Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: The Children

• Start Topic

This Forum is for Unsullied Members to post in: those who have vowed to not only not read the books, but also to not watch previews, read information on the Viewer's Guide, or seek any information outside of what has been IN THE EPISODES ONLY.

For the purposes of The Habitat there are 4 categories of visitor:

Unsullied = Only watch the show from HBO static to closing credits. Nothing else, nada, zilch, zip. = Welcome to post in here.
Unspoiled = Haven't read the books. Watch the show plus ‘next time on’ previews and/or interviews/reviews and/or own GoT DVD boxsets and/or access HBO GoT content. = Please post in the main GoT forum, where the No Book Talk episode thread caters to you.
Partially-spoiled Bookwalker = Have read some of the books but none beyond where the show has broadcast. = Please post in the main GoT forum, where the No Book Talk episode thread caters to you.
Fully-spoiled Bookwalker = Have read either all of the books or past where the show has broadcast. = Please post in the main GoT forum, where there is a Book Talk episode thread for you.

Unless you fall into the Unsullied category above you should be in READ-ONLY mode in this thread (and sub-forum).
Thank you for your cooperation.

Episode Synopsis:

Circumstances change after an unexpected arrival from north of the Wall. Dany must face harsh realities. Bran learns more about his destiny. Tyrion sees the truth about his situation.

Runtime = 66mins

I'm rewatching the episode now, and my first thought is thank goodness I didn't see the "Previously On" my first time through.  That would have ruined it.  What a perfect ending to a great season!  The Starks are making a comeback!  All four of them are poised to truly come into their own in season 5.  I expected many things, but I never suspected Arya would leave the Hound to die a lingering death, that Brienne would meet up with Arya, and that Arya would refuse to join her and run off to Bravos instead.  What a wonderful series of twists.

Dany's scene was heartwrenching. So much for Breaker of Chains.  And Tyrion!  I'm so proud of him, taking care of business before he goes.  I didn't expect Varys to become his traveling companion.  I would love to see the adventures of Tyrion and Varys.  I just hope Varys has a good Plan B after leaving everything behind in King's Landing.  I loved the moment of decision in his eyes when he heard the bells tolling.  It reminded me of the scene between Tyrion and Varys about bells before the battle of Blackwater.  And I guess Tyrion has done Cersei a great favor, and Loras Tyrell and even greater favor.  The question is whether Cersei will find a way to oust Margaery before she marries Tommen.  And whether Jaime is doing anything more than using Cersei.  Let's hope that's all it is.

Stannis was a surprise.  I expected him last week.  Lol.  I like the discussion between Stannis and Jon.  I guess the good thing about Stannis is that he is willing to give respect when respect is due regardless of station.  And Mance Rayder's refusal to bow was laudable.  I enjoyed that he was true to his principles, beaten or not.

• Love 4

Yesss! Yes, yes! Best episode so far!

Shit happened! Twyin is dead, really dead, and the best part was Tyrion did it! Bonus point, Shae is dead too! Gee, I didn't think she was such a traitor. But color me surprised, I thought Twyin was asexual. Pretty hypocrite of him with all his talking against whores, criticizing Tyrion for it and he goes and does the same thing.

The Children thing, I'm not sure, it didn't convince me. You'd think they'd do something better than having a kid in some weird clothes. But I'm glad Bran is finally somewhere. When the old dude said he'd fly, I thought immediately of the dragons.

Speaking of which, I knew it was just a matter of time for them to start killing people. And I'm also glad Dany is seeing the consequences of her actions. Let's see if she learns to do some real ruling. Maybe she can get the former masters to hire ex slaves? She'll have to create a labor ministery or something to guard the interests of the workers.

I was so glad when Brienne found Arya! Of course they were going to separate. She's a real psychopath now, no? I mean, really, she's beyond repair now, there are no feelings left in her. I wanted her to become an assassin, but not like that, not a full on psychopath.

Stannis has also some teletransportation device, since he was in the other side of the world and all. But I'm willing to forget that, given he's finally doing something! You think he'll make the Wildlings join him against WW or against Bolton?

• Love 5

Okay, so Jaime was setting Tyrion up, no? Tyrion never went to the door? Or did he kill Tywin first and then go to the door? I wasn't entirely sure how that played out. Did he just go straight to Varys after killing Tywin, or did he go back to the door?

The Mountain is still alive and now being transformed into some sort of creature I suppose? Gah.

Varys was right to leave King's Landing. With Tywin dead, things are going to get crazy really fast.

Goodbye, Sandor Clegane. Or... maybe not? Maybe someone will rescue him. I was hoping he and Brienne would make out at some point, they had surprisingly good chemistry.

Melissandre (?) was taking way too much interest in Jon Snow.

Oh, and where the hell is Gendry? Come on Show.

(edited)

Jaime wasn't setting Tyrion up, 90PercentGravity, it was just that Tyrion needs to get some shit done first, apparently.  

Also, it looked like Varys bugged out alongside Tyrion's crate, which was the part that really left my jaw hanging.  That Tyrion would kill Tywin? Well, about time!  That Jaime would free Tryion?  About time!  That Shae would be boffing Tywin?  

Yeah, that one was just sad.  So Tyrion really never has been loved.  How thoroughly awful.  

And Tywin was full of shit.

Yeah, that was...weird, more than anything.  Thomas More began, and abandoned, a history he was writing of The Wars of the Roses, including a speculative moment in which Richard III basically puts a hit out on his nephews in The Tower, in the midst of relieving himself.  A move Bertram Field referred to as "A fantastic Tudor touch".  Indeed.   Tywin trying to persuade Tyrion "You're my son" with his knickers 'round his knees reminded me of that.  

I don't know, I didn't particularly like that ending for Tywin.  

But holy hell, Stannis managed to do something both interesting and timely, at long, long last.  So...there's a port or inlet in the North, I take it?  

Arya leaving the Hound to die of whatever creature might eat him was...well, it wasn't worthy of her, really.  I'm glad she's off to Braavos, but that was not one of her better moments.  

