Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Inca Mummy Girl

• Start Topic

After the seal of protection lying in her sarcophagus is broken, a mummified Incan girl in a museum exhibit is revivified when she sucks the life-force from a touring student. An unsuspecting Xander falls head over heels for the Latin beauty, Ampata, and must save Willow when his mistake threatens to cost her her life.

OZ! Ok, sorry. I don't have a ton of thoughts on this one, I don't hate it like I hate some others but it isn't a favorite either. Classic Monster of the Week episode, it is at least entertaining. The whole parallel between Ampata and Buffy is interesting. Another poor Xander likes a monster episode (I'm getting tired of those). Also no Angel which is fine but I feel like I was probably bitter about it the first time I watched it. 

This was the first "Buffy" episode I ever watched.  And that ultimately led me to watch until the end, so even if it was a monster-of-the-week episode, it got me to like the characters and tune in the following week.

• Love 1

I really wish they'd remembered it wasn't 1965 any more and actually hired a non-European for the role. But that said, I still liked the episode.

"One day I'm gonna live in a town where evil curses are just generally ruled out." The Scoobies were genre-savvy as hell for that time period, and even though a lot of other shows have caught up since then, the writing was snappy enough that it's still competitive.

I remembered this episode as terrible - the very worst of the monster of the week variety.  On rewatch I'll say that it's not without its charms, but either poor writing or poor post editing (or both) leave me with a ton of stupid questions that really bug.  How (not to mention why?) did the reanimated mummy get to the bus station of all places?  How does she know the real Ampata's name?  Why does no one notice that fake Ampata initially has no luggage?  Whose fugly mom-jeans is she then wearing at school the next day?  (No way she and Buffy wear the same size.)  Why would Giles assume that just because she's from South AmericaLand she would be able to read ancient Incan hieroglyphics?   One or two of these kinds of inconsistencies I can write off, but when they pile up like that it just seems lazy.  And annoying.   

All I remember this episode for is the really gross (and sadly completely believable) school dance based around a bunch of white kids appropriating other cultures for a night. And now it's nice that I have that one clip from Last Week Tonight to bring up when I talk about it.

(edited)

Probably my first episode ever, too.  It was the first time in the fall of '97 that there hadn't been a new Ally McBeal episode on opposite it (I know, I know, but that was the buzz-worthy show of the fall, honestly), and I guess when Monday Night Football was over (New England at Denver, Bledsoe v. Elway), I switched channels (no DVR until '01 for me) and checked out the show that my dad had talked up (but he liked Highlander and Hercules, so I took him with a grain of salt, RIP) and which had gotten a nice write-up from Robin Podolsky in the L.A. Weekly (wish I could find it online), which intrigued me even though I had completely missed S1.

Wasn't instantly captivated, and didn't really start watching until the promotion for Dawson's Creek (yes, again, I was following the buzz; sue me) sucked me in and I got hit with Innocence while waiting for "Emotions in Motion".  That was nice, even going in blind, essentially.  But I don't mind this one; some weak writing, true, but cute enough to cover for it.  And, pretty obviously, a lot of the faults in the writing are there because this was an S1 script that Kiene/Reinkmayer left in the drawer when they weren't rehired for S2.  (No Angel, no Jenny, lots of B/X/W triangle angst, "You are the Chosen One, you must die" Prophecy Girl-foreshadowing and so on.)  Joss probably just dropped in this "Oz" character he was basing on some guy he remembered from college and moved on.

But the characters and the actors save this one.  Which is why I love S1-S2; the episodes always try to make you remember that these are good people and good friends and they are the reason you want to keep tuning in (where the latter seasons were content to coast on good will, instead of trying to earn it, before S6 went full-on "Buffy, Willow and Xander all suck!  You're a jerk for liking them, asshole, that's why we made the Trio to make fun of our audience! Worship Only Spike, Wacky Anya, and Perfect Tara the way a good fangirl should! Shut up and squee!" and killed the goodwill forever) and the acting is wonderfully fresh and joyful, even in the sad moments.

"Well, I have a choice.  I can either spend my life waiting for Xander to go out with every other girl in the world before he notices me, or I can get on with my life."

"Good for you."
(Confused) "Well, I didn't choose yet."

"Ampata's the mummy."

(Suprised) "Oh." (Jealous) "Good." (Worried) "Xander!"

