Type keyword(s) to search

Sugar Rush - General Discussion

starri
  • Start Topic

Funny story, I have a small bakery business that I named Sugar Rush, so every time someone says "Sugar Rush" on the show, it makes me think they're talking about me.  😉

I don't remember which episode it was, but there were two girls who said that they had an advantage because they went to culinary school.  They were the ones that made the "yolk".  The really funny thing is that my daughter (who is a pastry chef and ALSO went to culinary school) had just made something similar at the restaurant she works at, so I could really see the culinary school coming into play. 

I always want to know which culinary school people went to when they say they attended one on these cooking shows, but they never say it.  I asked my daughter while I was watching this episode if they are told by their instructors they're not allowed to say their school name on competition shows, etc  (because I find it so odd that no one EVER says!).  She laughed and said no, they're allowed to say it, but the name is such a mouthful so she doesn't really say it either.  She went to the Culinary Institute of America.  I still think it's weird that no one says where they went to school.  

• Love 1
On 8/5/2019 at 11:02 AM, Whimsy said:

I asked my daughter while I was watching this episode if they are told by their instructors they're not allowed to say their school name on competition shows, etc  (because I find it so odd that no one EVER says!).  She laughed and said no, they're allowed to say it, but the name is such a mouthful so she doesn't really say it either.  She went to the Culinary Institute of America.  I still think it's weird that no one says where they went to school.  

Don't people normally just say they went to CIA? That's what I've always heard it called.

15 minutes ago, GaT said:

Don't people normally just say they went to CIA? That's what I've always heard it called.

Usually, but people not in the "know" get confused about CIA and think she's an international spy lol

5 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

The host seems way to hyper and fake smiley.

And he has all of the teeth.

I dunno, I kind of like him and also think he's pretty hot.

One of the guys in the earlier episodes of the second season was drooling over him, while his boyfriend was standing right there.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

I liked the format of the first season better, with the results of the confection round announced before they start the cake round.

It looks like the clock keeps running while the judges talk to the bakers.  This is extremely unfair to bakers who hit their buzzer while the judges are at another table -- they have to wait until the judges are done before they can even start.  (Some confirmation -- it looked like one couple hit their buzzer with 25 minutes to go, but they were only given 11 minutes after the judges were through.)

• Love 4

This is a special edition of the Netflix competitive baking series "Sugar Rush" that premiered on Netflix on November 29, 2019.

The original host Hunter March returns along with permanent judges Candace Nelson and Adriano Zumbo. In each episode a different special guest B list celebrity judge joins the panel.

The concept is the same as the original series but with a Christmas themed twist.  There are still 4 teams with two members each to start.  After each round, one team is eliminated until in round three, the top two teams are left to compete.

The first round is cupcakes, the second, confections and the final round, full blown cakes.  Each episode has a different specific challenge, so it makes the 6 part series all that more interesting and exciting.  You may or may not agree with the judges's decisions but I guarantee that you will enjoy the series.

Edited by screengem
  • Love 1
On 8/14/2019 at 9:24 PM, starri said:

And he has all of the teeth.

I dunno, I kind of like him and also think he's pretty hot.

One of the guys in the earlier episodes of the second season was drooling over him, while his boyfriend was standing right there.

Yep, I caught that too.  I'm just guessing that they are no longer a couple.

BTW, @starri, check out the string I just started about Sugar Rush Christmas.  Hope you can contribute.

• Love 2

Thanks @starri for moving the special Christmas version of Sugar Rush here.

Just read on #deadline that both the new season of Sugar Rush and the Christmas version finished in the top ten most watched reality non scripted series on Netflix U.S.

I'm guessing that both the concept and the variety of contestants has something to do with its U.S. popularity on Netflix.

BTW, like sugar, it can be addictive.

Happy New Year 2020 @starri and to everyone who follows this thread.

I didn't realize they'd dropped new episodes at the end of July.

Naya Rivera was guest judge on the second episode, and this was released about three weeks after she died.  They had a nice dedication to her, but it was still sad to watch.

• Love 4
On 12/23/2019 at 9:41 AM, starri said:

This thread has been merged with the Sugar Rush Christmas thread.

I don't even remember a Christmas version,I wonder if I watched it? I hate when they put out other versions of a show & instead of adding it to the existing version (I'm looking at you David Letterman), Apparently there's another version now which they decided to call "Sugar High".

• Love 2

I've been watching the new Season 3 "Extra Sweet" edition.

It was incredibly weird and sad to see Naya Rivera as one of the guest judges shortly after her death. I've also been (guilty pleasure, shut up! don't judge!) watching The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, so it was nice to see Garcelle Beauvais turn up as a judge - she looked fab. Sometimes I'm a bit mystified as to who the guest judges are.

It's the inverse version of "Nailed It" where you get to see competent experienced people really push themselves. The format is repetitive, but the different themes the bakers have to follow each week are kind of fun. I enjoy the flavour combos that the teams come up with.  I loved the blackout episode where the final two had to devise cakes that had spooky glow-in-the-dark elements. I just watched the tropical themed episode, which was colourful and fun. It made me realize how much I love certain tropical flavours and it was making my mouth water. I love that one team used calmansi as a flavouring - a co-worker introduced me to those little citrus gems years ago, and if you like citrus, they are HEAVENLY.

Hunter is cute and all, but I'm more transfixed by the desserts. It's hard for me to watch an episode and not develop a fierce craving for something cup-cakey by the end. I find myself coveting Candace's outfits - she wears very pretty dresses.

Edited by Cheezwiz
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

They just dropped a one-off sugaring competition called Sugar High.  The general format, set, and Hunter were the same, but different judges and minimal baking.

My feeling is that it was probably a failed pilot for a spin-off.  It was quite dull.

• Love 1
On 9/26/2020 at 11:43 AM, starri said:

They just dropped a one-off sugaring competition called Sugar High.  The general format, set, and Hunter were the same, but different judges and minimal baking.

My feeling is that it was probably a failed pilot for a spin-off.  It was quite dull.

Probably but I liked it and wanted more.

So I'm confused with all the iterations of Sugar Rush.  I don't remember an episode with Naya Rivera but then again, I basically binged this during some sleepless nights a few weeks ago so maybe I did fall asleep and miss a few episodes. 

I'm almost done with the Christmas episodes.  I do not like the random gifts of "you get cake pans, you get a blender...etc."  I really liked that teams got to decide whether or not they were going to take cash for winning an early round or try to bank extra time for their cake round.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I'm partway through the Christmas episodes. I like the challenges, and have been impressed with what the bakers have come up with. Some of the creations sound pretty busy, but apparently taste delicious. I continue to covet the pretty dresses Candace wears. I would die for the green velvet number she had on in The Gift Exchange episode.

• Love 3

My sister and I binged the Christmas seasons and have just started watching the regular seasons. We just finished the season one episode with Betsy Johnson as guest judge.

I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention. I think it's really well done and the host and judges are very likable.

• Love 2

I really liked the "extra sweet" format where the challenge winners could bank time or earn money for each round. I feel like that makes it fairer and made me feel better when a team that doesn't win at all still walks way with some money from their earlier rounds.