Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: There Are No F**king Sides

• Start Topic

With the gang’s arms dealer in custody, Jackie thinks he’s a step closer to glory. But Decourcy is the one in a position to negotiate and he’s considering cutting off the gun supply rather than going after the buyers. Jimmy and Frankie must find a new dealer as they prepare for their next job. Cathy and Jenny struggle to comfort their daughters who’ve undergone trauma. When Michaela falls into some trouble, Rachel decides to take her investigation into her own hands.

Original airdate: 7/28/2019

(edited)

Why hasn't JR (FBI extraordinaire) gone after the jerks that molested and nearly killed his daughter? What a putz he is.

All he does is harass people (Decourcy, Ryan, his wife, etc). He is such an asshole and now he's covering up a murder, that he himself set up, to blackmail "No brains Ryan."

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1

I am sick of every one of these people. Lock 'em all up.

And who is writing this crap? What teenage girl who's been assaulted and beaten doesn't want her mother?

And why does everyone talk like a longshoreman? Jenny's social climbing sister wouldn't be dropping F bombs every five minutes.

That's all I got. This story is losing me with a quickness. Aldis Hodge and Mark O'Brien are holding me, for now.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, preeya said:

Why hasn't JR (FBI extraordinaire) gone after the jerks that molested and nearly killed his daughter? What a putz he is.

All he does is harass people (Decourcy, Ryan, his wife, etc). He is such an asshole and now he's covering up a murder, that he himself set up, to blackmail "No brains Ryan."

Very similar to Connolly who was a crooked Boston FBI agent in the 90s and allowed murder on whitey Bulger’s behalf. 

6 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I am sick of every one of these people. Lock 'em all up.

And who is writing this crap? What teenage girl who's been assaulted and beaten doesn't want her mother?

And why does everyone talk like a longshoreman? Jenny's social climbing sister wouldn't be dropping F bombs every five minutes.

That's all I got. This story is losing me with a quickness. Aldis Hodge and Mark O'Brien are holding me, for now.

Swearing is common in Boston especially that certain group. Jenny’s sister would let the F bombs fly with her sister and hold them in at home. 

The writers got Charlestown down perfectly.  The accuracy is excellent down to using the Ebb Tide in Revere, a mob hangout, The Parker House for govt people,  the tensions between Boston cops and the black community after Charles Stuart. I love this show. 

• Love 1

Jackie is laughing his ass off about the reporter being assaulted and put into a coma.

But he's really understanding with his daughter, not pressuring her to tell him who got her high.

I don't know if it's the Southie upbringing or the girl is suppose to be traumatized but Frankie's daughter was ready to cut a bitch.

What's the deal with Jenny getting sick when they were talking about Freud in class?  What was it, they were talking about penis envy and Oedipal complex and that made her run to the bathroom?

I don't know if Frankie and Jimmy were playing heroes in that liquor store or they just didn't want it robbed before they could rob the armored truck which would collect money from it.

Meanwhile Frankie has been trying to maintain this facade as a grocery store employee, a nurturing father.

But he walks out with a kitchen knife and comes back with blood all over him?  Then hugs his daughter, getting the blood of the man he just murdered on her?  Did they not have DNA in the '90s? How can they evade capture?  Did the Ryans pay for Hook's lawyer?

Speaking of time period, was this suppose to be the early '90s?  Web sites wouldn't have been common then.  There were BBSes and those could have been used to trade illegal arms though.

2 hours ago, Lemons said:

Swearing is common in Boston especially that certain group.

I know. I'm from Boston. I've lived here for over 60 years.  My lace curtain Irish mother, born and raised in Dorchester, never said so much as "damn". This show posits that everyone, everywhere, talks like a truck driver who used to be a sailor. Even white collar professionals. Elderly mothers-in-law. Social climbing middle class housewives. I have a different perspective. And I'm from the North Shore, right next to Revere. I worked as a bartender right next to City Hall. I worked at the Parker House too. 

And there were tensions between Boston cops and the black community long before Chuck Stuart. Dumb old Chuck just brought things to a head. 

The show gets some details right on the nose, I'll give them that. I especially appreciated the exterior of the hospital where Benedetta was--its the old Franklin Square House, in the South End, which was used for the exteriors on "St. Elsewhere". Classy touch. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I know. I'm from Boston. I've lived here for over 60 years.  My lace curtain Irish mother, born and raised in Dorchester, never said so much as "damn". This show posits that everyone, everywhere, talks like a truck driver who used to be a sailor. Even white collar professionals. Elderly mothers-in-law. Social climbing middle class housewives. I have a different perspective. And I'm from the North Shore, right next to Revere. I worked as a bartender right next to City Hall. I worked at the Parker House too. 

And there were tensions between Boston cops and the black community long before Chuck Stuart. Dumb old Chuck just brought things to a head. 

The show gets some details right on the nose, I'll give them that. I especially appreciated the exterior of the hospital where Benedetta was--its the old Franklin Square House, in the South End, which was used for the exteriors on "St. Elsewhere". Classy touch. 