"I had you to bring me back."

Awww.  That's all it takes, really.  You don't have to awe me, just "aww" me.  "I'm irrational that way."

Edited by DAngelus
  • Love 2
And, pretty obviously, a lot of the faults in the writing are there because this was an S1 script that Kiene/Reinkmayer left in the drawer when they weren't rehired for S2.  (No Angel, no Jenny, lots of B/X/W triangle angst, "You are the Chosen One, you must die" Prophecy Girl-foreshadowing and so on.)

Thanks for this bit of info, @DAngelus .  That actually makes a lot of sense and definitely makes writing issues more pardonable.

(edited)

Particularly the "they weren't rehired" part, since if memory serves they're also responsible for the Xander Bugfuckisode.

No, David Greenwalt takes the credit/blame for Teacher's Pet : Matt and Joe's credited S1 work was The Pack.  (Although, if you've read the "writer's draft" of that one that's online, you can see that someone [Joss or David G.] did a bit of reworking there, too.)  Two riffs on "Willow pines after Xander, to no avail", with an "in-the-group" menace, both times.

A check of Kiene's IMDB shows that he was already writing for Honey, I Shrunk the Kids by this time. It also claims that Giles is named for a professor of Kiene's at Georgetown, but I don't know about that; Giles is named in the presentation reel—was the whole writing staff on board that early?  Seems counter-intuitive to hire staff before the pilot even gets made, much less picked up, IMO.

Kiene and Reinkemeyer also both wrote (separately) for Law & Order in the Michael Moriarty years; Joe's episode ("Virus", a goody written around guest-star Dana Elcar's diabetes-induced blindness) has a bit part for Alex Toma, one of SMG's old (well, not that old in 1993) co-stars from Swans Crossing.  Toma also got a small role on this series, playing Aaron, the kid who gets whacked by the Inquisitor in Anne.  ("Who are you?" "Aaron" WHACK! )  Hollywood, it's a small town.

Edited by DAngelus
On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 4:42 PM, Lisin said:

Another poor Xander likes a monster episode (I'm getting tired of those). Also no Angel which is fine but I feel like I was probably bitter about it the first time I watched it. 

Already?

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 5:40 PM, Camera One said:

This was the first "Buffy" episode I ever watched.  And that ultimately led me to watch until the end, so even if it was a monster-of-the-week episode, it got me to like the characters and tune in the following week.

Not the one I'd choose to win a new viewer over. 

On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 10:52 PM, Dianthus said:

Isn't this our introduction to Jonathon?

He was in the untransmitted pilot too.

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 4:26 AM, CletusMusashi said:

I really wish they'd remembered it wasn't 1965 any more and actually hired a non-European for the role. But that said, I still liked the episode.

"One day I'm gonna live in a town where evil curses are just generally ruled out." The Scoobies were genre-savvy as hell for that time period, and even though a lot of other shows have caught up since then, the writing was snappy enough that it's still competitive.

Ara Celi is Latino?

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 3:58 PM, Earl Is Dead said:

Whose fugly mom-jeans is she then wearing at school the next day?  (No way she and Buffy wear the same size.)  

Maybe their an old pair of Joyce's? You're right about the rest though. 

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 11:23 PM, Eegah said:

All I remember this episode for is the really gross (and sadly completely believable) school dance based around a bunch of white kids appropriating other cultures for a night. And now it's nice that I have that one clip from Last Week Tonight to bring up when I talk about it.

I think that a 'radical interpretation of the text', it's supposed to be a night of culture understanding. 

On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 7:00 AM, DAngelus said:

Probably my first episode ever, too.  It was the first time in the fall of '97 that there hadn't been a new Ally McBeal episode on opposite it (I know, I know, but that was the buzz-worthy show of the fall, honestly), and I guess when Monday Night Football was over (New England at Denver, Bledsoe v. Elway), I switched channels (no DVR until '01 for me) and checked out the show that my dad had talked up (but he liked Highlander and Hercules, so I took him with a grain of salt, RIP) and which had gotten a nice write-up from Robin Podolsky in the L.A. Weekly (wish I could find it online), which intrigued me even though I had completely missed S1.

