Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: Kei iho mai nei ko luna (Those Above Are Descending)

• Start Topic

I looked it up, and I think it's theoretically possible to free dive that far down, but it takes a lot of training and practice.  I don't think even a SEAL (ex-SEAL) could do it just on the spur of the moment (even though Steve had a little minute to 'rest' before he came back up.  I do give the episode props for creeping me out a little--I get a little claustrophobic when watching shows/movies with people trapped underwater.  I had to reverse the recording to figure out where Adam and the others were.  It looked like Steve had only brought tanks for Junior and Tani, but then I re-watched the part where he figured out the oxygen for 6 people.  I guess either Tani and Junior crawled back to share with the others.

I found the most interesting part was the very first scene.  I kept watching the pancakes (I had dinner, but I wanted pancakes when I saw them).  I watched the plate of pancakes change from ordinary flat cakes to big thick fluffy ones, then change back to flat, then back to fluffy as the scene cut from angle to angle.  Very entertaining.

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 2

Not the best episode. Books Rule's you are right. It had to be planned out in advance there. And not spur of the moment to free dive. But that is just TV

BTW pancakes look really good but did not think that Danny's was overly harsh. Just being cautious as Steve does not play it careful you know.

Notice usually it is Steve on the right and Danny on the left due to Steve driving and Danny riding shotgun in the frequent crime scenes. But when they walked in the beginning of the crime scene, it was the opposite. Kind of makes you wonder if Steve let Danny drive just to be nice over his concern of Grace? Would be nice!

Anyone who would legitimately send Adam to the bottom of the ocean should be stripped of any authority whatsoever.

I also can't buy that people on an ocean floor laboratory would turn to murder when we have a literal space station orbiting the planet for a very long time with also literally no instances of any violence. 

Also scientists don't kill people. 

I watch the show every week. I don't hate watch. I like most of the characters. It's a B movie. That's fine. This was dumb though. 

Also Tani? You're going a mile down under the water and you don't wear a hair cap? Even Adam for that matter. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
On 19/01/2019 at 3:26 AM, BooksRule said:

I kept watching the pancakes (I had dinner, but I wanted pancakes when I saw them).  I watched the plate of pancakes change from ordinary flat cakes to big thick fluffy ones, then change back to flat, then back to fluffy as the scene cut from angle to angle.  Very entertaining.

Heee! I just looked back and you're right - hilarious! Thin to fat to thin and I think it also went from four to three to four at various points. :)

And I stand corrected from my supposition last week - BW Manilowe was right - there clearly is still a place for further Grace appearances. I liked McG's goofy Uncle stuff at the beginning - very natural.

• Love 2

There HAS to be some kind of oxygen recycler (or some other device) that creates oxygen-- otherwise they would have run out a few hours after the mission started.  Maybe the killer wrecked it, but would it have killed them (heh) to go and look???? 

• Love 1

I don't expect this show to have a high level of technically accuracy, and sure, the suspense of being on an underwater base isn't that bad of a premise, but this really fell flat for me precisely because most people know we have a functioning space station, and they don't have any problems. It's too much of a suspension of disbelief, and I'm way way way lenient on that for this show. It might have worked better if Steve was undercover on a submarine and there was a suspected terrorist or something.

On January 20, 2019 at 1:16 AM, ganesh said:

I also can't buy that people on an ocean floor laboratory would turn to murder when we have a literal space station orbiting the planet for a very long time with also literally no instances of any violence. 

Didn't the murder happen because the scientist found out about the secret room? And the "plant" found out about it? It wasn't just that a scientist became violent for no reason.

I liked this episode, even if Adam's presence and Steve's free dive completely strained credulity. Beautiful photography!

@BW Manilowe, where is Jorge Garcia/Jerry? He's been missing for awhile, hasn't he? 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Moxie Cat said:

Didn't the murder happen because the scientist found out about the secret room? And the "plant" found out about it? It wasn't just that a scientist became violent for no reason.

I liked this episode, even if Adam's presence and Steve's free dive completely strained credulity. Beautiful photography!

@BW Manilowe, where is Jorge Garcia/Jerry? He's been missing for awhile, hasn't he?

I read he was filming a movie in Peru, or somewhere else in Central/South America. I’ll try to find a link & post it. I think he might’ve been more involved with it than just acting in it, but I can’t remember.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add boldface type.
  • Love 1
On 1/25/2019 at 8:19 PM, Moxie Cat said:

The film I previously mentioned was actually shot in Chile, not Peru (apologies). It will apparently be on Netflix at some point. Here are some other details about it from last October. I’m guessing this is where he’s been when he hasn’t been on H50 in recent eps.

I kind of feel sorry for Reed Diamond because as soon as I saw his name in the credits I knew he was going to be cast as Smug Prick #1, his perpetual role. Dude never gets to play a good guy although I guess he did kind of make nice at the end of the episode by covering the kid's medical bills.

The deep water was a harsh obstacle except for all the times it wasn't. Junior goes for a swim and has to extend it because he didn't look up before releasing that beacon but that's okay because Tani has been practicing her Navy SEAL skills and can swim out to him and drag his ass back. Steve can swim to and from the research station and to avoid the bends all he has to do is breathe out on his way back up. The team had to go slow when going down to the station so they could acclimate but the rescue team can be there in 15 minutes.

The murder was a little strange too. The gal who ended up being the murderer killed a dude and then somehow got him out of the place without anyone seeing her do it! She is also a great hijacker, knowing that using the axe to block the doors will give her enough time to get to the sub, dump all five full O2 tanks in there and get away before anyone can catch up to her. And despite being in the fetal position for most of the episode she also somehow manages to sabotage the station's O2 supply. Gal's a damn ninja.

13 hours ago, dwmarch said:

despite being in the fetal position for most of the episode she also somehow manages to sabotage the station's O2 supply.

I can actually fanwank that as she was faking how crippled she was.

That had to be one of the dumber episodes I have seen. When junior and the crew arrived did I hear right that there air supply was only 3% oxygen. Regular air is around 20% oxygen. Plus I think he also said the tehe majority of their air was helium, so why were they not talking in high pitched voices (that would have been hilarious).