with the egg shakers. They went over it a few times. Then there were one or two practice rounds with the vocals. And then Dave Malloy conducted us on the final track. How many times in your life (if you're not a professional) can you say that a composer conducted you in performing his own work? Two ensemble members from the cast had also shown up at this point to help lead the crowd. Then we sang the chorus from The Abduction (Goodbye My Gypsy Lovers). This seemed poorly planned. Again, all the voice parts were sitting jumbled up. There were no lyrics and a lot of people ended up pulling them up on their phones... or else they were superfans who had it memorized. He played the soprano/tenor and alto/bass lines once or twice and then just let us go. It took a couple of tries but I guess they had a take they were happy with? I think with him just playing the piano in the middle of the room it was hard to really get a grasp on the tenor/soprano harmony line and also with people looking at their phones for the lyrics and also not having seen the sheet music or having a firm grasp on the rhythm to start and stop at the right times. But Dave Malloy is really charming and made the crowd laugh a lot. It was a very unique experience and if it was controlled chaos it was the fun, joyous sort. 

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

Evening, Big River at "Encores!" I saw the magnificent Deaf West production in 2003, and expected this one to lack the magic by comparison. But in fact it worked very well in all respects, and I'm glad to have seen it. A special salute to Nicholas Barasch, who has achieved a great deal in his teens (I loved him a couple years back in Edwin Drood too), and after this fine portrayal of Huckleberry Finn he's due to begin at Columbia U. in the fall. Now "Encores!" has two extraordinary rarities coming up: The New Yorkers and The Golden Apple.

Everything I've read by people I trust (a group that includes you) flies in the face of the review by the woman who replaced Charles Isherwood at the Times.

I finished On Broadway: From Rent to Revolution by Drew Hodges last night. I would say it's worth picking up... but from the library. I don't feel the need to re-read it or keep it. I'd be interested to read a more involved book from Drew or from Spotco one day. But while there were enjoyable parts, it was just too mixed in quality as a coffee table book of random anecdotes. I'm trying to finish books cover to cover this year or I would have skipped around more. Not everyone featured in the book is a writer if you know what I mean.

Also... OMG SARA BAREILLES IS STEPPING INTO WAITRESS. She’ll play the leading role of Jenna Hunterson for a 10-week run from March 31 through June 11, replacing Tony Award winner Jessie Mueller. As previously reported, Mueller will take her final bow at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre on March 26.

• Love 3

We did Crazy for You in production at our theatre.  I don't know what it weirds me out that it's being revived already.  And I know, it's not really "already."  It's a fun show, but it never struck me as one for the ages.

Off to NY today.  Hamilton tonight - yay!!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

I don't know what it weirds me out that it's being revived already.  And I know, it's not really "already."

It's not really "revived" either. It's a one-night staged concert, marking the show's 25th anniversary.

I caught a showing, too.  It was my first time seeing the stage version of Newsies, and I had a blast.  Pound for pound, I think this show might get more mileage out of its ensemble than any other.  They had such a full sound when they were all singing together ("Brooklyn's Here" is my jam,) and the DANCING!  Holy crap - they got a standing ovation in the middle of Act I (after "Seize the Day") just on the sheer awesomeness of their dancing.  It's a show where you quickly learn to get excited when the main characters go sit off to the side on a chair or a crate or something, 'cause that means the ensemble's about to tear it up.

Also, I think seeing the recording of it helped unlock Jeremy Jordan's Jack for me.  I can't quite say why - his voice is obviously amazing, clearly better than Christian Bale's in the movie, and his singing was the only thing that kept me from hating Jimmy on Smash - but I was never able to connect with him as Jack on the cast recording.  Is that blasphemy?  Somewhere between the force of the singing, the thickness of the accent, and the strength of the emotion, it sort of felt like he was THROWING his words at me and I thought it was too overpowering.  Now, having seen the performance to go with it?  Not only did it click onscreen, but I've been enjoying his songs a lot more on the cast recording, too.  Especially "Santa Fe"; seeing Jordan fall apart up there on the scaffolding, I was really struck by how YOUNG Jack is and the enormity of what he's doing, and it made perfect sense for him to be so distraught.