Wasn't instantly captivated, and didn't really start watching until the promotion for Dawson's Creek (yes, again, I was following the buzz; sue me) sucked me in and I got hit with Innocence while waiting for "Emotions in Motion".  That was nice, even going in blind, essentially.  But I don't mind this one; some weak writing, true, but cute enough to cover for it.  And, pretty obviously, a lot of the faults in the writing are there because this was an S1 script that Kiene/Reinkmayer left in the drawer when they weren't rehired for S2.  (No Angel, no Jenny, lots of B/X/W triangle angst, "You are the Chosen One, you must die" Prophecy Girl-foreshadowing and so on.)  Joss probably just dropped in this "Oz" character he was basing on some guy he remembered from college and moved on.

But the characters and the actors save this one.  Which is why I love S1-S2; the episodes always try to make you remember that these are good people and good friends and they are the reason you want to keep tuning in (where the latter seasons were content to coast on good will, instead of trying to earn it, before S6 went full-on "Buffy, Willow and Xander all suck!  You're a jerk for liking them, asshole, that's why we made the Trio to make fun of our audience! Worship Only Spike, Wacky Anya, and Perfect Tara the way a good fangirl should! Shut up and squee!" and killed the goodwill forever) and the acting is wonderfully fresh and joyful, even in the sad moments.

Awww.  That's all it takes, really.  You don't have to awe me, just "aww" me.  "I'm irrational that way."

Okay, we need to be a little more constructive here! But I agree, always great when Willow acts atypically. 

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 1:47 PM, Earl Is Dead said:

Thanks for this bit of info, @DAngelus .  That actually makes a lot of sense and definitely makes writing issues more pardonable.

Hey, they gave Giles his name!

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 1:42 AM, DAngelus said:

No, David Greenwalt takes the credit/blame for Teacher's Pet : Matt and Joe's credited S1 work was The Pack.  (Although, if you've read the "writer's draft" of that one that's online, you can see that someone [Joss or David G.] did a bit of reworking there, too.)  Two riffs on "Willow pines after Xander, to no avail", with an "in-the-group" menace, both times.

A check of Kiene's IMDB shows that he was already writing for Honey, I Shrunk the Kids by this time. It also claims that Giles is named for a professor of Kiene's at Georgetown, but I don't know about that; Giles is named in the presentation reel—was the whole writing staff on board that early?  Seems counter-intuitive to hire staff before the pilot even gets made, much less picked up, IMO.

Kiene and Reinkemeyer also both wrote (separately) for Law & Order in the Michael Moriarty years; Joe's episode ("Virus", a goody written around guest-star Dana Elcar's diabetes-induced blindness) has a bit part for Alex Toma, one of SMG's old (well, not that old in 1993) co-stars from Swans Crossing.  Toma also got a small role on this series, playing Aaron, the kid who gets whacked by the Inquisitor in Anne.  ("Who are you?" "Aaron" WHACK! )  Hollywood, it's a small town.

That is some deep fandom, I thought I was obsessive. 

Inca Mummy Girl.

The Good; Another doomed romance for Xander with a demon/older woman. Will's lovely Eskimo outfit and the first appearance of Oz and Devon, the first of Jonathon since the pilot. Buffy's identification with Ampata is lovely. A good enough ep but not a great one. Xanders as a cowboy from the country of Leone

The Bad; Nothing really bad here, just a little lacking in sparkle

Best line; Oz; "What impresses me in a girl involves a feather boa and the 'Theme from a Summer Place" (the mind boggles but I'm sure it's been covered in fanfic 'Why do we write this?').

Questions and observations; The only ep in season 2 with no Angel in it whatsoever. No Jenny either. The Cordettes are back but no Harmony. The mummy's way of killing people is reminiscent of an extremely so bad it's brilliant British sci-fi horror film called 'Lifeforce'. We discover that Xander can drive and that he is aware of Willow's crush on him (which makes him turning her down all the more cruel). How does the mummy know to call Ampata's name at the bus station?  Does Amapata have to drain people totally? Couldn't she just take little bits of Lifeforce so she doesn't kill anyone?

Spoiler

Ampata shares Buffy's room, what about the one Dawn will eventually inhabit? Willow plays with a toy frog although it's later established that she fears real ones. This marks the beginning of Willow deciding to try for boys other than Xander. Buffy comments that one day Giles will have to get a proper car and indeed he does.

