Type keyword(s) to search

Stargate SG-1 - General Discussion

Aethera
  • Start Topic

I could swear that Michael DeLuise  made another appearance before Wormhole Extreme. Graduating from a machine gunner guarding the gate he was a substitute SG-1 member in season 2 episode 15. The Fifth Race. I guess since he had no dialog he was not credited. I wonder if there had been some discussion of an airman being the leak after leaving the service to become an actor.

Back to the what order to watch, it seems that when Stargate first went to a streaming service some second season episodes around 15, 16 and 17 came in a different order from the original Showtime broadcast.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

I could swear that Michael DeLuise  made another appearance before Wormhole Extreme. Graduating from a machine gunner guarding the gate he was a substitute SG-1 member in season 2 episode 15. The Fifth Race. I guess since he had no dialog he was not credited. I wonder if there had been some discussion of an airman being the leak after leaving the service to become an actor.

David DeLuise was Pete Shanahan in several episodes.

Peter DeLuise wrote and directed for the franchise, but also appeared as:
image.png.87d29f096819a199f35fd9ec316c9a0a.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1

Exclusive: New Stargate Series Being Discussed At Netflix

...a new Stargate series is being talked about over at Netflix. The real intriguing wrinkle here is that this would actually be an animated series. Exactly what the nature of the story would be is unclear. We aren’t able to confirm whether or not this series would take place in the regular continuity of the franchise or if this animated series would constitute a reboot of the property....

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Also from that article:

If an animated series on Netflix would be the absolute best way to get that ball rolling, then we hope it can get past the developmental stage and start coming into reality

What exactly does "developmental stage" and "being discussed" mean? 
Could the author of the piece have just run after some franchise-adjacent person on the street and asked about the possibility? 
And, yes, I studied at the Jack O'Neill School of Skeptics. Why do you ask?

But moving on to speculation:

12 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

The real intriguing wrinkle here is that this would actually be an animated series.

My immediate reaction to "would actually be an animated series" was:
Pffft. Animated? So NOT "intriguing."
But if RDA, Michael Shanks, AT, CJ, et al. would do the voices, sign me up --for at least the first episode.
But that seems highly unlikely. 
Right?

And "animated" still means cartoons, right? Not live-action humans CGIed to look like the original cast? 
And/or can they modify voices to sound like the original cast?

BTW, @aquarian1, is making large fonts a Moderator-only ability?

• Love 2

Hm... animated. Not ideal, but better then nothing. I still wouldn't watch a reboot though. It'll have to be in cannon. And obviously better (though I never saw it) then the one that that already exists. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Also from that article:

My immediate reaction to "would actually be an animated series" was:
Pffft. Animated? So NOT "intriguing."
But if RDA, Michael Shanks, AT, CJ, et al. would do the voices, sign me up --for at least the first episode.
But that seems highly unlikely. 
Right?

And "animated" still means cartoons, right? Not live-action humans CGIed to look like the original cast? 
And/or can they modify voices to sound like the original cast?

BTW, @aquarian1, is making large fonts a Moderator-only ability?

Perhaps but Netflix recently had an animated WWII memoir miniseries The Liberator in Triscope. Where the actors worked on a soundstage, instead of the Toronto woods of Stargate for instance, and everything was animated around them so the cost was a fraction of what the Band of Brothers cost

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Anduin said:

But we still have to worry about the Goa'uld, right?

I'm in season 3 I missed most of it in syndication. I had no ideal he returned from the dead so many times. I am halfway surprised at this point that Ba'al was the last system lord and not Apophis 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Raja said:

I'm in season 3 I missed most of it in syndication. I had no ideal he returned from the dead so many times. I am halfway surprised at this point that Ba'al was the last system lord and not Apophis 

Yes. As much as I like Ba'al, I was always expecting Apophis to come back sooner or later. Maybe semi-replicated or something. Though that would be getting into Borg territory.

