Type keyword(s) to search

Series 12 Production News, Spoilers, Speculation Discussion

DanaK
  • Start Topic

It appears Series 12 filming has officially wrapped

I keep seeing hints and people saying that Series 12 will premiere in early Jan, though it’s not clear if there will be an episode on New Years Day

There are signs from holiday listings and fans supposedly in the know saying the first episode of Series 12 will be on Jan 1, New Year's Day, then on Sundays after that. More details to come soon I hope

• Love 2

Sundays again? If it's on after Christmas, there is really no good reason not to revert back to Saturday, which has always been Who's traditional home. I thought the switch to Sunday was because of the move to the autumn schedule, where Strictly Come Dancing's itinerant scheduling had previously proved a problem for Who. Strictly ends at Christmas, so wouldn't be a problem for Who in January.

Unless there are other reasons to prefer a Sunday slot? But I don't think the move to Sunday did the show any favours last season, so it would be a shame to see it there again.

• Love 1

That’s Nov 23 for the date-challenged, which is also the 56th(?) anniversary of when the show premiered I believe. The YouTube title is Series 12, so it’s likely a trailer

• Love 2

Take with a grain of salt until we hear from official sources, but I’m hearing the first two episodes will be a two-parter and supposedly pretty epic. The first episode is set to be shown on New Year’s Day. It’s not clear if the regular schedule will be Saturday or Sunday

Take with a grain of salt until we see it or hear officially, but I want to share some things I’m hearing:

- there supposedly is a Victorian-era episode set in New York City with Team Tardis in Victorian clothes, including the Doctor

- reportedly higher stakes for Series 12 and more action-packed and scarier. One of the team is captured and almost dies in an episode

- Yaz’s mom is in an episode. Kate Stewart will reportedly be in the premiere

- the trailer on Saturday will reportedly be for the full series not just the premiere

- there will reportedly be a Mary Shelley/Cybermen episode

Edited by DanaK

I'm a little bit disappointed about Lenny Henry just because it was my dream to have him play the doctor at some point, and now obviously that's not happening any more. 

For everyone who doesn't know who he is, he's a British comedian who's been around for ages. He set up the Comic Relief (Red Nose Day) charity with Richard Curtis, which I think now has an American faction, but we see him on tv at least every other year because of that. He's an interesting guy because one of his first ever gigs was on a The Black and White Minstrel Show, where he was the black kid who did impressions of white people. He's done a bunch of sketch shows, and some more serious acting (Othello on Broadway at one point) as well as stand up. I think he's amazing, and defintely one of the people that I look up to on a personal level. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, doesntworkonwood said:

I'm a little bit disappointed about Lenny Henry just because it was my dream to have him play the doctor at some point, and now obviously that's not happening any more. 

For everyone who doesn't know who he is, he's a British comedian who's been around for ages. </snip>

I believe Henry also was on Broadchurch, in the 3rd? season maybe as a guy named Ed

Also, Peter Capaldi is a good example of not writing someone off as a future Doctor or other major role just because they played a guest role at some point (Karen Gilliam as well)

FYI, as reported previously, the cast and crew were given honorary doctorates from Sheffield Hallam University, and showrunner Chris Chibnall, producer Matt Strevens, and cast member Mandip Gill were among those who received them for the show yesterday and held a Q&A. Someone on Twitter said they went and Chris said a couple of things at least:

1. "Someone asked about Daleks, Chris said 'don't get your hopes up this season...but we have the Judoon!' He looked at Matt briefly and then said 'AND CYBERMEN'"

They were filming the last episode that appeared to include Daleks which suggests that episode won't be part of Series 12 proper. There seem to be a lot of suggestions that that particular episode will be shown for Christmas in 2020 or around there, but it's all a big unknown

2. "Also said 'Episode One will be the biggest episode in the show's history, and we will soon learn why.'"

• Love 2
3 hours ago, doesntworkonwood said:

For everyone who doesn't know who he is, he's a British comedian who's been around for ages. He set up the Comic Relief (Red Nose Day) charity with Richard Curtis, which I think now has an American faction, but we see him on tv at least every other year because of that. He's an interesting guy because one of his first ever gigs was on a The Black and White Minstrel Show, where he was the black kid who did impressions of white people. He's done a bunch of sketch shows, and some more serious acting (Othello on Broadway at one point) as well as stand up. I think he's amazing, and defintely one of the people that I look up to on a personal level. 