4/10

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/12/2018 at 4:49 AM, Joe Hellandback said:

Ara Celi is Latino?

She's from Italy.

She'd be fine as a contemporary Latin American, but in pre-Columbian times they looked Asian, not Mediterranean.

Edited by CletusMusashi
On 6/13/2018 at 12:25 PM, CletusMusashi said:

She's from Italy.

Not unless they moved it to Texas, which is where Araceli Valdez (birth name) was born. (El Paso, specifically.)  Or is this another "country of Leone" joke?  Did not know about Clayne Crawford, though.  (Didn't he get fired from that show?  Presumably not for breaking Incan artifacts, although I'm behind on my Hollywood gossip, I admit.)

On 6/12/2018 at 1:49 AM, Joe Hellandback said:
Spoiler

Ampata shares Buffy's room, what about the one Dawn will eventually inhabit?

Spoiler

As we see during the Cloutier Trance in No Place Like Home, Joyce is using that room for storage.  Which is why Buffy originally wanted to stick Ampata on the living room couch, per the shooting script.

We discover that Xander…is aware of Willow's crush on him.

This has been pretty much canon since Hyena!Xander used it against her in The Pack, and Buffy specifically calls out his knowledge of Willow's feelings in I Robot, You Jane. ("I'm not into Willow that way." "Yeah, but you got used to being the belle of the ball.") 

Rather interesting that all these explorations of the W/X possible relationship occur in episodes that do not feature Cordelia.  Was C/X planned that long ago?

On 6/12/2018 at 1:49 AM, Joe Hellandback said:

Does Amapata have to drain people totally? Couldn't she just take little bits of Lifeforce so she doesn't kill anyone?

Leaving witnesses alive, probably not such a great idea.  Semi-victims have a nasty habit of ringing the authorities…

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Not unless they moved it to Texas, which is where Araceli Valdez (birth name) was born. (El Paso, specifically.)  Or is this another "country of Leone" joke?  Did not know about Clayne Crawford, though.  (Didn't he get fired from that show?  Presumably not for breaking Incan artifacts, although I'm behind on my Hollywood gossip, I admit.)

Hide contents

As we see during the Cloutier Trance in No Place Like Home, Joyce is using that room for storage.  Which is why Buffy originally wanted to stick Ampata on the living room couch, per the shooting script.

This has been pretty much canon since Hyena!Xander used it against her in The Pack, and Buffy specifically calls out his knowledge of Willow's feelings in I Robot, You Jane. ("I'm not into Willow that way." "Yeah, but you got used to being the belle of the ball.") 

Rather interesting that all these explorations of the W/X possible relationship occur in episodes that do not feature Cordelia.  Was C/X planned that long ago?

Leaving witnesses alive, probably not such a great idea.  Semi-victims have a nasty habit of ringing the authorities…

Clayne Crawford was acting under a different name back then. I heard that it was always intended for X/C to hook up, hence why the network nixed an African American CC as they were uncomfortable with an inter-racial romance.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Ah, that explains it.  I couldn't tell you what name it was, but I've seen the ep enough times that if it had been "Clayne Crawford" on the end credits, it would have rung a bell when he first started to make news for his FOX series.

Really?  I thought that Bianca Lawson turned them down, not that the network said no to her.  Huh.

Well, I read that in Buffy magazine, what was your source?

(edited)

Huh. I figured when I first watched it that she was a "regular, (by US stanards,) mostly-Spanish" Latin American, but I could swear I remembered later reading somewhere that she was Italian.

Feh. So be it, then. My phenotype nitpick still stands, but any time I'm just drunkenly remembering things that may or may not be actual facts... then I guess all I can say is there's room for correction. Thanks to those who bothered to chime in and do so.

Edited by CletusMusashi

Ironically, the "gay content" on Dawson's Creek involved Jack McPhee (played by Kerr Smith) kissing a character played by Adam Kaufman, better known to us as 

Spoiler

Poophead Parker Abrams.

Well, if Xander had been making out with Original Bus Stop Ampata, we'd have beaten them to it.  Or why doesn't Ampata try to drain Buffy when she knocks her out…what, you're too good to drain a slayer, are you?

Yes, yes, she wants to kiss Willow (hmm, Will must be giving off a vibe ;) ), but don't be so picky, 'Pata.  Get your (lethal) smoochies while you can.

