Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E22: O ke kumu, o ka māna, hoʻopuka ʻia (The Teacher, The Pupil—Let It Come Forth)

• Start Topic

Well, the Windows shilling was relatively subtle and vaguely relevant to the F plot. Always glad to see Noelani getting a plot. She could have made it out there on her own without her backstabbing mentor! That said it was odd that she had not known about her mentor's fall from grace. But I liked her conversation at the end with Steven where she explained why she had walked away from her initial career path in order to pursue forensic pathology.

As for the main plot: I couldn't help thinking that evil plotting must be a fountain of youth. The father of Adam's not-yet love-interest looked the same age as his daughter and Adam (I couldn't find info on Sonny Sato's age but he started his movie career around the same time as his two co-stars). But I thoroughly enjoyed finally seeing a character mocking Adam and his shiny badge. What are the odds Adam will return for that drink? The suspense is killing me!

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

What are the odds Adam will return for that drink? The suspense is killing me!

No spoilers here, just speculation from knowing this all-too-predictable show. Adam will have a messy, public falling out with 5-0 and will throw his badge down in disgust. He'll show up at Yakuza boss' place and take him up on the drink. He'll immediately be brought in on some super nefarious plot. 5-0 will swoop in when it's going down and Adam will reveal that he's been undercover the whole time.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, dwmarch said:

No spoilers here, just speculation from knowing this all-too-predictable show. Adam will have a messy, public falling out with 5-0 and will throw his badge down in disgust. He'll show up at Yakuza boss' place and take him up on the drink. He'll immediately be brought in on some super nefarious plot. 5-0 will swoop in when it's going down and Adam will reveal that he's been undercover the whole time.

Ugh please no. Because of course that will happen.

4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

But I thoroughly enjoyed finally seeing a character mocking Adam and his shiny badge.

This killed me. 

tbh, as much as we justifiably rip on Adam's uselessness, this is basically what his job should be - interfacing with organized crime. That's it. Because spilling the details of the investigation to the crime boss' daughter isn't a good idea. 

Although seriously, shooting the guy and telling them to use his valve was bad ass. 

Typical Five-0 though. No warrant, just barge in the house. "Hey he's not here dumbasses".

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Tony Dickson said:

Once and for all, YA koo za or ya KOO za?

It's more like ya koo za because in most Japanese words, every syllable gets identical stress. For some reason, English speakers (or maybe all non-native Japanese speakers, IDK) want to stress the second syllable in Japanese words, which is why you hear ya KOO za from all the actors. I was so surprised that Adam and Steve pronounced Tamiko correctly (tah mee ko, rather than tuh MEE ko) that I had to rewind it and make sure I heard them). My mom's name is Japanese and more than once I'd call her work, ask for her with the correct pronunciation, be told there was no one there by that name, so then I'd say her first and last name, and the person on the phone would say, "oh! You mean [incorrect pronunciation]!" That was always a treat.

This episode is where we see that the writers have just given up on making sense. Steve asks Adam how Tamiko's father knew the fiance was FBI and Adam's response is basically

alec baldwin snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

And Steve is like, OKAY GOOD INVESTIGATION YOU MUST BE TIRED NOW.

I don't even know where to begin with the Noelani plot. The gunrunner's kid manages to put together an entire operating theater and get a top surgeon who has coincidentally been disgraced and bankrupted, but they can't figure out a way to get either a heart valve or a second surgeon to assist other than by  kidnapping the county medical examiner whose best friends all work for 5-0. So dumb.

Edited by fishcakes

Yeah, in Japan it's "yahkuza" all smooshed together and flat with no on any of the syllables. I learned kanji from the trains when I was there. 

I can barely speak any Japanese but what I can actually say, I can say correctly. Japanese people get weirded out because I say stuff right. 

OF COURSE the doctor was crooked. I swear we could write better episodes. 

I think Adam and Tamiko will get together, just as their parents wanted.  Then Adam will bust Daddy.

I missed a few minutes when my cable dropped out - how did Noelani escape?  Did the son have a team of ICU staff hostage somewhere else, to care for Daddy after surgery?  Or did he think that having a valve replaced was like getting a tooth filled and Daddy would up and gun running by dinner?

I know that the show would not have the guts, or depth, to allow it, but I think Steve and Noelani would make a good couple.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Tony Dickson said:

Once and for all, YA koo za or ya KOO za?

I’m pretty sure it’s the former—accent on the YA. That’s how I’ve always pronounced it & heard it pronounced by most people who have cause to say it. It’s probably like nu-klee-ur vs. nu-Q-lure (& don’t get me started on that).

34 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

I think Adam and Tamiko will get together, just as their parents wanted.  Then Adam will bust Daddy.

I missed a few minutes when my cable dropped out - how did Noelani escape?  Did the son have a team of ICU staff hostage somewhere else, to care for Daddy after surgery?  Or did he think that having a valve replaced was like getting a tooth filled and Daddy would up and gun running by dinner?

I know that the show would not have the guts, or depth, to allow it, but I think Steve and Noelani would make a good couple.

He thought having an open chest valve replacement was like getting a tooth filled & daddy would be up & around, gun running by dinner time (although if they knew about, & showed, the new heart valve replacement procedure Mick Jagger recently underwent, while that procedure is no more invasive than most cardiac diagnostic procedures, pacemaker implantations, &/or angioplasties, daddy still wouldn’t have been up & gun running right after dinner—though he would’ve been up & around much sooner than he would be since he had traditional open chest valve replacement).

I think the show (or at least the showrunners & CBS) would have the guts to make Steve & Noelani a couple before they would Steve & Danny. If you’re thinking the interracial aspect would scare them off, I don’t think it would. But maybe I just have a different perspective because I’m the product, with my younger brother, of a multicultural marriage. My late father was Filipino (which I think Kimee Balmilero, & therefore Noelani, is in part) & my mom is Caucasian-American, from Alabama.

I wasn’t thinking of the interracial aspect at all - I was thinking that every one of Steve’s girlfriends was tall and thin.  I don’t think the show would ever pair the lead actor with a woman who is not a size 4.  

Now that you mention race, have Steve or Danny ever been interested in a non-white woman?  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

I wasn’t thinking of the interracial aspect at all - I was thinking that every one of Steve’s girlfriends was tall and thin.  I don’t think the show would ever pair the lead actor with a woman who is not a size 4.  

Now that you mention race, have Steve or Danny ever been interested in a non-white woman?  

I think that the prerequisite for their girlfriends is that they must have bikini-friendly figures.  I knew that Claire Forlani's character wouldn't be a love interest because she looked more business professional than the others.  I supposed you could count Greer as non-white, although I think the actress is bi-racial.

• Love 1

I may have missed things, I was distracted watching this one.  But it seemed sloppy.

For example, when Adam was talking to the gangster dad, they talked about the missing fiancee being FBI.  A few minutes later, in the car talking to Steve, Adam said they didn't talk about it, that he couldn't ask if the dad knew or not.

Or the doctor going back and forth about her being too valuable to kill or not, then of course they shot her.