Also...great, so we're going to get Mountainstein?  What a thoroughly boring development.  More Zombie action, only with a character that had no damn development beyond "vicious giant, equine-hater" in the first place.  Making him a monstrous, mindless killer will be...more of the same, really.  

And Bran met up with the Children of the Forest while poor, rather useless Jojen died in a mercy killing by his sister.  

I was so sure Benjen would finally show the fuck up.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1
I was so sure Benjen would finally show the fuck up.  

When Bran and company started through the root tunnels, I started chanting "Benjen, Benjen, Benjen."  I had such hope!  :(  I guess the old guy will have to do.  So I'm wondering whether the multitude of crows that gathered when the White Walker came for Gilly's baby were in fact controlled by the old man.  I assumed that when he spoke of "flying" he meant crows.  But the thought that it was dragons is an interesting one, especially since the black dragon is AWOL and going through his teenage rebellious years.

• Love 2

I thought that Tyrion changed the plan because he suspected Jaime had set him up. What a relief! Shae truly wanted to kill him. Why?

When Cersei was fighting with Tywin, I was surprised to find myself rooting for her. She was willing to put her son before herself. That had to be a first. I did notice that she told her father she wouldn't leave her son, but when she repeated what she said to Jaime, she lied and said she told him she wouldn't leave son or brother. Clear manipulation. Is Cersei truly in love with Jaime, or does she just enjoy having sex and manipulating him? She did kiss his false hand which really affected him.

Why can't Jaime have children or be a land owner?

I don't know what I'm supposed to think about Arya. Surely she knew the Hound was trying to provoke her. I really expected her to put him down. I don't think she's a psychopath, I think she's numb right now. Who wouldn't be? Is she headed for Jon Snow?

snowblackWhen Bran and company started through the root tunnels, I started chanting "Benjen, Benjen, Benjen."  I had such hope!  

You and me both.  It wasn't even that I was so sure it would be Benjen, but rather that I was so sure it would someone with some significant context within the show.  Instead it was "oh...okay...it's Root Dude.  We're...saved?"  

• Love 4

I just realized that Arya heading across the sea to Bravos means she won't be reunited with her wolf. :(  I had so hoped they would find one another, and Arya would have a link to her family other than the tool she uses for killing.

• Love 2
(edited)

You know , the other "oh...okay, right then." of the finale was revisiting Dany's story and she locked her dragons in the catacombs?  What?  Her black dragon killed a three-year-old girl without being ordered too...takes off and so she locks up the other two? 

She didn't lock them in there to die, right?  She's supposed to be The Mother of Dragons...well congrats, Dany, they're now teens.  As much as you want to, grounding them forever is not actually going to make them pick up their rooms.  Or something?  Honestly, that story barely tracked for me in terms of story logic.  "Black dragon got his murder on...so let's put the other two in those deeply hated slave collars? Huh?"  

Edited by stillshimpy
(edited)

What Is Dead May Never Die [s2E3]

Bran: Every night it's the same: I'm walking, running, but I'm not me. I'm running through the Godswood, sniffing the dirt, tasting blood in my mouth when I've made a fresh kill, howling. Old Nan used to tell me stories about magical people who could live inside stags, birds, wolves.
Maester Luwin: That's exactly what they were, Bran: stories.
Bran: So she was lying? They don't exist?
Luwin: Well, they may have done, but they're gone from the world along with much else. These are dreams, Bran, nothing more.
Bran: No. My dreams are different. Mine are true. I dreamt of my father dying and Rickon had the same dream.
Luwin: What about all the dreams you had that didn't come true? [removes a link from his chain] This link is made of Valyrian steel. Only one Maester in a hundred wears it on his chain. It signifies that I have studied the higher mysteries, and all who study these mysteries try their hand at spells. I was not different. I was young and what boy doesn't secretly wish for special powers to lift him out of his dull life into a special one, but in the end, for all of my efforts, I got no more out of it than a thousand boys before me. Come on. [tucks Bran back to bed] Maybe magic once was a mighty force in the world, but not anymore; the dragons are gone, the giants are dead, and the children of the forest forgotten.

(ETA Maester Luwin is now 0-for-3, and for clarity.)

Edited by WhiteStumbler
  • Love 9

I am so happy Tyrion lives. Pretty perfect death for Tywin IMO. 

I thought it was more cruel for Dany to put her dragons in chains than to kill them if she thought they would be dangerous to humans.

(edited)

So Stannis just slaughtered the 100,000 strong wildling army huh. That must have been a helluva loan.

I'll need to rewatch, but from my gameplay in the Total War series I'd estimate there were at least 10,000 cavalry out there.

I think the 100,000 wildlings was just propaganda, really, that Jon Snow had swallowed hook, line and sinker. I bet there were only 3000-5000 warriors at max. I mean episode 9 when they showed the wildlings, did you think at any point 'There's 100,000 men out there'. I certainly did not. If you have watched Troy, there is that scene when the Greek warriors arrive and their army fills the view from screen to screen. That's what 100,000 army should look like. And it makes sense too, how many people can really live in a snowy wasteland? Some Canadian states have a TOTAL pop of ~17000. Counting women, children everything, you just can't have a large army.

Poor Jon Snow. He can just not catch a break. First he was supposed to fight white walkers and zombies. Then he got dragged into a long and pointless battle with wildlings ( hey Mance a tip. If you are going to offer terms anyway, how about doing so before fighting? ). But then he got laid so.. Anyway, for a season he had to put up with Thorne and his assholery. He even took time out to go and kill some mutineers! And now he's up against the ultimate villain: The Lord of Light. The last scene with Melisandre and the fire was delicious and indicates where the big bad for his storyline is shifting towards.

I'm still bummed about being wrong on Jojen. Guess he wasn't evil after all.

Edit: Oh yea. Breaker of chains.. LOL

Edited by AlphaLine
(edited)

Holy.Fucking.Shit...THAT? Was fucking AWESOME!  Best.Season.Finale.EVER!!!