6 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Ironically, the "gay content" on Dawson's Creek involved Jack McPhee (played by Kerr Smith) kissing a character played by Adam Kaufman, better known to us as 

Hide contents

Poophead Parker Abrams.

Well, if Xander had been making out with Original Bus Stop Ampata, we'd have beaten them to it.  Or why doesn't Ampata try to drain Buffy when she knocks her out…what, you're too good to drain a slayer, are you?

Yes, yes, she wants to kiss Willow (hmm, Will must be giving off a vibe ;) ), but don't be so picky, 'Pata.  Get your (lethal) smoochies while you can.

And 'Scott Hope' later turns up on Queer as Folk;

Spoiler

which may be the origin of an in-joke in CWDP. In fairness to Dawson's much more controversial to have 2 guys kissing than 2 girls which is a turn on for straight guys, most homophobia is against male gays. 

Maybe Ampata needs a conscious victim or was scared that the process would awaken her? 

Yeesh.  Checking Wikipedia, I see that Joey "Clayne" Crawford was making his acting debut as Rodney Munson here.  And he did such a good job that he didn't get another film or TV role for another four years.  As I say, yeesh.

Don't worry, Joey, we still love you.  We're irrational that way.

Two questions I wanted to ask since watching the ep for the first time long ago:

1. Were there any... I don't know, museum employees responsible for the safety of the objects and keeping out the Rodney Munsons of the world?

2. Did they have an "open day" 24/7 in that Sunnydale National History Museum? The Scoobs sneaked into it at least twice. If they did it at night and without permission, that was a criminal offence. How could anyone sneak into the freaking museum which has guards and alarm system anyway?

Well, don't forget that

Spoiler

we see the Museum again in Smashed.  Apparently the "security system" is an aged guard named Rusty.

Perhaps Giles, who used to be a curator at "some British museum…or The British Museum", per Willow, has some sort of Curator's Union Pass that allows him on grounds after hours?  But yes, the kids definitely shouldn't be there.  Bad Curator, Giles! Bad!

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 1

And then Giles asking some random exchange student to translate Inca pictographs or whatever. Do they teach picture writing at Peruvian schools?

The scene between The Bodyguard and the Inca Mummy Girl could be a lot more realistic (and thus believable) if they compelled the actors to learn their lines in Quechua (the living language of the Incas), 'cause it's still spoken across the Andes region of South America.

Spoiler

Emma Caulfield and Abraham Benrubi memorized some Swedish words before shooting the scenes between Aud and Olaf in Selfless after all.

Edited by lembergwatcher
13 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Well, don't forget that

Hide contents

we see the Museum again in Smashed.  Apparently the "security system" is an aged guard named Rusty.

Perhaps Giles, who used to be a curator at "some British museum…or The British Museum", per Willow, has some sort of Curator's Union Pass that allows him on grounds after hours?  But yes, the kids definitely shouldn't be there.  Bad Curator, Giles! Bad!

This is Sunnydale, the murder rate is through the roof but everyone leaves their doors open. Again, maybe the Mayor's doing. 

And then Giles asking some random exchange student to translate Inca pictographs or whatever.

That was one of the most cringe-worthy moments in the early seasons. I mean, not Giles, even a high school slacker like Xander should have realised that the average Peruvian doesn't understand Inca pictographs any more than the average American. Talk about contrived stupidity. And then there is the mummy deciding to steal Ampata's identity why exactly and somehow speaking perfect English? The character interaction is pretty great but the plot of this episode leaves a lot to be desired.

Yes, asking Ampata for help with the pictographs is like expecting Xander to translate Anasazi cave paintings because he was raised in the southwest.  Absolute nonsense.

OTOH, they're pretty well-covered on Ampata's speaking English: as she says, she learned from hearing people speaking it around her while the exhibit was on tour in Atlanta and New York and other places.  An immersion course, basically.

As for why she chose Ampata to impersonate, she needed the identity of somebody unknown in the community and she'd heard Buffy say who Ampata was, when he'd be arriving, and that he was only staying for one week.  Make it through seven days and beat feet; sounds like a decent plan to me.

4 hours ago, Jack Shaftoe said:

That was one of the most cringe-worthy moments in the early seasons

Well, regarding season 2, there are at least two moments competing to be the most cringe-worthy in my case. The first one, of course, is 16-years-old "Ampata Gutierrez", the Inca pictographs' expert. 

