Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

This is interesting...

Are Green Arrow and The Flash the New Batman and Superman?

Rob Bricken 8/20/15 12:30pmhttp://io9.com/are-green-arrow-and-the-flash-the-new-batman-and-superm-1725425981

1394261234868273442.jpg

And further down the page you have this...gem. ;)

Remember how Superman would always take a lump of coal in his hand, squeeze it, and the pressure would turn it into a diamond? Are you going to tell me his sphincter is weaker than his grip? Of course not. Now, isn’t most of what we eat, whether it be animal or vegetable, essentially made of carbon? You see where this is going, right? SUPERMAN SHITS DIAMONDS. Seriously, every loaf that comes out of that man’s ass should be a 14-karat diamond necklace that he can give to Lois Lane, Lana Lang, Wonder Woman, or whatever alliteratively named girl he’s dating in his current continuity. They should probably wash them first, though.

If Barry is the "new" Superman, he really needed to get on that. Maybe he can rearrange molicules with his speed and transmute his sneezes into gold. Then they can use that to fund the new Arrowcave. :p

Wow, and once again I completely agree with her. :) A far more eloquent summing up of the issues than I could ever manage.

She really does nail it just about every time. I feel her pain about the upcoming election and I only live near the border of s swing state.

It's cool that Oliver was mayor in the comics because they don't have to address it in every episode. TV is a spoiler different medium. Do we really want to see 20 hrs or so of city hall/policy heavy plot & conversations? These writers are not Sorkin. I don't quite see them nailing the talk & walks. I'm all for OQ making the city his priority as OQ, I just think there are better and more enjoyable ways to watch/do it.

Is it because he's not an AMC employee anymore? Or because he just didn't like the direction of his previous Arrow aftershow? 

IDK. I hope it's the latter. Because what they did to the arrow aftershow is just absolute garbage.

I honestly don't understand what happened to the AfterShow. I understand being critical and being won over by a character you previously disliked, but to do a total 180 is mind boggling. And frankly, I think it shots your credibility.

I'm interested in this new AfterShow.

I honestly don't understand what happened to the AfterShow. I understand being critical and being won over by a character you previously disliked, but to do a total 180 is mind boggling. And frankly, I think it shots your credibility.

I'm interested in this new AfterShow.

It would've been fine if they did the 180 gradually, but it really was instant. IDK it's all very weird and it's why I don't trust their POV or judgement. 

• Love 2

Some media reporting of SA's victory at WWE SummerSlam (includes some nice pics and video clips)...

Arrow's Stephen Amell does not fail the crowd at WWE SummerSlam in match against Stardust
BY JONATHON DORNBUSH Posted August 24 2015 — 9:27 AM EDT
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/24/wwe-summerslam-stephen-amell-stardust-match

Jon Stewart and Stephen Amell Rule WWE's SummerSlam - And We're Already Awaiting Their Return!
by Robyn Ross | Aug 24, 2015 9:49 AM EDT
http://www.tvguide.com/news/jon-stewart-stephen-amell-summerslam/

Stephen Amell Killed WWE SummerSlam Like It Was Ra’s Al Ghul
Stardust better pray for a Lazarus Pit.
by shaunna murphy 50m ago
http://www.mtv.com/news/2248927/stephen-amell-wwe-summerslam/

WWE SummerSlam 2015 Highlights: Stephen Amell, The Undertaker...and Jon Stewart?
AUG. 24, 2015 AT 10:00AM BY ALLISON TAKEDA
http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/wwe-summerslam-highlights-stephen-amell-the-undertaker-and-more-2015248

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

More from Laura Hurley...

My Favorite/Least Favorite Episode for Arrow Characters, Installment #2: Felicity Smoak
Aug 24, 2015 4:00 pm

http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/127498292776/my-favoriteleast-favorite-episode-for-arrow

anonymous asks:
Hello Laura! Could I ask you if, and why, you find Sara Lance a more likeable character than Laurel Lance, and if you think the writers should have given up their original plan of making Laurel the Black Canary and kept Sara as the BC instead? Thank you very much.

Aug 24, 2015 2:38 pm
http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/127493180666/hello-laura-could-i-ask-you-if-and-why-you-find

ogteamarrow asks:
Speaking of female friendship on Arrow are you bold enough to discuss Lyla\Felicity Vs. Laurel\Felicity and how one would be more natural than the other? I know you might get in trouble for it but haters will hate regardless of anything they disagree with lol

Aug 25, 2015 9:36 am
http://laurawritesabout.tumblr.com/post/127556244355/speaking-of-female-friendship-on-arrow-are-you

Arrow Season 4: 10 Things That Must Happen

How do you solve a problem like Felicity?

