Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Season 4

A place to discuss particular episodes (that do not have specific episode threads), arcs and moments Season 4. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I didn't mind the Sarah Jessica Parker epsiode, but it highlights the one weakness in the show to me. Over the course of the series, four seasons, there have only been 3 female comedians, and there were none in the first (and longest) season. I know there weren't a lot of female comedians working the circuits when Seinfeld was, and those are the people he wants to interact with, but damn, man, there are some very funny ladies out there.

I didn't mind the Sarah Jessica Parker epsiode, but it highlights the one weakness in the show to me. Over the course of the series, four seasons, there have only been 3 female comedians, and there were none in the first (and longest) season. I know there weren't a lot of female comedians working the circuits when Seinfeld was, and those are the people he wants to interact with, but damn, man, there are some very funny ladies out there.

And yet (and I've brought this up a few places) the ones he knows intimately haven't shown up.  He knew Elayne Boosler, Carol Leifer of course.  I'm sure he knew Sandra Bernhard.  He would have encountered Rosanne Barr, Margaret Cho and Rosie O'Donnell in the comedy clubs early in their careers (remember, it wasn't until 1988 that he got his show and these ladies all did the clubs in the early and mid 80s).  And I'm just naming the women back then who are still noteworthy. I'm sure he knew plenty of others.

• Love 1

I didn't realize we had a forum for this show. Thank you, !

The Sarah Jessica Parker episode felt a little weaker than some of the other episodes I saw, but I'm looking forward to George Wallace this week and to Jon Stewart's episode, whenever that will be. It does seem to be a predominantly white, male show, judging from the website archive, so I hope this season's diversity is a sign of seasons to come. I haven't kept up with their careers, but has Seinfeld remained friendly with Julia Louis-Dreyfus? That would be a nice reunion, since he's had the other two on.

The Sarah Jessica Parker episode felt a little weaker than some of the other episodes I saw, but I'm looking forward to George Wallace this week and to Jon Stewart's episode, whenever that will be. It does seem to be a predominantly white, male show, judging from the website archive, so I hope this season's diversity is a sign of seasons to come. I haven't kept up with their careers, but has Seinfeld remained friendly with Julia Louis-Dreyfus? That would be a nice reunion, since he's had the other two on.

I watched the Sarah Jessica Parker episode this morning, and while it wasn't hilarious, I really liked it. She wasn't super funny, but she was surprisingly likable. Plus the whole thing with the station wagon and them sitting in the back at the end made me laugh. Plus I really liked their conversation about tipping and how you don't want the waitress to tell her friends that Jerry Seinfeld and Sarah Jessica Parker came to her table, and they only gave her a $10 tip. 

And yet (and I've brought this up a few places) the ones he knows intimately haven't shown up.  He knew Elayne Boosler, Carol Leifer of course.  I'm sure he knew Sandra Bernhard.  He would have encountered Rosanne Barr, Margaret Cho and Rosie O'Donnell in the comedy clubs early in their careers (remember, it wasn't until 1988 that he got his show and these ladies all did the clubs in the early and mid 80s).  And I'm just naming the women back then who are still noteworthy. I'm sure he knew plenty of others.

Interesting point about the female guests. You could also add the fact that there were a ton of female comedic actresses who had bit parts as Jerry's girlfriends on Seinfeld, who went on to greater success.

• Love 3

Interesting point about the female guests. You could also add the fact that there were a ton of female comedic actresses who had bit parts as Jerry's girlfriends on Seinfeld, who went on to greater success.

Fair enough.  But the point I was trying to make (and it wouldn't be true of one-off guest stars on the sitcom) is that there were plenty of female comedians he knew pretty well, not just casually, from his club days, and a bunch more he had to have met dozens of times.

Fair enough.  But the point I was trying to make (and it wouldn't be true of one-off guest stars on the sitcom) is that there were plenty of female comedians he knew pretty well, not just casually, from his club days, and a bunch more he had to have met dozens of times.

You are probably right, although in all honestly I don't really care. I mean the show is basically Jerry hanging out with people he likes to hang out with, not him conducting job interviews. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Plus I really liked their conversation about tipping and how you don't want the waitress to tell her friends that Jerry Seinfeld and Sarah Jessica Parker came to her table, and they only gave her a $10 tip.

