Type keyword(s) to search

Ghost & Nymeria: Direwolf Endangered Species

• Start Topic

(edited)

Ghost: survived E0803. He charged with the Dothraki, but I could swear I saw him in the crypt later. Anyone else?

Nymeria: Anyone think she will come to kings landing, or was Arya's encounter on the road the last goodbye?

Any of the others survive?

Bran's: maybe? doubtful.

Robb's: no

Sansa's Lady: no

Rickon's Dog: no

Edited by andipandi

It's actually quite possible that most species of animal north of the wall survived by staying as far from the White Walkers as they could. Doesn't seem like the AotN was particularly interested in nonhumans. They turned a few giants, a bunch of horses, a dragon, and a bear, but if they were turning every useful creature they could get their hands on we'd have seen a lot more zombie bears, zombie wolves, zombie woolly mammoths, and whatever else is up there.

• Love 2
On 5/2/2019 at 7:53 AM, andipandi said:

I kind of like the symbolism of this scene:

Compared to the scene of ned finding Lyanna on her deathbed. Rescuing pups.

"Where will they go? Their mother's dead." does sound like the Lyanna/Jon situation (with plural progeny). Then Jon convinces Ned to let them keep the pups without even knowing there's a 6th one for him, making it a selfless action not unlike Ned's protection of him.

• Love 4

Disgusting what they did with Ghost.  If Jon had said that he wanted Ghost to remain in Winterfell to protect Bran and Sansa, I wouldn't have had a problem.  But to trade Ghost like he was some junker car?  Unacceptable. 

On the bright side, we don't have to listen to D&D whine about how difficult it is to CGI direwolves anymore.

• Love 5
(edited)

Huge wolves are not hard to CGI, at all.

The saddest part is that we lost all of the Stark and wolf magic of this story, or nearly all of it. 

They could have had wolves, and much more interaction than a pat on the head, they just chose not to.  This company perfected it by the final season of Twilight, all the work was done, and they could have easily done the wolves for GoT.

We could have even had Ghost's red eyes, which are probably significant to the story as well.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Just watched the live version of Beauty and the Beast and they had several CGI wolves in the movie.  I have no idea what D & D had against the direwolves.  I think that Nymeria and Ghost should have had far more prominent roles in the last season.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Just watched the live version of Beauty and the Beast and they had several CGI wolves in the movie.  I have no idea what D & D had against the direwolves.  I think that Nymeria and Ghost should have had far more prominent roles in the last season.

I honestly don't either, and obviously, the wolves are tied to the magic of all the Stark's, not just Bran.  They can all warg for example.  I think it was more that the showrunners didn't want more magic, because obviously, HBO would have paid for anything.

I think they just liked battle scenes and dragons more.  That company that did the wolves for Twilight, by the end of the series?  They looked SO very real, and interacted with the actors in very real ways, including battle scenes, and much more complicated stuff than D&D would have needed.  Even the first season wolves were pretty good, but by the end?  Amazing.

I watched the extras about the wolves, and how they shot them (basically people carrying a giant styrofoam wolf cut out) and then CGIing it in, but they cared so much, spent time with real wolves, mimicked behavior, and even did the various kinds of hair wolves had (different around various areas of their bodies, etc.)

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3