Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

Glenn Close to the Palace in February 2017 for Sunset Boulevard (video)

I still haven't listened to the album and not thinking much of her singing voice + what is said to be a bare bones staging does not have me excited for this. I think I'll save my money for Natasha Pierre and War Paint and Anastasia. Speaking of saving money, I've been listening to Kristen Chenoweth's "The Art of Elegance" on Spotify. While some vocals are a little emotionally flat, it's actually surprisingly good. It's no "Let Yourself Go" but it's respectable as both a theatre album and a jazz album. I'm probably still not going to spring for tickets but I'm going to feel bad about it.

Reading the BWW thread on Sunday in the Park with George it seems the staging/direction weren't really there but at least from this photo it seems like they did something with the final painting. 

Thanks, Rinaldo. I got all excited when I saw this "discount" and tried to rationalize the expense.

For me, theater has become one of those habits where I'm becoming more comfortable spending more and I don't consider that a great thing considering how many shows I try to see.

• Love 1

Tickets for "She Loves Me" can be purchased beginning Friday, October 28, online by visitingwww.FathomEvents.com or at participating theater box offices. Fans throughout the U.S. will be able to enjoy the event in nearly 500 select movie theaters. 

I saw it early in the run. Then I had a ticket for the original closing but there was subway trouble but I was unable to post-date it. I skipped the livestream and I haven't subscribed to BroadwayHD. I didn't completely love it when I saw it in the theater but I feel like I need to revisit it. Maybe a December 1 date at the movies is what I need?

Grease, Hairspray... obviously it's time for Bye Bye Birdie. They actually don't cast these things that young and I'm not sure how many young people (e.g. teenagers) actually tune in but I suppose relatively speaking it does fit the "family friendly" vibe without being a Disney musical. Jennifer Lopez will be Rosie which is very interesting casting. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. It's also interesting that of all the roles in the show, they cast Rosie first. I feel positive about that.

It doesn't seem indicative of anything more than Jennifer Lopez being the star they were able to snag, that made NBC willing to commit to the project. The crucial role to cast is Albert, and recent high-profile productions have foundered on that point. A big name or personality isn't enough, he has to have actual skills, specifically something to offer in the dance area (see John Stamos, whose lack of mobility turned "Put On a Happy Face" into an embarrassment instead of a showstopper) as well as the right dominating-yet-ineffectual personal qualities. That Roundabout production also showed that it's a mistake to cast the teenagers with actual teenagers -- well, it demonstrated lots of mistakes that can happen.

Perhaps I should clarify that A) I'm glad they thought it was important to cast an (arguably prominent) Latina actress and B) while casting her first doesn't mean she's the star, casting someone with some level of fame means they think the character is more than a supporting role. BBB is not the most dramatically complex musical by any means but Rosie has one of the more compelling storylines... certainly compared to Kim or Conrad. I could have easily seen them cast one of those roles first with someone like Ariana Grande or Justin Timberlake. (Those are not suggestions, just two random names my brain came up with.) I think perhaps Albert could be a Broadway talent or at least someone with a lot of experience like Neil Patrick Harris. If they pack the rest of the show with "starpower," NBC has shown they're not afraid to cast some Broadway actors to fill out the cast (Laura Benanti, Christian Borle, etc.).

I'm also glad they thought (or maybe nobody in charge thought, and they were just lucky) that casting someone with appropriate dance skills (more so than I'd realized before I looked up her biography) was as important as ethnicity. Rosie has to carry some big dance moments, and they can fall dreadfully flat if she's not up to it (cf. Vanessa Williams, Gina Gershon). We'll have to see where they turn for Albert; big a fan as I am of Neil Patrick Harris, the eccentricity that's a big part of his appeal seems unlikely to mesh with that character, who is a "regular guy" who unexpectedly discovers other sides. Men for Mr. MacAfee have also become oddly hard to find too; George Wendt was all wrong, and Bill Irwin was one of the 5 most unforgivable performances I've ever seen. I wish them well. The big mistake to avoid will be including the ghastly title song that was written (at gunpoint) for Ann-Margret to perform in the movie; the writers hoped they had created something so unusable that the producers would throw it out (contractual obligation fulfilled)... but no, they loved it. It doesn't belong in the stage show, but that didn't prevent those who made the telefilm from plastering it all over everywhere.