(edited)

I'm liking this graphic promoting a new SG-1 game from Astrokings, not least because of the prominence given to the Little Doc and St. George, the heart and soul of the SGC. (Note the presence of the emetic Vala and absence of O'Neill. I guess RDA wasn't down with being part of a video game. Perhaps that Stargate SG-1 slot machine, an epic fail, soured him on such things.) Video spots on YouTube give greatest prominence to Carter and Teal'c. Make of that what you will.

astrokings-banner_wide.jpg

Edited by Idiotboy
Because bad grammar sux.
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Idiotboy said:

I'm liking this graphic promoting a new SG-1 game from Astrokings, not least because of the prominence given to the Little Doc and St. George, the heart and soul of the SGC. (Note the presence of the emetic Vala and absence of O'Neill. I guess RDA wasn't down with being part of a video game. Perhaps that Stargate SG-1 slot machine, an epic fail, soured him on such things.) Video spots on YouTube give greatest prominence to Carter and Teal'c. Make of that what you will.

astrokings-banner_wide.jpg

There was a slot machine? I love Stargate, but a slot machine would bring me no greater understanding or enjoyment of the universe. In fact it would diminish my enjoyment at the same rate as my money.

As for who's included, I suppose Claudia Black was up for it. She's done a lot more geek stuff than RDA. Clearly she enjoys it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Yes, Atronic put out an SG-1 slot. I've played it. Considering that Atronic had access to eight seasons' worth of intellectual property, their use of it (particularly the bonuses) was very, very disappointing. There was also a Stargate pinball machine, which is much more fun to play. You can experience it at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas, with which I have no connection, other than I used to love going there when I lived in LV.

• Love 1

I just got to the season 5 premiere and there was evidence of the two season at a time buys that Showtime made. Suddenly you had Tea'lc using "human" instead of Tau'ri. Also "bugs" instead of replicators as they seemed to be reintroducing concepts instead of rolling on with 4 years worth of universe building.

With General Ryan's cameo in season 4 I would guess that only JAG came close as a show with cooperation  from the US military

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Amazon just bought Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer for $8.45 billion. This improves Brad Wright and Joe Mallozzi's chances of getting an SG-1 follow-up green lit. Amazon now owns the IP and would presumably want a tentpole attraction for Amazon Prime video streaming. In short, everybody's bread is buttered. Wright has been dropping heavy hints about a new Stargate franchise and we may know more in his forthcoming podcast with Amanda Tapping.

The latter has said that she's been approached about appearing on a hypothetical SG-1 series. She says that, purely speculatively, she'd be open to guest appearances as "Supersonic General Carter" but is more interested in producing and directing (she's currently a supervising producer on Motherland: Fort Salem), and thinks it's time for a new generation of actors to step into the boots of the Fab Four. Personally I'd like to see Tapping inherit Don S. Davis' office but we must all possess our souls in patience until or if a new series is announced.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Idiotboy said:

Amazon just bought Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer for $8.45 billion. This improves Brad Wright and Joe Mallozzi's chances of getting an SG-1 follow-up green lit. Amazon now owns the IP and would presumably want a tentpole attraction for Amazon Prime video streaming. In short, everybody's bread is buttered. Wright has been dropping heavy hints about a new Stargate franchise and we may know more in his forthcoming podcast with Amanda Tapping.

The latter has said that she's been approached about appearing on a hypothetical SG-1 series. She says that, purely speculatively, she'd be open to guest appearances as "Supersonic General Carter" but is more interested in producing and directing (she's currently a supervising producer on Motherland: Fort Salem), and thinks it's time for a new generation of actors to step into the boots of the Fab Four. Personally I'd like to see Tapping inherit Don S. Davis' office but we must all possess our souls in patience until or if a new series is announced.

Thanks for posting this, not-an-@Idiotboy! I'd heard about the Amazon take-over of MGM, but didn't consider the Stargate connection. 
It sounds like Amanda Tapping is every bit as smart as Sam Carter. 
And "Supersonic General Carter" is LOL in a good way.

• Love 2

Brad Wright is leaving a trail of bread crumbs about the new (we hope) series. He's written dialogue for Daniel, Mitchell and O'Neill, and says that Carter is now head of Home World Security (which presumably means we'll see her too). On his latest podcast on "The Companion," he and Amanda Tapping have quite a time slagging Emancipation, for which Wright apologizes and they agree would have worked much better as a musical.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm really hoping Amazon does make a new show!

