Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Hot Blood, Hot Thoughts, Hot Deeds

Dee
  • Start Topic

When Empire launches its national tour in Philly, things heat up and egos clash. Jamal and Kai's relationships gets complicated and Treasure has an embarrassing mishap on stage. Cookie tries to grapple with her feelings for Damon, while the Feds start investigating Empire.

(edited)

Oh no, Cookie. Thanks a bunch, Treasure, though honestly, it was only a matter of time before Cookie had enough of Lucious' ego and overall bullshit. 

Damn, merciless violent Lucious is back. That beat down and murder in the alley was brutal. Cross better run because he is dead man walking.

You'll be okay, Andre. I still have no clue who is coffin. Thirsty or even Treasure, maybe?

I can't believe Tiana had sex with that obnoxious guy. At least, Maya didn't hook up with Hakeem. She is better off with Blake, less drama and he will get over Tiana soon enough.

I loved Jamal's duet with that chick (don't know her name). Oh Jussie. Ugh, Kai is back. So that is how Jamal leaves, but I still hate the whole situation.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 9

Angie Martinez!!!!! Oh, that takes me back.

I loved that montage where Cookie, Lucious and Giselle were trying to get the different artists to sign on to the tour. So deliciously soapy!

Giselle has fit seamlessly in with the Lyons. I love her scenes with Lucious and Cookie.

Someone needs to tell Damon how hazardous it is to one's health to be around the Lyons.

Porsha as tour manager - long may it continue. And she looked AH. MAZING. when she introduced the tour.

"The way to get over someone, is to get under someone else." LMAO!

Love Teri and Andre. She is so incredibly supportive and loving with him. Just what he needs.

After an iffy outfit last week, Cookie looked great this week.

Seeing "Directed by Gabourey Sidibe" made my heart sing.

What a fun episode!

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

Gabby has got serious directing skills!

Yeah, bad night to try threatening Lucious in a dark ally, guy. Lucious might be making some attempts at being a less crappy person lately, but he is still a violent and dangerous man who is not to be trifled with. Cross might be scary, but he might have met his match messing with Lucious. 

The songs all sounded good this week, specially the Tiana/Treasure song, and Jamal and the British chick. So it looks like Jamal will leave the show to go off with Kai. Well, I guess if we have to lose Jamal, I will be happy if he at least gets a happy ending. God dang it Jussie. 

Teri and Andre seem like a really good match, she is up to taking care of him when he wont take care of himself. It also looks like Andre might have a cure on the horizon! Now that he has a terminal illness, I am actually convinced that he will make it out of this season alright. 

Treasure doing a little fake fall on stage was cute, but her getting all up on Lucious was seriously bad form. And of course the one time Lucious isnt being an asshole, he gets caught. Those doors at the hotel were swinging through drama all over the place!

Glad that Hakeem and Maya didnt hook up, or that Blake and Tiana didnt either, even though I cant stand annoying no show guy. Maya and Blake are a much better call, much less potential for Lyon related drama. 

Fun episode, hope that Gabby directs another!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

I loved Jamal's duet with that chick (don't know her name). 

Her character’s name is Wynter played by real life singer Joss Stone. She appeared in a couple of earlier episodes this season as a friend of Jamal’s from London. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Wow, I didn't know that Gabby directed the episode. I was wondering where Becky was. Gabby did a great job. It was fun action packed episode with a lot going on. Kudos to Gabby!

2 minutes ago, Angeleyes said:

Her character’s name is Wynter played by real life singer Joss Stone. She appeared in a couple of earlier episodes this season as a friend of Jamal’s from London. 

So that is Joss Stone. I have heard of her, but never saw her up close before. Great voice!

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7

Dammit, I'm still mad at Jessie, but I'm still watching!

The blogger had me cracking up & hey, that's real life for celebrities.

They ain't have to do Treasure like dat tho! I mean, anybody could fall off a stage, but they ain't have to snatch her ponytail off, too! I. Died.

I loved when they were praying before the show & Hakeem started singing: "You're so beautiful...!" a little bit off key. That seemed like an authentic, heartfelt moment among brothers & a tour group.

Yass! To Joss Stone sanging! I haven't heard her do anything in ages which is a sin & a shame.