James Hunt   25 Aug 2015

http://whatculture.com/tv/arrow-season-4-10-things-that-must-happen.php

Nice click bait. Worked for me. I agree with a lot on the list. A better Big Bad, Focused Plot, More Original Team Arrow. In regards to Felicity, I agree that she was reduced to a love interest for both Oliver Queen and Ray Palmer. She lost something there. That being said, the guy's introduction paragraph is about Felicity taking down a LOA member with her tablet and how it's everything wrong with Felicity in S3. Bad examble, given the fact that SHE DIDN'T.

• Love 3

That guy, James Hunt, gets so many things wrong in his articles I don't even check out most of his stuff anymore.

I did get a laugh about storylines for Laurel.

He mentioned development into the full-blown Black Canary.

No development for you dude. Per WM, that's it. No more learning curve.

• Love 2

He actually is, most times, pro-Felicity and OG3. That's really not my problem with him. He gets so many facts just plain wrong and it frustrates me and it takes away any credibility he has as a writer (for me, anyway). I wonder if he doesn't have any editor or what. Looks like he's a contributor, so I don't know how his articles are processed. 

But you guys convinced me take a peek :P 10) I agree flashbacks need to matter. I enjoyed Tatsu and Maseo but the FBs felt aimless and the last-minute tie-in to the present felt forced. 9) I want more than "a few moments" of Original Team Arrow action. I want them back in the forefront. I want Oliver as the leader of TA with Diggle and Felicity as his partners. I want OG3 missions and on-field action. I want all 3 relationships highlighted. 8) Proper arcs for the rest of the team — I'm happy Felicity and Diggle seem to be getting the proper attention based on EP interviews. I also want proper story lines for the rest of the team, and by rest, I mean Quentin and Thea. That's it. 7) No, no, no to more crossovers. One big one is enough for me. OK, maybe a couple of small ones if the timing and the story arcs actually mesh. Don't delay stuff on "Arrow" just so it'll work on "Flash." (Looking at you, "All Star Team-Up"). 6) Nyssa vs. Malcolm — I honestly can live without this. I like both characters but I'm not particularly invested in them. I don't need their storylines. 5) Introduce more metahumans — Only on a very limited basis. Once a season, maybe. 4) A focused plot — Agree. Better execution. Better pacing. Add tension. One of my problems with S3 is that there really wasn't any sense of urgency or threat until the last few eps pretty much. Fewer gotcha moments that lead nowhere (still scratching my head over the wedding). 3) Better Big Bad — Agree. Ra's was bland. Give the main villain a clear purpose, a clear goal and better characterization. Give me a believable motive and I'll believe the villain. 2) Felicity has to be more than a love interest — Yes, and I think we'll see that in Season 4. I'm not a fan of calls for Felicity's return to Season 2 form because Felicity has grown a lot as a person this season. She was tested by all the bad things that happened and I believe came out stronger. She will be funny again, she will be quippy again because, I hope, she'd be less burdened. 1) The proper Green Arrow — not having read the comics (other than the most recent ones with Felicity and Digg) I have no idea how different the comic book GA is. But Oliver is supposed to be lighter this year, so step closer to his comic book persona. But again, we have to bear in mind, that as Stephen himself said comic book GA is not necessarily HIS GA.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva

GATV is really excited for the sneak peak of Olicity we got today!

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-tv-insider-posts-the-first-official-olicity-photo-of-season-4/

TV Insider got a hold of an official still from Arrow Season 4 featuring Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) and Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards).

They also got some quotes from Marc Guggenheim, so you can read about them at their site.

Here’s that photo.

Olicity Season 4 premieres Wednesday, October 7 on The CW.

CNR8LH1WcAE5Z-8.jpg

Edited by Velocity23

Flashback Tuesday (just for fun!): here are two 2012 news articles on EBR's casting as Felicity Smoak, a 2013 review of Arrow the show, and a 2013 news article on "Olicity"...

Arrow To Feature Firestorm's Stepmother
Russ Burlingame- 08/04/2012
http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/08/04/arrow-to-feature-firestorms-stepmother/

Emily Bett Rickards, an actress best known for her work on a direct-to-DVD Flicka movie featuring country music star Clint Black, has been cast in the role of Felicity Smoak on Arrow, according to a report at Green Arrow TV.... (read more)

'Arrow' casts Firestorm stepmother
By Hugh Armitage   Monday, Aug 6 2012, 4:51am EDT
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s206/arrow/news/a397522/arrow-casts-firestorm-stepmother.html#~pmoZkOOzEeoysA

Emily Bett Rickards has been cast in Arrow.

