Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Zods and Monsters

Me, last week...

For that matter, if I’m right that Nyssa will be Jor-El’s (and possibly Zor-El’s) mother...

Yes! Called it.

Also, THAT ending is obviously why the timeline is so screwed up.

In terms of drama, I definitely think it was a smart move as it now puts Seg and Nyssa into “anyone can die” territory if they need it (because no one’s murdering a baby anyway).

One thing I did note in this though is that Zod just did his big announcement of their interstellar ships being ready just before Seg and Nyssa really need a ship to go after Brainiac. With three episodes left in the season I expect two of those to be dealing with Zod and then Seg and Nyssa (and Adam, who’s still got a future to save) taking a ship to go after Brainiac as the setup for season three.

Because with no sign of Lyta returning (not even a clone mention) and no Jayna in this episode, it really feels like the Zod part of the storyline is reaching its end. 

Frankly, because they just confirmed Nyssa as Jor-El’s mother and Jor has a younger full brother (Zor) in many versions of the Superman story, even IF Lyta were resurrected, Seg’s relationship with her is now solidly in the past.

There’s nothing really dramatic left to mine there. Maybe you could build an episode down the line with a clone with pre-brainwash Lyta’s memories grafted to it; but in that case it would be more about messing with Seg’s feelings about the real Lyta (since he’d know she’s just a copy), Nyssa’s feelings about having been cloned from the original Nyssa as a child (the distinction being Seg’s only known thd clone... she’s defined herself as her own person independent of who the original Nyssa-Vex might have been) and set up the Lyta clone to secretly steal Seg’s DNA to make a baby (thus creating the circumstances General Zod described of his childhood of his mother being a woman who was broken by the loss of his father and refused to discuss him or even tell young Dru-Zod his father’s name).

In short, given the Jor-El reveal in this episode, their choice to kill off Lyta actually makes a lot of sense and I no longer believe she’ll ever again show up in anything but a guest star capacity.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

In short, given the Jor-El reveal in this episode, their choice to kill off Lyta actually makes a lot of sense and I no longer believe she’ll ever again show up in anything but a guest star capacity.

I never had anything against Lyta as a character except that I found her to be on the bland side.  I was disappointed to learn that she'd been brainwashed since I thought her really going over to Zod's cause might make her more interesting.  In any event, I'm good with her being gone from the show permanently if that's the case.  I'd just as soon do without any potential love triangle melodrama. 

Brainiac's voice is mesmerizing. 

• Love 1

I’ve now watched this episode four times, and I get more impressed with it each time.

The filling of previously unknown back story to Krypton before JorEl is brilliant. But a couple of unanswered questions. When and how did the Kryptonians ever learn where Earth was? And who was the actor that portrayed Zed/Doomsday? He wasn’t listed in the credits.

10 hours ago, rove4 said:

In any event, I'm good with her being gone from the show permanently if that's the case.  I'd just as soon do without any potential love triangle melodrama. 

Not to mention that a large part of this historical episode was to firmly establish the Seg/Nyssa relationship beyond just being bound together.  They're more together beyond that official act.  Strange way to get rid of one of the leads.  I wonder if they'll change the credits.  If not, then that would mean Lyta returns in some fashion within the next three episodes.

• Love 1
(edited)

Better late than never.  Found this article on how Lyta's death affects the current situation and the impact on Superman's Canon story.

This article covers the episode "A Better YeSsterday"

General Zod's plan just went sideways, and his mother Lyta paid for it with her life. In "A Better Yesterday," the latest episode of Krypton, Jax-Ur made good on her promise to kill Dru-Zod's second-in-command and slit her throat on Kandor's public broadcast.

Just when Lyta appeared to quash the rebellion on Krypton's moon Wegthor, Jax-Ur unleashed her secret weapon. During a negotiation between Lyta, Val-El and Jax, the former Black Zero leader revealed her missing eye doubled as an electromagnetic generator, with the ability to discharge energy buildup. With this, Jax mowed down Lyta's snipers and took Lyta hostage. She then used Lyta's codes to access Kandor's broadcast system and issue her demands to Zod: withdraw the Sagitari from Wegthor in an hour, or Lyta dies.

Krypton Challenges Everything You Thought You Knew About Lyta

Unfortunately for Lyta, Zod tried to have his cake and eat it too. He told Jax and the rebel forces that he would pull the Sagitari off the moon. However, in classic Zod fashion, he lied. He disguised his prisoners of war as Sagitari and sent them down the space elevator, while leaving his real army behind. Kem discovered the hidden Sagitari and reported his findings to Jax just as Zod's time ran out. Faced with a split-second decision, Jax carried through with her threat. As all of Kandor looked on, Jax slit Lyta's throat, and the episode cut to the credits.

Of course, not everyone agreed with Jax's choice. Val was horrified by her actions, believing that it made them as bad as Zod himself. However, Jax's intention was to put Zod between a rock and a hard place: "If Zod risks losing this war just to save his mother, it goes against everything the Sagitari are taught: loyalty to Krypton above all else. But if Zod lets Lyta die, the people of Kandor will see him just as they did Daron: just another tyrant desperate to stay in power." Thanks to his own actions, Zod fell into the latter category.

Krypton Finally Reveals Where

Is - And It Isn't Good

It is unclear how Lyta's death will affect Superman's timeline. After all, Dru-Zod is the son of Lyta and Seg-El. Now that Lyta has died, that disrupts the future as Adam Strange knows it; theoretically, Dru should no longer exist. It's possible the Codex, the technology that creates children on Krypton, still carries Lyta's genetic material and thus will allow him to be born. Until the next episode, though, we won't have any answers.