My god, there was so much fanfuckingtastic shit that went down that I barely know where to begin!

I was so happy to see Jon Snow and the Wall again straight away because I thought we wouldnt see them again until next year (I guess I've become way more invested in The Wall again), so it was nice to get some immediate gratification on that and as soon as they panned back and I saw massive troops galloping towards Mance's camp, I yelled, "No.Fucking.Way! Stannis?! Yessssss, Davos and Stannis!!!! Fuck yeah! That? Was such a great scene, and I thought that we'd just seen the best scene of the night and the rest would be more mellow, as some past season finales have had a moratorium on killing, and more mellowed and somber cadence compared to their infamous episode 9 predessesors. Boy, was I ever wrong about that, huh?!

First of all, the scene where we first see Stannis' men riding in, I loved that scene and it felt like Stannis finally did something right for a change. But from a cinematic perspective, that scene where they pan back and we see this huge cavalry riding towards the woods from the Wall, then we go into the woods, then pan back out again to see that another cavalry is riding around the rear of the forest and we realize that some great strategy is happening and Mance's crew is as good as fucked, and THEN - as if those scenes aren't visually enough - we pan out and up again, to see both sides of the cavalry riding into the woods and towards each other in this near-perfect symmetrical unison, until, Until, UNTIL, YESSSSSSSSSSS! They ride together and shit just got really real!  That scene was better than awesome sex! I felt like I needed a cig after watching that scene and I don't even smoke. My compliments and tip of the hat to the cinematographers on that entire scene. It had the same magnificence and visual satisfaction that I had from the very first opening scene of the very first episode when they ride through the tunnel and we see the tunnel door open up.  Just, gorgeous filmmaking right there folks! The Iron Bank's risk management team would have been pleased to see their money going to such excellent and precise use.

As far as the actual scene, I liked that Jon didnt try to lie about always renouncing the NW. I like how he handled that without pretending to still be part of Team Mance. Loved his expression when he was telling Stannis that based on what he has seen out there, they better burn ALL the dead before nightfall. And when that lone Widling came lunging at Stannis and one of his men rode through and took him out, I laughed because it was such a needed moment of levity. So odd to even write that about such a scene but so true. And how King-like of Stannis that while the Lannisters are just playing at being King and rulers of the 7K, Stannis is actually BEING a King by riding North beyond the Wall to protect the 7K unbeknownst to those South of the Wall. Oh, one last thing for A Show, WE GET IT, Jon and Ygritte loved each other, we get it, stop beating us over the head about it. Ironic though, that the one person who shouldnt have had love, had it, if only for a moment, and yet, she would have killed him so how in love could she have been? Aiyiyi. Oh, and while I appreciated Jon being true to himself and the NW and not trying to BS Mance about his still being with the Wildlings, I thought, "oh no, this is pure Ned Stark right here, Mr. Honest himself." Which doesn't bode well for Jon long term, unless...unless, Stannis becomes the King finally, because Stannis is one of the few men left right now who appears to still put honor and righteousness above all else, live beach burnings notwithstanding...And yeah, I wasn't too thrilled with Mel checking Jon out. Maybe she will see that it's actually Jon who is the next King, and not Stannis?  But that's for another season folks...

Dany's scene was interesting, much like international relief and development, just giving people things is charity, but it does not develop them to stand on their own two feet and create their own destiny. And I too was confused about the two dragonettes that were put into solitary confinement. Was she going to let them die down there, or is she planning on feeding them but not letting them fly free for the time being? I am really confused about that part. Why punish the two dragons that are not causing trouble? It seems like the black one is the one who nipped at her previously, and who seems like he is out of her control. But the other two seemed to be still listening to her, it makes no sense. OTOH, I liked that we saw her struggling to make sense of her charitable freedom- giving, and that she put the safety of the people above her dragons. She isnt totally cold hearted.

The whole thing with them trying to Frankenstein The Mountain? That was my only beef with A Show. That was just stupid. I foresee him of course living, and becoming even more of a freak of nature, who should have died for killing my beloved Oberyn. That said, I have a feeling the upside might be that he ends up killing Cersei at some point...hey, A Viewer can dream, cant she?

Cersei telling Daddy that she's been definitely brother-fucking, and that Daddy's bloodline is DOA with bastard incest kids? I mean, he knew, we knew he knew, it wasn't that profound. I was a little confused about her saying that Myrcella was sold like cattle in Dorne. Thats not how we know it to be, she is supposed to be living a safe haven life there...well, at least until Cersei became responsible for killing the Prince of Dorne, that wasn't a very nice way to thank the good people of Dorne for taking in her daughter in a time of need, but she is Cersei, so its not like she was going to thank them with an Edible Arrangement bouquet...And as I thought in the Sept "rape" scene, these two enjoy bumping uglies in weird and perverse ways so yeah, I dont think she was all that put out by their last interlude.

The new twist of the skeleton fighters was, ummm, a little too CGI for my tastes. That stuff, like the WWs, seems so goofy that it makes me lose my concentration. RIP Jojen, you done good. I guess we arent really supposed to know what the hell that underground Root Ball King is all about, but we will find out next season, I'm sure. I hope that Bran's wolf can hang out in there with them, I dont want to lose another wolfie. And was anyone else thinking right before Bran asked it, "Please, let Bran be able to walk again, make it happen!" And then BAM! Dream denied. Ouch. Oh, and Hodor rocked in that entire scene, Go Hodor!