I want to see Sam as the leader of the SGC. As well as appearances from other characters (like Daniel). But I imagine the show would feature new characters, new team and a new story set in the same universe. 

• Love 2

My personal Great Rewatch has finally reached Season 10 and, man, is it a slog. The incorporation of Vala as a regular is, I firmly maintain, a fatal mistake, what with Claudia Black's insufferable mugging and the deafening clangor as TPTB determinedly try to pound a square peg into a round hole. Then there are the B'Ori. Despite attempts to equate them with the Nazis (book burnings, mass murders), they remain a primarily cerebral threat, one that must constantly be explained. TPTB hit home runs with the Goa'uld and the Wraith but bombed dismally with the B'Ori. Perhaps the nadir is reached in Line in the Sand where the episode hinges on an obscure argle-bargle between two guest characters, fer chrissakes, Vala's husband Ptomaine and the Prior of the Week:

Ptomaine: The Book of Origin says X!

Prior: No, the Book of Origin says Y!

Ptomaine: Certs is a breath mint!

Prior: Certs is a candy mint!

Ptomaine: Tastes great!

Prior: Less filling!

Or something even less edifying. Except for The Road Not Taken I can't think of one S10 episode that would qualify as Classic Stargate. If and when SG-1 is rebooted, I hope that Brad Wright A) eschews low comedy and B) comes up with a new, visceral menace to the galaxy. Had their been an eleventh season of the Not So Fab Five and the B'Ori I'm not sure how we would have endured it.

• Love 4

B'Ori? Do you mean the Ori. I'm not sure what the B stands for. 

I agree that adding Vala as an SG-1 member made no sense and was a mistake. They could have kept her as as a recurring character and brought it down a bit. There are episodes I have only watched once and skip on rewatches. The one with her father being a big one.

• Love 3
On 6/16/2021 at 11:17 AM, Idiotboy said:

Then there are the B'Ori. Despite attempts to equate them with the Nazis (book burnings, mass murders), they remain a primarily cerebral threat, one that must constantly be explained.

3 hours ago, blueray said:

B'Ori? Do you mean the Ori. I'm not sure what the B stands for. 

Hah! Pretty sure @Idiotboy meant the Ori were Bo-o-o-ring.

• Love 1

"B'Ori" is a TWOP carryover, as I believe the term was coined on that forum. blueray mentioned the Fred Willard episode, which I don't believe I've ever seen but was notable in that it was the one on which TPTB were working when they call the call from SyFy: "Congratulations on your 200th episode. By the way, you're cancelled." Stay classy, SyFy.

To wax positive now, Brad Wright's "The Companion" podcast with Ben Browder is well worth hearing, as Browder is a thoughtful individual (a similar chat with Michael Shanks left me feeling unedified) and talks about his work as a writer on Farscape. I thought Browder was always terrific on Stargate, and TPTB's conception of Mitchell and integration of him into SG-1 was the sterling achievement of S9-10. When he is occasionally juxtaposed with RDA onscreen, Browder does not suffer by the inevitable comparison. Anyway, if you don't want to subscribe to "The Companion" (I did and it's a good investment), abridged versions of the Brad Wright podcasts are available on the site for free. Listen away!

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Idiotboy said:

I thought Browder was always terrific on Stargate, and TPTB's conception of Mitchell and integration of him into SG-1 was the sterling achievement of S9-10. When he is occasionally juxtaposed with RDA onscreen, Browder does not suffer by the inevitable comparison.

I agree. Part of why I resent Vala is that she took time and focus away from Mitchell, who was the leader of the frickin' team!

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Idiotboy said:

I thought Browder was always terrific on Stargate, and TPTB's conception of Mitchell and integration of him into SG-1 was the sterling achievement of S9-10. When he is occasionally juxtaposed with RDA onscreen, Browder does not suffer by the inevitable comparison.

