Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E08: Pins and No Needles

• Start Topic

Everything about this episode made-up me giggly happy. Kelly's comments, Ash's humor, Jime totally killing it, and the women's sweep were all fantastic to watch. Granted I fast forwarded through all of the scenes in the dorms, but still, fun episode. 

• Love 11

I love when Dave gets to be the deciding judge: "I don't want a tattoo of a horse fucking me!"

Hopefully more women will win TOTD now that the judges' favoritism curse has been broken. Dani continues to be robbed, but I was pleased for Ash and Alexis that they finally got positive feedback during the critique.

Fon shows what happens when someone specializes primarily in one style; this isn't Black and Gray Realism Master.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I may be a cold asshole, but I couldn't do anything but smirk when Cam started crying. His ego got in the way and it's his own damn fault for not listening to Kelly when she told him what to do. And God Bless Laura for looking out for herself and thinking strategically - I like her.

Can I have a show of just Kelly snarking on contestants? I was dying; I love her.

Jime and Kelly were awesome coaches; they were more helpful coaches than when we had the season of Anthony/DJ/Steve being coaches all season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
(edited)
8 hours ago, 2727 said:

I love when Dave gets to be the deciding judge: "I don't want a tattoo of a horse fucking me!"

Hopefully more women will win TOTD now that the judges' favoritism curse has been broken. Dani continues to be robbed, but I was pleased for Ash and Alexis that they finally got positive feedback during the critique.

Fon shows what happens when someone specializes primarily in one style; this isn't Black and Gray Realism Master.

Dave got right to the essence of things with that comment. 

Here' what really bothers me, if you'll allow me some backstory. I've been a sporadic watcher of Ink Master, not seen all seasons but a few. The one that stands out in memory was the one with Tattoo Baby. Can I say pussywhipped in here? And it's frustration with the judges and their shifting priorities and inconsistent evaluations that have often left a sour taste in my mouth and sent me running to check out Skin Wars. Ok Rebecca Romijn is prettier than Dave, Chris or Oliver, too.

These guys (Dave, Chris and Oli) present the main challenge, the central parameters of each contest. They have also, over the years, emphasized "giving your canvas what they want." But when it comes time to judge the tats, pleasing the client goes out the window. It is sheerly technical application that drives their assessments. Or personal taste.

These canvases aren't chosen like lotto numbers---the producers know full well what they are asking for in a tat. I REALLY felt for Pon. I give him some degree of credit for trying to deliver AND downplay the perversion of what the guy asked for, his drawing notwithstanding. His canvas's request was a metaphor for his own scenario. I myself fail to imagine a cowboy-riding horse that doesn't result in a perversely suggestive image. Because a man has to go on all fours to be ridden by a horse..or the horse has to stand on two feet like a human.

So , for Dave to opine as he did---well, ya, this canvas is a sick mf who should move to Washington state and work for Boeing--but if your canvas wants a tat of a horse fucking a cowboy? Is the judging criteria now, Which of these tats do I like most and would most want myself?

Fair enough, the judging is often hasty and glossed over---which is why I missed the comment about the boot overlapping an existing tat. Thought Oli was talking cowboy's boot near to horse's hoof. 

Also before I wrap up this rant...most of the tats required multiple images. Jake's canvas asked for a pizza eating sushi, if I heard right. Most of the others, if not all, delivered multi aspect images. Jake's was only the melting skull pizza slice.

Edited by Ham On Wry
  • Love 5
(edited)

Oh how I've missed you Kelly Doty. She rocks.

Agreed there was great actual coaching not "coaches" this time around.

Good to see the women's team blow the guys out of the water and make poor Cam cry. What kind of major cop out was that blob that was supposed to be his "wizard"??

Loved Dave's comment so much I rewound it a few times. And with respect to that tat, how do you put a horseshoe on backwards (twice even as the smaller shoe was the same!) and get the shape wrong as well?

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ham On Wry said:

I give him some degree of credit for trying to deliver AND downplay the perversion of what the guy asked for, his drawing notwithstanding. His canvas's request was a metaphor for his own scenario. I myself fail to imagine a cowboy-riding horse that doesn't result in a perversely suggestive image. Because a man has to go on all fours to be ridden by a horse..or the horse has to stand on two feet like a human.