By the time we got to Tyrion, I'd completely forgotten his story even existed, that's how mesmerized I was with this entire episode!  All of a sudden I said, "holy shit! Tyrion, I'd forgotten about him, DUH!" Of course Jamie saved his brother, he may be a sister-fucker, but he's not completely devoid of being able to love normally, and he does love his little brother. I got a bit lost in that scene when Tyrion pops up into the castle and starts walking around. I thought that was all part of the plan, until he got that look in his eye...I actually thought he'd gone to Cersei's bed chamber to possibly kill her (wishful thinking, eh?), and I was surprised to see Shae there, then realized that the Hand of the King pin...Shae...No shit! Tywin's fucking Tyrion's sloppy seconds, just, ewww! I still am not convinced though, that she didn't originally love Tyrion.  I mean, she's caught between a Casterly rock and a hard place, what's a whore to do? I suppose doing the bidding of the Hand of the King is what most whores in that situation would do, right?  But nothing prepared me for Tyrion killing The Great Tywin Lannister while he was trying to take an evening shit. That was fantastic! It's always satisfying for a really nasty fucker to die in a really undignified and humiliating way, and on the pot taking a shit has got to be right up there with "Top Ten Humiliating Ways To Die" in KL and the 7K in general. They'll be telling stories about that over mugs of grog until the next Winter Comes and goes again.  But yeah, I was so pleased that Varys was the one to help Tyrion escape, and when the bells started tolling - I totally remembered the "for a dead King" speech - and the look on Varys' face...I honestly wasn't sure, in that moment, if he was going back to get Tyrion off the boat because he realized what he'd done, or not, but when we saw him sitting beside the crate, it was a beautiful and haunting moment to me. Godspeed Varys, and Tyrion, I hope you are off to one of the lands of the Free People.

I have been assuming for a few epis now, that Arya would do a mercy killing on The Hound in the end, I was again surprised and not, that she just took his money and walked away letting him die what I can only assume is a slow and horrible death. In the end, The Hound - and all her "life teachers" thus far, taught her well. She knew she was a commodity for The Hound, even though he grew a soft spot for her I think. I dont think she spared killing him because she cared one iota about him, I think as she sat there quietly listening to him try to egg her on to kill him out of anger, she realized that kiling him was too merciful, and simply walking away and leaving him there was the best way to cross him off her list. I dont think it speaks ill of her, I think WE want to think poorly of her because we assumed , we wanted her and The Hound to have some shred of real compassion for one another. And in the end, the circumstances of their being together ultimately revealed that she ws but a golden ticket he was looking to cash in on, period, end of story. I dont blame her for walking away. Girlfriend got balls!

Brienne and Pod made me hella nervous tonight, I was really worried that we were about to lose Brienne, and was relieved that she didnt die. I was a bit surprised that Arya hide from her and made her own decision to not be "saved" by anyone..and then I wasnt really surprised if I think about it for a moment because to me, that made perfect sense because since she was spirited away from KL, she has been in the "safety" of so many people who really dont give a shit about her in any meaningful way, and Arya knows this. Everyone just wants to "help"her so that they can reap some reward and even though Brienne isnt like that, there is no way Arya would know that, and after what she has been through, she woud be an idiot to trust anyone again, other than Syrios or Jaqen. I saw her decision to not go with Brienne as Arya finally, Finally, FINALLY being able to make her own decisions and decide what SHE wanted to do in this fucked up world she has been thrust into. And I kept hoping, please, please, please A Show, let her get to a boat, let her get to the water and see a boat...When she got to the water and the captain told her he was going home...to the Free City of Braavos? My hand involuntarily shot up in the air in a fist, and I exclaimed, "YES!!!! Say it, say it, SAY THE WORDS Arya, sayyyy it!" And when she did? I got goose bumps and this wet stuff started coming out my eye holes. I had to rewind and watch it three times, before that wet stuff stopped coming out of my eye holes. What a magnificent scene that was! From her riding the white horse along the ridge, to seeing her on the boat to Braavos. Just, Wow! I had a feeling that would happen since they werent exactly subtle on the "previously, on GoT" recap at the top of the show, but still, it was such an amazing way to end the best season ever! Thank you A Show, for letting some of the good guys get ahead...finally!

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 9

Great ep.  I love Arya so much that I don't even care how she left The Hound.  I swear she could turn into a raging demon and I would still defend her actions.  I mean, he did kill Micah and he was on her List, so I was fine that she did whatever she wanted to do after it was clear that he was For Sure dying.  Now she's off to Braavos and she's going to be a badass killer.  Awesome.  I'm sad she didn't trust Brienne more but frankly she was made for Braavos, they know how the hell to train killers over there.

• Love 3

I do think Shae loved Tyrion once but she was a shallow sort and her anger at perceived betrayal ended that love story.

So many interesting pieces set up now, after last episode I wasn't sure if I'd get that 'what's around the corner' tingle of excitement at the season end but I sure do now - suddenly the wall is interesting with Stannis in charge, Arya is going to take us to new worlds, the same with Tyrion and Varys - surely one of the more exciting coupligns the show could choose for a road trip - Bran is not truly compelling yet but at least they got rid of one character who was threatetening to be overly samey with his premonitions. I think the Dany developments are _interesting_ because they become a lot more nuanced and she's facing very real problems far from simple fantasy solutions - although I'm not sure if it will make for great television yet.

• Love 3
(edited)
gingerella:The new twist of the skeleton fighters was, ummm, a little too CGI for my tastes. That stuff, like the WWs, seems so goofy that it makes me love my concentration. RIP Jojen, you done good. I guess we arent really supposed to know what the hell that underground Root Ball King is all about, but we will find out next season, I'm sure.

Yeah, that looked like something out of Sinbad, I thought.  A few years back there was a (not very good) tv series based on the Harry Dresden books.  He has something that amounts to the spirit of intellect that helps him, named Bob.  Bob inhabits a skull.  On the screen they had to change Bob into a human spirit, because the skull just looked cheesy as hell no matter what they did.  Adding the rest of the skeleton did nothing to help matters, GoT.  

Also if Root Dude turns out to be any kind of King, it will almost be amusing.  "Oh good, another one.  No way for that to go wrong."  

gingerella: She knew she was a commodity for The Hound, even though he grew a soft spot for her I think. I dont think she spared killing him because she cared one iota about him, I think as she sat there quietly listening to him try to egg her on to kill him out of anger, she realized that kiling him was too merciful, and simply walking away and leaving him there was the best way to cross him off her list. I dont think it speaks ill of her, I think WE want to think poorly of her because we assumed , we wanted her and The Hound to have some shred of real compassion for one another.