• Love 4

Interesting to read that about Jack - the character of Elphaba didn't click for me either until I finally saw a young performer playing her and realized why the Wicked Witch of the West would be such an emotional mess. I guess I was so used to seeing women in their thirties play the part that it never made any sense to me that she was so ineffectual as a rebel. But she isn't in her thirties - she's barely in her twenties!

• Love 1

This just struck me...why does Sunday in the Park with George, a musical about the best-known pointillist painter (and painting), have a logo incorporating fairly standard brushstrokes?  

90.jpeg

• Love 1

VERY quick thoughts on Great Comet... I'll get into it more later. I enjoyed it. The music definitely works better in person than on the original album, though I don't know how much of that is helped by having Groban's voice in the mix which is occasionally growly but undeniably beautiful. Denee Benton works better in Act 1 for me because she just has such a perfect, excitable Disney princess quality that's so instantly captivating. I think a lot of plot issues are probably from the original and the fact that they're only adapting a small section. But I do think it also captured that 18th-19th century novel vibe of Jane Austen and introspection and social conventions. You learn to watch the show as it goes along as long as you give yourself up to it. It wasn't the most emotionally satisfying night but it was a generally good piece of theatre and a fun experience. 

• Love 1

I saw Beardo tonight. Comparing it to Dave Malloy's Great Comet and Preludes I don't think it's as good as either one. I didn't see Ghost Quartet. Tickets range from $25-$40 and yeah, I'd probably pay that to see it again (though it's closing at the beginning of March and I did not have fun trying to get out to Greenpoint to see it... it's right by the train station but it was a really long train ride out). There are some great singers in the cast though their voices weren't as unique as the ones cast in Great Comet or Hadestown. But they did have the showiness of some of the Great Comet singers. A lot of high notes, a lot of volume... though not really riffs and that kind of showiness. The lyrics were simple but not stupid or bad. I'm still putting my thoughts together in a more articulate way but... I think there's a kind of push with newer musical theatre writers to apply more of the vernacular or kind of simplify things into basic emotion. I was already getting that in Great Comet but in this (Dave Malloy only did the music, someone else did the book and lyrics) it was even simpler. It was a good experience show. I can't say it was very memorable. Hummable melodies aside, even the story didn't make much of an impression. It's a take on Rasputin as a kind of sexualized, charming cult-leader type possessed by an actual spirit that gives him some influence over people. Picture... Berger from Hair with some shades of Jesus Christ Superstar. I don't know. It feels like a lot of choices that would have felt cheap or lazy in less deft hands but I can't say those choices were actually good either just because they managed to pull it off. 

I'll give them credit though. Both with Great Comet last night and Beardo tonight the running times were very long (pushing 3 hours) and for the most part, I was engaged enough that it didn't bother me. 

• Love 1

Saw the filmed production of Newsies last night.  It's a fun show, and as others have said, the dancing is amazing.  In fact, that touches on my only real problem with the film:  there were too many closeups for my taste, when I really wanted to see the entirety of the choreography.  The strike fight scene in particular struck me as a bad Batman episode, with all the weird camera moves and such.  But, I'll certainly still end up buying it when Disney inevitably releases it.  

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Scott said:

Saw the filmed production of Newsies last night.  It's a fun show, and as others have said, the dancing is amazing.  In fact, that touches on my only real problem with the film:  there were too many closeups for my taste, when I really wanted to see the entirety of the choreography.  The strike fight scene in particular struck me as a bad Batman episode, with all the weird camera moves and such.  But, I'll certainly still end up buying it when Disney inevitably releases it.  

I never saw the stage version, and I thought the filmed version was incredible! I am so incredibly glad that Disney did this before it was too late for Jeremy Jordan to play Jack Kelly. Luckily for us they only waited a couple of years, and luckily for Disney Jeremy Jordan still looked within reason. It always kind of takes me out of watching Rent when I think about how old Roger looks, but Jeremy Jordan really did manage to sell Jack's youth even though he's in his 30's. I do think wearing the hat helps maintain the illusion, though. And if anyone's going to look kind of rough for 17, it'd be a kid who lives on the streets.