I liked that part, too. It was interesting to see how being a celebrity affects a moment like that, whether it's an awareness of class privilege or of the potential for bad press (via social media). I got the sense from the Alec Baldwin interview that it was more of the latter than the former for him, but I suppose it's ultimately a pragmatic issue for most celebrities.

Edited by Fremde Frau

I thought SJP and Jerry had great chemistry together and wouldn't mind watching a sitcom with those two. SJP lost a few cool points with me for being a shitty tipper though.

Just saw the latest episode with Aziz Ansari.  I only watched this because it was filmed right up the street from my house.  It's so weird to see a show (webisode, whatever) when you are VERY intimately aware of every little piece of the area they are in since I was able to notice quite a few things.  For example, they made it look like Jerry got in the big bus and then drove for hours and hours in Boston.  Well, the bus was parked in Worcester (about an hour outside of Boston) and were they went to get coffee is 2-3 miles down the road.  All of the other stuff was obviously filmed separately in Boston.  Also, when Jerry drove out of the parking lot he went to the right, but the diner is really to the left so they had to loop around.  It's just really strange when you have driven the same roads hundreds or thousands of times before.

I've also eaten the food in that diner a few times, so I felt bad for the owners when Jerry said he thought the blueberries were weird and the oatmeal watery (or whatever).  Granted, I've only had their omelets, so maybe their oatmeal really sucks.  I don't know.

I did like Jerry's interactions with the truck drivers.  That must've been such a thrill for them!  That gas station across the street from the diner has the best price of gas, so everyone goes there- not just truckers.  Anyway, it was fun to watch and I did enjoy the conversation so I may have to go back and watch the other episodes now.  

• Love 3

For someone who made his career of highlighting little things that people do that annoy him to no end, and the exhaustion of being nice all the time, I have to say that Jerry really comes across as someone who gives a damn about his fans and is happy to oblige them, at least that's what the editing shows. But I think the fact that he chooses to do the show in this format is evidence enough of that.

The Aziz epsiode did highlight that he has a slightly more difficult time with people who aren't his friends. Both seemed like they felt a little awkward, which I get, their styles don't really overlap.

• Love 1

Jerry has perfected the art of leaving the audience wanting more, but I do wish the episode with Jon had been longer. That story about his cat on prom night was hilarious; I'm so glad they animated it! They had fantastic chemistry, and it was refreshing to see Jon away from politics and the Daily Show setting. If only Jon could act, I'd want them to do a show together, along with Louis CK. Oh, well. They're all doing perfect shows for their own interests and talents, so I can't really complain!

I'm now excited about these two minute "shots" from the vault, as Jerry described on TDS the other night. I had no idea he was planning that.

The Jon Stewart one is probably one of my favs so far (the George Wallace, Letterman and Chris Rock are up there too). The whole thing where they just went to a random residential neighborhood and walked around was great. I liked how in one shot you saw some guy just standing in his porch looking at  them, probably wondering what the hell Jerry Seinfeld and some guy in a hat were doing walking by his house. Plus I love how self aware Jerry seems to be about his public personality and his career. I mean the whole thing with the budgies talking about "what's the deal with birdseed" made me laugh a lot.

I also liked the bit about how he asked Jon what he was going to do in 10+ years and he talked about it for awhile. Then Jon asked Jerry if he thinks about that, and he basically said he didn't need to because he is essentially retired. 

• Love 2

. SJP lost a few cool points with me for being a shitty tipper though.

She suggested leaving $10 on a $37 bill, that is 27% so I wouldn't really call that being a shitty tipper. Yes, she is rich but it's not like she was going to leave a $1.

• Love 4

She suggested leaving $10 on a $37 bill, that is 27% so I wouldn't really call that being a shitty tipper. Yes, she is rich but it's not like she was going to leave a $1.

For a normal meal I would say that would be an awesome tip. But factor in the fact that they were basically shooting a television show it might not be so great. I mean they were probably at the table for longer than a normal meal would be. Plus factor in that the camera crew was there and all the other commotion and distraction it would have caused, I would have hoped they would have left a pretty awesome tip based on all of that.