I was never really much for being on Team Hound, so that wasn't why I didn't like that she left him there to die.  It was that it was unnecessarily cruel and realistically, Arya's a little kid.  Not a super Little Kid, but for all the "Woo hoo , Badass assassin!" of it all, she's supposed to be what...twelve? I can understand why she did it, but again, she's a kid.  That's too much cold-blooded, murderous "how can I make him suffer more?" calculation for a kid, for my tastes  

Admittedly, it almost certainly means that The Hound is not going to die.  Arya walked away from him, but Brienne is still around there somewhere.  It's a pretty reliable standard in TV and movies to never trust an implied or offscreen death. 

We'll see, maybe The Hound will rise again, or barring that, both Brienne and Pod are unlikely to just leave someone out to be food for the animals.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 1

Yeah. This has to be the best episode of the season by far! Let's see how my predictions (taken from the Completely Unspoiled Speculation Thread) fared.

1) The results of Tyrion's trial will be determined.  I'm 30/20/50 on how A Story will do this.

30% chance : He will live via escape. Someone will help him out (Jamie, Elyria, Varys, Tywin, Tyrells are the only options I can think of)

I will count that as 0.3 points :)

2) Jon will get captured by the wildlings, and Mance will say something ominous.

Totally called this, but it was like predicting A Show would air last night at 9 EST. 0.5 points

3) The Greyjoys or Boltons will have a brief scene where they scowl.

Didn't show up. Good!  0 points

4) Stannis and Davos are on a boat.  Melissandre, wife, and Shireen are also on a boat. Maybe the same boat.

As long as "boats" doesn't translate to "horses," I'm very wrong. 0 points

When the cavalry showed up to attack the Wildling camp, I screamed "what? Stannis? no, Bolton? wait, no, IT'S STANNIS and DAVOS!!"  My poor watching companions.

5) Arya and the Hound will walk some more and talk darkly about killing people. Brienne and Pod will find them.

1 point :D

6) The Bran Muffins will find the Weirwood Tree. Epic magic happens.

Yes, magical things happened. When I chucked this spitball, I was thinking that the epic magic would come from Bran. 0.5 points

7) Dany's dragons will have a scene doing something. We've only seen them twice all season for goodness sakes.

Yup!  1 point

8) LF/Sansa plot something evil together and Sansa gets erie (ha) satisfaction out of hurting others the way she was hurt.

Not even in the episode.  0 points

3.3 points achieved / 8 points possible = 41.25% 

I get TWO cookies! :)

• Love 5

So, is it possible Shae was working for Tywin all along?

I loved when Varys turned around and got on the ship when he realized what Tyrion had done.  I'm kinda sad Tywin is dead, although he was a terrible person, he did seem to be a good leader and not crazy.  Now who will guide Tommin?  Cersei?  I think the Lannisters are doomed.

I was disturbed more by Danys locking up the dragons than Arya leaving The Hound.  I can understand Arya wanting him to suffer.

As for Danys, I really think her putting the dragons in the closet, so to speak, is going to end up biting her in the butt.  Why isn't they a "How to train your Dragon" book somewhere?.

• Love 2
The question is whether Cersei will find a way to oust Margaery before she marries Tommen.  And whether Jaime is doing anything more than using Cersei.  Let's hope that's all it is. -- snowblack

It may be more a case of Cersei's using Jaime, at his weak point.  She is taking on the most powerful person in the land, and she needs allies. As she said, there is nothing she wouldn't do for her family, that is, her children.  She may also love Jaime as twin, brother and lover as best she is able, at least at times.  Whatever the case, she was securing two of Tywin's resources -- his son and his creature --- to her own cause, while acquiring a Grand Maester actually worse than Pycelle.

Melissandre (?) was taking way too much interest in Jon Snow. -- 90PercentGravity

Fee, fie, foe, fum.  First impressions are so important: better not, that Melisandre's initial glimpse of you is through the flames. Whether the thought-bubble over her head was "Oh my, Type K!" or "Oh my, True King!."

She's supposed to be The Mother of Dragons...well congrats, Dany, they're now teens.  As much as you want to, grounding them forever is not actually going to make them pick up their rooms. -- stillshimpy

Hee.  I think -- hope -- that Dany was just grounding the two still at hand, while she tries to devise a training program.  Stall rest, more or less.  The music, which was otherwise first-rate throughout the ep, was damned lugubrious.  That didn't stop me from tearing up.    

...we pan out and up again, to see both sides of the cavalry riding into the woods and towards each other in this near-perfect symmetrical unison, until, Until, UNTIL, YESSSSSSSSSSS! They ride together and shit just got really real!  That scene was better than awesome sex! I felt like I needed a cig after watching that scene and I don't even smoke. -- gingerella

It was incredible -- that's when I knew that we'd be riding dragons this ep.  

Oh, and while I appreciated Jon being true to himself and the NW and not trying to BS Mance about his still being with the Wildlings, I thought, "oh no, this is pure Ned Stark right here, Mr. Honest himself."

Yet Mance was the more honest.  I was grumbling about how unlikely it was that Jon was ushered into his presence, and grumbled again when Jon spoke of offering terms -- to the man that both men knew held all the cards -- and then, Mance revealed that he was the wiser of the two.  I really loved that this was true. Ciaran Hinds brought so much presence, so much bemused yet rock-solid authority.  (Though I thought  I did see him visibly perk up when he had suddenly Stephan Dillane to act opposite...Stannis to the rescue, indeed.)  But I also loved that Jon seemed to absorb the lesson on the spot, and counseled Stannis admirably.  

The whole thing with them trying to Frankenstein The Mountain? That was my only beef with A Show. That was just stupid. I foresee him of course living, and becoming even more of a freak of nature, who should have died for killing my beloved Oberyn. That said, I have a feeling the upside might be that he ends up killing Cersei at some point.