I wonder if all the Jack/David slash fans from the movie version were annoyed at how much they downplayed that relationship in favor of Kate "Plummer." I do think it was a smart idea to drop the sister and make the reporter a young girl love interest because this story is at its heart about the Progressive Moment in America at the turn of the century, and changing roles for women were a part of that. And sometimes you need to just drop characters that don't work. If Diner The Musical ever manages to make it to Off-Broadway or Broadway they really, really need to drop Modell, my god that character was pointless.

Disney's apparently doing an encore. I totally hope they'll do one by me. I would totally see this again.

In other news...I saw Delaware Theater Company's production of White Guy on the Bus. I really was expecting a heart-warming drama about two very different souls striking up a friendship, so color me shocked when it turned out

Spoiler

Ray only befriended Shatique so that he could bribe her to get her brother to kill the black student that murdered Ray's wife.

Really shocked by that, and it really has the makings of something incredible there. I also loved the Philadelphia setting, because you really do see some huge pockets of poverty there next to, or being encroached by, affluent privilege.

It's going to Off-Broadway in March- I definitely recommend the show to people who regularly go to Off-Broadway. And I had such a little fanboy moment at realizing Robert Cuccioli (Ray) was Jekyll. (He looked super-familiar then I looked it up.) I was really into listening to Jekyll and Hyde's soundtrack when I saw a dinner theater production.

Edited by methodwriter85

I've been listening to a lot of Dear Evan Hansen tonight on YouTube, and it will be really interesting if Pasek and Paul get an Oscar for La La Land and a Tony for Dear Evan Hansen in the same year.

"Waving Through a Window" is such a good song.  I'd love to see Ben Platt get the Tony.

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 2

The producers of the Broadway hit Waitress have announced that on March 31, TV star Chris Diamantopoulos will star opposite Sara Bareilles as Dr. Pomatter. After a brief - 15 year - hiatus, Chris returns to Broadway where he began his stage career in Les Miserables and The Full Monty. 

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/WAITRESS-Welcomes-Chris-Diamantopoulos-in-the-Role-of-Dr-Pomatter-Next-Month-20170224

Settling in to write some reviews tonight. I don't know if I'll get to all of them but I have to review Beardo, 9 Circles, Kid Victory, Great Comet, and Waitress so those are at least coming if they aren't posted tonight. 

• Love 1

Now that Pasek and Paul have won an Oscar, if they win a Tony and Grammy for Dear Evan Hansen (and from the reviews I've read they have a good chance) they'll be 3/4 of the way to an EGOT. I am aware that they are separate people, but they do like to work together. 

Speaking of Dear Evan Hansen, Ben Platt is probably happy that Sunday in the Park (and by extension Jake G) have withdrawn from Tony consideration.

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

The 2017 Encores! Off-Center season will open with Stephen Sondheim and John Weidman's Assassins, directed by Anne Kauffman, July 12 through 15, and close with Carole King and Maurice Sendak's Really Rosie, directed by Leigh Silverman, August 2 through 5. The season will also include a special two-night-only engagement (July 26 and 27) of Kirsten Childs' The Bubbly Black Girl Sheds Her Chameleon Skin, directed by Robert O'Hara.

OH MY GOD, THEY'RE DOING ASSASSINS. 

http://www.broadwayworld.com/off-broadway/article/Encores-Off-Center-Season-to-Feature-ASSASSINS-REALLY-ROSIE-and-More-20170227?

• Love 1

Eh, Assassins was done on Broadway just over a decade ago, and it's done constantly regionally. Not much of a rarity, such as this series usually provides, unless they have some Little Shop- style legacy casting in mind.

I've never seen it onstage. I saw video that an amateur production posted of themselves online but that was years ago and I think the person took it down. And of course I've listened to the albums. So I'm excited, especially since Encores seems to put together great casts, especially of late. I'm less interested in legacy casting and more interested in the fiery young performers they might cast. There's a real intensity to the show and the subject matter and it makes me excited to think about who they might be able to get. And it's more of an ensemble show which opens up a lot of opportunities. Though, if they wanted to cast someone like Steven Pasquale, that would be fine, too.