Agreed, Lenny Henry is great - mostly known as a comedian, but when he does straight dramatic acting, he can be tremendous. I look forward to seeing what they've cooked up for him here!

Also, yeah, agree, he'd have made an excellent Doctor himself (although don't give up yet, Capaldi had a guest role before he was the Doctor and so did Colin Baker!)

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-11-21/doctor-who-series-13-happening/

Showrunner Chibnall talks to RadioTimes about Series 12, the dopey Internet rumors, and that they were starting work on Series 13 (probably preproduction like last November for Series 12)

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a29874791/doctor-who-series-12-different-old-episodes/?utm_campaign=TVTWitterpost&utm_medium=social&utm_content=socialflow&utm_source=twitter.com

More from Chris and Jodie

More from Chris and Jodie from Den of Geek https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/68681/doctor-who-chibnall-aimed-to-go-up-a-level-for-series-12

Also of note, where Chibnall talked about working on Series 13, people are interpreting that as Jodie is officially back for Series 13, though I’m not seeing him saying that

Alleged title of Episode 1: Fall of the Regime

The cast talked in their September press briefing about a terrifying Series 12 monster that can go through walls https://cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/doctor-who-crew-talks-of-monster-that-can-pass-through-walls

How the Tardis has changed for Series 12 https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/68677/how-the-tardis-has-changed-for-doctor-who-series-12

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-11-22/doctor-who-series-12-goran-visnjic-robert-glenister/

Two more guest stars announced, Goran Visnjic and Robert Glenister (previously appeared in 1984 Who story Caves Of Androzani)

14 hours ago, DanaK said:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-11-22/doctor-who-series-12-goran-visnjic-robert-glenister/

Two more guest stars announced, Goran Visnjic and Robert Glenister (previously appeared in 1984 Who story Caves Of Androzani)

Salateen!

Oh, and Goran Visnjic is also always good value for money. They've got some great guest stars coming up - I just hope the writing is up to snuff this time round!

27 minutes ago, Glendenning said:

Lenny Henry played an alternate Seventh Doctor in a Doctor Who parody sketch in the Eighties.

LOL I'd forgotten that. Yes. It was a sketch on his comedy show, the Lenny Henry Show.

2 hours ago, starri said:

Is that a Racnoss?

From what I’ve read, no. Reportedly, she’s the queen of an alien race called the Skithra, unless that’s her name

The run time for the episodes will reportedly be 65 minutes for the first episode and 50 minutes for the other 9

That looks great. I'm excited. I enjoyed series 11 and am looking forward to series 12. 

I didn't mind not having familiar villains last time but am excited to see some this time. The Judoon and Cybermen. 

• Love 1

More take with a grain of salt spoilers until we hear it officially: 

Some more guest stars that I'm hearing about:

Craig Parkinson, Gwyneth Keyworth, and Will Austin

I don't know the above three I don't think, but another one I'm hearing is Sean Bean and I totally know who he is.

There appears to be two Time Lords this season. I think it's the Judoon episode where they hunt a renegade female Time Lord named Ruth. The other is here and there throughout the season, that's all I'll say for now

17 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

That looks great. I'm excited. I enjoyed series 11 and am looking forward to series 12. 

I didn't mind not having familiar villains last time but am excited to see some this time. The Judoon and Cybermen. 

I too loved Series 11 and totally look forward to Series 12.

I don't understand the criticism that Series 11 was bad because it didn't have arcs, two-parters, or returning monsters. Surely people could manage without all that for one season? It's like they felt their security blankets were taken away or something. I think Chibnall felt that simplifying things for his first series would welcome old fans back and entice new fans and I think he was right about that, plus they were a new team and probably wanted to get settled in and are now taking things up several notches with their second season

I really love the response from the fans and the media on the S12 trailer. It's been mostly overwhelmingly positive, though there seems to be a tiny minority that hates it or thinks it's meh. And the media seems to have covered it and the 56th anniversary pretty well. The only real fly in the ointment was BBC America not having a Doctor Who marathon yesterday instead of the Saturday marathon nature programming they've committed to

• Love 4

They are never going to be able to please everyone. I'm one that gave up on the series during Matt Smith's run and came back last year to see Jodie. Tennant's run is still my favorite but I like what Jodie is bringing to the Doctor. She's likes to build things more than the other Doctors and I like that difference. 

