Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08 Trophy Wife

Trophy Wife (Season 3 | Episode 8)

8:30PM EST | ABC

Katie lands the perfect pawn to play on the insecurities of the Westport housewives when she convinces a hot young trophy wife named Harper to volunteer as room mom for Anna-Kat's class, but she quickly shifts gears when Harper rejects Anna-Kat's idea for movie night. Meanwhile, Greg enlists the help of the kids to get Katie's mom, Kathryn, to take an interest in someone other than herself.

Airdate: November 28, 2018

Something about this episode I just didn’t like. Katie really did come off so much more super unlikeable to me There is a super fine line where she is coming off has more of a mean girl then the moms around her and doesn’t seem has “cute” this time around. 

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 7

I felt so bad for Anna-Kat that she might not get to have The Goonies be her movie pick. Other kids had gotten to pick and when it's finally Anna-Kat's turn this happens. It wasn't fair.

That stomach on Victoria Justice. Wow.

• Love 4

Yeah it really irritated me that the school would have a thing in the first place where "kid wins the choice of movie" and they didn't already spell out the rules for what movies are pickable (ie presumably no R or whatever). It was also very odd to me that the room-mom would somehow be able to insert herself into this. I guess I'm not entirely surprised given how this school has been shown to work on the show, but it halfway rubbed me wrong in a "wait does that make sense?" way about the show itself, and half in a "no, even if this were happening around me in real life, I'd question the logic and be very annoyed" way. It's the sort of thing that makes you want to be all "that's not how this works; that's now how any of this works."

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Something about this episode I just didn’t like. Katie really did come off so much more super unlikeable to me There is a super fine line where she is coming off has more of a mean girl then the moms around her and doesn’t seem has “cute” this time around. 

I agree with you but I don't think this is anything that new with Katie.  Maybe it's just getting tiresome now as they keep repeating it over and over again.  I'm also getting tired of this "they hate her/they love her/they hate her" stuff.  I think it's really getting juvenile.  A little of that stuff goes a long way.  I've said before that I think it sets a mean-spirited tone for the show and I don't think TV shows should be tacitly legitimizing any more mean spiritedness among women than we already have.

• Love 3

Maybe it's just getting tiresome now as they keep repeating it over and over again. 

Bingo. The whole "Katie vs. the Stepford Moms" thing has gotten a little stale. We didn't get much of Greg and the kids at all this episode, and Wendie Malick's character is very one-note. I get that they probably think she's a good draw for the show but I question the decision to make her a regular. 

The diaper thing was so gross and even in this absurd sitcom I question if any of the moms would have actually been dumb enough or desperate enough to fall for that. 

• Love 6

I know it's Katie's show but I think the show needs more of the rest of the family. I like Greg and Anna-Kat and Taylor. I'm lukewarm on Oliver. And Wendy Malik's character doesn't do anything for me.

• Love 5

I'm so torn on Katie's mom. I really enjoy Wendy Malik in general, but her character feels somehow out of place, especially now that we're getting more of her in consecutive episodes. I'm trying to think back....and I think the very first appearance of that character really landed for me, but this season not so much, and I'm not sure why or what changed or if it's just a matter of she seems to be taking away time/story from characters I already care about and would rather see? It might be. I was thinking that in the scene with her and Anna-Kat in the living room during this episode, how it felt sort of like she ought to be in a different show. It's not because she's self-absorbed, because Oliver is; it's not because sometimes she's a little bit maybe sociopathic, because Doris is. Maybe it's just that she seems ONLY there to frustrate the main cast in one very specific way that doesn't really connect to the rest of plot? It doesn't seem to go anywhere, and it's a bit repetitive at this point. It's sort of like they swapped her out for the Viv character (whose primary purpose was to annoy) but then they brought Viv back this season, so I don't know what they're aiming for beyond "we like these actresses so we want them in our show".

• Love 6
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

I'm so torn on Katie's mom. I really enjoy Wendy Malik in general, but her character feels somehow out of place, especially now that we're getting more of her in consecutive episodes. I'm trying to think back....and I think the very first appearance of that character really landed for me, but this season not so much, and I'm not sure why or what changed or if it's just a matter of she seems to be taking away time/story from characters I already care about and would rather see? It might be. I was thinking that in the scene with her and Anna-Kat in the living room during this episode, how it felt sort of like she ought to be in a different show. It's not because she's self-absorbed, because Oliver is; it's not because sometimes she's a little bit maybe sociopathic, because Doris is. Maybe it's just that she seems ONLY there to frustrate the main cast in one very specific way that doesn't really connect to the rest of plot? It doesn't seem to go anywhere, and it's a bit repetitive at this point. It's sort of like they swapped her out for the Viv character (whose primary purpose was to annoy) but then they brought Viv back this season, so I don't know what they're aiming for beyond "we like these actresses so we want them in our show".

