Type keyword(s) to search

Series 12 Production News, Spoilers, Speculation Discussion

DanaK
  • Start Topic

More articles and interviews on the special

Radio Times: Mandip says there’s more to come about Yaz’s mental health struggles https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-11-30/doctor-who-yaz-mental-health-series-13/

Doctor Who Page tweet

BBC media release with Q&A of Chibnall and the cast. They make it official that Brad and Tosin are leaving https://www.bbc.com/mediacentre/mediapacks/revolution-of-the-daleks

My take on how Graham and Ryan leave is that neither die like I’ve seen some speculate. I think they’ve readjusted to life on Earth after they separate from the Doctor and they decide not to travel with her anymore. The goodbyes will be very sad

Edited by DanaK

How can you fight a Dalek without the Doctor?

Did anyone else read this and think of “The Stolen Earth”?  And maybe also wonder if the copy writer did not or think fans have short memories?

Ten did show up, as Thirteen inevitably will here too, but Jack and Torchwood, Rose, Jackie, Mickey, Martha, Sara Jane and Harriet Jones were putting up a good fight without knowing if or when Ten would appear.  I doubt they will call back to that time.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Actually I love the idea of a pregnant Doctor?

Now that would be a can of worms. I can't imagine the show ever going there. I can already picture the outcry and am quailing just at the thought of it. Fandom is divided enough as it is!

(I do kind of love the idea of definitively putting the whole looms controversy to bed, though)

More seriously, I doubt they'll write Jack's relationship with the Doctor much differently here than it ever was.

On 12/2/2020 at 8:45 PM, elle said:

How can you fight a Dalek without the Doctor?

Did anyone else read this and think of “The Stolen Earth”?  And maybe also wonder if the copy writer did not or think fans have short memories?

Ten did show up, as Thirteen inevitably will here too, but Jack and Torchwood, Rose, Jackie, Mickey, Martha, Sara Jane and Harriet Jones were putting up a good fight without knowing if or when Ten would appear.  I doubt they will call back to that time.

This particular bunch of companions has no way of knowing what that group of individuals did to fend off the Daleks that time, nor any access to the resources they had, so it shouldn't come up. Except that Jack was there, so he'd remember. But I'm guessing it was a long, long time ago for him. His circumstances have changed a lot, so he too probably doesn't have the contacts and resources he once had. Well, I daresay we'll find out soon enough!

What I do (and don't) want from Revolution of the Daleks;

Retcon the retcon, bring back the Timelords and establish the revelations of the last season were some form of illusion, all the other Doctors as the unwitting pawns of someone else's nefarious scheme. 

Goodbye to Doctor 13 and her 'fam'. This was an experiment that didn't work. The only ep of her term I have ever watched twice is The Witchfinders and that was because of Alan Cumming's superb performance. 

Ditch the PC nonsense. Have Chris Noth's Donald Trump avatar end up saving the world. Have big pharma being the heroes of it all. Have the Doctor be saved by being swept up by a knight on his charger. Dare to be different. 

• Love 2
On 12/2/2020 at 6:53 AM, DanaK said:

Per an interview in Radio Times, the special, which was filmed in late 2019, will not reference the pandemic, but Chibnall considered adding some references via pickup shots before deciding against it. 

Thank goodness he decided against it.  TV is my escape from the hellscape that is 2020.  I don't need Doctor Who to be contaminated with it.  In about 30 years, some future 28th Doctor can deal with it in a historical episode.  Other than that, I prefer if their universe doesn't actually reflect mine.  

22 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

Actually I love the idea of a pregnant Doctor?

I think it would be awful.  Like bad fanfic, jump-the-shark, it-was-all-a-dream, snowglobe awful.  But I feel that way about roughly three-quarters of Thirteen's storylines, anyway.