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

They are never going to be able to please everyone.

This. It was the Clara era that finally made me turn off. We all have our preferences and we all  have our breaking points, but the great thing about Doctor Who is that taken as a whole - 56 years and counting! - there really is something for everyone.

Me, I thought season 11 was lightweight, on the whole, and seemed to be pitched a bit younger than usual, but although I'd have preferred a bit more depth, I did enjoy the characters and concepts, and really appreciated the sunny nature of the 13th Doctor, which I felt was a real breath of fresh air after successive regenerations that have seemed perpetually soaked in angst. I hope that the lessons of season 11 have been learned by this new writing team, and look forward to seeing what they have in store for us next!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Tennant's run is still my favorite but I like what Jodie is bringing to the Doctor. She's likes to build things more than the other Doctors and I like that difference. 

I like the building stuff too, though to be fair they have all liked to tinker.

One of my favorite TV memories is Tessa welding while working on her art in first season Highlander. So the Doctor fits right in.  (I'm more bookish than most but power tools are fun. I've never welded though. It's on my to-do list.)

• Love 1

In America, AMC’s Walking Dead aftershow The Talking Dead showed the Doctor Who Series 12 trailer about 43 minutes in to tonight’s show. Pretty cool. You might be able to catch repeats if there are any

• Useful 1

According to the actress’s CV, Yaz’s sister will be in an episode directed by Jamie Stone

Based on what I’ve heard around so far and the trailer, I’ve put together a document of the basic plot/alien/threat of most of the episodes, though episode order is not certain in some cases. I’ll try to share it sometime this week

British actress Nasreen Hussain will be a guest in Series 12, announced by her talent agency and the actress herself on Twitter. I have no idea who she is

So as I said before I've pieced together various spoilers and trailer info into a document to try to get a sense on what's happening in which episode to pass the time before official announcements are made. Just to caution, episode order could change some. Just some basic stuff for now:

Episode 1: Spy caper. Supposed threat is Cyborgs (different from Cybermen). As trailer shows/assumes, Stephen Fry and Lenny Henry guest, Team Tardis in tuxes. Supposedly written by Chris Chibnall and directed by Jamie Stone. Supposed to premiere New Year's Day

Episode 2: WWII Paris, 1943. This may be the one that includes British Muslim spy Noor Inayat Khan. Supposed to be a loose tie-in with Episode 1, though likely just Team Tardis landing here after 1st episode, because trailer shows Doctor is still in her tux. Supposedly directed by Lee Haven Jones, writer possibly Maxine Alderton

Episode 3: Little is known, may involve monster in a tunnel. Supposedly written by Ed Hime and directed by Lee Haven Jones

Episode 4: Victorian-era story set in New York City involving Florence Nightingale. Team Tardis in Victorian clothes. Supposedly involves alien Queen named Skithra or Queen of Skithra race that is scorpion-like creatures. Goran Visnjic, supposedly playing Tesla, Maxim Baldry reportedly plays John Polidori. Writer possibly Nina Métivier/Director unknown

Episode 5: Sea Devils/maybe plastic waste issue. Supposedly directed by Jamie Stone, writer possibly Charlene Jones. May be the episode that we see from the trailer where the Doctor runs on the beach towards a body in the water

Episode 6: Judoon episode. Possibly includes a Time Lord on the lam named Ruth. Possibly written by Pete McTighe or Chris Chibnall, director unknown

Episode 7: Base-under-siege story, with a scary creature that can go through walls. Might be the episode seen in the trailer where something is trying to get into the Tardis. Possibly directed by Emma Sullivan, writer might be Pete McTighe if he didn't do Episode 6

Episode 8: Mary Shelley/Cyberman story, early 1800s. Supposedly where companion captured and nearly killed/upgraded. Possibly directed by Emma Sullivan, writer might be Vinay Patel

Episode 9: unknown plot. Possibly written by Chris Chibnall

Episode 10: Finale. Unknown plot. Possibly two-parter with 9 but uncertain. Possibly written by Chris Chibnall and directed by Jamie Stone