If I had to choose, I'd rather have Viv.  I find her character funnier, more interesting and less predictable than Katie's mom.  I only like Wendy Malik's character in very small doses.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I know it's Katie's show but I think the show needs more of the rest of the family. I like Greg and Anna-Kat and Taylor. I'm lukewarm on Oliver. And Wendy Malik's character doesn't do anything for me.

I wish Wendy Malik's  character would just go away, she adds absolutely  nothing,___  nothing_, to the show. 

• Love 5

I definitely agree that Kathryn doesn't really add much to the show despite the fact that I very much enjoy Wendy Malik in general. I will say though that I thought the scene where she casually talked about reading Greg's book because he's her son-in-law and she likes to know what he's up to was very sweet (even if it was undercut by her launching immediately into another story about herself). Last season, we saw that Greg's own father was extremely dismissive of him writing a book, so it was nice to see that even self-absorbed Kathryn valued his accomplishments more. 

Also, Franklin talking about how Soapdish of all things is the only movie he's ever watched (and then the later scene where Anna Kat is about to reveal her chosen movie and he says something like "I hope it's Soapdish") was actually pretty funny and probably the only laugh out loud moment of the episode for me. They generally utilize his character sparingly enough for him to consistently be funny to me

Edited by salmondean
  • Love 7
On 11/29/2018 at 12:57 PM, iMonrey said:

Bingo. The whole "Katie vs. the Stepford Moms" thing has gotten a little stale. We didn't get much of Greg and the kids at all this episode, and Wendie Malick's character is very one-note. I get that they probably think she's a good draw for the show but I question the decision to make her a regular. 

The diaper thing was so gross and even in this absurd sitcom I question if any of the moms would have actually been dumb enough or desperate enough to fall for that. 

The problem with the Stepford Moms is they come off as having no brains at all. One takes pills and then does insane things like destroying galas when one of her "friends" doesn't get to do the gala. Even admitting she doesn't know why she does it. One puts her kids to eat, drink what "she" wants for no other reason because it's "better". Then you add in this diaper thing that they were really that stupid to think of? I mean come on, for all the talk of research, knowing people, ect. None of them look that up and go: "Yeah, this is bullshit." They are in season 3 and they have already taking their characters to the extreme, they would be arrested or dead. Then again, don't get me started on the kids' school staff, I mean... seriously?

• Love 4

Did I misunderstand Anna Kat, or did she say her class has someone choose a movie EVERY Friday? Seriously? I can't imagine all those helicopter moms being ok with their kids just wasting an hour and a half to two hours of instructional time every Friday...

Re: Insignia - Working in an urban school district where I come across MANY bizarre names regularly, I found this hilarious. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Re: Insignia - Working in an urban school district where I come across MANY bizarre names regularly, I found this hilarious. 

That was pretty funny along with Katie always getting it wrong - Emblem - not that she really cared.

I get annoyed at people trying too hard to come up with unique names or unique spellings of regular names like Eighmy (Amy). The trend for the last several years has been choosing last names of famous people as your child's name. I like on Modern Family when Mitch mentions one of Lily's classmates being Jagger and says something like "Because that's a name now." Little girls named Aniston annoys me and I know it shouldn't. It's the name of an actress you liked on Friends. But her first name was a normal name - Jennifer. Plus anytime I hear someone call their child Aniston I think of this

6U3w67F.jpg?1

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Aryanna said:

That was pretty funny along with Katie always getting it wrong - Emblem - not that she really cared.

"My daughter is in class with your daughter.  Em. . .  blem?

"Insgnia.  Emblem isn't a name"

"Oh, yes.  How silly of me!"

And then to top it off with

"Monogram is so lucky to have you as a step mom."

"Insignia"

"Her too!"

I just love how Katie really tried to care about the name, but just couldn't care.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Aryanna said:

Yes, so funny.

It's funny because it shows how clueless she is that Emblem isn't any more ridiculous than Insignia!

And it will often be a burden on the kids.  Do any of you have friends where you overhear them having this discussion over and over?

"I'd like to place an order and I'm already in your system.  My name is Mykel."

"No, not Michael.  It's Y not I"

"No, M then Y"

"No, it's M THEN Y then K E L.  Mykel."

Seems like that would get old fast.

• Love 4