Of course, Krypton has provided many ways for Lyta to come back -- eventually. As established in Season 1, cloning technology exists in this universe. What's more, it has proven successful, since Daron-Vex used it to bring his daughter Nyssa back to life. Further, thanks to her reconditioning, Lyta's memories are stored somewhere in Kandor, though only Zod knows where.

Airing Wednesdays at 10 pm ET/PT on Syfy, Krypton stars Cameron Cuffe as Seg-El, Shaun Sipos as Adam Strange, Georgina Campbell as Lyta-Zod, Elliot Cowan as Daron-Vex, Ann Ogbomo as Jayna-Zod, Rasmus Hardiker as Kem, Wallis Day as Nyssa-Vex, Aaron Pierre as Dev-Em, Ian McElhinney as Val-El and Blake Ritson as Brainiac.

Edited by Jacks-Son
Can't seem to get rid of the spoiler tag. Did not intend that. 😩
  • Love 1

I like Lyta and it's a shame that not only a lead woman of color is gone but that she was a victim of her son's tyranny via the brainwashing & that only the man in love with her seems to care. 

(edited)
10 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I like Lyta and it's a shame that not only a lead woman of color is gone but that she was a victim of her son's tyranny via the brainwashing & that only the man in love with her seems to care. 

I wouldn't say only the man in love with her seems to care. Seg is the only one who knew about the brainwashing, while Jayna and Dev found out from him. All of Krypton mourned her death.

I really would like to know how much of this story was planned and how much was written as a later adjustment from the reviews, fans, actor's future plans. Was Lyta's death written in from the start or did the actress want to leave the show? Her name is still in the opening credits. Wallis Day (Nyssa-Vex) is doing an outstanding job of showing a blossoming love for Seg. The chemistry between Nyssa and Seg is much better than that between Lyta and Seg. 

I also would like to know how a bio-digital entity could take over a hologram AND abscond with an infant.

Last but not least, I'm looking forward to the way "Krypton" reintroduces Lobo into the current story. Lobo reminds me of a character in "Deadly Class" called "Fuckface". He too was a hoot and overbearing.

Edited by Jacks-Son

It is common practice that an actor with season regular status appear in the credits, whether or not they’re in the episode or not.  It partially depends on the actor’s contract provisions.

i’m under the impression this show plans out the scripts for all the episodes up front before filming. 

So far I’ve been nothing but impressed how the stories have been unfolding. 

18 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I also would like to know how a bio-digital entity could take over a hologram AND abscond with an infant.

They loaded the nanites.... into the computer? (It didn't seem like a sound idea to me, either, but I guess they didn't have a mayonnaise jar handy).  The nanites took over the computer and used it to contact the Brainiac ship, which then transported them and the baby aboard.

• Useful 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, MarkHB said:

They loaded the nanites.... into the computer? (It didn't seem like a sound idea to me, either, but I guess they didn't have a mayonnaise jar handy).  The nanites took over the computer and used it to contact the Brainiac ship, which then transported them and the baby aboard.

Your answer is very well thought out and explained nicely. Since the show really didn't provide any information to explain what just happened, your scenario works for me.  Thanks.

Edited by Jacks-Son
Poor grammar 🤭
  • Love 2
On 7/25/2019 at 11:16 AM, Chris24601 said:

and set up the Lyta clone to secretly steal Seg’s DNA to make a baby (thus creating the circumstances General Zod described of his childhood of his mother being a woman who was broken by the loss of his father and refused to discuss him or even tell young Dru-Zod his father’s name).

This was something I didn't know about, that Dru-Zod wasn't told his father's name. What makes him think that Seg is his father?  I forget much of Zod's story, or rather, I didnt care enough about Zod's story to try to remember it.

7 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

This was something I didn't know about, that Dru-Zod wasn't told his father's name. What makes him think that Seg is his father?  I forget much of Zod's story, or rather, I didnt care enough about Zod's story to try to remember it.

Dru-Zod's blood was able to open up Doomsday's vault. Which required both Zod and El blood.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Thanks for that, but how does that explain how Dru-Zod knew Seg was his father?  I guess I'm missing a connection here.

I think it was he went back in time an met his mother, then figured out which member of the El family line she most likely had a child with. Since there were not too many of them left, he wouldn't be too far off. He could definitely rule out the hologram. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

He could definitely rule out the hologram. 

LOL, I love these process of elimination Parents. Only works with small sample sizes. See, this whole going back in time to see who your father was kind of creeps me out, especially if you're just going back to fuck shit up.

• Love 1

I don't think it occurred to Zod that an El could be his father until he saw the affection between Lyta and Seg in the caves. The theory took hold after that and was proven right when he used just his blood to open that vault. The question now is if Seg will always be his father or if the events that have unfolded since Zod's trip to the past will change his parentage.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

The question now is if Seg will always be his father or if the events that have unfolded since Zod's trip to the past will change his parentage.

As far as I could tell Dru-Zod's trip to the past prevented him from being born.

• Love 2
On 7/26/2019 at 11:11 PM, Jacks-Son said:

Not to mention that a large part of this historical episode was to firmly establish the Seg/Nyssa relationship beyond just being bound together.  They're more together beyond that official act.  Strange way to get rid of one of the leads.  I wonder if they'll change the credits.  If not, then that would mean Lyta returns in some fashion within the next three episodes.

It really didn't establish Nyssa/Seg as a couple.  At all.  They've already had Jor-El.  And any future babies could still be had the SAME way they had Jor.  Genetically in a test tube.  Especially if the Man of Steel Canon is holding for this show.  Neither Jor-El or Zor-El can be natural births.

• Love 3