Go Gabby!!!! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Giselle has fit seamlessly in with the Lyons. I love her scenes with Lucious and Cookie.

Gisselle is the best cast addition in a long time. She has great chemistry with everyone, especially Becky. I hope the plan is to keep her permanently. I have always liked Nicole Ari Parker, but love her in this role because she brings the drama, the humor, and the sexy.

• Love 6

Wood Harris is doing great work.

Most business and romantic rivals of Lucious often feel as if they're marking time until they're dispatched; but Cross feels different, and not just because Cookie is attracted to him.

He's handsome, dashing, suave & dangerous. Laz was too small time, Malcolm was too much of a boy scout & Angelo was too much of a mama's boy, but Cross is not afraid to pursue what he wants, even if it means getting his hands dirty.

He's the first potential rival of Lucious that feels like a genuine threat.

• Love 5

Treasure doing a little fake fall on stage was cute, but her getting all up on Lucious was seriously bad form. And of course the one time Lucious isnt being an asshole, he gets caught. Those doors at the hotel were swinging through drama all over the place!

Right! If those wall could talk...

I also loved the inclusion of the Instagram star Hey Beautiful's running commentary on the tour. Her "like and comment below" sign off cracked me up.

• Love 3

So Kai and Jamal reunited this episode. There are 3 episodes left (next week’s episode + a 2 hour finale the following week) and next week’s episode was already in the can and they were in the middle of filming the final two episodes when everything went down with Jussie. I’m wondering how much more of a storyline was left for Jamal and Kai for this season in the original plan? I guess everything will hinge on next week’s episode since Jamal was written out of the finale. I wonder if they will be sent to London or if the show will just leave it at that they are reunited for now? Then depending on what decision is made about Jussie remaining with the show, they could make mention of where Jamal and Kai are at the beginning of next season. 

• Love 1
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Angeleyes said:

There are 3 episodes left (next week’s episode + a 2 hour finale the following week)

There are 5 episodes left.

Every Empire season consists of 18 episodes.

Edited by Dee
(edited)

Cookie, Cookie….Treasure skankin’ herself over Lucious gave you the out to ride Cross, like your ass needed an excuse to fuck him.  Heiffa’s been looking at him hungrily for the last coupla episodes.

So Tiana and Hakeem are officially done?  I liked the idea of her with Blake.

I like Andre and Teri too and hope that he makes a recovery….he deserves happiness after all he’s lost.

I called Alley Dude being sent to the Upper Room after selling wolf tickets to Lucious, who was beyond in a bad mood.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Dee said:

That was AWESOME!

Gabby needs to direct more episodes, because she's got talent!

Facts!  Gabby's got skills.   This was her debut as a director. My goodness!  The directorial skills in this episode was that of a seasoned professional.  I truly want more episodes with Gabby as director. 

ava duvernay women GIF by Half The Picture

• Love 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Oh no, Cookie. Thanks a bunch, Treasure, though honestly, it was only a matter of time before Cookie had enough of Lucious' ego and overall bullshit. 

When they were showing the flashbacks I thought "Damn, Lucious has really put Cookie through hell."

14 hours ago, SimoneS said:

So that is Joss Stone. I have heard of her, but never saw her up close before. Great voice!

I've always liked her voice - very soulful, IMO. That sheer yellow outfit with matching granny panties, however ...

5 hours ago, Dee said:

Most business and romantic rivals of Lucious often feel as if they're marking time until they're dispatched; but Cross feels different, and not just because Cookie is attracted to him.

He's handsome, dashing, suave & dangerous. Laz was too small time, Malcolm was too much of a boy scout & Angelo was too much of a mama's boy, but Cross is not afraid to pursue what he wants, even if it means getting his hands dirty.

He's the first potential rival of Lucious that feels like a genuine threat.

My friend and I were just saying this! He's by far the best foil they've had for Lucious.

I had to look away when Lucious went off at the end. Just too much.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I had to look away when Lucious went off at the end. Just too much.

To be honest, I looked away after Lucious slammed him the second time. When I looked back, the camera was zoomed onto the guy's broken bloody face. Damn. Brutal.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
(edited)

This episode totally blew me away. I was impressed with the directorial debut of Gabourey. Empire needs more of her directing, to pull the viewers back in. This was terrific.