So , for Dave to opine as he did---well, ya, this canvas is a sick mf who should move to Washington state and work for Boeing--but if your canvas wants a tat of a horse fucking a cowboy? Is the judging criteria now, Which of these tats do I like most and would most want myself?

I dunno, I think Pon could have done something like the classic rearing-up pose, the human on two legs, rearing up, with his arms bent in front with the hands bent down, and the horse on his back, waving a cowboy hat in the air, like this but with the roles reversed... but... Pon can't draw. Pon could only copy a reference of what he found online. For that reason he deserved to go home... because he couldn't create an image the canvas wanted other than the horsefucking one. If he had drawing talent he could have satisfied the canvas and avoided the suggestive angle. But he could only do it head-on because he doesn't have the drawing talent needed.

42 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

And with respect to that tat, how do you put a horseshoe on backwards (twice even as the smaller shoe was the same!) and get the shape wrong as well?

I noticed that! I'm surprised none of the judges brought it up. It's not quite as egregious as misspelling the Bible book from seasons ago, but, still, something they will usually nail an artist for HARD.

• Love 4

The judges were great because, rather than focusing solely on whether their team would win and trash talking the contestants, they calmly and clearly provided solid advice with a goal of producing good tattoos.  It is always nice when they remember this is art work that will be on a person's body forever (unless they get a coverup). Kelly and Jime were great.  They should stay on every season helping as coaches. 

Cam's tattoo was bad in so many ways.  The drawing was weak.  The application was poor.  I tend to think of new school as having bold colors.  His looked 20 years old. The character faded out before hitting the bottom of the open section of spaceship.  It was a mess.  

Unfortunately I have seen a horse riding a cowboy tattoo before.  That's one where you need to be really careful with the drawing so it's not, as Dave so eloquently shared, a horse fucking a cowboy.  That thing was a mess. To be a tattoo artist that works in multiple genres, you need to be able to draw.  Sorry, Fon.  This one ended with a tattoo of a cowboy who knows his horse intimately.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I was thinking, it would be good if you work in a saddle on the human so it's clear the horse isn't rearing up behind him! But yes, Fon was clearly sent home because he can't do anything original/can't draw. Everyone clearly knew it and the woman's team guided him directly over that pitfall.

This reminded me of The Tracer Argument in 'Chasing Amy' (Warning, the end of the clip is NSFW language) And Fon is clearly a kind of tattoo tracer. He can replicate an image to skin but he's just "tracing" his stencil really. It's a lower tier of artistry to me.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Charlesman said:

I dunno, I think Pon could have done something like the classic rearing-up pose, the human on two legs, rearing up, with his arms bent in front with the hands bent down, and the horse on his back, waving a cowboy hat in the air, like this but with the roles reversed... but... Pon can't draw. Pon could only copy a reference of what he found online. For that reason he deserved to go home... because he couldn't create an image the canvas wanted other than the horsefucking one. If he had drawing talent he could have satisfied the canvas and avoided the suggestive angle. But he could only do it head-on because he doesn't have the drawing talent needed.

I noticed that! I'm surprised none of the judges brought it up. It's not quite as egregious as misspelling the Bible book from seasons ago, but, still, something they will usually nail an artist for HARD.

Yes, I agree, the human rearing up was the way to go. Is that Dale Evans? And no argument, it is clear Pon can't draw. I just felt like his task was largely doomed from the get go.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

But yes, Fon was clearly sent home because he can't do anything original/can't draw. 

He even said it himself, "There are no image references on the internet for this" (or something like that). I mean... maybe don't say that out loud in a competition where you're supposed to create and tattoo your own designs?

Anyway, I love Fon and I think that on a personal level he was one of the best contestants of the season, he was always nice and never stirred up drama, and I do feel for him because he had a pretty shitty request from his canvas, but his tattoo was honestly just plain ugly. Also, I would've appreciated it more if he had at least come up with an original design of a cowboy and a horse, and instead we got Woody and Bullseye from Toy Story (which no one could mention for copyright reasons, I guess?), so I'm sorry to see him go but he kind of deserved it.

