Type keyword(s) to search

CBS This Morning - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This is so disappointing. Anthony brings a stability and depth of knowledge about music, culture and history. I love his delivery and subtle sense of humor. I only know Nate from guest spots on this show- he seems intelligent and prepared, but he talks so fast and all Gayle can do the whole time he's there is talk about how good he looks and how great his outfit is.

The change I wish was happening was Gayle being replaced with Jerika.

I remain baffled by the dominance of the fluffy, annoying morning shows and hope that isn't the CBS plan 

• Love 7
21 hours ago, knitorpurl said:

I remain baffled by the dominance of the fluffy, annoying morning shows and hope that isn't the CBS plan 

I agree -- the main reason I watch CTM is the real news they provide (and the lack of cooking segments and shilling of movies produced by the parent company, etc.)

I will miss Anthony, though, and look forward to following him wherever he goes.  Nate has been pretty good in his guest spots ,and I hope he does well full-time.

• Love 2

Tony gave me a good laugh with his confusion this morning about the lyrics to the Beatles song, "A Little Help From My Friends" while they where talking about "The Wonder Years" reboot. And now I've had it stuck in my head all day.

First day without Anthony- sigh

• Love 1

You're not alone, junemeatcleaver- I watch the Saturday morning show most Saturdays.

Made me nervous when they started talking about a new format so considering what other changes they could have made this sounds ok. I'm curious to see how it plays out. Just keep it focused on the news, please.

• Love 2

Did anyone else watch? New shinier set, quicker pace all in Times Square. I'm trying to be positive because if this doesn't work I have no options in the morning. Nate seems fine. I really like Gayle but the ass kissing is already getting to me. Is she really in charge of everything there now?

• Love 1

I listened this morning more than watched; I hope to get used to that clunky chord between bits on the "your world in 90 seconds."   When I finally did get to watch, it was after 8 and they were in chairs.  I also really hope they still have the table for the hard news hour. Really can't handle GMA or Today, so I will have to learn to adapt or start to do without morning news.

• Love 1

I know Gayle's unpopular, but the show has a new Exec Producer since January and CBS News has two new co-heads as of April or so; and I'd bet the changes come more from that direction.  A press release from CBS News says that hard news will be key to the new format -- which makes me wonder what they consider hard news.

Press release: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-mornings-nate-burleson-gayle-king-tony-dokoupil/

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm traveling for work right now and have to be at the jobsite at 7am everyday so I've been missing this first week. They seriously had a DJ as part of the show, not as a guest? Please, say it isn't so. Has the first hour been more news as usual? 

• Love 1

There was indeed a DJ but not yesterday. Maybe they got immediate feedback on days 1 and 2. Thursday was a bit better in terms of less hype. Today will probably be more subdued because of 9/11. 

Seems to me they are trying to ride the coattails of the CBS Sunday Morning show, using their sun logo. They are just trying too hard - that's what it feels like to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

At long last Gayle's daughter, Kirby had the grandchild. And she got to show a couple of  pictures, which surprised me. But Gayle still had to gripe that she wasn't allowed to show the baby's face. You go, Kirby. I love how she and her husband hold their boundaries against the force that is Gayle.

• LOL 2

OK, I tried.  Am so disappointed now with this show.  Gayle is front and center and has to add her two cents to everything, even just reading a lead-in.  I could get over that but the mix of hard news and fluff has tipped way too far to the fluffy side.  Also don't appreciate that "Your world in 90 seconds"  now includes show previews thus cutting down on news snippets. The three leads are not working - this may reflect the deference the other two pay to central Gayle. I miss Anthony Mason, man of many parts and just the ticket to start your day.  

• Love 4

Agree with rcc that this is so fluffy now. Nate is fine but today he’s interviewing his own (lovely) kid about social media. This is your own business Nate, not news or info I need. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Maire said:

Agree with rcc that this is so fluffy now. Nate is fine but today he’s interviewing his own (lovely) kid about social media. This is your own business Nate, not news or info I need. 

Glad I missed it!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Maire said:

Nate is fine but today he’s interviewing his own (lovely) kid about social media. This is your own business Nate, not news or info I need. 

I don't understand why they had that interview. If all they do is interview each other and their friends/family there is little value. 

On a personal note, I think it is too bad that there's so much emphasis out there on being "pretty" or "beautiful" on social media. I'd like to hear more about cultivating a good personality, which will last longer than physical attractiveness.

• Love 3

They did a segment on robot pets this morning that was downright creepy.

I can actually see some therapeutic value of a slightly animatronic version for ill kids, elderly dementia patients, etc. But most of these are pet replacements that are actively tracking your behavior! And encouraging children and adults to become emotionally attached and compassionate to these electronics. 