ITA! Thanks for succinctly expressing this. It makes me think seasons 9-10 might at least be worth FFing to get to  Browder’s scenes. I detested the Ori, and Not in the villain-I-love-to-hate way. 
Actually, the episodes of those seasons that are not Ori-focused are quite good. 

• Love 2

I just got to Wormhole Extreme, it works even better having seen all the episodes and not just hit of miss syndicated reruns.

Even without knowing the show having the producer lining out story items for his budget,  Michael Deluise playing Nick Marlow who was playing "Colonel Danning" as James Kirk not Jack O'Neill, the N.I.D Men in Black along with an Agent Smith, the show was firing on all cylinders. 

So does anyone have an answer on why out of phase science fiction characters don't phase through the floor? 🤷‍♂️

• LOL 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Raja said:

So does anyone have an answer on why out of phase science fiction characters don't phase through the floor? 🤷‍♂️

I don't. I wish I knew. Maybe they are weightless? But then they should float? The whole thing makes very little sense if any at all.

Or they stand on the out-of-phase floor and we perceive it as "our" floor?

Edited by supposebly

There was a lot of out-of-phase stuff in S10 by which time they were just handwaving it. I believe the "Wormhole X-treme" reference is to Amanda Tapping querying that very story point during the filming of "Crystal Skull."

BTW, somehow I missed the S10 episode "Bad Company" when it originally aired and it's a winner. The Martin Gero/Ben Browder-penned scenario has SG-1 (minus Carter) trapped on the wrong side of a wormhole in an unintended first-contact situation that goes terribly awry. It harkens back to the halcyon days of Stargate (S1-5), for which I am grateful.

• Love 1

No it's not Daniel/Vala shippy at all (thank God). The writing for Claudia Black is actually pretty good, one obligatory sex joke aside, and she gets to McGyver a malfunctioning stargate using a naquadah bomb as fuel. (Yes, I really just wrote that sentence.) Daniel and Teal'c are mostly tasked with babysitting some hostages. This is borderline spoiler-y but maybe you will want to watch it now.

Galaxy Con is selling live video chats with Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks and Ben Browder. Tapping's are the most expensive BUT they are selling out faster. The Grand High Empress of Sci-Fi still has her mojo. YES!

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Idiotboy said:

Daniel and Teal'c are mostly tasked with babysitting some hostages. This is borderline spoiler-y but maybe you will want to watch it now.

Wait - there's Daniel/Teal'c? Then yeah, I wanna watch.

$175 to talk to MS for 2 minutes? Once upon a time I would have been tempted.

I subscribed to The Companion, although I have no idea when I'll find time for it.

Edited by marina to
Galaxy Con pricing!
  • Love 1
On 6/22/2021 at 7:02 PM, marina to said:

You mean Bad Guys? It's the only one in season 10 that I haven't seen but was thinking about. Heard there was a lot of Daniel/Vala stuff which made me want to skip it.

That's actually a good episode. But the one thing that always bothers me is: 

Spoiler

Why was Daniel with Teal'c with the hostages instead of looking for the dhd display in the museum. It seems like him and Cam should be reversed. However since this is the case Vala and Daniel actually barely have scenes together.

• Love 1
(edited)

Did anyone else watch the Galaxy Con live chat with Michael Shanks, Ben Browder & Amanda Tapping? IMO, it was a blast: loose, revelatory and convivial. What did you guys think?

Suggestions for finishing S10: Watch Talion (it's a Jaffa revenge thing, as O'Neill would say), skip Family Ties, see Dominion (Adria gets snaked by Ba'al), then leapfrog straight over the unbearably depressing Unending to The Ark of Truth, which finishes off the B'Ori once and for all.

Last thought about the Ori, prompted some some expository B'Ori blather in Talion: If I could explain to Brad Wright (since Cooper is a lost cause) why the B'Ori flopped as the Big Bad it would be really simple. The Goa'uld put a snake in your head. The Wraith devoured you. The Replicators killed you. All pretty primal. The B'Ori needed (we were endlessly told) to be worshipped by people so they could become fully Ascended and overthrow the Ancients blah blah blah. If you have to keep explaining a threat, it's not much of a threat. To prove my point I would note that RCC revived the Replicators for Ark of Truth and they were much the scarier menace. End of rant. End of S10.