Next on the list of people who kinda deserve to go home for me is Ash. Again, I'm sorry because she's very likable (apart from when she cries every 30 seconds) but she's clearly not as good as the other contestants. Her tattoo this week was alright, but the color was not blended very well and the design itself was super simple compared to everyone else's, and I feel that is an aspect that should also be taken into account by the judges.

Edited by stormy weather
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Look, it's easy to see why we might get confused---but let me be clear and correct me if I am wrong:  Pon is the kinda soft spoken black guy who can't draw and had the horse riding cowboy canvas. (If you look at his 2 sample tats on the IM website, they both read simple, i.e. not elaborate or highly detailed).

Fon is the bearded white guy who is primarily a black and gray artist (?) Was his tat last night the Wizard? I joined this season about 4 episodes in so I don't have a firm grasp of everyone's talents.  

But I am SURE there was a P on the wall when Pon got sent home.

2 hours ago, stormy weather said:

... instead we got Woody and Bullseye from Toy Story (which no one could mention for copyright reasons, I guess?), so I'm sorry to see him go but he kind of deserved it.

Next on the list of people who kinda deserve to go home for me is Ash. Again, I'm sorry because she's very likable (apart from when she cries every 30 seconds) but she's clearly not as good as the other contestants. Her tattoo this week was alright, but the color was not blended very well and the design itself was super simple compared to everyone else's, and I feel that is an aspect that should also be taken into account by the judges.

Well observed re: Toy Story, and I completely agree about Ash. She's a tad bit naive when saying, everybody's so mean!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Ham On Wry said:

Look, it's easy to see why we might get confused---but let me be clear and correct me if I am wrong:  Pon is the kinda soft spoken black guy who can't draw and had the horse riding cowboy canvas. (If you look at his 2 sample tats on the IM website, they both read simple, i.e. not elaborate or highly detailed).

Fon is the bearded white guy who is primarily a black and gray artist (?) Was his tat last night the Wizard? I joined this season about 4 episodes in so I don't have a firm grasp of everyone's talents.  

No, you’ve got them flipped around — Fon is the one that went home last night, Pon is the one who did the wizard. Easy mistake to make because their names are similar.

In other news, we now have clarification on what Kelly’s emergency was because people are assholes

ETA - Looks like she deleted the instagram post; her grandfather passed away but she had to post that clarification because people were speculating on her instagram that she left because she was "disgusted" in the mens team and didn't want to be there for the judging.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:
7 hours ago, Ham On Wry said:

Read more  

No, you’ve got them flipped around — Fon is the one that went home last night, Pon is the one who did the wizard. Easy mistake to make because their names are similar.

Was it a wizard?  I thought it was supposed to be Krampus because of the lights strung around the horns.

I really wish they would cut a few minutes out of the cloak and dagger stuff in the Loft of Chicanery and let us hear what all of the canvases want.  I really wasn't sure of Laura's, I think Janelle's might have been some Audrey type creature and I would have liked to hear the original idea for Alexis' sasquatch, especially since it won TotD.

I really thought Jake was going, after he should have gone  week before last and with the foreshadowing of his general assholery during the Lite Brite flash challenge.  And how did they work out leaving out the fighting sushi?  This is the kind of stuff we want to see, PTB!

Edited by Sile
Jake should have gone on the cross stitch challenge, not last week
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Sile said:

I really wish they would cut a few minutes out of the cloak and dagger stuff in the Loft of Chicanery and let us hear what all of the canvases want.  I really wasn't sure of Laura's, I think Janelle's might have been some Audrey type creature and I would have liked to hear the original idea for Alexis' sasquatch, especially since it won TotD.

I would love to hear why the canvases actually want the tattoo, why did that guy want a rat in a space ship beaming up a wizard?  Why was that guy so set on getting a horse riding a cowboy?  I would just love a bit of backstory on some of the weird ideas.

• Love 10
On 8/1/2019 at 1:08 AM, dstann said:

I would just love a bit of backstory on some of the weird ideas.

It would sure help pass the time more pleasantly.

