Type keyword(s) to search

S19. E08: Young and Addicted

• Start Topic

(edited)
43 minutes ago, Court said:

Is there a thread for the episode prior? Addicted Moms? I need to sort out my conflicting emotions on Mallory.

Not that I am aware of. I had more issues with the other Mom. The one that, once sober, still thought it was ok to let her 18 year old daughter raise her two younger siblings while she stayed in her new location and went to college.  I realize that it’s recommended  that you change your life so you don’t slip into old habits/ but it’s not fair to run out on your kids and expect your other kids to raise them. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Not that I am aware of. I had more issues with the other Mom. The one that, once sober, still thought it was ok to let her 18 year old daughter raise her two younger siblings while she stayed in her new location and went to college.  I realize that it’s recommended  that you change your life so you don’t slip into old habits/ but it’s not fair to run out on your kids and expect your other kids to raise them. 

I completely agree with you. My feelings regarding her aren't conflicting. I think she sucks.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

Start one,please!

Hi hoosiermom. I probably should have because the three addicts featured--a very young married couple from one family with a sweet little baby girl and a young teen, 17 or 18 I think from the other family--were some of the worst addicts I have ever seen, especially the young man. His name is Brett and the couple's names are Morgan and Terrence. I am sad to say that Brett almost seemed to be brain damaged from his meth and heroin use.

I'll think about starting a topic, if anyone is interested.

Take care.

• Love 6

At the young age of 20, Morgan and Brett are both battling addiction. Brett was an only child when his alcoholic father abandoned him. Raised by his mother in her parents’ home, Brett was on his way to success despite their struggles. But when his mom moved them into a new home with her violent boyfriend, Brett’s addiction spiraled. Morgan is married, has a one-year-old daughter, and is addicted to the only drug she ever tried – heroin. Without an intervention, the once picture-perfect child may now be in danger of leaving her own child motherless.

Request to one of the mods: there are several responses to this episode under Season 19, Episode 7, "Family of Addicts." Would appreciate having those moved to this topic.

Thanks.

• Love 2

brett's relapse and behavior sadly did not surprise me. His family's attitude toward everything was not helpful at all. 

Morgan needs some self confidence, stat! It seems like she really developed some while she was in treatment and I hope her husband either gets help or stays far away from her. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, tljgator said:

Every now and again there's someone on this show that you can't imagine any other outcome for than death -- I would definitely put Brett in that category.

I whole heartedly agree. I have thought about him all day. He was so sick and grandpa taking him back in almost assures a death outcome. So sad.

• Love 3
(edited)

My post st the beginning Of this thread actually pertains to the Addicted Moms episode.  

Now as to this episode- I was actually pleased to see that even 1 of the 3 made it thru 90 days. My DVR cut off before the post about what happened when Morgan got home.  The reason I was pleased is that none of these 3 had actually been left to deal with things themselves. In all 3 cases, grandparents were basically meeting their every need. Why would they feel any urgency to get clean? 

Brett is one of the sicker addicts featured here I think. Although we have had so many episodes that it’s hard to rank them in terms of sheer closeness to death.   I do not think he will survive.

I don’t have an opinion about Terrance’s possible future/ I worry about Morgan. She is always going to be tied to him thru their daughter. Unless she gets more self esteem, I see her drifting back into addiction. She’s relapsed before just to be with him. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4

I'm really sad to say that I don't think there is a chance for Brett. I wonder if the beating he took resulted in a brain injury. I suspect there was more going on with his mom than just bipolar. I think she likely has addiction issues as well. I wish Grandpa hadn't taken him back in but it didn't surprise me that he did. He was clearly not into any of the Intervention from the beginning.

Terrance: wow his own mother shot him up when he was 12? That's  beyond comprehension for me. I felt Morgan's family blamed Terrance too much for Morgan's addiction. He bears a lot of the responsibility but she does as well. I hope she doesn't relapse.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

My post st the beginning Of this thread actually pertains to the Addicted Moms episode.  

Now as to this episode- I was actually pleased to see that even 1 of the 3 made it thru 90 days. My DVR cut off before the post about what happened when Morgan got home.  The reason I was pleased is that none of these 3 had actually been left to deal with things themselves. In all 3 cases, grandparents were basically meeting their every need. Why would they feel any urgency to get clean? 

Brett is one of the sicker addicts featured here I think. Although we have had so many episodes that it’s hard to rank them in terms of sheer closeness to death.   I do not think he will survive.

I don’t have an opinion about Terrance’s possible future/ I worry about Morgan. She is always going to be tied to him thru their daughter. Unless she gets more self esteem, I see her drifting back into addiction. She’s relapsed before just to be with him. 

Well if he’s still using that will be a valid reason to keep him out of her life and their daughter’s life, but as you said her self esteem will play a huge role in this I think. It, self esteem is not gained overnight, and thus will continue to be a struggle for her.

Sadly enough, I think if she started getting romantic attention from other men she wouldn’t give Terrance the time of day and might even continue to stay clean. I wish her well in her recovery. 

15 hours ago, Court said:

I'm really sad to say that I don't think there is a chance for Brett. I wonder if the beating he took resulted in a brain injury. I suspect there was more going on with his mom than just bipolar. I think she likely has addiction issues as well. I wish Grandpa hadn't taken him back in but it didn't surprise me that he did. He was clearly not into any of the Intervention from the beginning..

Maybe it really was just the drugs that had him walking around like a zombie and nearly  unintelligible, but I wondered this as well. 

I agree with everyone here Brett likely won’t make it. The BSOJ stated that he’s still using and has overdosed numerous times since the episode filmed. I think a part of him wants to die and sadly I think he’ll eventually get his wish. 

Yes, I don't think Brett has long for this world unless something is done.  His grandparents are oblivious.  

I watched a show where an anorexic girl was close to death and was hospitalized against her will and force fed through the nose.  It saved her life and she recovered with therapy.

We don't seem to have these powers when it comes to drug addicted children.  Brett might be 18 but mentally he's not much more than 13.  

So sad.  He could've grown into a great guy and had a family and a life. 

• Love 3

Brett is so far gone that he is feral. Devastating to watch.

Morgan is intelligent and young and therefore has a good chance for recovery. I wonder if her family caved and encouraged her to return home sooner than recommended because of the opinion that she shouldn't be away from her daughter. The therapist stated that Morgan's mother encouraged her to come home "because she missed her." So some denial about how to do recovery lingers there.

• Love 4