Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

(edited)

Zac created some 3D printed pieces for five dresses at this year's Met Gala. More info here.

zac.thumb.jpg.3507f8baf3db4043b36017b8178c4582.jpg

For Katie Holmes, he created palm leaves that rest on her shoulders. They took 56 hours to print. The dress took 300 yards of tulle.
1986238081_katie1.thumb.jpg.28b6cf90459ab90291092545c355fbe2.jpg

170716211_katie2.thumb.jpg.e3bb9441864dc9e98717e9d8cbe96d6b.jpg

403663067_katie3.thumb.jpg.673504f5fb810a538b00a49f5aaa7df7.jpg

Nina Dobrev is wearing a 3D printed bustier made of four pieces that took 200 hours to print. It was then wet hand sanded and sprayed with a clear coat to make it look like glass. She said it took six people to get it on.

220414745_nina1.thumb.jpg.38adb3547e0250ee66e63318af6a0447.jpg

1232105941_nina3.thumb.jpg.96b58cc0e1b373c679c104ad61af475b.jpg

Julia Garner is wearing a 3D-printed brass plated vine headpiece with leaf and berry embellishments. It took over 22 hours to print. The headpiece is pretty but that dress is amazing! She looks like the world's sexiest octopus.
1425815050_julia1.thumb.jpg.47d24e8b8b11c150e37598b3707ccc41.jpg

680602481_julia2.thumb.jpg.cd9067995d75efbbfeea8d760599b5fe.jpg

Deepika Padukone's gown has 408 pieces of 3D-printed "embroidery" that took over 160 hours to print.
deepika1.thumb.jpg.3efe8b6333d528adc5aa83c4df28c494.jpg

794744551_deepika2.jpg.0e18b8e7a104de441a865f67ca7d8f9f.jpg

Jourdan Dunn's gown is made of 37 3D printed rose petals which took over 1100 hours to print.
137783488_jourdan1.thumb.jpg.26ab1d6ee7af6a7cfcfc3ef340a7a8bc.jpg

1920825426_jourdan2.jpg.b6b1adc4af59e03e3b837d369c9eb40e.jpg

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

As much as I enjoy seeing stuff like this, the practical part of me wonders how anyone can sit down once they're in one of these dresses. Nina's is so short that her bare ass would be on the seat. Katie's has a huge train so does she have to sit on a bench so that she isn't wrinkling 300 yards of tulle? And Jourdan's dress is entirely made of 3D plastic, so is it even possible for her to sit? Does she just squat when she gets tired?

Remember when Justin made those 3D printed pieces for his final collection?

• Love 4

The dresses are impressive, though it's unclear to me how they relate to the Camp theme. 

Zac Posen definitely comes through with the technologically advanced, beautiful gowns. He also did this amazing light-up gown with a zillion LED lights incorporated in the fabric that Claire Danes wore to the Met Gala a few years ago.

claire-danes-met-gala-2016-660x401.jpg

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

The dresses are impressive, though it's unclear to me how they relate to the Camp theme. 

Zac Posen definitely comes through with the technologically advanced, beautiful gowns. He also did this amazing light-up gown with a zillion LED lights incorporated in the fabric that Claire Danes wore to the Met Gala a few years ago.

claire-danes-met-gala-2016-660x401.jpg

Yeah, there were many looks that had no relation to the camp theme.  Some were just plain pedestrian imo.  Of the looks I've seen, I think my least favorite was on Gisele Bundchen.  Miley was nothing special.  Carlie was just okay.

7 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yeah, there were many looks that had no relation to the camp theme.  Some were just plain pedestrian imo.  Of the looks I've seen, I think my least favorite was on Gisele Bundchen.  Miley was nothing special.  Carlie was just okay.

I thought Katie Perry’s Candelabra dress was great and campy 

(edited)
29 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

I thought Katie Perry’s Candelabra dress was great and campy 

This was her after party get-up:  (scroll right/4th pic) 

Time out:  Maybe that's scroll left, click right

Oh the perils of never using Tinder

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • LOL 1
On 5/7/2019 at 3:51 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

... Remember when Justin made those 3D printed pieces for his final collection?