Kelli O'Hara Carnegie Hall solo debut tonight... INCREDIBLE. Will revisit but just so good. I think this is the first Carnegie concert where I don't have to temper my praise. It not only met but exceeded expectations. 

The Ars Nova thing got resolved. Also, there's a unconfirmed rumor on BWW that Here Lies Love might be heading to San Francisco. Of course disposable income is always an issue but that show and The Bridges of Madison County are two of the ones I continually berate myself for missing.

The Hamilton Mixtape tracklist drops and is available for pre-order tomorrow

1. “No John Trumbull” (Intro) - The Roots
2. “My Shot” (feat. Busta Rhymes, Joell Ortiz & Nate Ruess) [Rise Up Remix] - The Roots
3. “Wrote My Way Out” - Nas, Dave East, Lin-Manuel Miranda & Aloe Blacc
4. “Wait For It” - Usher
5. “An Open Letter” (feat. Shockwave) [Interlude] - Watsky
6. “Satisfied” (feat. Miguel & Queen Latifah) - Sia
7. “Dear Theodosia” (feat. Ben Folds) - Regina Spektor
8. “Valley Forge” (Demo) - Lin-Manuel Miranda
9. “It's Quiet Uptown” - Kelly Clarkson
10. “That Would Be Enough” - Alicia Keys
11. “Immigrants (We Get The Job Done)” - K'naan, Snow Tha Product, Riz MC, Residente
12. “You'll Be Back” - Jimmy Fallon & The Roots
13. “Helpless” (feat. Ja Rule) - Ashanti
14. “Take A Break” (Interlude) - !llmind
15. “Say Yes To This” - Jill Scott
16. “Congratulations” - Dessa
17. “Burn” - Andra Day
18. “Stay Alive” (Interlude) - J.PERIOD & Stro Elliot
19. “Slavery Battle” (Demo) - Lin-Manuel Miranda
20. “Washingtons By Your Side” - Wiz Khalifa
21. “History Has Its Eyes On You” - John Legend
22. “Who Tells Your Story” (feat. Common & Ingrid Michaelson) - The Roots
23. “Dear Theodosia” (Reprise) - Chance The Rapper & Francis and The Lights

I'm sure most broadway fans will hate this/not know who most of these people are BUT as someone that loves broadway as much as I love rap, R&B and pop I'm so so SO pumped. He has ASHANTI singing Helpless.

ASHANTI!

• Love 2

Saw the tour of Hedwig and the Angry Inch in LA on Tuesday.  I'd never seen the show before, and I gotta say I really enjoyed it.  Darren Criss was playing Hedwig (he's doing it these first two stops on the tour, in SF and LA), with Lena Hall reprising her Yitzhak.  She was great, of course, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good he was in his role.  

Edited by Scott
On November 3, 2016 at 0:52 PM, Scott said:

Saw the tour of Hedwig and the Angry Inch in LA on Tuesday.  I'd never seen the show before, and I gotta say I really enjoyed it.  Darren Criss was playing Hedwig (he's doing it these first two stops on the tour, in SF and LA), with Lena Hall reprising her Yitzhak.  She was great, of course, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good he was in his role.  

Darren doesn't have a powerful Broadway voice, but IMO he does have a good rock voice. " Hedwig" is a good fit for him.

• Love 1

The Color Purple will play its final performance on January 8.

King Charles III TV adaptation. Charlotte Riley will play Kate Middleton, replacing Lydia Wilson. Tim Pigott-Smith returns to the title role of Charles, with Oliver Chris as William, Richard Goulding as Harry and Margot Leicester as Camilla. Also joining the cast are Priyanga Burford and Tamara Lawrance. The play originally ran at the Almeida Theatre. Rupert Goold is directing. Shooting begins this month on the 90-minute drama in and around Leeds for air in 2017. BBC Two carries it in the UK.

