Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

AnnaRose

S03.E13 Mo' Money, Mo' Problems

Recommended Posts

Quote

American Housewife

Mo' Money, Mo' Problems (Season 3 | Episode 13)

8:00PM EST | ABC

Katie come to terms with the fact that she must share her work bonus with Greg, and encourages him to live a little; they then decide to splurge on an overnight getaway. Meanwhile, Oliver's attempt at a rebellious streak ends in disaster; and after letting Anna-Kat down, Taylor comes to the realization that she needs to step up and be a better big sister.

Original Airdate: Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Share this post


Link to post

I liked this episode. It was nice to see the kids band together, but I was glad Oliver finally owned up to wrecking the car. I'm glad Katie and Greg at least got to have a nice massage before they had to leave the hotel. And Anna-Kat's Kentucky Derby cracked me up!

Loved Cooper calling Katie and Greg "Mom and Dad", although on the other hand that's a little sad.

  • Love 11

Share this post


Link to post

Can you actually get out of your car when it's still in neutral? I think if I tried that my car would beep and chime and warn me it's still in neutral. I'm not even sure I could take the key out of the ignition unless it's in park (although I'm not keen to test that theory).

I love Copper and his unrealistic life, but yeah MaryMitch, it's a little sad he calls Katie and Greg Mom and Dad. I think they have already established his parents are largely absent from his life. 

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

I love Cooper too.  I think he's my favorite part of this show.  I love how he is privileged and completely clueless as to how average people live, but isn't arrogant or nasty about it.  He's always upbeat and wants to be helpful.  I thought it was also sad that he was so eager to be punished.  Yep, punishment is a form of love, kid, and you're craving it.  "Ohhh Busboyyyy!"

  • Love 12

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Can you actually get out of your car when it's still in neutral? I think if I tried that my car would beep and chime and warn me it's still in neutral. I'm not even sure I could take the key out of the ignition unless it's in park (although I'm not keen to test that theory).

Yeah, I was thinking exactly the same thing. Not sure if it is different if the car has a manual transmission but I haven't driven one of those this century.

Until they came up with the reason for the parents coming home early, I was looking forward to seeing what kind of car Cooper was going to come up with as a replacement for the wrecked car. A Jaguar maybe?

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Can you actually get out of your car when it's still in neutral? I think if I tried that my car would beep and chime and warn me it's still in neutral. I'm not even sure I could take the key out of the ignition unless it's in park (although I'm not keen to test that theory).

I love Copper and his unrealistic life, but yeah MaryMitch, it's a little sad he calls Katie and Greg Mom and Dad. I think they have already established his parents are largely absent from his life. 

Yeah, you really can't do that. Neutral only works if you have the key in the ignition, it's been that way since the 70s. I do laugh at times with Cooper, but other times. He like many of the "privileged rich" of town are so clueless about things. I'm shock they can flush the toilet. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I love Cooper too.  I think he's my favorite part of this show.  I love how he is privileged and completely clueless as to how average people live, but isn't arrogant or nasty about it.  He's always upbeat and wants to be helpful.  I thought it was also sad that he was so eager to be punished.  Yep, punishment is a form of love, kid, and you're craving it.  "Ohhh Busboyyyy!"

Same here.  He's so sweet and genuine.  The actor just nails that role.  Poor Cooper B - so desperate for parental caring - he's like an eager puppy.

I liked this episode, especially all the sibling stuff.

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

It's so annoying because that one line could've made sense if they'd said he forgot to put the parking brake on. It could've rolled from that...not likely since it didn't seem to be a very steep hill...but plausible. All this neutral-or-not-in-park nonsense only makes sense if he left the key in the ignition.

Cooper is so sad and so hilarious simultaneously.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Carmel Cub said:

Yeah, I was thinking exactly the same thing. Not sure if it is different if the car has a manual transmission but I haven't driven one of those this century.

Until they came up with the reason for the parents coming home early, I was looking forward to seeing what kind of car Cooper was going to come up with as a replacement for the wrecked car. A Jaguar maybe?

I thought he was going to get the exact same one.

What I didn't understand was why they didn't Uber to the party.  Even if Oliver doesn't have a debit or credit card to link to an account, Cooper certainly does.  Maybe he's never had to before because of his chauffeur, but kids in Westport uses Uber all the time.  Of course, the point of the story was for Oliver to do something stupid, but still.