Yes ! I even was asking myself if it was not a kind of "collaboration", because, if I remember correctly, Justin has specialized in that kind of thing... I'm not sure, to be sincere, but that's what I have in my head, lol !

• Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

This is his 5th marriage, he was on his second marriage when she was born

Most of his children are older than his newest wife. His kids were born in 1970, 1973, 1981, 1982, and 1986. His new wife Katherine was born in 1984. It must be weird when you are older than your step-mom. Anyway, the dress was beautiful. I liked that the slideshow included a picture of the inside of the dress so you could see all the boning and structure.

I scrolled further down the page to see more wedding dresses and there was another slideshow/article for the wedding of Jenna Rennert (Vogue's beauty editor). She wore four dresses to her wedding celebration, one of which was a Grecian inspired gown designed by PR alum Michael Costello!

vogue.jpg.6efbafe1263188ffeb4bbafb9611f7c1.jpg

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I'm an original Bravo PR fan who decided to check out season 18 and fell in love again. Since season 17 isn't available on Hulu I decided to try out some of the Lifetime seasons. I've watched season 16 and now I'm half way through season 14 and Zac is insufferable! I thought maybe it was me, but I just listened to a Tim Gunn podcast where he talks about how much he absolutely hates him lol. It was nice to see someone felt the same as me. I don't mind a tough judge, but he just has a cockiness about him and comes off more rude than critical.

I also hate that they have the segment where the top and bottom models meet with the judges to inspect the garments. More than anybody I feel like he is always touching the models and moving them around in a way that feels like they aren't even people. It's such a contrast to how the judges now will walk up to the runway to inspect a garment and will ASK if it's okay to touch them. I don't mean to imply he's being inappropriate in a sexual manner, but it's just dismissive to them as people. In the episode I just finished (Broadway or Bust) the guest judge (who is a model) called him out for it and told him to stop moving the model around and trying to teach her how to model. I was glad somebody finally mentioned it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 2/6/2020 at 2:50 AM, KnotsLanding said:

I'm an original Bravo PR fan who decided to check out season 18 and fell in love again. Since season 17 isn't available on Hulu I decided to try out some of the Lifetime seasons. I've watched season 16 and now I'm half way through season 14 and Zac is insufferable! I thought maybe it was me, but I just listened to a Tim Gunn podcast where he talks about how much he absolutely hates him lol. It was nice to see someone felt the same as me. I don't mind a tough judge, but he just has a cockiness about him and comes off more rude than critical.

I've never liked Zac. He's always felt like he had more money, connections, and privilege than talent or discipline. He'd been busy making dresses for childhood friends like Lola Schnabel and Jaime King. Of course someone was going to decide that this precocious child with an insane amount of access and resources was a genius even if his work was fairly overwrought and lacking decent editing.

It's not too surprising that he went out of business either. It's a tough business and he had absolutely no humility or discipline for the first dozen years of his career. He pronounced himself the new Saint Laurent, Lacroix, and De La Renta, couldn't design decent daywear, and decamped to Paris in a fit of pique because the French would understand his designs better than New Yorkers ever did. He returned to the US 2 years later because it turns out that French women apparently do a ton of things before 5pm and didn't need a wardrobe full of evening wear. If it's a stretch for him to design a collection with a pair of pants or skirts that weren't satin, tulle, ruffled, or beaded/sequined, then he was always going to have limited success. Lots of people are very successful doing evening and bridal, but he wanted to be feted like he was fucking Gaultier or Lagerfeld or Saint Laurent. It was bonkers.

The irony is that the stuff he's been known for during the last 7 or 8 years of his career is stuff he talked endless shit about during the first 12. He was horrified to be compared to Michael Kors.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

He was horrified to be compared to Michael Kors.

If he was talking about the later years, I get it, though it seems most designers reach a point of sellout.  Izaac, MK, Lauren...

I suppose if someone dropped a semi trailer of cash in my driveway, my head would be turned also.