But the creepiest of all were the round, gray fur pillows with the moving tails. There wasn't even an attempt at a face. Just a furry circle with a mechanical tail. So strange to think of cuddling up with that and considering it with the same regard I do my cat!

• Love 1

Gayle was on Steve Colbert last night, though it was filmed a month ago, sharing her thoughts on any further stay-at-home precautions  due to covid. She said she just wasn’t going to do that.  She just HAD to work in the studio with her colleagues. She loves being there.  And that we (citizens) just had to just figure out how to live our lives with covid doing things normally, regardless.  I had a few thoughts…..when you have covid, you can’t show up to work and expose other people.  And, if numbers in the ER and ICU are too too high, they must be brought down or it’s too much for hospitals to handle.  I just wondered if Gayle gets that? She does read stuff right…..hmmmm…  She seemed so naive. As if, she didn’t work in a news room. Lol

I also wondered if this was a dig at Oprah.  I sensed she was weary of Oprah’s covid rules.  With Gayle’s new grandchild, wouldn’t she be eager to spend more time with the baby?  Why not retire and use your time with family, friends, interests and not worry with working in the studio with added exposure?  

I suppose I’ve never taken Gayle seriously in her position at CBS Mornings, News……whatever it is.  Oh, last night she said ratings were up. Really?  Lol🥴

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

No sign of Gayle today….which is a good thing.  She wasn’t even mentioned.  I wonder what it would take for her to graciously decide to leave…I mean, CBS can’t actually fire her, right?  

The team seemed well, but all that walking around….man, they are really trying hard. It’s apparent they feel silly doing it.  

• Love 1

I started watching this show last fall.  I recorded it a few times and decided I liked the format and the anchors so stuck with it.  I blacklisted GMA and the Today show years ago when they got too full of themselves and they presented no news, just fluff stuff.  I watched Morning Joe for a while but got tired of Joe going off the rails so often.  I actually like Gayle.  Yes, she is opinionated but a lot of times I agree with her.  I am amused that she is actively searching for a man friend on air.  Seems like that topic comes up weekly.  And, I like Nate and Tony but wish they would speak up more.  I also enjoy the Saturday morning show and anchors.   Of course, CBS Sunday Morning is like an old shoe I have worn for many years that still fits and is comfortable.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I watch this show occasionally and was a little surprised at the team’s response to the news story about Mike Tyson assaulting that guy on a plane. (Gayle was not there that day.) One of them commented about how you shouldn’t  mess around with a heavy weight, like Mike.   They all agreed and laughed…it seemed they were implying the guy deserved it ……..it really surprised me that they had such a response, especially since the Chris Rock incident.  I never saw they got any blow back from it though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/19/2022 at 12:08 PM, Medicine Crow said:

Poor Gail, just saw her "reporting" from the Queen's funeral.  So pathetically inept!!

Does she know and is playing ignorant or has she convinced herself?  

• LOL 1

Good for Vlad and his wife expecting a baby, but this show seems to be making this a regular segment - today Vlad and Tony went looking at baby gear at Target, followed by a segment on what stuff to include in the baby registry. News? I guess that's why they changed the name of the show. 

• Sad 1

I checked this show out today, along with ABC and NBC.   Too many commercials. Omg……they have no shame.  All 3 are that way.  

I guess bright yellow is the new trend color this winter.  Lol. To me it’s stealing from spring.  

I am enjoying the other co-hosts!  They are delightful.  One is Tony and the other one I don’t recognize.  I can’t find his name….Nate must be out today.  I haven’t seen him yet.  

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I checked this show out today, along with ABC and NBC.   Too many commercials. Omg……they have no shame.  All 3 are that way.  

I guess bright yellow is the new trend color this winter.  Lol. To me it’s stealing from spring.  

I am enjoying the other co-hosts!  They are delightful.  One is Tony and the other one I don’t recognize.  I can’t find his name….Nate must be out today.  I haven’t seen him yet.  

That's David Begnaud & he does really good human interest pieces & reports often from "the scene".  Well-spoken & very funny!!!

• Like 3

I like Michael B. Jordan a lot, but I think he's being a little disingenuous when he says that he never thought that directing would be "an option" for him, due to his age, race, background, etc. He's been in the business for years, working with multiple directors on varied projects. In all that time he never considered that he would want to direct and figured out what he'd need to do to accomplish that? It's been kind of a cliche over the past 40 years or so for actors/actresses to say that their future plans involve directing, and a lot of them do, even if they don't have "directing" backgrounds. Look at Elizabeth Banks, for example - she doesn't seem like the stereotypical "director" type, but she seems to be building up a good body of work. 

• Like 1