Type keyword(s) to search

On The Radar (Sense): The Speculation Thread

I'm not particularly attached to this superhero or know it as well as I do Spider-Man and X-Men, but the cast is shaping up to be very interesting. As always, low expectations to see how they do this.

I've liked Charlie Cox in everything he has done more or less. I'll be interested to see how D'Onofrio does. I had mixed feelings about his acting in L&O: CI so we'll see how he plays Kingpin.

I'm not particularly attached to this superhero

I'm very attached to Daredevil, especially the Bendis/Maleev years. I'm crossing everything I can that this period will be featured in the show you have no idea ! Given that one of the other shows include Jessica Jones, created by Bendis, I'm hopeful like a child before christmas who really really really wants a bike. If I'm offered a skateboard, I will be disappointed.

At least at first. If it's brilliant regarding, I might learn to skate.

(morning metaphor before coffee = not good)

• Love 2

I think right now the only real question is whether the plotlines come from Bendis' run, or from Frank Miller's. Personally, I'm expecting a mishmash of the two.

Any speculation on who's gonna show up in the show? I figure Foggy Nelson's a lock, along with Ben Eurich, Bullseye, and Elektra (although I'm hoping they save her for the later episodes). I'm hoping they bring in Karen Page for his love interest, although that relationship's doomed to fail. (It would set up Season 2 as a live-action remake of Born Again, though....) And hey, since the show's set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, maybe they can talk Scarlett Johansson into doing an episode or two. Probably not, but you never know....

• Love 1

I'm hoping that  a nice mix of the best stories gets it's chance on the small screen. Personally, I loved the "Born Again" story; I felt it was so well presented. 

I am for Karen showing up, despite what the comics future had for her. This is tv, and as Arrow has shown, some tweaks are okay if done well.  As for Elektra, yeah- let's give her the space she's earned, and tell it well. As for Natasha? Until they can give Scarlett a good script, maybe have the form of a woman swingin' around Hell's Kitchen like Spidey?

Since they need Foggy, maybe a law school kid, not yet a  full-fledged lawyer, will show up and Foggy Nelson will help her with a summer internship or something. This baby lawyer's name? Jennifer Walters, the future She-Hulk!  Or possibly, Silver Sable can show up and we can get a street-level reaction to hired guns running around his neighborhood. It would also be sort of current, in that Sable is of the 1% and Matt is squarely on the side of the 99%, no matter his personal status ( not that Matt was ever 'money is my superpower' rich.)

Maybe there'll be a hotshot cop, a tall drink of water by the name of Misty Knight, who is partial to the lawyer and tolerant of the vigilante? Please?!?  I'll eat my veggies and say my prayers like Hulk (Hogan) instructed!

Maybe there'll be a hotshot cop, a tall drink of water by the name of Misty Knight, who is partial to the lawyer and tolerant of the vigilante? Please?!?  I'll eat my veggies and say my prayers like Hulk (Hogan) instructed!

I figure they're saving Misty Knight for the Luke Cage show, or maybe Iron Fist.

• Love 1

And hey, since the show's set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, maybe they can talk Scarlett Johansson into doing an episode or two. Probably not, but you never know....

I mentioned this in the media thread but I would love it if there was some kind of side story where Matt was doing some legal consulting work for a recently outed SHIELD spy (she had to testify before congress remember) and after that he ended up going on a few dates with her. But you only saw it from Matt's point of view, like he was telling Foggy about it at the office, and you never saw Scarlett Johansson, and Matt never mentioned Natasha by name.

• Love 2

I am not sure this would be the best show to do it, but since it is more of a street level regular person show it probably would. But either way I would love it if the MCU touched on how society and people's beliefs have changed since the battle of NY. One thing I liked about Man of Steel really touched on what aliens mean as far as people's beliefs and that sort of thing. To me the Marvel Movie universe it would be even more crazy. I mean not only are there aliens out there, but there is a god walking among us. And for the majority of the people out there the god on earth is not their god. I get a sense that would freak a lot of religious people out about that sort of thing. I know Matt Murdock in the comics was a Catholic so it might be something interesting to touch on.

• Love 1

Is it too early for Season 2 speculation?

Personally, I figure next season will focus mainly on a conflict between The Hand trying to take over Hell's Kitchen, and Fisk trying to reclaim his territory, which will bring both Elektra and Bullseye into the mix.

• Love 1

So, do we think that this, season 2, is when Fisk starts to dismantle Karen? Since he has the time and can reflect, he can run down who had the opportunity to shoot Wesley. I am surprised that Fisk's vehicles weren't outfitted with the latest GPS doohickey and a minion didn't get a read-out that Wesley was at Karen's and then the empty building. Then again, I watch a lot of  procedurals, so that may be erroneous. That or Wilson could receive the  info while incarcerated.  Wilson seems to multitask decently when focused.

