Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: Only Human

• Start Topic

Aaron is affected deeply when he learns one of his residents was possibly contemplating suicide and decides to bring awareness to black mental health on campus. With the campuswide "Fundie Run" on the horizon, Jazz and Sky let the competition get the best of them. Meanwhile, Zoey hones in on why fashion is so important to her.

Promo:

Original air date: 7/24/19

Really Zoey? You don’t understand why your major was initially denied? 

The black mental health story line was well done. I wish the whole episode had focused on that.

I hope this show isn’t going where I think it is with someone falling.

#blackmentalhealthmatters

• Love 5
(edited)

Aaron and the issues surrounding black mental health was really good, so much that I wished we could have spent more time on it than on Zoey's fashion woes. Mental health issues are a major issue on college campuses (while the guidance office on their campus apparently just sucks in general, many really do try to help students but they are often underfunded) and especially with students from underrepresented groups. I wish they could have spent even more time on it, like the stigma in some parts of the African American community, but it was a good issue to talk about, and its good to see Aaron back to his activist roots, and while his group chat was kind of awkward, it was at least a good start. 

Have we ever seen Luka and Aaron interact all season? Generally Luke kind of keeps to himself, so its kind of funny seeing him pop up in a non Zoey plot, even just for the end. 

I really hope it wasn't one of the twins that fell, and that they arent doing what I think they might be doing. I know that Halle is off to new things, but I love the twins. "You know who doesn't have a life? Big Rob."

Zoey being denied her major isn't exactly a surprise considering her grades are mediocre at best and is on academic probation for cheating.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
53 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I really hope it wasn't one of the twins that fell, and that they arent doing what I think they might be doing. I know that Halle is off to new things, but I love the twins. "You know who doesn't have a life? Big Rob."

? It was Halle's character who fell. She's in a neon yellow hoodie and you see her break away from the others to run faster, then you see her on the ground in the same hoodie.

I loved the Luka and Aaron scene and the fact that they kept Charlie serious for the discussion in his office.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

So let me guess it was Sky who fell down, got injured, and loses her scholarship, so that Halle Bailey could have time to go "Under da Sea" and reply to all her racist hate mail.

They didn't just make this episode a few weeks ago and the season can't be much longer. There is no need to write her out yet.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

They didn't just make this episode a few weeks ago and the season can't be much longer. There is no need to write her out yet.

Sky can just Skype in every now and then to stay connected to the show.

• LOL 2
(edited)
On 7/25/2019 at 6:34 AM, woodstock said:

Really Zoey? You don’t understand why your major was initially denied? 

Zoey knew she wanted to major in some aspect of fashion since she started college.  She never thought to check what the requirements for a fashion major were?  Perhaps she can take design lab again next semester.

On 7/25/2019 at 1:10 PM, tennisgurl said:

Zoey being denied her major isn't exactly a surprise considering her grades are mediocre at best and is on academic probation for cheating.

It's not just these two reasons, or she wouldn't qualify for any major.  I can't believe that a fashion major requires a higher GPA than any other major-she just doesn't have the prerequisites.

I can't help but feel that Cal U. isn't a very good college.  An unqualified goofball can teach a for-credit night courses in a ridiculous topic, and then become Dean of Students, a resident adviser in a freshman/sophomore dorm is constantly serving alcohol to minors with apparently no oversight, and the (course) advising is also terrible.  The last one is also on Zoey for not bothering to look up what the requirements for a fashion major were.  As usual, she just assumed everything would just fall in her lap, as it always has up until a couple of months ago.

Zoey not knowing that astronomy is not the same as astrology (and requires significant math and physics courses) makes her sound dumb (and still incapable of looking up prerequisites).  Is that what the show wants us to think?

However, now she gets to pick and choose from the sociology and fashion departments without having to fulfill the requirements for either major.  That's pretty smart. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Aaron and the issues surrounding black mental health was really good, so much that I wished we could have spent more time on it than on Zoey's fashion woes. Mental health issues are a major issue on college campuses (while the guidance office on their campus apparently just sucks in general, many really do try to help students but they are often underfunded) and especially with students from underrepresented groups. I wish they could have spent even more time on it, like the stigma in some parts of the African American community, but it was a good issue to talk about, and its good to see Aaron back to his activist roots, and while his group chat was kind of awkward, it was at least a good start. 

When he said the school would spend millions on a stadium to make more millions off Black bodies but wouldn't spend a dime on their minds, I was like "TELL HIM AARON."

Black mental health is SO important, and I wish the show had focused 100% on that. I don't care about Zoe's major, especially when juxtaposed with an issue as serious as mental illness in the Black community.

• Love 14

Too bad they've made Zoey shallow and Aaron more interesting. This show is supposedly about the girls, but the writers keep showing us they think the boys are way more interesting.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2
On 8/1/2019 at 1:28 PM, possibilities said:

Too bad they've made Zoey shallow and Aaron more interesting. This show is supposedly about the girls, but the writers keep showing us they think the boys are way more interesting.

I think that everyone but Zoey is interesting.  I love the dynamic between Jazz and Sky, and Ana's "relationship" (or not) with Aaron.

But Zoey is pretty dull, mostly because she rarely stands up to her bullying boyfriend.

• Love 4