Oh!  Sign me up for that spec, gingerella!  So it would be Cersei's monster and not Dany's "children" who turn on their creator/mother.  Because Cersei only wants a stronger monster to wreak havoc; Dany is trying to balance her love for her dragons with her responsibility to all other creatures.   Which is another reasn I think Dany will find a way to school and direct them.

I honestly wasn't sure, in that moment, if he was going back to get Tyrion off the boat because he realized what he'd done, or not, but when we saw him sitting beside the crate, it was a beautiful and haunting moment to me.

Me too, on all fronts: worry that Varys would turn on Tyrion (though not in time to prevent his escape), and then an ah of surprise and deep satisfaction.  Beautiful and haunting indeed.  Like the last two Jews to escape Europe in 1939...And then, it was three.

• Love 3

Dad, the Vile Rumor is true! Me and your son have been commiting incest for years!

Hi, Dad, sorry to interrupt your bathroom break, but I just killed your lover, and here's a bolt thru the heart!

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!! (Game of Thrones style)

I only get points for Stannis @ Wall (though I figured he would be south supporting Castle Black or engaging the Wildling army after they broke thru), for Varys helping Tyrion, and for A Coin getting used (I thought equal chances of it being Arya, Arya & Hound, or Hound alone).

• Love 8

Happy Father's Day, indeed.  The Children:

1. The Children of the Forest
  2. Catelyn and Ned Stark's three of five living, all launched in new directions.
  3. Daenerys Targaryn's two of three, to be continued.
  4. Tywin Lannister's three of three, all three defying him.  Some more than others.  Not to be continued.
  5. Cersei Baratheon's: for the sake of her remaining two.
  6. Lord Reed's: one of two dying for the sake of the youngest child of his overlord Ned Stark. 
  7. The daughter of the supplicant father in Mereen.
  8. Arya to the Hound or Brienne: not. 
  • Love 3

Dad, the Vile Rumor is true! Me and your son have been commiting incest for years!

Hi, Dad, sorry to interrupt your bathroom break, but I just killed your lover, and here's a bolt thru the heart!

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!! (Game of Thrones style)

I only get points for Stannis @ Wall (though I figured he would be south supporting Castle Black or engaging the Wildling army after they broke thru), for Varys helping Tyrion, and for A Coin getting used (I thought equal chances of it being Arya, Arya & Hound, or Hound alone).

I think it was you, WS, who used this song lyric before (I've forgotten exactly where), but it is very apt for this GoT "Ode to Father":

Shot through the heart

And you're to blame

You give love a bad name...

• Love 2

Things that really, truly surprised me last night.  

1. Mance proposes the truce to Jon.  
  2. Stannis and the cavalry, showing up exactly when they did.  
  3. Mance to Stannis: "We're not in the North.  And you're not dressed for the weather."
  4. Mance, almost smiling, to Stannis: "We do not kneel...Nonetheless: we do not kneel."
  5. Stannis to Jon: What Would Ned Do?
  6. Jon to Stannis: What Would Ned Do. 
  7. Cersei's great scene with Tywin, holding her ground, making her case (to him and to us).  No lashing her tail, no thwarted maliciousness. And then the knowing, quiet voice with which she told him, "Yes, you do."
  8. Dany suggests that the tutor create a contract with his former master: pretty subtle for a young enlightened despot.
  9. Dany  takes action to restrain the dragons.
  10. The zomboni attack and how scary I found it.  Laugh away!  And I was scared for me, not so much the characters.
  11. "You will fly."
  12. The Hound's affirms, "Aye.  That's what I'm doing."  (Looking after Arya's safety.)
  13. The incredible fight between Brienne and the Hound.  
  14. Arya abandons the wounded Hound.
  15. Shae in Tywin's bed.
  16. Tyrion kills Shae.
  17. Tywin in the privy.
  18. And can we hope that that was Joffrey's crossbow with the lion insignia?
  19. Varys sails off with Imp-in-a-Box.
  20. The chorale of the theme as Arya too sets sail for Braavos.

Though many were bunched, that averages out to a surprise every 3.5 minutes.  And each of them striking a resonant chord, especially those that remain ambiguous.

• Love 4

Something I noticed last night and wondered if it was deliberate. Tywin is obviously not a young man, yet he always seemed to have a commanding and powerful presence. Last night he looked like a frail old man sitting on the toilet. Is it because he really looked like that, or has Tyrion just stopped being intimidated?

The close up shots of Tyrion's hands strangling Shae and then reloading the crossbow looked disturbingly like a child's hands. I was flashing back to Pet Sematary.

Jaime has proven that he loves his brother enough to defy both his father and the woman he's obsessed with and who manipulates him at will. I thought that was huge. It made me wonder if Tyrion would have done the same for Jaime. Tyrion has shown great kindness and concern for Sansa, but he seems to have never given up on that need to please his father. I just don't know if Tyrion would have risked that much for Jaime.

When Arya asked the Hound if he was going to die, I initially thought she cared. Then I thought she would be merciful and put him down as he had the old man. Now I'm thinking she asked because if he said he wasn't dying, she would have walked over there and put Needle through him.

This show is interesting in that it avoids so many sentimental impulses. That's why scenes like Jaime kneeling to hug and kiss Tyrion are so powerful.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't understand this 'Stannis saved the wall/Night's watch' thing. Excuse me, he did no such thing! The wildlings were going to spare the Night's watch anyway, as Jon would have accepted Mance Rayder's terms ( he wouldn't really go for the knife, that's just dumb ). Plus, I think it's abundantly clear that the '100,000 wildlings' thing was just propaganda. What it looks like is that about 50 wildlings got massacred by a huge army. Doesn't look like 'saving' to me. 

Then, even if you accept the idea that Stannis 'saved the day' somehow, that doesn't take motivation into account. He didn't go there because he wanted to 'be King-like'. He only went there because Melisandre basically ordered him to ( in S03E10 ) , and he didn't even know about the wildlings to begin with, because the letter only talked about white walkers. And finally, if he did have to 'get to the wall', why did he spend practically the whole season burning people, filling out a loan application and generally screwing around? Bit late there aren't you buddy? My only explanation is that Melisandre ordered him to drop all the side plots and ordered him to go North somewhere between episode 7 and 10.