Edited by Idiotboy
  • Love 1
On 6/27/2021 at 2:48 PM, Idiotboy said:

Suggestions for finishing S10: Watch Talion (it's a Jaffa revenge thing, as O'Neill would say), skip Family Ties, see Dominion (Adria gets snaked by Ba'al), then leapfrog straight over the unbearably depressing Unending to The Ark of Truth, which finishes off the B'Ori once and for all.

I heard Talion was Teal'c being not-Teal'c but if you approve I'll watch it.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Idiotboy said:

Brad Wright seems to think so.

So nothing official then? Well, I do know that he isn't the only one but I doubt that it will be some time later on. Right now, Amazon is trying to make a Lord of the Ring series and from what I heard, it's plague with problems. 

Just made it to the 2 part SyFy premiere. The introduction of Anubis didn't seem like a possible series finale in the last Showtime episodes but he was menacing in his first open attempt to knock out earth. 

But still the tone seemed off. Then again I said the same thing about the every other year season premieres from the Showtime 2 year buys. I had not realized that Jonas Quinn was a minor superhuman. First picked up on Dr. Jackson's work  in a short time and then as a beginning boxer we are lead to believe (off screen) that he put Teal'c  down

On 7/6/2021 at 10:02 PM, Idiotboy said:

Peter Deluise once said that "On Stargate the squeaky wheel doesn't get the grease. The squeaky wheel doesn't get re-hired." Such was the fate of Jessica Steen (Dr. Weir 1.0). Also, tangentially, Martin Wood has reobtained the IP rights to Sanctuary. Primetimer doesn't have a Sanctuary thread so I thought I'd just mention it here.

Hide contents

Interesting. She went a little method and it wasn't the right approach, plus other commitments to Burning Man. I actually worked for a local spinoff of Burning Man a few years back. Met some good people. But also some idiots.

Anyway, I liked her because I knew her from Earth 2. While Torri Higginson was fine, Atlantis never clicked for me like SG1 did.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Atlantis never clicked for me like SG1 did.

I still recall the rush I felt at the first opening sequence of the city rising out of the sea.
Unfortunately, that was the peak of the show for me --and I watched all of it, plus SGU.

• Love 3
On 7/16/2021 at 1:56 PM, Raja said:

Just made it to the 2 part SyFy premiere. The introduction of Anubis didn't seem like a possible series finale in the last Showtime episodes but he was menacing in his first open attempt to knock out earth. 

But still the tone seemed off. Then again I said the same thing about the every other year season premieres from the Showtime 2 year buys. I had not realized that Jonas Quinn was a minor superhuman. First picked up on Dr. Jackson's work  in a short time and then as a beginning boxer we are lead to believe (off screen) that he put Teal'c  down

Jonas..  The dumbest way to bring a character on to a show to take the place of a departing actor/character ever.  First have him party to the death of the departing character ( and not in a positive way).  Then make him so super intelligent that he can just absorb alll pf Daniel's knowledge in a couple of months of reading.  Ugh.

I've always thought that how they brought Mitchell on was heavily influenced by lessons learned with Jonas. Saved SG-1.  SG-1 superfan being his two earliest character beats.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:42 PM, Anduin said:

Interesting. She went a little method and it wasn't the right approach, plus other commitments to Burning Man. I actually worked for a local spinoff of Burning Man a few years back. Met some good people. But also some idiots.

Anyway, I liked her because I knew her from Earth 2. While Torri Higginson was fine, Atlantis never clicked for me like SG1 did.

I liked her from Homefront and Earth 2.  But after that article, I don't really blame them for going another way.  TV show filming is not short days.  If she can't get through one episode without lying about why she needs to leave early then it makes sense not to hire her for a series commitment.  She didn't even seem to bother to keep it to herself so they didn't find out about her lying.

• Love 3

I think that this is the first time that I have seen S6E8 The Other Guys.  With Drs. Felger and Coombs it was up there with Wormhole Extreme. I would like to think it did happen even as Major Carter moved in to Felger for the thankyou  kiss.