Type keyword(s) to search

Zoey's Extraordinary News

• Start Topic

(edited)

Jane Levy interview at Deadline:

DEADLINE: Given the nature of the show, it’s surprising to hear that you didn’t grow up a musical theater nerd.

LEVY: Well, I will say that I did musicals as a kid, but I don’t know anything about musical theater. I’m working with a cast of real heavy hitters and I am the numb nuts at the center of it all who’s like, “What? Who? Why?”

When I was a kid, I did a lot of dance. I danced ballet and I was on the hip-hop dance team in high school. I also come from a very musically inclined family. My mom sang jazz in college and my dad went to conservatory for guitar, so it’s in my DNA. I guess maybe I could now say I’m a musical theater person…or maybe just a musical TV person, though I do find the singing to be so hard. [Laughs]

DEADLINE: Which begs the question, why did you take a role where you have to sing?

LEVY: Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy singing. But after doing the show, I realized, “Wow, that is something that’s very hard.” I think the reason it’s so hard is because you have to be relaxed, to be good at it. And I am the opposite of relaxed.

ZEP will be a part of Paley Front Row:

https://www.paleycenter.org/paleyathome#frontrow

On Paley YouTube starting Friday, July 10 at 12pm ET / 9am PT

NBC's Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist: A Conversation with the Stars & Creators

Featuring Austin Winsberg, executive producer/creator; Mandy Moore, producer/choreographer; Jane Levy; Skylar Astin; Alex Newell; John Clarence Stewart; Mary Steenburgen; Peter Gallagher; Lauren Graham; Moderator: Anthony Breznican, Vanity Fair

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19. This panel hasn't been assigned a time slot yet so be sure to check the Comic Con website for the schedule.

TV Guide's Fan Favorites
Featuring Hale Appleman (The Magicians), Chris Chalk (Perry Mason), Robbie Amell (Upload), Kennedy McMann (Nancy Drew), Jeri Ryan (Star Trek: Picard), Richard Harmon (The 100), Lindsey Morgan (The 100), Harvey Guillen (What We Do in the Shadows), and Alex Newell (Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist). 

• Useful 1
On 6/29/2020 at 3:57 PM, Trini said:

ZEP will be a part of Paley Front Row:

https://www.paleycenter.org/paleyathome#frontrow

On Paley YouTube starting Friday, July 10 at 12pm ET / 9am PT

NBC's Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist: A Conversation with the Stars & Creators

Featuring Austin Winsberg, executive producer/creator; Mandy Moore, producer/choreographer; Jane Levy; Skylar Astin; Alex Newell; John Clarence Stewart; Mary Steenburgen; Peter Gallagher; Lauren Graham; Moderator: Anthony Breznican, Vanity Fair

just watched this. the conversation closes with each panelist giving their take on the season’s finale, ‘american pie.’ bring tissues.

• Love 2

NBC's Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist: A Conversation with Stars and Creators at Paley Front Row 2020 - video:

Stars of NBC's Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist (Jane Levy, Skylar Astin, Alex Newell, John Clarence Stewart, Mary Steenburgen, Lauren Graham, and Peter Gallagher), along with creator Austin Winsberg and choreographer Mandy Moore, gather at Paley Front Row 2020 to celebrate their show. Topics include: the show's "mission statement" of empathy; Levy's "genuinely moved" reactions to watching her castmates perform; Graham's depiction of Joan as more than a "tough boss lady"; Astin and Stewart's praise for their vulnerable, flawed characters; Newell's thoughts on Mo's outward confidence and inner fears; crafting authentic stories with elements from the actors' real lives; inspiration from Winsberg's father, who had PSP, and from Gallagher's mother's Alzheimer's disease; working with the Deaf West Theatre; the audacious "American Pie" number in the season finale; and finding Mitch's physical limitations as well as his pre-disease persona.

6 hours ago, Trini said:

Now it's Emmy Award winning Zoey's Extraordinary playlist!

Congrats Mandy Moore!

Woohoo! Was this for the season, or for a particular episode?

Saw there was a post in here, and I was scared for a second that the show got cancelled like Stumptown

Edited by bros402
20 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It was for All I Do Is Win, I’ve Got the Music in Me, and Crazy.