On 11/3/2016 at 8:42 AM, JessePinkman said:

The Hamilton Mixtape tracklist drops and is available for pre-order tomorrow

1. “No John Trumbull” (Intro) - The Roots
2. “My Shot” (feat. Busta Rhymes, Joell Ortiz & Nate Ruess) [Rise Up Remix] - The Roots
3. “Wrote My Way Out” - Nas, Dave East, Lin-Manuel Miranda & Aloe Blacc
4. “Wait For It” - Usher
5. “An Open Letter” (feat. Shockwave) [Interlude] - Watsky
6. “Satisfied” (feat. Miguel & Queen Latifah) - Sia
7. “Dear Theodosia” (feat. Ben Folds) - Regina Spektor
8. “Valley Forge” (Demo) - Lin-Manuel Miranda
9. “It's Quiet Uptown” - Kelly Clarkson
10. “That Would Be Enough” - Alicia Keys
11. “Immigrants (We Get The Job Done)” - K'naan, Snow Tha Product, Riz MC, Residente
12. “You'll Be Back” - Jimmy Fallon & The Roots
13. “Helpless” (feat. Ja Rule) - Ashanti
14. “Take A Break” (Interlude) - !llmind
15. “Say Yes To This” - Jill Scott
16. “Congratulations” - Dessa
17. “Burn” - Andra Day
18. “Stay Alive” (Interlude) - J.PERIOD & Stro Elliot
19. “Slavery Battle” (Demo) - Lin-Manuel Miranda
20. “Washingtons By Your Side” - Wiz Khalifa
21. “History Has Its Eyes On You” - John Legend
22. “Who Tells Your Story” (feat. Common & Ingrid Michaelson) - The Roots
23. “Dear Theodosia” (Reprise) - Chance The Rapper & Francis and The Lights

I'm sure most broadway fans will hate this/not know who most of these people are BUT as someone that loves broadway as much as I love rap, R&B and pop I'm so so SO pumped. He has ASHANTI singing Helpless.

ASHANTI!

But... No "Schuyler Sisters"?

2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Ah! I missed Gypsy, ebk57. Thanks for letting us know anyway. I wonder if they'll replay it or post it on the site. I think it's also on BroadwayHD. 

Oh right - I did bring this up here (it was also discussed in the PBS thread and has it's own thread in the Specials category- which is far too many places for this).

I love the show, but this production didn't do much for me.  I've never seen Imelda Staunton in anything.  She can certainly sing.  But her Rose was almost unhinged through the whole show.  Way too over the top for me.  The only place it worked was Rose's Turn.  I could see how that would have worked wonderfully in an actual theatre, even though it didn't quite work on TV.  Otherwise, nothing stood out for me during the evening.  I'm glad I watched it because now I'm not interested in seeing it if it comes to NY. 

If you can see it on PBS (or on the website), or if you've already subscribed to BroadwayHD, by all means, give it a shot if you're at all interested.  I wouldn't buy it on BroadwayHD though.

Let me say that my favorite part of the show was Lin-Manuel introducing it as part of the PBS Fall Arts Festival.

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 1

That's very interesting -- but also puzzling. It was well advertised that Audra McDonald was going to be leaving the production for a period of several months starting in July, to fulfill a previous engagement (Lady Day in London, I believe). Then the surprise pregnancy happened, and her departure was announced in advance, perhaps two weeks sooner than had been otherwise planned. Her replacement had even been announced. And then the closing notice went out, the claimed reason being a precipitous drop in advance sales after her departure. So I don't see how the producers can claim that this is a situation caused solely by impending motherhood. She would have been leaving around that time anyway. I'm surprised that Lloyd's isn't mentioning this in their response.

Actually, the performers should look into suing the producers of Shuffle Along. Something was severely amiss in the planning and financing of the production, and possibly in the securing of rights to the Blake-Sissle catalogue. The fact that they didn't have enough of a cushion to keep running for a while when the advance sales dropped, the failure to make a recording (actually, this is one of the rare production with enough cultural importance that they should have felt a responsibility to preserve it on video)... there was a lot of wrong handling there.