On 11/30/2020 at 6:54 PM, DanaK said:

My take on how Graham and Ryan leave is that neither die like I’ve seen some speculate. I think they’ve readjusted to life on Earth after they separate from the Doctor and they decide not to travel with her anymore. The goodbyes will be very sad

I hope neither die.  Though I can't really imagine their goodbyes being sad as long as they don't die, because in spite of the "fam" references, this team never felt like family (other than Graham and Ryan bonding a bit, and presumably they'll still see each other if they stay behind).  That was the problem with "the fam" - it was all tell, no show.  And now we're back to the Doctor traveling around with a cute spunky young woman from present-day Earth and while that formula generally works, I feel like it's already been done better in previous seasons. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Llywela said:

This particular bunch of companions has no way of knowing what that group of individuals did to fend off the Daleks that time, nor any access to the resources they had, so it shouldn't come up. Except that Jack was there, so he'd remember. But I'm guessing it was a long, long time ago for him. His circumstances have changed a lot, so he too probably doesn't have the contacts and resources he once had. Well, I daresay we'll find out soon enough!

I found the tag line annoying because it felt to me that it suggests a scenario that we, the audience, have not seen before.  Now if it is a quote from one of the trio, then it would make sense because they have never had this experience.  Once they meet up with Jack, he might have a few pointers.  

I also find it tedious that once again someone has thought “oh, let’s use this tech that tried to kill us to be our defense system”.  Or at least that the impression I got from the clip.  I realize that what happened in WWII in this universe is probably still classified.  I guess it is the equivalent to what is supposed to be happening at Area 51.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

What I do (and don't) want from Revolution of the Daleks;

Retcon the retcon, bring back the Timelords and establish the revelations of the last season were some form of illusion, all the other Doctors as the unwitting pawns of someone else's nefarious scheme. 

Goodbye to Doctor 13 and her 'fam'. This was an experiment that didn't work. The only ep of her term I have ever watched twice is The Witchfinders and that was because of Alan Cumming's superb performance.

So much this!!! 

• Love 1

From Radio Times special issue on the upcoming special Revolution of the Daleks, producers Chibnall and Strevins talk about the changed Dalek design and how Revolution is a sequel to Resolution  https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-12-05/doctor-who-chris-chibnall-daleks-big-rt-interview/

Cultbox analyzes several new promo images, some posted above, and director Lee Haven Jones talks about the Doctor’s time in prison https://cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/doctor-who-revolution-of-the-daleks-new-photos-released

An item to note in case people miss it: Chibnall said in interviews that John Barrowman was set for the special first, then they seeded him in to Fugitive of the Judoon to throw people of and maybe for fun as well. I recall fans were upset that they brought Capt. Jack back after so long for a glorified cameo, which makes me laugh now

I put this in the Series 13 thread as well, but show runner Chris Chibnall talked to US publication Entertainment Weekly about the upcoming special as well as Series 13 (not any real spoilers there) https://ew.com/tv/doctor-who-holiday-special-jodie-whittaker-chris-chibnall/

Edited to add: John Barrowman was on The One Show earlier today and said about his meeting 13: "You see in his face and in her face the love that they have for each other and the friendship that they have" as shown in the excerpt tweeted below

Edited by DanaK

Who bosses Chris Chibnall and Matt Strevens talk to Radio Times about the new Dalek designs in the special https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/scifi/2020-12-21/doctor-who-new-dalek-design-guide/

ETA: Also, new promo picture

3 minutes ago, Llywela said:

Well, I won't get to see the episode until Sunday at least, so maybe I'll check out the reaction here first, so I know what to expect!

Heh, well since I see the episode Friday night at 8pm ET on BBC America, I'm planning to go into another personal social media blackout Friday morning (and for at least one forum Thursday) so I don't see spoilers from the UK (or in the moment tweets from the US) because I'm sure there will be a few surprises and emotional beats I want to see for myself before reading about it. I've done it before for many of Series 12's episodes and it seems to work well for me. But not seeing it until Sunday would be too long to wait so I can understand why you would read reactions first

1 hour ago, DanaK said:

Heh, well since I see the episode Friday night at 8pm ET on BBC America, I'm planning to go into another personal social media blackout Friday morning (and for at least one forum Thursday) so I don't see spoilers from the UK (or in the moment tweets from the US) because I'm sure there will be a few surprises and emotional beats I want to see for myself before reading about it. I've done it before for many of Series 12's episodes and it seems to work well for me. But not seeing it until Sunday would be too long to wait so I can understand why you would read reactions first

The episode doesn't air until Friday evening, so you should be fine for spoilers before that. But me, I have a 5-year-old here Friday evening until Sunday, so for sure won't be able to watch until then (soon, soon she will be old enough to watch with me, but she has not yet been bitten by the Doctor Who bug...)

• Love 1