Katie not using most of her bonus to pay off bills that they are carrying is just too dumb.  I understand wanting a little luxury, so get a set of nicer sheets, then do something intelligent for once.  Also, why was Greg acting like Katie contemplating buying expensive sheets for their bed totally about her?  He would have benefited, too. It's not like she was buying jewelry or going to a spa by herself.  She should have been fantasy shopping for something that really was completely selfish.

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I thought he was going to get the exact same one.

What I didn't understand was why they didn't Uber to the party.  Even if Oliver doesn't have a debit or credit card to link to an account, Cooper certainly does.  Maybe he's never had to before because of his chauffeur, but kids in Westport uses Uber all the time.  Of course, the point of the story was for Oliver to do something stupid, but still.

Right, hence plot over character and of course how many times does Oliver have to do something "stupid" just like Taylor. I get they are still teens in high school. However, Oliver still acts like his family is the worst thing in the world, yet they get his back and his best friend is so privilege he doesn't even know how the basic functions of a car work. Also, Cooper not having Uber, seriously? That you can't hand wave.

Quote

Katie not using most of her bonus to pay off bills that they are carrying is just too dumb.  I understand wanting a little luxury, so get a set of nicer sheets, then do something intelligent for once.  Also, why was Greg acting like Katie contemplating buying expensive sheets for their bed totally about her?  He would have benefited, too. It's not like she was buying jewelry or going to a spa by herself.  She should have been fantasy shopping for something that really was completely selfish.

The Otto's finances like many sitcoms or dramas are just a joke from one episode to another. Most of season 1, they were acting like they were one moment away from being evicted from the house since it was owned by a woman who's son was a complete moron (I don't miss that character). Then in season 2, Greg is so focused on getting his book published so he can tenure because it meant "stable income". Yet goes and buys a flipping $800 smoker, Katie is eating out all the time and the kids are constantly saying their parents don't have any money to give them. Plus, add in the fact that all that time spent on Spencer and he doesn't leave ONE DAMN THING to anyone. Then when Greg does get tenure they stick him in a broom closet that he HAS to make his new office. Umm... he would still have an office if he wasn't tenure, he is in a damn university and yes, TV show, many professors do work in a cubical even if they are making just around $60K a year with no tenure.

   Then Katie goes and spends money on regular stuff, they aren't the Conners and most people who get a bonus to pay off one MAJOR bill or maybe just two little bills. Saving an extra $100 the next month can go a long way in a family of 3. Yet, oh no Katie is: "Time for shopping!" 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, theatremouse said:

It's so annoying because that one line could've made sense if they'd said he forgot to put the parking brake on. It could've rolled from that...not likely since it didn't seem to be a very steep hill...but plausible. All this neutral-or-not-in-park nonsense only makes sense if he left the key in the ignition.

Cooper is so sad and so hilarious simultaneously.

Maybe it was the parking brake.  After all, the whole "left-in-neutral" explanation is based solely on something said by a teenager who may be too young to drive herself.  Maybe she just didn't know exactly how things work.

The thing about Cooper is that he never seems bitter or resentful about his parents not being there.  It's like he doesn't know that he should be sad about it.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, readster said:

Then Katie goes and spends money on regular stuff, they aren't the Conners and most people who get a bonus to pay off one MAJOR bill or maybe just two little bills. Saving an extra $100 the next month can go a long way in a family of 3. Yet, oh no Katie is: "Time for shopping!" 

And let's not forget the recent episode where Katie wants to be Taylor's friend so they buy matching pairs of overt-the-knee suede boots.  Those had to be $350 per pair, minimum, I'm guessing. (What do I know? I think the most expensive pair of shoes I ever bought cost well under a hundred dollars.) I know it's t.v. and we shouldn't think too hard about it, but sometimes it's so over the top as to be annoying. 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

4 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

And let's not forget the recent episode where Katie wants to be Taylor's friend so they buy matching pairs of overt-the-knee suede boots.  Those had to be $350 per pair, minimum, I'm guessing. (What do I know? I think the most expensive pair of shoes I ever bought cost well under a hundred dollars.) I know it's t.v. and we shouldn't think too hard about it, but sometimes it's so over the top as to be annoying. 