Spoiler

The second one is Willow going to sleep with no bra, but in full makeup in Lie to Me.

4 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:
Spoiler

The second one is Willow going to sleep with no bra, but in full makeup in Lie to Me.

Spoiler

Well, she's only brushing out her hair, she's still got time for a final bathroom visit before bed.  Or maybe to "double-click the mouse", and then go to the bathroom to wash up, generally.  

Depends what she's found on the 'net lately, I suppose. ;)

Edited by Halting Hex

Joseph Harding didn't have anything so great here as he did in his School Hard review (where he thrilled me by pretty much despising Spike on sight!), but he did point out one thing:

We've been focusing on the question of

On 9/10/2018 at 4:04 PM, lembergwatcher said:

How could anyone sneak into the freaking museum which has guards and alarm system anyway?

and thus we didn't pick up (pun!) on the fact that the gang just leaves Ampata's desiccated remains scattered on the exhibit floor.  I mean, clean up after yourselves, folks!  Giles is going to lose that Curators' Union pass for sure, now.

One might say they're assuming the museum staff will simply think someone vandalized the Inca Princess exhibit…but then the staff will try to put Ampata back into her sarcophagus and discover that it's currently occupied by Mummy!Rodney, complete with orthodontia.  Which will be a big mess.  If ever there was at least cause to imply Buffy and friends hid some evidence in the name of keeping the peace, now would be the time, I'd think.

5 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

I mean, clean up after yourselves, folks!  Giles is going to lose that Curators' Union pass for sure, now.

I'm afraid Giles is going to lose his freedom as well since vandalazing historical artifacts is a criminal offence last time I checked. And the younger Scoobs risk getting a conviction before turning 18.

and thus we didn't pick up (pun!) on the fact that the gang just leaves Ampata's desiccated remains scattered on the exhibit floor.  I mean, clean up after yourselves, folks!  Giles is going to lose that Curators' Union pass for sure, now.

Ugh! This episode was on Comet last night. It was never one of my favorites. It's bad enough that this young girl died in a sacrifice, but then her remains were put on display and ultimately destroyed.

True.  But then most of us will be dust and bones in 500 years, so she had a good run.  Shoddy disposal aside.

I have been wondering what the Guard is all about. After all, he should no longer worry about offending the gods, since clearly Ampata's sacrifice didn't work; the Incas have been out of business for a looooong time.  Pizarro is in the history books, for better or for worse;  look him up.

(Perhaps he's just making sure she doesn't kill people, but he seems more offended about the ritual being violated and her refusing her "duty", IMO.)

But, more importantly, welcome mmecorday!  Is this your first time watching the series?  We do love the unspoiled.  Or are you an old hand, such as I?  (I'm so old my hands could use hand lotion, although they're doing better than Ampata's it's true.)

And I'm thrilled to know that the series is back on TV!  I didn't even know Comet existed, since it's not on DirecTV, but good for them for getting the rights.  (I'm still DirecTV's puppy because of the sports packages, even if the NFL one is the only exclusive these days.  Oh, well.)

I hope they aren't editing the eps too brutally (or at all), but I guess newbies won't know what's missing, anyhow.  Nice double-header tonight (2.05 & 2.06), I see.  Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Halting Hex said:

I hope they aren't editing the eps too brutally

I'm not sure about editing, but they tend to put the commercials in weird spots. For example, there will be the end of a scene, 2 seconds of black screen (where obviously the commercials were expected to air (and did originally)), then continue on and about1-2 minutes later, Comet will put in the commercials, sometimes mid-word (as in "Well, I sup-" here's the commercial. Maybe the character will finish their line ("-pose that it's possible") when we get back.)

But, more importantly, welcome mmecorday!  Is this your first time watching the series?  We do love the unspoiled.  Or are you an old hand, such as I?  (I'm so old my hands could use hand lotion, although they're doing better than Ampata's it's true.)

Thanks, @Halting Hex! I have been a huge Buffy fan since the show's first run. I have even met some of the actors from the show at various sci-fi conventions. I had all the seasons on DVD but they were accidentally dropped off at the Goodwill store when I moved seven years ago. The episodes are available on Hulu too and I've been watching them there too.