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

So as I said before I've pieced together various spoilers and trailer info into a document to try to get a sense on what's happening in which episode to pass the time before official announcements are made. Just to caution, episode order could change some. Just some basic stuff for now:

Episode 1: Spy caper. Supposed threat is Cyborgs (different from Cybermen). As trailer shows/assumes, Stephen Fry and Lenny Henry guest, Team Tardis in tuxes. Supposedly written by Chris Chibnall and directed by Jamie Stone. Supposed to premiere New Year's Day

Episode 2: WWII Paris, 1943. This may be the one that includes British Muslim spy Noor Inayat Khan. Supposed to be a loose tie-in with Episode 1, though likely just Team Tardis landing here after 1st episode, because trailer shows Doctor is still in her tux. Supposedly directed by Lee Haven Jones, writer possibly Maxine Alderton

Episode 3: Little is known, may involve monster in a tunnel. Supposedly written by Ed Hime and directed by Lee Haven Jones

Episode 4: Victorian-era story set in New York City involving Florence Nightingale. Team Tardis in Victorian clothes. Supposedly involves alien Queen named Skithra or Queen of Skithra race that is scorpion-like creatures. Goran Visnjic, supposedly playing Tesla, Maxim Baldry reportedly plays John Polidori. Writer possibly Nina Métivier/Director unknown

Episode 5: Sea Devils/maybe plastic waste issue. Supposedly directed by Jamie Stone, writer possibly Charlene Jones. May be the episode that we see from the trailer where the Doctor runs on the beach towards a body in the water

Episode 6: Judoon episode. Possibly includes a Time Lord on the lam named Ruth. Possibly written by Pete McTighe or Chris Chibnall, director unknown

Episode 7: Base-under-siege story, with a scary creature that can go through walls. Might be the episode seen in the trailer where something is trying to get into the Tardis. Possibly directed by Emma Sullivan, writer might be Pete McTighe if he didn't do Episode 6

Episode 8: Mary Shelley/Cyberman story, early 1800s. Supposedly where companion captured and nearly killed/upgraded. Possibly directed by Emma Sullivan, writer might be Vinay Patel

Episode 9: unknown plot. Possibly written by Chris Chibnall

Episode 10: Finale. Unknown plot. Possibly two-parter with 9 but uncertain. Possibly written by Chris Chibnall and directed by Jamie Stone

I'm one of those who didn't like S11 overall, but I've got to admit some of these episode descriptions sound really interesting.  Between the trailer and those descriptions, I'm feeling optimistic about S12.

12 minutes ago, ElleryAnne said:

I'm one of those who didn't like S11 overall, but I've got to admit some of these episode descriptions sound really interesting.  Between the trailer and those descriptions, I'm feeling optimistic about S12.

I'm totally looking forward to Series 12. As a newcomer to Who, I loved Series 11, even some of the weaker episodes, but I know and acknowledge there was room for improvement. From the stuff I've read so far, it appears things are being taken up a few levels in 12 and I'm here for it

• Love 1

Posted by someone on Twitter https://mobile.twitter.com/universeofwho/status/1200445324906696705

"Just got the new SFX through the door with a Doctor Who article inside. Producer Nikki Wilson confirms there will be "Several two parters" and "More of a serial arc" which is great to hear."

The Chibnall interview has not been scanned because the original person who scanned it didn't want to cut into RadioTimes's sales. Apparently didn't say anything new for anyone who's already heard spoilers

ETA: Someone did end up scanning it

BBC press release https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/dw-spyfall?ns_campaign=bbc_press_office&ns_linkname=corporate&ns_source=twitter&ns_mchannel=social

First episode New Year’s Day, title Spyfall. Subsequent episodes on Sundays. Time TBA

BBC press release https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/dw-spyfall?ns_campaign=bbc_press_office&ns_linkname=corporate&ns_source=twitter&ns_mchannel=social

First episode New Year’s Day, title Spyfall. Subsequent episodes on Sundays. Time TBA

Also, new trailer

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1201516374209765376

https://www.tvguide.com/news/doctor-who-season-12-premiere-date-trailer/

For American viewers, TVGuide says New Years Day premiere on BBC America and subsequent Sundays will be at 8pmET/7pm CT/MT