The Thirsty storyline is becoming more bizarre by the episode. So what is he going to do? Give up Lucious or Cross? I do find his storyline fascinating though with his involvement with Cross and all what went on. Boy! Cross is vicious.

The tour was an absolute blast and I just love, love, love the Instagram star "Hey beautiful." That was ingenious.

The onstage performance was awesome but who was messing with the lights? Treasure falling off stage and getting her wig pulled off was hilarious. The lady who sang with Jamal was exceptionally good. Maya seemed out of place though. I wish they could give her a ballet number to perform.

What Treasure did with Lucious was terrible. It seems that's what she did with her previous boss but Lucious was very unfortunate this time because this time, he was truly innocent but caught in a precarious position. Why did Cookie have to jump into bed with Cross right away? She must have had a thing for him because that was not her only choice. She could have just gone right to her room and waited for Lucious there. That was cheap. Damon Cross though is growing on me. He is suave, dashing and dangerous, a perfect nemesis for Lucious.

The pairing in the hotel actually was unexpected. I never expected Tiana or Maya to end up with who they ended up with. I could care less about silly Kia returning to Jamal. Why couldn't he just stay in London? I just can't stand that guy.

Poor Andre never catches a break. From his psychotic illness, to being abused by his father, to losing his wife and baby and now to terminal cancer. How can the writers burden one character with all these problems? Terrible. At this point, all that is left is just to kill him off which would be terribly tragic!!

I was not surprised when the real dark side of Lucious surfaced again. When he showed up in that dark alley, I knew Lucious the devil had surfaced. That was vicious!!!

Overall, one of the best episodes this entire season. 9/10

Edited by Margohill
  • Love 5

Watching those performances is what I really missed about the earlier seasons of Empire. The fun songs and talented voices. My only issue is with the character of Treasure. I think the writers only throw her character in when the show needs a dose of diva-ish drama and even then, the actress doesn't really cut it. When she delivers her lines, she says them with the most vacant stare. That's not good when the lines she delivers are supposed to be "cutting". 

Her duet with Tiana was laughable considering the fact that Treasure can't dance. The editing was so s****** and the scene was cut so many times that you could barely tell what was happening. There was also a point where the ponytail was covering Treasure's face and I have a feeling that it wasn't the same actress moving.

The vibe I'm getting from her character is that she's supposed to be deviously manipulative, you know, the kind of girl who takes what she wants when she wants it but the actress can't portray that with her wooden acting. She happens into situations. She doesn't make them happen.

• Love 4

Dang, that was Gabby directing? I had no idea, and I thought the direction was absolutely outstanding tonight. I really hope she gets to direct more.

It was so effective the way she had the hotel corridor scene, with poor Blake, and then Cookie walking by as the door closed on him and Maya. I’ve had a soft spot for him and Tiana together since “One More Minute” (love that track!) In fact, I adored how music was used throughout the episode, and I had to look up the song that was used for the corridor scene: Love and Hate by Michael Kiwanuka. Which is another testament to how good the direction was, introducing new music, in a show about….music!

The sad thing was how much the episode reminded me what a great character Jamal is. All the scenes with him doing the creative director thing, and then him on stage…magical. I’m really praying they find a way to save the character, even without Jussie.

Also appreciated – a non-binary character social influencer that even Oprah follows, lol!  “Not sure you can call them a bitch.” LOL love Porsha!

• Love 2
On 4/4/2019 at 12:16 AM, NowVoyager said:

They ain't have to do Treasure like dat tho! I mean, anybody could fall off a stage, but they ain't have to snatch her ponytail off, too! I. Died.

From the look on Tiana's face, it looked like she was grabbing Treasure in order to keep her falling off the stage and was surprised to be holding a wig.

• LOL 1
On 4/4/2019 at 12:16 AM, NowVoyager said:

👏🏼

Please, she deserves it from all of her bratty behavior. A little embarrassment is going too easy on her.

• LOL 2

TVOne is airing a marathon of season 5 episodes, and I just watched this one. I'd forgotten that between the Trust Tour, the feuds, the hookups (and in Cookie and Damon's case almost hookups) - erry damn thing happens in this episode. And Gabby Sidibe did a phenomenal job directing.

• Love 2