I agree a couple of them were over the top, like the Rorhr’s mother in law.  They sure made her nasty. There aren’t too many people on the show who would be considered “upstanding” citizens. But the grandmothers and mothers who raised the bank robbers and criminals from Charlestown and southie, spot on.  The two brothers are killing it with their performances of Townies. The little blond girl is too.  She sounds like she’s from Quincy or Charlestown .  

Do you remember the original Ebb Tide in Revere?  Is that where the Winter Hill gang hung out?  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, preeya said:

That was his singular lead to the three bodies though. He knows how big the case is given that he's still trading on his last big one 10 years ago.

I get he was mad about Ward going for the lesser charge because Jackie was the one who came up with the idea in the first place.

6 hours ago, scrb said:

What was it, they were talking about penis envy and Oedipal complex and that made her run to the bathroom?

Is that tv talk for a surprise pregnancy?

I actually was behind Ward's wife. (Though I can't be bothered to spell her name). She did get the reverend ousted. I don't know what else the other woman was expected. Yeah, jail would be great, but in a lot of these cases the statute of limitations is out by now.

6 hours ago, scrb said:

Frankie's daughter was ready to cut a bitch.

She do not *play*. I also felt bad for her too. She was trying to be nice to the kid, and he calls her a bitch in front of everyone. Yeah, you lucky she only cut the ball. Again though we have more references to this mysterious Kinicki case. I figure it has to catch up to them soon. I thought it was going to come out in the grand jury, but I'm not sure Ward is going to go back to that any time soon. I figure he's going to have to at some point now that there's three bodies that surfaced.

Jackie was taking a chance there that his CI was going to be alone and the brother didn't come with him.

I cannot imagine Jackie would be so stupid that he'd have the reporter beaten up and thrown down the stairs. I think her boss was right - she made a lot of enemies.

It will be interesting if Ward and Jackie close the case on Revere whether a damaging report to Jackie is going to stick.

6 hours ago, Lemons said:

Do you remember the original Ebb Tide in Revere?  Is that where the Winter Hill gang hung out?  

I pass the site of the Ebb Tide every day on my way to work! When I was a kid Revere Beach was seedy as hell. Its nice and wholesome now! 

I think the Winter Hill gang's territory was Somerville and Southie. Revere was mob. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I cannot imagine Jackie would be so stupid that he'd have the reporter beaten up and thrown down the stairs.

Oh I do. HIs arrogance is overwhelming. 

Mark O'Brien is killing it as Jimmy. He's every punk wanna be badass who ever lived. 

• Love 3

Random thoughts:  I saw Robert Wahlberg’s name in the credits, not sure who he played. Can’t figure it out on google. 

I’m waiting for Abby Donovan to come walk in and tell blonde wife how to handle the lifestyle

I didn’t know that the Criminal Intent chick was Jenny’s sister, I thought they were just friends

Do not like Ward’s wife. No reason, just don’t like her. 

Too much going on in this show, I’m watching w CC and still don’t know what the hell is going on. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That was his singular lead to the three bodies though. He knows how big the case is given that he's still trading on his last big one 10 years ago.  I get he was mad about Ward going for the lesser charge because Jackie was the one who came up with the idea in the first place.

He's a Fed, the case is Ward's and the Boston PD. I cannot fathom why he's even involved in the case. Did I miss something or am I as confused as some others are?

• Love 1

Jenny might have been  molested as a child or teen and that discussion triggered her memory.

Guess the hot Priest was dropped from the show mid production.

Who shoved the Reporter down the stairs?

Jackie would be too obvious.

• Love 1

So what the hell is the deal with this Kinicki thing?! I assume that the brothers killed him or he died on a job gone bad and Frankie's daughter saw something, but I would like to get some dang details!

Jimmy and Frankie's mom sure is something, she comes across as super real to me as a woman who would raise a couple of career criminals and be totally alright with that fact. Her trying to get her sons baby momma to get back with him was a great mix of working class folksy and manipulation. 

Is Jackie ever planning on getting around to getting revenge on his informant who drugged and assaulted his daughter? Or is he having too much fun giggling at comatose reporters and threatening his CIs? 

I like this show, I think it really nails this really specific time and place, but I really need both a graph to keep up with all the damn characters and how they're all connected to each other, and I need someone to turn on a freaking light!

• Love 5

OK Maybe I'm crazy, but was that a Jessica Lange cameo as the female officer who was sitting with Kick after she had knifed the basketball? I immediately tried to recognize the actress when she first appeared. I know I'd seen that face somewhere and then I realized who that was (or who I think that was). The actress wasn't credited on IMDB so I don't know for sure if it's Jessica Lange or a look-alike.

1 hour ago, AKAGonzaloFTW said:

OK Maybe I'm crazy, but was that a Jessica Lange cameo as the female officer who was sitting with Kick after she had knifed the basketball? I immediately tried to recognize the actress when she first appeared. I know I'd seen that face somewhere and then I realized who that was (or who I think that was). The actress wasn't credited on IMDB so I don't know for sure if it's Jessica Lange or a look-alike.

Definitely not Jessica Lange

vlcsnap-00030.thumb.jpg.a231d5a6c572c341be6f0680afb39ab5.jpg