(Not throwing that out as a serious suggestion in case someone is about to tell me about the TV show he's doing or something.)

• Love 2
On 2/27/2017 at 3:56 PM, Silver Raven said:

I got my tickets for the summer theater season.
Beauty & The Beast
On The Town
9 to 5
Damn Yankees
Sister Act

They're doing On the Town again? The revival of a couple years ago was pretty magnificent.

• Love 1

That's no use to the good people of... Sacramento, is it? They deserve to see some live theater too. :)

I agree about the magnificence of the On the Town revival, of course. I figure that anybody in the NYC area with any interest in musicals got themselves to it, but that leaves out a lot of people elsewhere.

• Love 3
(edited)

I need to ask a question of those of you planning on seeing the revival of Sunset Boulevard with Glenn Close, or who have already seen it - how do you get past the voice?

In the 90s I was really impressed with her vocal ability since I didn't think she possessed any. I've since watched the bootleg with Betty Buckley and she is the gold standard in the role of Norma for me. I would easily go to see her in this revival, or any other vocally trained Broadway performer too. But Glenn Close...with diminished vocal capacities...?

That kind of turns me off. I know people are saying to go for the acting, but it isn't a play - it's a musical. Plus there's lots of weird things happening in this revival, like a floating Joe dummy at the top of the stage and ghost Norma wandering around like she's looking for a snack in the fridge. I didn't need to have a huge set the way they did in the 90s, but I did need to have something to look at. Glenn isn't even wearing all of her original costumes and turbans which is a bummer since I don't think much of that red wig I keep seeing her in in the publicity photos.

Apparently she's tweaked her performance as well, making her Norma less deranged and more soft and human. I definitely think that's a good idea because from what I've seen in bootlegs from the 90s she kind of played the character like a super villain.

Still, some have said the audience is laughing during the final staircase scene, which leads me to believe she might still be going over the top in a way that I wouldn't enjoy.

I guess I just want to be able to see a really good performance and I feel like there's so much hype around this revival that isn't justified. The fact that it has a large orchestra is definitely a plus, but I've heard nothing good about the supporting cast and the most anyone seems able to say about Glenn Close is that they're glad they got a second chance to see her. Is this just a case of hype overwhelming people's criticisms?

Edited by DisneyBoy
2 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Ah. Is Silver Raven in Sacramento? Somehow I missed that. (I'm also missing it as I go back through the topic. But I trust it's there somewhere!) (Or is it?)

As I tried to indicate in my reply, I wasn't 100% sure about Sacramento. But it seemed clear to me that this is the summer season of someplace other than NYC. And the only such situation I remember being reviewed here in years past, in detail for which I was grateful, was the summer-musicals series in Sacramento. So few cities any more have such a series at all, though it used to be fairly commonplace, so hooray for them. And yes -- a quick search reveals that this is indeed the Sacramento summer series.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Ah. Is Silver Raven in Sacramento? Somehow I missed that. (I'm also missing it as I go back through the topic. But I trust it's there somewhere!) (Or is it?)

Yes, I'm in the Sacramento area.  We have an annual summer musicals season, with one production always geared towards kids.  It's Beauty and the Beast this year.

I also have a ticket for Gentleman's Guide next weekend. I don't know who's in it.

10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I need to ask a question of those of you planning on seeing the revival of Sunset Boulevard with Glenn Close, or who have already seen it - how do you get past the voice?

One of the stupidest theater-related things I've done (if that's even a category) was _not_ go to see the original LA production of Sunset Blvd. because I didn't want to drive all the way from the Valley to Century City.  (Ugh.)  So, I'm making up for that when I go to NY later this month.  As for the sets, and the production, and the voice...well, I'll deal with what I get, and enjoy it appropriately.  

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Scott said:

One of the stupidest theater-related things I've done (if that's even a category) was _not_ go to see the original LA production of Sunset Blvd. because I didn't want to drive all the way from the Valley to Century City.  (Ugh.)  So, I'm making up for that when I go to NY later this month.  As for the sets, and the production, and the voice...well, I'll deal with what I get, and enjoy it appropriately.  

Heh.  I saw that.  I was living in LA at the time.  :)

• Love 1