Okay, I can get those, but imo one of the ones it should've been for was Fight Song - because that was just a great one.

Fight Song was definitely top 5 moments of the season

Edited by bros402
  • Love 4

Casting news: Jee Young Han & Felix Mallard To Recur On Season 2.

Character descriptions:

Spoiler

Han will play Jenna Kang, Emily’s (Alice Lee) wild child older sister. An aspiring artist and photographer, Jenna comes to town to “help” Emily and David (Andrew Leeds) with their new baby and only adds to the chaos. Eventually, an unlikely friendship forms between her and Maggie (Mary Steenburgen).

Mallard will portray Aiden, Zoey’s (Levy) next door neighbor growing up. A recent college grad, he’s just returned from backpacking around Asia and has moved back in with his parents. He’s working at an ice cream shop while trying to launch his garage band. He’s a free spirit who lives one day at a time, and he helps Zoey be more adventurous.

On 10/29/2020 at 10:31 PM, bros402 said:

Trini you make my heart pound for a second there again - I was thinking it was gonna be a post saying it was canned due to COVID.

Glad to hear it is casting news!

I have the same reaction. The good news is that season 2 is currently filming. 

We have a premiere date!

The network also announced that the second season of “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist” is set to debut on Jan. 5 at 8 p.m. Season 2 of “Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist” will continue to follow the titular character (played by Jane Levy) and her family as they grieve the loss of their patriarch, while Zoey still hears the inner emotions of those around her expressed in song.

• Love 6

I'm guessing that they will follow the protocols used by other dance and theater companies that are currently in rehearsal (masks for rehearsals, no masks for filming/performance) and if they have dance numbers with non-regulars, they will have the formations spaced out so they are six feet apart.

There are already several tv shows that are currently filming so they are doing regular COVID testing and they have new protocols on set to try to minimize contact/close quarters whenever possible. Singing does increase the risk of spreading the virus, but since they are being tested hopefully there is nothing to spread.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

If they have an episode that needs to acknowledge the pandemic, a masked dancers number would be the equivalent of "a picture paints a 1000 words."

Maybe something similar to the ASL number from last season?

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Stupid question: 
Was this filmed in the Before Times?

Not a stupid question! I have no idea though; I haven't followed any production or BTS news for this show. But I assume most of this upcoming season was not. 

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Stupid question: 

No. They’ve been filming since September. 

21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Stupid question: 

I've read a few articles on how shows/films are being made now.  Most say that masks are worn by everyone during all practices/rehearsals, and only removed for final filming.  Also, covid tests are done on cast & crew (frequency depends on level of contact).  So I can see even big dance numbers like show in the clip being rehearsed more spaced out, masked, etc., and then filmed "normal". 

I'm hoping they don't even address Covid and just keep it out of ZEP world. 

I think I'll rewatch at least part of the season before season 2 starts.  Looking forward to this!

• Love 3

Interview with Kapil Talwalkar; 'Kapil Talwalkar talks meeting the real Tobin...'

HR: Would you say opening Tobin up has been your favorite part of Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist Season 2 so far, or are there some other things for viewers to look forward to?

KT: Absolutely. You really get to know Tobin as a human being, and those are the episodes that I’m looking forward to everyone getting to see. What is this guy’s purpose? What is lurking underneath the jokey facade, or even if it’s not a facade—even if it’s a part of who he is—why is he like that?

That has been super fun to explore because it has been incredibly collaborative and awesome in terms of getting my personal perspective on Tobin’s journey and where that comes from in terms of background. I felt very included in that conversation, and I’m very, very grateful that Tobin has received the care and attention that he has in Season 2.

HR: Dance brought me to Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist. What has that process been like this year with everything being…as it is?

KT: It’s been crazy.

Many people have mentioned that dance was one of the most fun aspects of Season 1. It has still been one of the most fun aspects of Season 2. And in the whole clinical mess of things, as we get to all the testing and the masks and everything, dance has consistently been the place where we feel safe and at home.