• Love 3

I've been really lazy about writing Show Score reviews lately. I think now that they let you write more I feel more pressure to let my thoughts come together so I can write them out properly.

But I wanted to tell you about Sell/Buy/Date. If you're in the city and you have the time for a thoughtful, critical play it's really good. On a surface level, Sarah Jones is just giving an incredible performance. Yeah, there are a lot of people who are good at accents and I've seen quite a bit of that lately but her accents are perfection AND she is fully inhabiting all of these different characters. As a one person show/acting challenge it is amazing, partly because you never really see the effort. She does it so capably and she only takes the smallest pauses for breaks over 90 minutes. As a play, I thought it was really thoughtful and critical examination of the whole conversation around sex work and prostitution. She plays through an entire debate and doesn't short change any perspective. And it's still smart and funny. It's structured like a lecture but only as a framing device for a series of monologues. That said, if you're not too familiar with basic gender studies, identity politics, etc. discourse you might lose a little bit of it but I think it's worthwhile anyway. The woman next to me was crazy (gum chewing, feet on the seat in front of her, etc.) but I still loved the experience. It's rare to get a play that's so well executed and thoughtful and smart in its presentation of its subject matter and argument. I do think the argument suffers a little because you're so caught up in the compelling thing happening at that moment that it's hard to go back later and recall everything so you can really debate the finer points of each person's perspective and the future world she posits is a little too utopian (at least from my liberal perspective, others might think it sounds dystopian). 

In other news... Melissa Errico and Ryan Silverman in Finian's Rainbow??? Why? There are too many shows. I can't afford this season.

• Love 2

According to Broadway.com this is the current lineup of shows performing on the Thanksgiving Day Parade broadcasts

NBC- Cats, Holiday Inn, Waitress, Paramour, Hairspray Live

CBS- The Color Purple, School of Rock, On Your Feet

I get the spring shows holding off but no In Transit? No A Bronx Tale? No Natasha Pierre? No Dear Evan Hansen? No Falsettos? OK, maybe Natasha Pierre doesn't think they need it or that the show will be shown to its best advantage but In Transit and to a lesser extent A Bronx Tale seem to need the publicity.

I hope it's OK for me to post this here and not in Current Events/Politics but I just think it's hilarious that anyone thinks they can effectively boycott Hamilton. Have you seen their box office numbers? The resale market? Do you understand how difficult it is to get tickets? 

• Love 5

I was looking on Gilt City and for some reason Anastasia has these offers up. It strikes me as being different than a show being on TDF or being on Gilt later when it's not selling well. Any thoughts?

Early access to one ticket to “Anastasia” at Broadhurst Theatre; valid for select performances from March 23, 2017 through May 24, 2017 (select date upon redemption)

One Front Orchestra ticket to “Anastasia” at Broadhurst Theatre on Friday, April 28, 2017 at 8 PM/Meet-and-greet with select cast members following the show

13 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I hope it's OK for me to post this here and not in Current Events/Politics but I just think it's hilarious that anyone thinks they can effectively boycott Hamilton. Have you seen their box office numbers? The resale market? Do you understand how difficult it is to get tickets? 

I had a good laugh at seeing that trending on Twitter. Hamilton is damn near impossible to see because it's sold out like 4 years past the end of time; that's like boycotting a trip to Saturn.

• Love 3

Shows that have announced Broadway openings or are currently playing that have not announced appearances on the Thanksgiving Day Parade...

Amelia, Anastasia, A Bronx Tale, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Dear Evan Hansen, Come From Away, Falsettos, Groundhog Day, Hello Dolly, In Transit, Miss Saigon, Natasha Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812, War Paint

We might get some surprises from perhaps A Bronx Tale or In Transit but as of now, I'm not excited.

@Milburn Stone I posted about it somewhere on this thread but I'm glad it translated well. The actual number is longer (and I think they might have mashed up two numbers) and they definitely just threw Corbin in there because he's not in either of those numbers. The whole number is longer and the build to the jump ropes is really great. I think if you know what you're going to get, it's not a bad show. Personally, I would have been OK with it if the acting had been better.

