Type keyword(s) to search

Queen Of The South - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I did go into this thinking everyone would die, but about half way through (and lets be honest when both Pote and Marcel didn't get hit by the machine gun of bullets) I started to think, yup they will live and Teresa will show up somewhere.  I was under the impression that Samara was there to talk to the initial cops, I don't know that every single cop was in on it so they needed a witness, someone who wouldn't lie for her.  While I have to say I wasn't sure I wanted a happy ending for this show, just seems to cliche, I am kind of happy to see them all together, and slightly jealous of the beach house lol.

• Love 1

Was it clear who James shot? Unless I missed it, I didn't see Teresa take off a bulletproof vest. In the morgue, we saw "Teresa" on the slab and then in the flashback, we see the paid off medical examiners and Teresa standing in the back, so who took the bullet? 

21 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Was it clear who James shot? Unless I missed it, I didn't see Teresa take off a bulletproof vest. In the morgue, we saw "Teresa" on the slab and then in the flashback, we see the paid off medical examiners and Teresa standing in the back, so who took the bullet? 

I think he only shot the cocaine box, and everything else was staged. 

I love that Pote's first priority after getting out of jail was to get behind a stove. That was so in character!

I thought everyone got what was coming to them, more or less. I thought the fight between Boaz and Pote was a bit ridiculous—after Boaz got stabbed, his men should have gunned down Pote and Chicho, but okay, Pote needs his HEA, and there was no reason Chicho shouldn't have gotten one, too. But it would have made more sense to me for Duval to shoot Boaz, given what a loose cannon Boaz was and that he couldn't be trusted as far as one could throw him. Also, does Duval not know Boaz? "Discreet" isn't in his vocabulary!

But it was a decent wrap-up overall. Though I hope Lena can go to school and have some social interaction with her peers. Otherwise she's in for a very lonely life.

Wherever that beach location was, it's gorgeous. The house is pretty dreamy, too.

• Love 2

That finale seemed pretty uninspired. I expected better. Personally, I would have still killed Teresa at the end - some anvils need to be dropped: you can't really play with fire (well, drugs) and not get burned. Another nice idea would be her going full circle and ending up alone in Mexico without money or connections (which realistically would most likely also mean death).

It feels like there was a weird unexplained change of her personality mid-season: she was getting all ruthless (which makes sense after Tony's death) and then she's all "I'm getting out" and exchanging "I love yous" with James. Maybe the writers got a heads-up that they were getting canceled and had to wrap it up? Or was Kelly Ann's pregnancy supposed to influence her view of the world? If so, that wasn't translated well on-screen.

But yeah, the first three seasons of the show were much better, overall. I think there was a showrunner change somewhere around that time.

• Love 1

I didn't think they would kill Teresa off at this point, I kept waiting for her to show up again alive after faking her own death and low and behold. I am torn on Teresa and most of the main cast surviving. On the one hand, it really takes away from the tragedy that has always been hanging over the show, that Teresa would claw her way to the top only to tragically fall after becoming like the very people that ruined her life, making Teresa something of a tragic hero doomed to cause her own destruction. One of the things that made the pilot so memorable is the flashforward where Teresa was killed, it was such a sharp punch in the gut, so making it all a fake out makes some of that feel cheap. Narrator Teresa playing the "from a certain point of view" card can feel like the show lost its edge and has been taking us on a ride. I also wish that we had more of Teresa in this episode. I know why they couldn't have much of her, as they kept it a secret that she was alive until the last minute, but it is her show and it sucks that she was hardly there for the last episode. 

On the other hand, I didn't actually want Teresa to die after everything she had been through, and it was nice to see her returning to her wavy hair, saying goodbye to the Queenpin once and for all after spending all season fighting with the guilt trips her older self kept giving her after finally willingly walking away. After everything, she realized that what she really wanted was the family she lost, not the power she thought she needed. Everyone's endings did feel earned, the crew living at that amazing beach house was sweet to see, especially Pote reuniting with Kelly Ann and their adorable daughter. This season was rather hit or miss, but I am satisfied by this ending. They built a lot of suspense and the payoff felt worth everything it took to get there. 

I wish they hadn't killed Pote and Kelly Ann's neighbor though. In an episode that gave about every likable character a happy ending, that felt rather mean spirited. 

• Love 3
On 6/11/2021 at 12:29 PM, tennisgurl said:

I wish they hadn't killed Pote and Kelly Ann's neighbor though. In an episode that gave about every likable character a happy ending, that felt rather mean spirited. 

Those were Devon's guys, right? Killing the neighbor seemed rather sloppy, given that the guys were just looking around outside. Had he seen them breaking into the house, that would be a bit more justified. But I guess we had to know they meant business.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I didn't think they would kill Teresa off at this point, I kept waiting for her to show up again alive after faking her own death and low and behold. I am torn on Teresa and most of the main cast surviving. On the one hand, it really takes away from the tragedy that has always been hanging over the show, that Teresa would claw her way to the top only to tragically fall after becoming like the very people that ruined her life, making Teresa something of a tragic hero doomed to cause her own destruction. One of the things that made the pilot so memorable is the flashforward where Teresa was killed, it was such a sharp punch in the gut, so making it all a fake out makes some of that feel cheap. Narrator Teresa playing the "from a certain point of view" card can feel like the show lost its edge and has been taking us on a ride. I also wish that we had more of Teresa in this episode. I know why they couldn't have much of her, as they kept it a secret that she was alive until the last minute, but it is her show and it sucks that she was hardly there for the last episode. 

Yep. I love Pote, but I was not expecting the series finale to be the Pote hour. 

On the main crew almost all making it out alive,  I wonder if the showrunners felt like they had boxed themselves in. We barely saw Teresa as the Queen (at this point, she’s been on the beach longer than she ran the cartel), and she was miserable all season. She may have smiled once or twice, but I think the only time she looked happy was when she was having sex. So, killing her wouldn’t have been satisfying (to me) because we never saw her enjoy her life. I kind of feel the same way about James and Pote dying. Both would have been devastating for Teresa, and I didn’t really need to see her suffer another devastating loss. With KellyAnne, they really leaned in to the Pote and KellyAnne relationship and made her pregnant, so I again think they didn’t want to kill her under those circumstances.

So, we end up with everyone carefree on the beach lol! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Devon, ugh. I wish James would've taken him out on his way out.

Whoa, guess I was wrong about the Little Rock neighbor guy. He got killed just for being friendly.

After all the crimes he'd committed, Pote got taken down by a random flat tire. Geez.

Por Terésa, cabrón! Finally someone managed to kill that psycho Boaz.

Good man, Chicho. Loyal to the end. Too bad he got left behind though.

Wow, Teresa did Dumas a huge solid. Not sure he deserved it but okay.

Pote and KA made a beautiful kid.

I KNEW IT! Surprised she ended up back with James but he definitely came through for her and Pote. Aw, and they all lived happily ever after. 🙄

I really appreciate this show keeping me on the edge of my seat until near the end. There have been some ups and downs but for the most part I think it's been a good run.

(On reddit they're clamoring for a sixth season. Ehhh, I think the aactors probably want to move on to other things.)

I could actually be tempted to watch a Marcel spinoff, as I think the actor is excellent.

Same. I would watch that if the story was about something other than drug cartels.

I really didn't like so much time being spent on Pote and Kelly Anne in the final season. They were not my favorites. I was not interested in the baby drama, and all the time wasted on them felt like filler. More time should have been spent fleshing out the relationship between Teresa and James.