We have masks on at all times when we’re rehearsing. The only times we don’t have masks are when we’re shooting. It was weird for the first week; but then, we all got used to it. It became easier and easier to just dance.

Once we got the core group of people down with the rules and everything, everyone just knew their part and what they had to do to protect themselves and each other.

• Love 2

Quotes from the showrunner, Austin Winsberg, regarding Zoey in Season 2:

“I wanted to explore the stages of that for Zoey, the different ways in which she’s trying to recover, the ways in which she might rebel, the ways in which she might relapse,” Winsberg continues. “It’s such a monumental loss for her, and I didn’t want to just move past it as if it was a one-season [story]… When you lose somebody meaningful and important to you, what does that look like for you going forward? How does that affect you? I felt like that was key to the whole season for me.”

• Love 1

As much as I enjoy watching this show, I'm fine with it. During a normal season, there are always breaks when the show is in reruns or they air other stuff. In the spring, that usually occurs in March. On top of that, this show requires so much more time to film because of all the musical numbers so it makes sense that they can't just crank out episodes. I'm sure filming during a pandemic also complicates matters. At least we get six episodes before the break!

In contrast, A Million Little things had their S3 premiere in November, had one week off, aired three more episodes, and is currently on hiatus until March. With that kind of schedule, I kind of felt like they should have just waited instead of having a three month break. Similarly, This Is Us had their season premiere in October, took one week off, aired two more episodes, then took another six weeks off. Why not just wait? I guess they both wanted to make a minimal attempt at getting some numbers for November sweeps?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Trini said:

I'm mainly concerned that they don't say how long the break will be.  😞

Well, they are airing two new shows in Zoey's spot, so I'm assuming it'll come back once those two shows are done. So, if both sitcoms are only 10 episodes, then Zoey should come back around April. If they're 13 episodes, then Zoey will be back in May.

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, they are airing two new shows in Zoey's spot, so I'm assuming it'll come back once those two shows are done. So, if both sitcoms are only 10 episodes, then Zoey should come back around April. If they're 13 episodes, then Zoey will be back in May.

According to Deadline, Zoey will be moving to a new spot when it comes back because The Voice will be on Tuesdays at 8 again. 

Skylar Astin was a guest on Smith and Bernardin's Fatman Beyond podcast yesterday; he talked about filming and quarantining for the show, and mentioned that ZEP will be off for "like six weeks" (but I don't think he knows the exact dates). He also talks a bit about his career and theater.

His joins after an intro at about 19:00 and stays for the whole thing, but everything related to Skylar and ZEP is from 19:00 to 36:45.

Edited by Trini

Two cast members have Critics choice award nominations!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES

William Fichtner – Mom (CBS)
Harvey Guillén – What We Do in the Shadows (FX)
Daniel Levy – Schitt’s Creek (Pop)
Alex Newell – Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (NBC)
Mark Proksch – What We Do in the Shadows (FX)
Andrew Rannells – Black Monday (Showtime) 

https://deadline.com/2021/01/critics-choice-awards-nominations-ozark-the-crown-tv-series-1234675506/

The Critics Choice Association (CCA) announced today the series nominees for the 26th annual Critics Choice Awards.  The winners will be revealed LIVE on The CW on Sunday, March 7, 2021 from 7-10pm ET/PT,

• Useful 1

Interview with Felix Mallard (Aiden) at EW:

What are we going to see from Aiden and Zoey in this week's episode now that they've reconnected?

The biggest thing about Aiden and Zoey's connection is he really inspires her to live a little bit more rebelliously. So if you can imagine the sorts of things that that could mean, I reckon you'd be on the right track. [Laughs] He really just wants her to have fun, wants her to have a good time, and wants to reconnect with her at the same time during that.

It looked like some sparks were flying between Aiden and Zoey, even just in that one scene that we've seen so far when she breaks up his band practice. Is that something we should keep our eyes on?

Yeah, look, I think you're going to have to watch to find out with that one. They definitely do have a connection from that start, but where it goes has yet to be seen. Because Aiden really is aiding her — aiding her story — he is helping her come out of herself, it has been great. We've just been able to chat about the levity that he can bring and what Zoey then means to him in turn.