Forgot to add:  I wouldn't be surprised if they use The Hand as the antagonist for Defenders.  Matt, Jessica, Luke, and Danny are not really the people who'd see fighting a cosmic or demonic threat.  The Hand, on the other hand, fits pretty squarely with this corner of the MCU, has the same mystical element that we saw a little bit of in Daredevil, and has connections to both Matt and Danny.

• Love 2

I thought that AKA was "Season 2", and any continuation of the Darwdevil story would be in cameos during the next few seasons and the Defenders.

[The next remarks are slightly off topic]

So, we're getting a new Spider-Man movie. I can't be the only one who feels a series might be a better way to reinvigorate the character instead of ANOTHER movie, can I? Also, Spidey was a Defender, so adding his story arc wouldn't be a stretch. Who's with me?

Edited by revbfc

I thought that AKA was "Season 2", and any continuation of the Darwdevil story would be in cameos during the next few seasons and the Defenders.

I'm pretty sure that isn't the way they're going to go, if for no other reason than it's not the kind of world-building they've done with their other properties.  Captain America might be an Avenger, but his other stories aren't really directly tied to them.  I don't know if that means they would jump directly into a new season of Daredevil without having filmed Defenders first, but that's not the next season of Daredevil's story.

When I first saw Leland Owlsley I was a little disappointed.  Sure the actor was fantastic in the role and the character was entertaining...but he just seemed a bit too old and physically docile to be the classic Owl from the comics.  Which is why I found it interesting that Leland Owlsley had a son who was mentioned twice in the series.  I could be wrong but I do not recall the Owl ever having mentioned having a son in the comics?  So it makes me wonder if it won't in fact be the son (was his name Leon?  I know it started with an L and was similar to his fathers name) who will becomes the actual supervillain known as the Owl,  Otherwise why bother to make repeated mention of him? 

On a different note...is it possible we have already seen Bullseye?  In "Condemned" while Fisk is chatting up our hero on coms...the viewer get to watch Fisk's sniper get set-up.  He opens up his bag and we see this.

Daredevil_Sniper.gif

That is a pretty prominent Ace of Spades patch which was deliberately placed in his bag for some reason.  Could it be that this sniper is actually going to become DD's archnemeis Bullseye?  You should also note that his face is completely obscured the entire time with a helmet. Which gives the series freedom to actually cast the part later with a big actor.

Edited by Xenith22

When I first saw Leland Owlsley I was a little disappointed.  Sure the actor was fantastic in the role and the character was entertaining...but he just seemed a bit too old and physically docile to be the classic Owl from the comics.  Which is why I found it interesting that Leland Owlsley had a son who was mentioned twice in the series.  I could be wrong but I do not recall the Owl ever having mentioned having a son in the comics?  So it makes me wonder if it won't in fact be the son (was his name Leon?  I know it started with an L and was similar to his fathers name) who will becomes the actual supervillain known as the Owl,  Otherwise why bother to make repeated mention of him?

I believe he called his son "Lee", which could easily be short for "Lieland". So yeah, I could easily see an Owl taking part in the gang war I'm expecting for season 2.
  • Love 1

I'm really curious the time-frame for season two. A.K.A. Jessica Jones is filming right now and probably won't premiere until late in the year. Then you have the other two shows' productions and their premieres probably wont' be until next year. We might not get the Defenders until 2017. And even though I imagine there could be some cameos here or there, how are you going to keep your cast in limbo for potentially two years? Will each Marvel show get renewed individually? 

• Love 1

AKA Jessica Jones is next in the queue, the least known of the MCU Defenders,(for the comics, I'm a Doctor Strange/ Namor/ Hulk/ Silver Surfer believer,) and the one for whom the backstory and power use will be the toughest to deal with, and budget for.

We've seen Daredevil.  This version barely has any "powers" at all.

Iron Fist has a mystical (magical/alien/other dimensional) flavor - but he can be boiled down to Martial Arts Guy with a super punch.

Luke Cage is basically a super-serum / centipede experiment - super strength, and 'unbreakable skin.'  Question for comic experts: bullets bounce, but do they bruise?

But JJ is an ex-super hero, who works as a private investigator, with clientele that includes other meta-humans.  She's basically a lower power Luke Cage, not as strong, (probably) can't shrug off bullets, BUT she can fly.  Either they drop the flight, making her a weaker version of LC, or this series gets the bulk of the CGI budget...

FOX having the rights to "mutant," (unless they're an Avenger, like Wanda and Pietro, but wasn't a founding X-Man, like Beast,) is the monkey wrench in MCU continuity.  (And whichever studio that has the Fantastic Four rights.)  Thank goodness that the Marvel Universe has so many nuts-in-power-suits to convert over to the MCU; Daredevil and Iron Fist can fight mooks and Ninjas, but Luke and Jessica will require more 'cinematic' villains.

Edited by Way Wes Jr