The only number that made me want to see the show was indeed the number (two songs, actually, as announced) from Holiday Inn. I definitely want to see it now; all the elements have good pedigree and looked (and sounded). And I was wondering why they weren't pushing Corbin Bleu, as he's the one name in the show that might have some meaning for their general TV audience (besides being a terrific musical performer), so I'm glad they included him. Maybe I can manage a day trip in January.

None of the other numbers made the slightest impression on me.

And I was wondering why they weren't pushing Corbin Bleu, as he's the one name in the show that might have some meaning for their general TV audience (besides being a terrific musical performer), so I'm glad they included him.

Do report back if you see the show! I'd be interested to hear what you think. Corbin has been doing Broadway.com vlogs but I haven't gotten around to watching them. As for the parade, I think the issue is that the numbers where he shines don't show off the show that well. He has one amazing solo tap number towards the end of the show but I think they wanted to show more of the cast. Based on my memory of the numbers in the show, I think they made the right call.

Reminded of the theater background of Florence Henderson, pre-Brady Bunch.  It appears her big break was in Fanny.  There was a lengthy segment of the Ed Sullivan Show devoted to the first anniversary of the show.  She's not prominent in the segment, but you do get an idea of her vocal ability and what the show was like.  Encores did it a few years ago, I didn't see it.  It appears quite operetta-ish. 

Don't recall the source of this anecdote, but it stuck with me.  Mary Martin, whose major roles Ms. H. played in stock or on tour, met her and said, "Florence, you're the best singer around.  Who's your teacher?"  And when Ms. H. told her, evidently Ms. M. went and took some lessons from the teacher.

• Love 1

Fanny is sort of School of Rodgers & Hammerstein of that era, a moderately serious musical play with, as you say, operetta aspirations at times. It was first imagined as a mini South Pacific reunion with Ezio Pinza, Mary Martin, and William Tabbert (the original Cable). They got two of the three, but Martin was both unavailable and, she felt after Annie Oakley and Nellie Forbush, no longer capable of the ingenue soprano sound they had in mind. Hence Florence Henderson, who at that time was just that type. (I hadn't heard the voice teacher story before, but it doesn't surprise.)

A decade or so later, Henderson herself did South Pacific, in a big Lincoln Center production (back in the days of their early summer festivals of musicals), opposite Giorgio Tozzi who had provided the voice for the movie. They made a recording, and she's marvelous on it. Here's one track from it.

55 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

A decade or so later, Henderson herself did South Pacific, in a big Lincoln Center production (back in the days of their early summer festivals of musicals), opposite Giorgio Tozzi who had provided the voice for the movie. They made a recording, and she's marvelous on it. Here's one track from it.

Wow! Those repeated "I'm in loves" at the end are thrilling!

I'm too tired to get into it right now but I recommend The Band's Visit. It's not Dirty Rotten Scoundrels good but then it's a different kind of show. It's a smaller story about real people. It's masterfully done in that way that seems effortless. It's not perfect (and I'll break that down at some point) but it's imperfect in a different way than many flawed shows are imperfect. It's not the "Oh, God I wish this were better" or "I see where this failed" kind of imperfect. It's a genuinely solid show that let's you think about the choices that were made instead of critiquing more indisputable weaknesses. Great use of the stage. Great use of the ensemble. I loved the way the whole thing reflected an appreciation for music and musicians. I love that it largely trusted audience and didn't spoon-feed. It managed to tell many stories successfully... One criticism could be that the stories don't really get resolved but I don't think that's the point. I haven't seen the movie it's based on but knowing it was submitted (but not accepted) for the Foreign Language Oscar, you can definitely see it and if you like that sensibility, I think you'll be really happy with this show. It's smart and funny and avoids a lot of pitfalls. Even when I didn't love a choice they made, it didn't bother me. It wasn't the kind of thing that ruined my experience of the show. And amazingly, no misogyny. Miracle of miracles.