Type keyword(s) to search

The Great British Sewing Bee - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Is that Kiell Smith-Bynoe, from the British show "Ghosts"? I really didn't like his character on the few episodes we saw, he never closed his mouth, it was off putting. Hopefully it was just for that character and not how he is in real life. I liked Joe as the host.

Edited by Deskisamess
  • Like 1
On 5/19/2024 at 1:56 AM, Deskisamess said:

Is that Kiell Smith-Bynoe, from the British show "Ghosts"? I really didn't like his character on the few episodes we saw, he never closed his mouth, it was off putting. Hopefully it was just for that character and not how he is in real life. I liked Joe as the host.

It is, and I quite like him too. So far, he isn't as slapstick as some of the others (this show has had a lot of hosts, hasn't it?). I hope he gets to try on a few pieces at some point during the series - the equivalent of Bake Off hosts having a nibble surely is a Sewing Bee host who occasionally dons a creation? That has always been missing for me.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Aulty said:

It is, and I quite like him too. So far, he isn't as slapstick as some of the others (this show has had a lot of hosts, hasn't it?). I hope he gets to try on a few pieces at some point during the series - the equivalent of Bake Off hosts having a nibble surely is a Sewing Bee host who occasionally dons a creation? That has always been missing for me.

I liked him, too, and wasn't sure what to expect. I prefer his lower-key humor and calm presence (so far, anyway).

I was worried after the pattern challenge, but several of the sewers stepped up nicely later on. Not sure I agreed with outfit of the week, but the right person went home.

• Like 2

Patrick remains the swooniest, dark beard to gray mustache! But why no flashbacks of Esme?! Golly, no one finished the first challenge, and many did not finish the made-to-measure. Hope this crew can pick up the pace. 

Don't know anything about Kiell, but I do prefer a host who can really bring out Patrick and Esme's playful side, and so far, Kiell is pretty stolid and low key, but I will reserve my judgement. 

• Like 2

I finally managed to watch today and I quite like Kiell, these shows work best when the host can converse with the contestants so we get to know them without impeding them. Speaking of which...

Ok, Janet 😂

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1

I was surprised that no one finished the pattern challenge. This seems to imply the time frame was a bit too short. I think the time could be lengthened a bit, especially with not one of them finishing. 

Some of the mistakes are very telling, and such erratic top stitching sure makes it seem like some of these sewists have very limited experience. Top stitching with special topstitch thread requires larger needles and longer stitch length,  and it can be  difficult on thick fabric using sub-par machines.

I also wonder about the quality of the machines they use. Buttonholes on layers of denim will be impossible on low quality machines.

The new host is ok, low key, which is a good fit I think. Joe Lycett is still my favorite.

• Like 3
On 5/22/2024 at 9:48 AM, Aulty said:

I did like that Patrick has a good enough sense of humour and lack of ego that he tried the goofy hat on.

• Like 3
(edited)

Why yes, I would like to wear a fleece that makes it clear that the sun shines out of my ass.

Screenshot2024-05-30at12_15_33AM.thumb.png.a1010ee247d65d3134785119798d807f.png

I just have a feeling that at some point Janet will reveal that she's a nudist, but she may also be running out of weeks to do so.

Next week: how will Marcus find another way to not do the challenge, by just making another piece of headwear? 

This does not seem like a talented bunch of sewers.

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • LOL 4

Transformation challenge intro: "we would like a top and a bottom"

Marcus: I'm making a hat when provided with tons of material.

Dude, you're not edgy. Make an effort!

• Like 2
On 5/29/2024 at 1:55 PM, LGraves65 said:

Don *totally* should have been out.  Comfort's sews weren't the best, but they were at least finished.  

I agree. Not following the brief has, in the past, put that contestant at the bottom of the pile.

Haven't the contestants watched previous seasons of the show? Skipping pattern directions, adding stuff that isn't part of the pattern, don't they know they will get marked down?

I'm curious how the show handles having them use a coverstitch machine. If you've never used one, you can't just sit down and sew. They are nothing like a serger or regular machine, and the method for ending stitching is not like any other machine. Do they give them time to read the user manual, or teach them how to do it? Tension settings, sewing over thick areas, all is different than the other types of machines.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, LGraves65 said:

Byeeee Janet!  She got on my last nerve. 

I agree. She seemed like the type who wants to be the center of attention, thinking highly of herself and her ability. She always seemed surprised when getting poor critiques.

It seems not many are watching the show, judging by the lack of comments here,

• Like 1

I'm watching and enjoying the series so far, but I still don't have all of their names straight which makes it harder to comment. :-) 

I did love Suzy's story about going to New York with her boyfriend, and visiting a famous fabric store. (Mood maybe?) where the boyfriend had arranged to pop the question by having "Will You Marry Me?" somehow on the inside of a bolt of fabric.

Fabulous story!

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

Is no one watching this season?

I am! Just haven't had much to say :-)

On 6/17/2024 at 3:06 PM, Deskisamess said:

Is no one watching this season?

I watch it on the old iPlayer when nothing else is on. And I am out of Antiques Roadshow.

I had a go at sewing something recently and realised how shit I am (but TBF I did french seams, which this show has taught me), and somehow my own incompetence has taken the shine off this show for me a bit.

17 minutes ago, Aulty said:

I watch it on the old iPlayer when nothing else is on. And I am out of Antiques Roadshow.

I had a go at sewing something recently and realised how shit I am (but TBF I did french seams, which this show has taught me), and somehow my own incompetence has taken the shine off this show for me a bit.

I've sewn for many years, but the time constraints would quickly be my downfall. I've been rewatching previous seasons also. The show has really evolved since the first season.

• Like 2

I've sewn for many years, but the time constraints would quickly be my downfall. I've been rewatching previous seasons also. The show has really evolved since the first season.

Yup, me too!  But if I did want to be on this show, I would practice stuff like welt pockets and fly zips until I could do them with my eyes closed.

• Like 2

I will always watch the UK arts and crafts shows, but I'm having a harder time getting into Sewing Bee this season cuz so many of them are not finishing their garments, and I've yet to be really wowed by anything. Even garment of the week has been a stretch some weeks! And while the new host is okay, he does not really bring up Patrick and Esme's energy and playfulness, so I can't rely on that either, as much as I adore them.

Having said that, it is still 100 times better than most US competition shows, where the contestants have to be a "character," wear some absurd uniform that reinforces their "character" and engage in fake drama. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I will always watch the UK arts and crafts shows, but I'm having a harder time getting into Sewing Bee this season cuz so many of them are not finishing their garments, and I've yet to be really wowed by anything. Even garment of the week has been a stretch some weeks! And while the new host is okay, he does not really bring up Patrick and Esme's energy and playfulness, so I can't rely on that either, as much as I adore them.

Having said that, it is still 100 times better than most US competition shows, where the contestants have to be a "character," wear some absurd uniform that reinforces their "character" and engage in fake drama. 

In watching previous seasons, I am reminded how much I liked Joe Lycett as the host. This guy is ok, but doesn't have the easy humor Joe had. Claudia Winkleman was ok I suppose, she got a tad over-the-top at times.

Some of the contestants on the Baking Show have seemed like they were trying to be "characters" but not as ridiculous as US shows.

Edited by Deskisamess
  • Like 2