Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: We're Gonna Need a Spotlight

• Start Topic

When Alaric decides to postpone the school's annual talent show, Lizzie and Josie are determined to make sure the show goes on. Meanwhile, tensions arise when the students face a creature that lowers their inhibitions. Lastly, Alaric decides to play hooky with Emma.

Promo:

Original air date: 2/21/19

Pretty alright episode... I wanted to run and hide when I figured out Raf had been infected and was doing a poem... Josie's song was nice.. As was kaleb and the vampires.. Lol at them doing a sit-in( not sure for what)  once they had their brains back.. Boo to the show making Dorian part of the Emma/Alaric dance.. Not cool show... I guess according to the show high school girls turn into weepy messes if you sing saccharine acoustic guitar  drivel... Shout-out to humble brag Landon " horrible singing voice "Kirby.. I loved how the chaos at the school could be boiled down to.. How come it didn't happen to me.. And he really jumped at the obvious bullsh*t out Raf gave him when he asked about the poem.. "Oh it was mind control eventho everyone else is expressing some innermost  feelings.. And its obviously got you confused and hurting... But you say your fine so ima keep on keeping on dating this girl your feeling... Thanks bro"

• Love 3

I was cracking up at the idea that this talent show happens EVERY year yet everyone waited until the day of to decide what they were going to do (except the witches who do the same damn routine every year because Lizzie is a strict yet boring dictator).

Alaric singing "I've Had the Time of My Life" while wearing a rainbow feather boa, a plastic crown, and star shaped sunglasses made my night.

Kaleb and Emma were my favorite singers of the night though. I'm glad this episode gave the cast members the opportunity to show off their singing and dancing in a believable way (unlike many musical episodes of tv shows).

I also laughed when Emma said that living in a small town limits how many places you can drink (after Alaric said he liked the first three bars they'd been to) because on TVD, the only places anyone drank in Mystic Falls were the Grill, parties at the Lockwood estate, and the graveyard. Well, and the Salvatore mansion (which must have had boxes full of glasses to replace all the ones that Damon threw into the fireplace).

High five to whoever wrote the line that Caroline gave to the girls about being airy clouds because it sounded exactly like something that Caroline would say.

I loved the non-emo version of Hope so I hope we get more of that.

I didn't get Lizzie coming to the conclusion that since they won the talent show, she was going to go back to being a total bitch. They won because she relinquished her iron tight grip on the witches and her insistene on doing the same damn routine long enough to listen to Josie and do something new. How does that support her argument that being a bitch is the way to go?

As much as I loved Rent in my youth, I had to laugh when Alaric complained about hearing Seasons of Love every damn year.

I'm torn on Emma dating Dorian. On the one hand, I was relieved when the guy she recently started seeing was Dorian because I was afraid it was going to turn out that she was dating some secretly evil guy who was using her for nefarious purposes. On the other hand, do we really need another love triangle on this show? I don't necessarily want to see Alaric and Emma date (although I would enjoy knowing that it would probably make Caroline's head explode with annoyance and result in one of those "you can date whoever you want as long as it isn't someone at the school or someone I know or someone I might have met once or might meet in the future" conversations).

So why didn't the slug pop out of Alaric when he shocked himself? Did he get the invincible head slug? Or is he being mind controlled by something else?

Honestly, aside from obsessing about the urn, I liked the effect that the slugs had on everyone!

• Love 4

No slug popped out of Alaric because he wasn’t infected when he shocked himself. At the bar, he was just being himself. Kind of like Lizzie, trying to be a lighter version by choice. However, later at the end of the episode, after everyone else was disinfected he DRANK a slug (gag) and then became infected. And funny, he was actually more mopey when infected which is probably another reason he was caught off guard. 

• Love 1

I love the implication that Alaric cancelled the talent show partially because of safety concerns, but mostly because he literally cannot listen to high schoolers butchering Seasons of Love for the hundredth freaking time! That was hilarious, and so true at high school talent shows.

Fun episode, I feel bad, because I kind of liked seeing the high versions of everyone. Maybe if they had more fun times, there would be more singing and less angsting. I mean, with the amount of love triangles at this point, we have passed triangles and gotten into some kind of love quadrangle. I was pretty impressed by the singing and dancing skills of the cast, they did quite well! They even found a way for Karen David to show her stuff! And Landon's horror when he realized Raf was about to do spoken word poetry 🙂 

Those slugs were super gross, no thank you! Poor unicorn though, I wish it could have survived and stayed around. He could be the schools mascot! Although, its apparent Hope never watched Legends of Tomorrow, or she would know that unicorns can be scary beasts, even if this one wasnt. 