Just listen to the Darth Vader like theme music. The impression I got is that Jon has just stepped from the frying pan into the fire- literally, as you watch Melisandre enjoying the people burning - well dead people, but still . I feel like a lot of people get swayed by Davos' propaganda - Stannis is 'just' and 'honorable', really? so that's why he burns people for being infidels? The truth is that Davos is just delusional for the most part, ignore his words and concentrate on the actions and you'll see something quite different. Stannis is infinitely more evil than the wildlings are - or rather the Lord of Light is, and Stannis is basically just a slave of the Lord of Light at this point so it's the same thing - , and so again, the last scene signalled to me that the new big bad has arrived at the Wall to oppose Jon Snow.

Edit: Btw, the scene also features a massive plot hole, as in, how were the troops able to get through the wall? Don't say the tunnel, there wasn't enough time in the 5 min or so. I guess the Wall is not much of a barrier really, people just teleport across it whenever the plot requires them to..

Also count me out of being a Dany supporter. Yeah she's done a lot of good no denying it, but she really needs to work on this whole 'justice' thing. Between locking up the two dragons who DIDN'T kill the kid, crucifying the master who spoke against crucifixions, exiling Jorah for no real reason.. yeah. Problem goes back to season 2 tbh, when she locked up the girl ( along with the black dude ) for no apparent crime that I could tell.

Also for some epic lulz, I decided to review her titles

the Unburnt -> Ok, I guess this is fine

Queen of Meereen -> Ok. Can you be a queen of both Meereen and Westeros though?

Queen of the Andals and Rhoynar and First Men. -> Excepting Barristan, where are all the Andals and First Men? Also what's Rhoynar.

Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea -> We're not in the Great Grass Sea, and where are all the Dothraki?

Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons -> After the last episode, I don't see how she has the right to call herself these any more..

Edited by AlphaLine
(edited)

Plus, I think it's abundantly clear that the '100,000 wildlings' thing was just propaganda.

We saw the 100,000 wildlings in the last scene of S2. Only it wasn't an army of 100,000 wildlings, it was the entire wildling population (including children, women and old people). Mance said in this episode that they were not conquerers, but that they wanted to hide behind the wall. I think it makes sense that he didn't bring the children who threw stones at Jon Snow to the frontlines.

I don't understand this 'Stannis saved the wall/Night's watch' thing. Excuse me, he did no such thing! The wildlings were going to spare the Night's watch anyway, as Jon would have accepted Mance Rayder's terms

Letting the wildlings through, would have been the end of Nights Watch. They would have all broken their vows, and most likely the next king or Lord (Bolton) would have executed the lot of them.

And finally, if he did have to 'get to the wall', why did he spend practically the whole season burning people, filling out a loan application and generally screwing around?

He needed the gold to hire mercanaries and the ships (Davos pirate friend) to transport his army! Davos said that the Golden Company has 10.000 skilled fighters and I think it showed when they attacked the wildlings.

Btw, the scene also features a massive plot hole, as in, how were the troops able to get through the wall? Don't say the tunnel, there wasn't enough time in the 5 min or so. I guess the Wall is not much of a barrier really, people just teleport across it whenever the plot requires them to..

Well, he landed with his army on the coast and rode north of the Wall to Castle Black? They certainly didn't come out of the gate. No teleportation needed.

To me, Stannis storyline makes perfect sense, even a little too much sense with the "we have no army"-->"lets hire an army"-->"we have no gold for that"-->"Lets go to apply for a loan from the bank"-->"now we have gold and need ships"-->"lets go to the pirates and pay them gold so we can get ships" etc... a bit boring. But it explained how Stannis managed to make a comeback after his defeat in S2.

Edited by arry the orphan
  • Love 5

3.3 points achieved / 8 points possible = 41.25%

I get TWO cookies! :) 

DirewolfPup, you get the whole jar, the bowl and the spoon.  Almost everything you suggested that might happen but did not, still might have happened within the story as it played out.  

You say, 

4) Stannis and Davos are on a boat.  Melissandre, wife, and Shireen are also on a boat. Maybe the same boat.
As long as "boats" doesn't translate to "horses," I'm very wrong. 0 points

And I say, "If wishes were horses, then boats would be too."  

• Love 1
Lord Reed's: one of two dying for the sake of the youngest child of his overlord Ned Stark.

Pretty sure both Rickon and Arya are younger than Bran Pallas, but it was still moving because Ned and Jojen's father apparently fought in the rebellion together.  

• Love 2

I would try to take points for the epic bland-off, but Stannis and Jon Snow were surprisingly charismatic together.

They were indeed, weren't they? It was as if in this episode, everyone really came into their own, and story lines advanced one giant step forward. Everyone passed go and collected their 200 gold dragons...Except Arya, who collected iron.

• Love 3
Pretty sure both Rickon and Arya are younger than Bran, Pallas, but it was still moving because Ned and Jojen's father apparently fought in the rebellion together.

Absolutely, shimpy!  I don't actually remember if Bran is younger than Arya, given her superior ability with the bow in the first ep.  (Of course she would have been practicing on the sly anyway, and given the difference in the actors' heights now...I just don't remember.) But it's not so much that I thought that through or ordinarilly, entirely forget about Rickon.  Just that, at the moment of remembering Bran's literally crawling forward to the Root of All Vision in the cave, he felt to me like the youngest of Catelyn and Ned's children.  

A few harkenings to actual or battle-forged brotherhoods in the ep.  The Night's Watch; the Wildings; The Reeds and the Starks; the Baratheons and the Starks; Tyrion and Jaime.

• Love 2

Also count me out of being a Dany supporter. Yeah she's done a lot of good no denying it, but she really needs to work on this whole 'justice' thing. Between locking up the two dragons who DIDN'T kill the kid, crucifying the master who spoke against crucifixions, exiling Jorah for no real reason.. yeah. Problem goes back to season 2 tbh, when she locked up the girl ( along with the black dude ) for no apparent crime that I could tell.

