Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Wickedness of the Wicked Shall Be Upon Himself

• Start Topic

Jackie strong-arms Jimmy to get a step closer to finding the armored truck guards. Decourcy rattles a suspect called to testify before the Grand Jury. Siobhan learns something unsettling about a leader of the Coalition.

Original Airdate 07/07/2019

These kids learn to swear at a young age.  Cathy Ryan tells off her daughter’s teacher for recommending the kid talk to a therapist only to have the kid tell her to shut up and she slaps the kid.

Jenny Rohr says her daughter is spiteful to her.  She is trying to take classes and volunteer at a catholic school but Jackie threatens the young priest who revokes the volunteer position.

What a horrible household.

Jackie meanwhile is telling Ward how to do his job, to get the grand jury to become interested in the Revere armored car heist.  So Ward goads one of the witnesses to explode, go off on a racist tirade.

Meanwhile they cut corners on a bullet fragment but that evidence may be inadmissible.

Siobhan hears a young black woman complain about sexual misconduct by the reverend but gaslights her, suggests she’s trying to get money.  Then tells her husband that the Boston PD is trying to frame the reverend.

Then the reverend comes on to her.  Says something about her dress, how she looks like Beyoncé?  Isn’t this show taking place in the early ‘90s?

I'm still enjoying this show. Even my Jersey ass has to watch it with the closed captions on. What language do they even speak in Bosstin?

Cathy Ryan is the biggest stone cold badass of the bunch here. I'm gonna make sure she has some money in her hand, indeed.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, The Solution said:

I'm still enjoying this show. Even my Jersey ass has to watch it with the closed captions on. What language do they even speak in Bosstin?

There's a lot to like in this show, I'm enjoying the complex characters and the excellent acting. But Jesus Christ, the constant barrage of F bombs! I'm an appalling potty mouth but I don't go in to a meeting with my boss yelling "what the fuck you want?". And surprise! Not everyone in Boston talks like a dock worker from Southie or a truck driver from Revere with an 8th grade education. Most Bostonians do not have such a thick blue collar accent. Softer r's? sure. Broader a's? of course. But not the cartoon "wicked good" "fuckin' Santahpio's, ked" accent on all of these people. If you grew up in one of the tonier suburbs and went to college, and work a white collar job? Pffft. I grew up in a blue collar town north (nawth) of Boston. People say "Oh, you're from here? You don't have an accent." Well, yes I do. Its just not a North Revere, so thick you can cut it with a knife accent.

I refuse to believe that Frankie let his daughter say that her mother was "batshit". The parents might curse and swear a blue streak but they don't want their kids doing it. The folks are supposed to be Townies? Old school. Do as I say, not as I do. He might say "hey! watch yer fuckin' mouth!", but he wouldn't just chuckle warmly when his 11 year old daughter swore in front of him.  But I admit that its a quibble. Like the Black women with Irish names like Siobhan and Kayla. Not saying its not possible but I've never seen it.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

There's a lot to like in this show, I'm enjoying the complex characters and the excellent acting. But Jesus Christ, the constant barrage of F bombs! I'm an appalling potty mouth but I don't go in to a meeting with my boss yelling "what the fuck you want?". And surprise! Not everyone in Boston talks like a dock worker from Southie or a truck driver from Revere with an 8th grade education. Most Bostonians do not have such a thick blue collar accent. Softer r's? sure. Broader a's? of course. But not the cartoon "wicked good" "fuckin' Santahpio's, ked" accent on all of these people. If you grew up in one of the tonier suburbs and went to college, and work a white collar job? Pffft. I grew up in a blue collar town north (nawth) of Boston. People say "Oh, you're from here? You don't have an accent." Well, yes I do. Its just not a North Revere, so thick you can cut it with a knife accent.

I refuse to believe that Frankie let his daughter say that her mother was "batshit". The parents might curse and swear a blue streak but they don't want their kids doing it. The folks are supposed to be Townies? Old school. Do as I say, not as I do. He might say "hey! watch yer fuckin' mouth!", but he wouldn't just chuckle warmly when his 11 year old daughter swore in front of him.  But I admit that its a quibble. Like the Black women with Irish names like Siobhan and Kayla. Not saying its not possible but I've never seen it.

Being a native NEW YAWKER I know exactly what you're talkin' about.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, preeya said:

Looks as if everyone has abandoned this mediocre mess.

I liked the first episode, but the "church" subplot is confusing to me and seems shoehorned in. Plus, a lot makes no sense and is hard to follow. And I can't stand the Jackie character (Kevin Bacon) so I sort of now watch with one eye and ear. Maybe that is why I am so confused. 😀

3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Oh, Jackie is an unrepentant sinner for sure. He's such an asshole. Entertaining. I love how Rachel is not buying it. He tried coming on to her and she shut him down with a quickness. Go, girl.

Jackie Rohr is a typical Kevin Bacon character. He's an asshole plain and simple, with no redeeming traits.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, scrb said:

Siobhan hears a young black woman complain about sexual misconduct by the reverend but gaslights her, suggests she’s trying to get money.

Honestly I thought she was going to side with her. Siobhan is getting in deep with the reverend and I think he's going to drag her down with him. I believed the woman.

I'm not interested in the priest plot with Jackie's wife because it just seems so tropey. It feels like they're just giving the character something to do out of not having a narrative direction for her.

I like the grand jury plot the most. I assumed it was going to play out over the season, which makes sense. I think Jackie was right though - get in there swinging. I'm looking forward to what's coming up with this. I'm King Kong line was killer.

10 hours ago, The Solution said:

Cathy Ryan is the biggest stone cold badass of the bunch here. I'm gonna make sure she has some money in her hand, indeed.

Is she ride or die or what?

• Love 1

Siobhan get my side eye, Rev is straight Trash.

Whew Chile that Grand Jury scene,  he said Gorilla and the N word with his WHOLE CHEST!

Jackie has picked up on Rachel's loneliness.

She ain't checkin for him, but I think  DeCourcy wouldn't get turned down.

There's already small cracks in his marriage to Siobhan.

Which I think will get worse 

Jenny needs to grow a spine and backbone 

I would've smacked the food, taste and teeth out that child's mouth.

Jill Hennessey is only 50, they have her lookin hella rough on this show.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

Jill Hennessey is only 50, they have her lookin hella rough on this show.

I foresee her doing some well deserved bodily harm to Mr. Jackie Rohr.

26 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

She's the hot scientist chick from Robocop 3, correct?

Yes.

Also an Law and Order Alumn, played ADA Claire Kinkcaid on The .Mothership. 

Was the lead on her own series, Crossing Jordan, for six  seasons.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I think I have to bail. Who the hell is Kinicki?? It seems that this show is right up my alley and I just can’t get a hold of it. I’m confused with the grand jury too. 

Can't find any info on Kinicki, but I found this:

“Orange Is the New Black” alum Emma Myles has joined the cast of Showtime’s “City on a Hill” in a recurring role. She will appear alongside stars Kevin Bacon and Aldis Hodge in the role of Kelly Kinicki’s widow, Babsie. Her grief resurfaces when Jackie (Bacon) and Decourcy (Hodge) re-open the investigation on Kelly’s disappearance, Showtime said.

1 hour ago, The Solution said:

What kind of name is Babsie? Or Kick, for that matter.

Can't speak for Babsie, but Kick as a nickname for Kathleen is a callback to Kathleen Kennedy, who was nicknamed Kick. She was a rebel and a bit of a firebrand, who married an English Marquess, who was Protestant, causing problems with Rose, the family matriarch. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Cavendish,_Marchioness_of_Hartington

• Useful 2
  • Love 1