I like non emo Hope, can she stick around, even without the slugs? She and Landon were actually quite cute, it sucks that the inevitable love triangle will be rearing its ugly head again. 

So when do Josie and Penelope finally get back together? I think that Penelope cheated on her before (do I remember that right?) but she is clearly still into her, and Josie isnt over her either. And Lizzie is an awesome sister, thank you very much!

So they didn't even wait to kill Emma off to screw Alaric up - again. Damn Julie, if I remember correctly, she said that there will be no love triangles in Legacies before the start of the series. And right now, she's giving us like 3 of them - Alaric, Dorian, Emma; Hope, Landon, Rafael; Lizzie, Josie, Rafael (considering the twins still have feelings for him, but I personally think they don't). 

I'm probably the most anti-Posie fan in the world and I skipped both of their kisses on 1x06 and 1x11, but Raf's sudden interest in Hope and jealousy towards Landon makes me think that he should just be the lonely wolf of the series. One thing's for sure - Julie totally messed up the pairings this time and I'm not going to be paying lots of attention to any of them. 

And last, but not least - Lizzie's character is getting much better with every episode and I'm really falling for her. I liked her in the beginning, I liked her being "bitch", but she's even more like-able now. I wish the twins had a bigger role on this show, they're much more funny than emo Hope. 

Edited by Josie means Love
  • Love 1
On 2/23/2019 at 3:32 AM, AnimeMania said:

I am surprised the Unicorn didn't draw a big crowd of girls wanting to see it. It played little to no part at all in the story.

At least they stayed away from the unicorns/virgin girls trope that way.

I felt like the story was cut back to give screen time to the performances, and as a result there were missed character development opportunities on the "lowered inhibitions" front. And what did happen there was primarily to foster the love triangles ugh.

So I guess the brain slugs are real again now, because they successfully got the urn? That's how it works, right? So watch out. Sadly, since the unicorn was just a hapless vector, I think those are still just mythical/forgotten.

• Love 1

* Why didn’t the Vampires win the Talent Show? So what if they protested, their first ‘run’ was superior to the Witches runs.

* Landon’s singing voice is bad. Hope is so moved because he wrote a song about her and his relationship with her.

* Lizzie’s ‘getting better’. My favorite characters so far are Hope, Ric, and Lizzie. Lizzie is moving up to challenge Ric.

Lizzie had somewhat of a point regarding her ‘faux niceness’. Hope was acting much ‘weirder’ and much more ‘out of character’, yet the students were simply ‘enjoying’ the ‘new Hope’ while considering Lizzie was ‘acting weird’. Only Raf seemed to consider there something ‘off’ with Hope.

Raf’s seeming to know Hope better than Landon does trumps Landon’s signing a prepared song for Hope.

* There’s ‘pals before gals’, but Landon acted with Raf as if Landon has some kind of ‘ownership’ of Hope and yet Landon is so insecure of that ‘ownership’ that he doesn’t want Raf expressing any interest in Hope.

* One of the actual problems with Legacies so far is that no other guy has pursued Hope. Landon’s like one of the biggest losers at school; he’s not even ‘cool’ by association with Hope and Raf. Now that Hope’s dating, why wouldn’t other guys pursue Hope?

• Love 3
On 3/27/2019 at 1:42 PM, beeemkcl said:

* Why didn’t the Vampires win the Talent Show? So what if they protested, their first ‘run’ was superior to the Witches runs.

* Landon’s singing voice is bad. Hope is so moved because he wrote a song about her and his relationship with her.

* Lizzie’s ‘getting better’. My favorite characters so far are Hope, Ric, and Lizzie. Lizzie is moving up to challenge Ric.

Lizzie had somewhat of a point regarding her ‘faux niceness’. Hope was acting much ‘weirder’ and much more ‘out of character’, yet the students were simply ‘enjoying’ the ‘new Hope’ while considering Lizzie was ‘acting weird’. Only Raf seemed to consider there something ‘off’ with Hope.

Raf’s seeming to know Hope better than Landon does trumps Landon’s signing a prepared song for Hope.

* There’s ‘pals before gals’, but Landon acted with Raf as if Landon has some kind of ‘ownership’ of Hope and yet Landon is so insecure of that ‘ownership’ that he doesn’t want Raf expressing any interest in Hope.

* One of the actual problems with Legacies so far is that no other guy has pursued Hope. Landon’s like one of the biggest losers at school; he’s not even ‘cool’ by association with Hope and Raf. Now that Hope’s dating, why wouldn’t other guys pursue Hope?

Landon is the Mary Sue/Harry Potter. 

Somewhat more serious observation. Hope is the Superman, but for the other people to solve tasks, Professor X has the whole manor full of witches and supers. How about asking some of the other seniors if they want an adventure