Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

BetterButter

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019)

Recommended Posts


I saw this trailer and don't understand it at all. Maleficent was good in the first movie. How did she become evil all of the sudden?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BetterButter said:

So now it's about a custody battle, despite the fact that Aurora's of age and Maleficent didn't technically raise her. Wheeeee.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

So now it's about a custody battle, despite the fact that Aurora's of age and Maleficent didn't technically raise her. Wheeeee.

Those must be Phillip’s parents because Aurora’s parents are both dead. I think I’ll pass on a custody battle over an adult between two woman who aren’t her mother. 

  • Love 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm just gonna say no thank you and maybe catch it on cable if I'm bored in 2-3 years.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

I admit I haven't seen the first one cause I have no interest in the trend of humanising cartoon villains but I always assumed that technically the movie still slotted into the original animated feature's story. I'm guessing the fact that Maleficent is alive with Arora and Phillip getting married that my assumption was way way way off track and this technically has nothing to doing with the animated movie except for the stealing of names.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, Bill1978 said:

I admit I haven't seen the first one cause I have no interest in the trend of humanising cartoon villains but I always assumed that technically the movie still slotted into the original animated feature's story. I'm guessing the fact that Maleficent is alive with Arora and Phillip getting married that my assumption was way way way off track and this technically has nothing to doing with the animated movie except for the stealing of names.

The only thing that follows the animated movie is the sleeping curse and Aurora being raised away from her parents. Just about everything else was changed to make Maleficent the hero in the end. 

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

I sheepishly admit that the first Maleficent is a bit of a guilty pleasure, and that's only because I have no great love for Sleeping Beauty. Still, I don't like it enough to defend it against its haters, because I 100% see where they're coming from. I really wish everyone (Disney especially) would stop trying to "humanize" the villains and inundating us with their damned backstories. Can't a bitch just be evil?!

A sequel to Maleficent goes above and beyond redundancy. There is absolutely nowhere else for the story to go. If Maleficent does in fact become evil and stay there, that will just render the previous film entirely pointless... and I just left myself wide open for a bunch of snarky retorts, didn't I? Well, don't blame me, blame the Mouse!

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I sheepishly admit that the first Maleficent is a bit of a guilty pleasure, and that's only because I have no great love for Sleeping Beauty.

And for me, Sleeping Beauty is my favorite from the group of films that came out back then with Cinderella, Snow White. Because Prince Phillip was an actual character, unlike the princes in Cinderella and Snow White. Maleficent was the BEST Villain. She was EVUHL, deliciously so. And the actress who voiced her was amazing. That last final fight between her and Prince Phillip was fucking awesome.

There was no need, NONE AT ALL, for Disney or anyone else, for that matter, to make these movies, as far as I'm concerned.

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

There was no need, NONE AT ALL, for Disney or anyone else, for that matter, to make these movies, as far as I'm concerned.

The live-action remakes just need to stop. Now. Preferably 5 years ago, but now will do. 

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

And soon Emma Stone will play Cruella de Vil. Oh, yay, the most psychotic (seriously, have you ever stopped to think how truly nightmarish Cruella is?) of Disney villains will get a backstory too, I'll bet. Let me guess, a dog bit her once, and now she must skin puppies? 

Here's a thought to chew on for the day: maybe, just maybe, it doesn't matter what happened to you in your past, there's no justification for your horrible present actions?!

Whoops, getting off topic, back to Maleficent: Electric Boogaloo*. Definitely not seeing it.

At least Michelle Pfeiffer looked like she was having fun.

*Roll your eyes at me all you want, it'll always be funny to me!!

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And for me, Sleeping Beauty is my favorite from the group of films that came out back then with Cinderella, Snow White. Because Prince Phillip was an actual character, unlike the princes in Cinderella and Snow White. Maleficent was the BEST Villain. She was EVUHL, deliciously so. And the actress who voiced her was amazing. That last final fight between her and Prince Phillip was fucking awesome.

There was no need, NONE AT ALL, for Disney or anyone else, for that matter, to make these movies, as far as I'm concerned.

Not to mention how badass Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather were.  I guess I should be grateful that Maleficent made new characters out of the idiot pixies and didn't besmirch the legacy of the three awesome fairies.

I don't need Disney making villain apologist movies, thank you very much.  That crap was handled on Once Upon A Time.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't like the first film but was fine with the happy sparkly ending. Don't know why they made a sequel since the first one wasn't exactly a blockbuster.

The trailer made it look like Maleficent turn evil but I'm not buying it. She's probably ordering Aurora around to protect her from the true evil queen played by Michelle.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

59 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

The trailer made it look like Maleficent turn evil but I'm not buying it. She's probably ordering Aurora around to protect her from the true evil queen played by Michelle.

Because, you know, God forbid a protagonist is ever dead wrong about anything. Nope, their unreasonable actions must be justified at all costs!

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Not to mention how badass Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather were.

I recently caught the original Sleeping Beauty on TV, and for all the talk about how previous princesses were passive and waited for the male to save them, this technically doesn't happen in Sleeping Beauty. Sure the princess just lays around and yes a man saves her BUT without those 3 female fairies Phillip would still be in a dungeon, he wouldn't have any weapons, he wouldn't have been able to slay Maleficient. So in the end it was 3 females who saved the passive princess. And I don't think those 3 females get the credit they deserve when people discuss how progressive Disney movies have become since ye olde days.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bill1978 said:

I recently caught the original Sleeping Beauty on TV, and for all the talk about how previous princesses were passive and waited for the male to save them, this technically doesn't happen in Sleeping Beauty. Sure the princess just lays around and yes a man saves her BUT without those 3 female fairies Phillip would still be in a dungeon, he wouldn't have any weapons, he wouldn't have been able to slay Maleficient. So in the end it was 3 females who saved the passive princess. And I don't think those 3 females get the credit they deserve when people discuss how progressive Disney movies have become since ye olde days.

Sleeping Beauty is actually the one princess movie that could benefit from a live action version. There is much about it that is wonderful that if it was pulled out of the 50’s mindset it could be even more interesting and innovative.

Instead they took their greatest villain and turned her into a victim and in the process destroyed all the heroes. 

Edited by Dani
  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

There was no need, NONE AT ALL, for Disney or anyone else, for that matter, to make these movies, as far as I'm concerned

That's socialist talk. Why do you hate America?

[/s]

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Saw it today, really enjoyed it. Although I was a bit confused, I thought it was said that Maleficent had control over life and death, I thought she would be able to bring the other fairies back to life but I guess it meant her own life.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size