I'd love to see sketches from experienced new school artists showing what they would have done with some of the requests: a pizza cutter vs chopsticks as weapons, maybe, for sushi fighting pizza? New school style encourages artists to let their imaginations run wild and some of the men in particular seemed intimidated by that.

Pon said online that the show had to go through 2-3 open canvases before they found people who were okay with getting the dog faces last week. Understandable when it's not your pet and you may have no affinity or even liking for that breed.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Sile said:

Was it a wizard?  I thought it was supposed to be Krampus because of the lights strung around the horns.

I really thought Jake was going, after he should have gone  week before last and with the foreshadowing of his general assholery during the Lite Brite flash challenge.  And how did they work out leaving out the fighting sushi?  This is the kind of stuff we want to see, PTB!

Ha!  The Loft of Chicanery!  Love it. 

I agree with your point, though.  I really don't care about the DRAHMUH.  We know some people don't like each other, we know it's a competition and there's going to be backstabbing and gossip.  Don't care.  

I'd much rather hear what ALL the canvases want, versus just the jacked up, weird, janky ones.  

Pon would likely have been better off to attempt to talk his canvas out of the horse riding cowboy thing and see if he could just a new school horse or a cowboy, but not both.  I liked Pon, he seemed like a decent guy who didn't start crap but any of the three on the bottom could reasonably have gone home.

Dani should have gotten TOTD, as far as I'm concerned.

What's the point of having a theme if IM isn't going to follow it?  I mean, is the judging based on color theory?  Is it based on general aesthetics?  Is it based on what you would want on your body?  Do the judges consider the inktestants' previous work?  We need guidelines.  

Honestly, if the theme of the week is color theory, I think the judging should be solely on that.  Because the judges may think the tattoo is horrible but it may be exactly what the canvas asked for.    I've seen some tattoos on this show that I would absolutely never EVER allow to be put on my body but I have to admit that they are done well, etc.  

• Love 7

I love it when the judges call out the issues I have with the tattoos. I mean, okay the horse fucking the man was clear, but I knew that was going to happen as soon as Kelly suggested changing it from a side view to a front view. You have to be very careful about how you portray it from that angle to avoid it looking like that. The real problem though is that Fon prefers realism and got caught up in how that would even work - the horse is much larger, weighs so much more, etc. None of that matters! You play with the proportions until it works. But you have to be able to draw a little.

But also, even if you're getting the big things wrong it doesn't help to also get the little things wrong, and the very first time we saw his tattoo I had my husband rewind because I said "hang on, weren't the horseshoes on upside down?" That just makes it much harder to understand what is going on. So much of cartooning/simplification is to use the small visual cues to create the context that's otherwise not there.

• Love 5

Isn’t one of the “rules” of tattooing that horse shoes should never be “upside down” (aka actually right side up when the hoof is placed on its back) because the luck would fall out? I can see his mistake making sense if that’s the only familiarity he has with horse shoes, but why wouldn’t he ask? Or look it up?

Although who knows, if he’d had it on the right way, maybe the judges would have dinged him for that, too. 

• Love 1
On 8/2/2019 at 12:40 PM, belligerent said:

I can see his mistake making sense if that’s the only familiarity he has with horse shoes, but why wouldn’t he ask? Or look it up?

Ah the King of Reference Art gets taken down, in part, by NOT looking at a horseshoe reference? That's pretty funny. As for how bad the mistake is it's up there with adding extra fingers and/or putting thumbs on backwards. Rookie mistake.

• Love 2
On 8/4/2019 at 9:23 PM, Wandering Snark said:

Ah the King of Reference Art gets taken down, in part, by NOT looking at a horseshoe reference? That's pretty funny. As for how bad the mistake is it's up there with adding extra fingers and/or putting thumbs on backwards. Rookie mistake.

Yeah, I agree. I would rather cut my own arm off than have a tattoo with an incorrect horseshoe. That’s about as bad as when people draw cloven hooves on horses. I’m an artist, myself, so it’s bizarre to me when some of them don’t draw at all. He didn’t even make pleasing shapes from the reference he copied. 

I wish he’d been able to talk the canvas into something else. 

• Love 1