I know, you see these shows and these characters who complain about money are wearing like $300 set of clothes. I remember just last  season when Taylor called Katie going out with her two friends at the cafe all the time and she wasn't working. She was: "Well, I'm an adult." excuse. Or how about when Greg did get the smoker, Katie was: "Why the hell would you buy that?" We NEVER saw him use it. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

While we're grousing, it's not very believable that Katie wouldn't know that she would be charged for items missing from the hotel room, such as the furry pillow, and robes and towels.  She could probably get away with the lemons (maybe?) and the toiletries would be fine to take.  

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎02‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:05 AM, readster said:

most people who get a bonus to pay off one MAJOR bill or maybe just two little bills.

Actually Katie trying to spend it all on something frivolous strikes me as very realistic.  I know a lot of people who would not use a bonus to pay off any bills.  They should, off course, but they often don't.

23 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

And let's not forget the recent episode where Katie wants to be Taylor's friend so they buy matching pairs of overt-the-knee suede boots.  Those had to be $350 per pair, minimum, I'm guessing. (What do I know? I think the most expensive pair of shoes I ever bought cost well under a hundred dollars.) I know it's t.v. and we shouldn't think too hard about it, but sometimes it's so over the top as to be annoying. 

So people never act irresponsibly when it comes to money?  Believe me, people spend bill money on shoes sometimes.  Some of them do it all the time.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

Oliver wanted to do something "bad". Taking an uber is not in that category. And no way Cooper doesn't have a chauffeur, but he's having fun "slumming" with the Oliver; that's his rebellion. That's my handwave for this episode.

I liked that Katie's friends shut her down on not sharing the bonus with Greg.

I like how AnnaKat called her horserace. I wouldn't enjoy playing horses with her, but I enjoyed hearing her do the call.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

And no way Cooper doesn't have a chauffeur, but he's having fun "slumming" with the Oliver; that's his rebellion.

He does have a chauffeur. That part doesn't need handwaving. Cooper was on the phone with the chauffeur and explained that he couldn't come. That's what triggered Oliver's "I'll do something bad" moment.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/21/2019 at 12:04 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Also, why was Greg acting like Katie contemplating buying expensive sheets for their bed totally about her?  He would have benefited, too. It's not like she was buying jewelry or going to a spa by herself.

Think about it this way though. Greg buying an $800 smoker benefits the family because they would all eat the food he cooks on it but I doubt Katie or the kids would notice or taste a difference that an $800 smoker would make as compared to preparing the food some other way. So even though Greg would get to sleep on the new sheets, I don't think he would feel or care about it enough to get the benefit of it.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:07 PM, Cowgirl said:

While we're grousing, it's not very believable that Katie wouldn't know that she would be charged for items missing from the hotel room, such as the furry pillow, and robes and towels.  She could probably get away with the lemons (maybe?) and the toiletries would be fine to take.  

Do they charge you if you take that stuff? I've seen that on TV shows and movies before and have wondered if they really do expect people to take that stuff so it's factored into the room cost or if you're not really supposed to take it and they charge you for it.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I read the fine print when I check in (not that I have ever stayed in many fancy hotels) but even at the Super Eight they have the warning on the sheet you sign when you check in, that you will be charged for items taken from the room, such as robes, linens, pillows, remote controls and I don't know what else.  You aren't charged for toiletries. When I took a cruise last year there was a notice in my cabin that, if you took the robe they provided you would be charged "X" amount of money.  They provided travel slippers too, but I can't remember if they said I would be charged if I took those.  I had zero extra room in my luggage, so I left mine.  

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Do they charge you if you take that stuff? I've seen that on TV shows and movies before and have wondered if they really do expect people to take that stuff so it's factored into the room cost or if you're not really supposed to take it and they charge you for it.

Decades ago, people would walk off with stuff and not necessarily be charged (and it may or may not have been assumed to be factored into the room price at the time). But hotels got wise to that/the frequency went up waaaaaay too much to cover that way, and most things like robes, towels, pillows, etc now have a specific price associated with it that will be added to the bill if the item is no longer in the room after you check out. Some literally have a tag that say "love this robe? Take it with you for $X" so people know they can buy it by taking it with them. So the scene as written sort of read like a stereotype from at least 50 years ago that sitcoms for some reason have never caught up to. It's bad writing.

  • Love 4
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/25/2019 at 7:30 PM, theatremouse said:

 So the scene as written sort of read like a stereotype from at least 50 years ago that sitcoms for some reason have never caught up to. It's bad writing.

Oh I agree, the joke doesn't work anymore. Now, if they would have been: "Remember back in the day when you could take things from a hotel and no one noticed?" "I miss those days, but hey, free soap!" 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size