?? Doreah had betrayed Dany and her dragons to Xharo, she muttered something about "he said you'd never leave the city alive!" to justify her betrayal. We don't know to what extent she was involved, but Irri was killed during the kidnapping, and then Doreah turns up with the guy behind it so yeah... she deserved it about as much as Shae did.

I assumed Stannis probably rode thru the gate at Castle Black as there was no way what little was left of the NW was going to prevent a Westerosi army of that size from riding through if they wanted to - plus, they are supposed to serve the Westerosi so why would they want to stop them from crossing anyway? Or if I'm wrong about that, yeah I guess they could have sailed up the coast around the wall, which must end somewhere.

• Love 1

Absolutely, shimpy!  I don't actually remember if Bran is younger than Arya, given her superior ability with the bow in the first ep.  (Of course she would have been practicing on the sly anyway, and given the difference in the actors' heights now...I just don't remember.) But it's not so much that I thought that through or ordinarilly, entirely forget about Rickon.  Just that, at the moment of remembering Bran's literally crawling forward to the Root of All Vision in the cave, he felt to me like the youngest of Catelyn and Ned's children.  

A few harkenings to actual or battle-forged brotherhoods in the ep.  The Night's Watch; the Wildings; The Reeds and the Starks; the Baratheons and the Starks; Tyrion and Jaime.

I think Bran is younger. There's one way to confirm. Quick! To S01E01! The kids were all standing in age order, except tiny Rickon who was next to mom. Either way, Bran/Arya are probably a year apart regardless.

• Love 2
yeah I guess they could have sailed up the coast around the wall, which must end somewhere.

RAS, if memory serves me (and it often does not so take this with a grain of salt!), in the opening credits as we pan up North to The Wall, I am always surprised that it doesn't seem all that wide across it's breadth. And IIRC, there is water on both sides, but I could be wrong. I always think "geez, it doesn't look that long and can't folks get around the end parts anyways?" I am far too lazy to check it out, and the Nigeria Cup match awaits me, thus I must go post haste, but if anyone is so motivated to check, that'd be nifty!

I think Bran is younger. There's one way to confirm. Quick! To S01E01! The kids were all standing in age order, except tiny Rickon who was next to mom. Either way, Bran/Arya are probably a year apart regardless.

Hee!  Great Minds and all that.  I just looked it up.  Arya arrives late.  Ned takes her makeshift helmet off her and she takes her place by rudely shoving Bran over so she is standing beside her sister in the row.  That suggests she is older than Bran - by a bit at least. 

• Love 3

RAS, if memory serves me (and it often does not so take this with a grain of salt!), in the opening credits as we pan up North to The Wall, I am always surprised that it doesn't seem all that wide across it's breadth. And IIRC, there is water on both sides, but I could be wrong. I always think "geez, it doesn't look that long and can't folks get around the end parts anyways?" I am far too lazy to check it out, and the Nigeria Cup match awaits me, thus I must go post haste, but if anyone is so motivated to check, that'd be nifty!

Yeah, why go through all this Hell to cross the Wall when you can take a boat? Which reminds me: I'm glad Mance mentioned having other Wildlings climb the Wall at other abandoned parts of it. I was thinking how stupid it was to engage in battle when they all could have gone through the other empty castles. Or, is the only door at Castle Black?

I'm pretty sure Bran is younger than Arya. The problems is the actor looks around 16 or seventeen, and I think he's supposed to be a kid. Which is the same that's going to happen to Tommen. I know kids grow a LOT after puberty, but Tommen was supposed to be a little kid.

• Love 1
but Tommen was supposed to be a little kid.

Yup. A little boy who likes to sleep with his pussy...and I'm not talking about Marge...Although now that I think about it, grog jokes could be conjured here about Pussy Past & Present v. Pussy Future...just sayin'.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think Sansa was 13 in the pilot and Bran 10. So I suppose Arya was between them, because 9 would be very young. I think Sansa was 15, when she married Tyrion. So about three years have passed since the pilot (although the actors obviously look older).

Edited by arry the orphan
  • Love 1

Admittedly, it almost certainly means that The Hound is not going to die.  Arya walked away from him, but Brienne is still around there somewhere.  It's a pretty reliable standard in TV and movies to never trust an implied or offscreen death. 

I was initially concerned about that, but has that ever happened on GoT? We sure haven't seen Syrio since Arya fled the castle, and he was still standing when she left.

Very satisfying season finale. Very gritty fight between Brienne and the Hound, Arya making a conscious choice to step into independence, great moment of shock when the legions attacked the Wildlings (I kept studying the soldiers, thinking they were Whitewalkers but being puzzled by their discipline and also the lack of rotting flesh and visible bone), the heartbreak of Dany confining her puzzled, distressed dragons. I loved Meera shoving Jojen back rather than let him get near danger.

Arya not assisting the Hound didn't bother me at all. He's always been on her list, and while he might have helped her as he dragged her around looking for a reward, he also demonstrated his own needless cruelty, as when he beat and robbed that farmer who took them in. He may have been better than his brother, but he was still a danger to any innocent he took notice of. I was actually just impressed she had enough presence of mind to take his money.

• Love 2
A few harkenings to actual or battle-forged brotherhoods in the ep.  The Night's Watch; the Wildings; The Reeds and the Starks; the Baratheons and the Starks; Tyrion and Jaime.

Thanks for pointing out that the Stannis-Jon Snow exchange was a nod to the Baratheon-Stark alliance.  Baratheons and Starks have been on the same side for a lot of wars, now: Robert's Rebellion, the War against the Greyjoy Rebellion, the War of Five (or However Many) Kings, and now the War at the Wall (which I'm now going to say is a War against White Walkers, no longer a War against the Wildlings).  As long as you're a real Baratheon (and not a double-Lannister passing for a Baratheon), seems like you can get a Stark on your side pretty easily.

• Love 2