Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: The Book of Secrets, Chapter One: Prodigal Son

• Start Topic

I thought for sure they would have Jenn to do some cool electro shock thing to power Khalil up - but Lynn shot that down.

Then I got relieved they were going to move him to a pod - but then Lynn said it was too late.

It seemed they didn't try hard enough.

That prom scene was heart breaking - such a beautiful couple.

I had a feeling Tobias and Cutter had a romantic past.

"Good! Now go move that body!" Tobias is the ultimate a-hole.

• Love 4

. . . aaaaaaand we're back to the hard defeats. Khalil dies, Jenn blows up a bitch's car (I hope she had "Only In Freeland" insurance), and Tobias grows even whiter as all the blood drains from his face to his junk, for he has acquired the pod kids.

We did get a good laugh at Henderson getting the tour of the Lightning Lair, or whatever it's called. Just the general bemusement. "Secret door behind shelves? Hey, why not? And there's Gambi, alive and kicking. Is there anything else you're not telling me, Jeff?"

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

So Tobias really did rip out his spine?

I have mixed feelings about them drawing out Khalil's death. I didn't hate him, so I'm glad he got a 'farewell episode'. But on the other hand, it's annoying that they didn't just kill him off the last episode instead of giving hope that he would survive.

That being said, I liked the scene with Jen's 'safe space' with her and Khalil. I thought all the scenes with Khalil were well done, but really sad. 😭

Long time, no see, Grace!

So is Cutter staying on with Tobias? Because I was sure she was only around for the hunting for Khalil arc. And she has romantic history with Tobias? ::shudder:: I'm sure that didn't work out because Tobias could never love anyone as much as he loves being a criminal and making puns.

In any case, I'm glad that Tobias is back to being a threatening, over-the-top villain again; and there's movement on his plans. (Why did it take so long??)

I guess I'm glad that Jefferson is being honest with Henderson, but might being in on all the secrets become a problem later?

Wow, so Todd is just all in on being Tobias' henchman! I did want a loyal minion for Tobias, but this dude's turn to the Dark Side is just so quick and complete.

2 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Parking lot Patty?

LOL! If we can't get revenge against racists in the real world, Black Lightning is making sure to get it done in fictional Freeland.

• Love 7

I legit cried at that final scene with Kahlil and Jenn.  It was so sweet that she took him to prom.   That poor guy had the shittiest and saddest arc.

I hope Jeff rips out Tobias' spine. 

RIP Kahlil

• Love 4

I guess it was only a matter of time before Khalil met a tragic end.  His life was probably over the minute he took that bullet last season, and was on borrowed time sense.  Hopefully Jordan Calloway will get some other gigs soon (probably not a return trip to Riverdale, since his Chuck didn't really fare well on that show.)  Definitely think this is going to effect Jen going forward.

Yay, Grace is back!  Hopefully she'll actually stay longer than two episodes.  I have to think they'll address her having powers.

Henderson's reaction to the Lightning Lair and Gambi still being alive was great.  Damon Gupton knows how to pull off the reaction shots!

Tobias has certainly amassed himself an interesting crew: a master assassin, a hacker using is skills for evil, and an insane doctor!  And with them going after the pod kids, I worry that he is getting closer to discovering the truth about Jefferson, which would put everyone in danger.

• Love 7

I was thinking that Jenn might have saved Khalil's life and then they threw him into a pod. Maybe they faked Khalil's death to throw off Tobias. This show always kills the characters I like (good and bad) and leaves the ones I can't stand.

I am getting tired of waiting for them to bring back the black Nigthcrawler (I am not racist, but I like to refer to him as the "Black as Nigthcrawler") character they showed several episodes ago in the bar. Here is a weird thought, maybe Gambi called him and he is a good guy. This might counter the 4 new bad guys Tobias just unearthed.

9 hours ago, Trini said:
12 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Parking lot Patty?

LOL! If we can't get revenge against racists in the real world, Black Lightning is making sure to get it done in fictional Freeland.

I haven't been watching Black Lightning this season, so this was the first episode I've seen in a while. Glad to see the show is still going strong. And I was beyond thrilled when Jenn blew up that heifer's car! Call me Petty Betty. ;)

• Love 2
11 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Hopefully Jordan Calloway will get some other gigs soon (probably not a return trip to Riverdale, since his Chuck didn't really fare well on that show.) 

I don’t watch. During the first season, someone inserted quotes from the series into comics. I was laughing too hard at “Ride the Chuck Wagon.”

12 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I hope Jeff rips out Tobias' spine.

Technically, Tobias “removed” Khalil’s implant. Back to the topic, I don’t think Jeff can do it. I mean literally. I just imagine him punching Tobias’s lower back, trying to get to the spine, and Tobias smirking the entire time. “Yeah, that ain’t happening. I credit that to a good diet and drinking the blood of my enemies. (more futile punching) I got a lot of names for you, Sparky. ‘Shiftless’ ain’t one of ‘em.”

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

This show does a good job of subverting expectations. Not every B character has as much plot armor as I would normally expect.  Theoretically, I could still see Khalil being brought back from the dead using similar mojo to how they brought Lala back, except I don't think there's anything Tobias wold still want from him. I mean, sure, he has great information about who BL is, but TW doesn't know that.

Even though I did come around to liking him as a character, I have to confess that I am a little bit glad he's out of the way. Jennifer deserves to be involved in story arcs better than "Oh no! My boyfriend is in danger of being killed by.. the exact same villains that every one else on this show is in danger of being killed by!"

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 1

*Sniffle* That prom scene between Jenn and Khalil just hurt so bad. I really thought that when Khalil survived into this episode, he would be fine, or end up in a tub or a coma and come back later, but he actually died. Poor Khalil, he just wanted to run track and go to college one day, and instead he got stuck with the most super depressing arc in the entire show. He did make some bad choices, but he was young and desperate and easy to manipulate, and he tried to make it right in the end. 

So now Tobias has his own Legion of Doom, with the mad scientist, the evil genius, and the assassin with the fabulous wardrobe. Please tell me he builds his own giant black head for them to meet up in!

Love seeing Hendersons reaction to the Black Lighting Lair, and Gambi being alive. Especially Gambi assuring him that he really is, in fact, a tailor, he just does all this other stuff on the side! 

• Love 2
On 1/28/2019 at 7:21 PM, LadyOracle said:

I thought for sure they would have Jenn to do some cool electro shock thing to power Khalil up - but Lynn shot that down.

Then I got relieved they were going to move him to a pod - but then Lynn said it was too late.

It seemed they didn't try hard enough.

There was no reason for Jenn to not to "hot wire" Khalil at the end.  Would it have made him more dead?  It seemed dumb that they didn't even try.

• Love 1