• Love 2

For a normal meal I would say that would be an awesome tip. But factor in the fact that they were basically shooting a television show it might not be so great. I mean they were probably at the table for longer than a normal meal would be. Plus factor in that the camera crew was there and all the other commotion and distraction it would have caused, I would have hoped they would have left a pretty awesome tip based on all of that.

And maybe "they" (as in Seinfeld and the CiCGC production team) did. I imagine the film crew all have a cup of coffee or two while they're working, and probably all of them tip something. On top of which, I would be surprised if Seinfeld and/or the producer didn't give the coffee house, and the coffee house staff, a little "honorarium" for their trouble. I could be wrong, obviously, but that's where I'd lay my money. SJP's nice-sized 27% tip might be the only tip we see, but it might not be the only gratuity given. IMO, we shouldn't be too quick to jump all over it.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

And maybe "they" (as in Seinfeld and the CiCGC production team) did. I imagine the film crew all have a cup of coffee or two while they're working, and probably all of them tip something. On top of which, I would be surprised if Seinfeld and/or the producer didn't give the coffee house, and the coffee house staff, a little "honorarium" for their trouble. I could be wrong, obviously, but that's where I'd lay my money. SJP's nice-sized 27% tip might be the only tip we see, but it might not be the only gratuity given. IMO, we shouldn't be too quick to jump all over it.

SJP grew up very poor. I think she appreciates the value of money. I remember when she had her son and she was talking about designer clothing on kids and she mentioned that her son has many cousins and therefore had tons of hand me downs. She couldn't fathom spending money on stuff he would only wear for a short time. I didn't get the impression that she was putting on an act, I think she really believes (and is correct) that it was a waste of hard earned money, when he had perfectly good things to wear. 27% is very generous. And I'm sure the crew took care of the business as you stated.

• Love 2

I suppose this is as good a thread to put this as any. I love the Acura commercials that precede the episodes. (At least on Crackle, the [seinfeld-owned?] network on which this show runs on Apple TV.) They're funny and twisted in a way that actually makes me wonder whether Seinfeld wrote them.

I was just watching the episode with Seth Meyers and Seth ended up having to pay and Seinfeld asked if Seth left a good tip and Seth said he did and Jerry clarified "show business good?" so I do think that he believes that celebrities should tip more. I have heard stories about him being a very good tipper, so I don't think the thing with SJP had anything to do with filming the show and therefore leaving extra.

• Love 1

I was just watching the episode with Seth Meyers and Seth ended up having to pay and Seinfeld asked if Seth left a good tip and Seth said he did and Jerry clarified "show business good?" so I do think that he believes that celebrities should tip more. I have heard stories about him being a very good tipper, so I don't think the thing with SJP had anything to do with filming the show and therefore leaving extra.

You could be right. Since the 27% tip SJP left was more than generous by "ordinary mortals" standards, I'm curious what everyone's general idea of an appropriate "show business" tip would be. The bill was $37. What was the right "show business" amount for SJP to have added to that? $50? $100? $500?

Edited by Milburn Stone
On 10/28/2014 at 3:05 PM, Milburn Stone said:

You could be right. Since the 27% tip SJP left was more than generous by "ordinary mortals" standards, I'm curious what everyone's general idea of an appropriate "show business" tip would be. The bill was $37. What was the right "show business" amount for SJP to have added to that? $50? $100? $500?

I'm also curious about the tips that are being left.  "Show business" aside, they're also filming a TV episode there.  Does that merit consideration for an even larger tip?

There have been comments about Jerry tipping well in several of these episodes.  I'm glad to hear it.  Considering Jerry is worth $900 million, he probably considers it one of the least of the things he can do to give some back.  I have to respect him for that.

When Sarah Silverman snuck a look at Jerry's tip, she said "Oh, that's nice", and he had paid by card.  Not sure if that's a factor.  If I was worth $900 million, and the bill was $37, I'd probably just leave a hundred and tell them to keep the change.

• Love 1