The actress will play Felicity Smoak, a character best known in DC Comics' publications as the stepmother of Firestorm.

The character debuted as an antagonist who sued the hero, later unwittingly marrying his alter ego Ronnie Raymond's father.

"First day on the set of #Arrow today? Dont mind if I do," tweeted Rickards.

The actress will debut in the third Arrow episode alongside Michael Rowe as Deadshot.

Firestorm is not considered a fit for the show, and so is not expected to join his stepmother. Star Stephen Amell has said that Arrow is set in a world without superpowers.

Executive producer Andrew Kreisberg has promised that the show will stick closely to hero Oliver Queen's liberal roots.

'Arrow': How the comic book drama became the TV hit of 2013
By Morgan Jeffery  Tuesday, Apr 16 2013, 11:29am EDT
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/s206/arrow/tubetalk/a473657/arrow-how-the-comic-book-drama-became-the-tv-hit-of-2013.html#~pmp5p9sManmCxY

When I finally saw the Arrow pilot though, I was disappointed, calling the finished product "melodramatic" and arguing that it "lack[ed] substance". In short, I was not kind.
But the melodrama I previously referred to was its biggest flaw. Early Arrow was frustratingly po-faced, which left the show's more comic book elements (costumed vigilantes, mysterious islands) feeling out of place.

And while you couldn't fault Stephen Amell's performance, Oliver Queen was a rather charmless lead - posing as a spoilt douchebag by day and a brutal murderer by night.
An infusion of humor - a gentle insertion of tongue into cheek - was what Arrow badly needed and, as the show evolved, that's exactly what it got.

The show didn't suddenly transform into a comedy - the drama remained high-stakes and those stakes remained very real - but the creative team wisely expanded the role of computer whiz Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards).

Here was a character whose charm and wit cut a swathe through the tough guy posturing of Ollie and his hard-headed partner Diggle (David Ramsay). Promoting Rickards to series regular status for season two must've been a no-brainer.... (read more)

Arrow Guest Post: The Case for Olicity
TV Fanatic Staff at December 2, 2013 11:51 am
http://www.tvfanatic.com/2013/12/arrow-guest-post-the-case-for-olicity/

I think after Arrow Season 2 Episode 7, some of us are still recovering from the moving and powerful Olicity scene. To be honest, I am personally glad the writers have realized they struck gold with the chemistry we’ve seen brewing since last season between Emily Bett Rickards as Felicity Smoak and Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen. Of course there probably are a few hard core comic book fans screaming foul at the writers of Arrow for not sticking with Laurel and Ollie as endgame.
Arrow does have a creative license to tweak certain things, and they certainly did by keeping Moira alive (she died in the comics) and adding Oliver’s sister (who is really his half-sister, but my point still stands). So is it really so bad that the writers - like many of us fans - have noticed the lack of chemistry between Stephen and Katie and are now going in a different direction?
Oliver shooting three arrows at The Count seemed a bit much if he only considered Felicity as a friend. Even if he was still going to kill him for trying to hurt his friend, just one arrow would have sufficed. But to me, Oliver was clouded with rage, mixed with panic at the thought of losing Felicity; so he didn’t think… he just reacted. That action speaks louder than words ever could. Not to forget the previous Olicity scene we got in Arrow Season 2 Episode 6. Oliver probably thinks that if he gives into his attraction towards Felicity, it could become something more... (read more)
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

That 2013 TV Fanatic article was written by an invited guest author.

If you Google "po-faced definition", you get:

po-faced

ˈpōfāst/
adjective  BRITISH
humorless and disapproving.
"don't be so po-faced about everything"

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

While there were some stunts in the pilot that I loved (especially all the awesome when Oliver's taking down his kidnappers), overall I didn't care about the show until the third episode. However, I liked it not just for Felicity (although her first scene was gold), but I liked the villain, it had cool stunts (love Oliver parkouring up that wall to dig out the bullet, PLUS smart Oliver figuring out the curare and the origin and trajectory of the shot to find the bullet...Oh smart Oliver, where were you in S3?) and several great Oliver/Digg moments (my fave is: Diggle: "I guess from now on I'll be watching you pee;" Oliver: [pause...pause...pause...walks away]...cracks me up). There were even a couple good Oliver/Lance moments, and a little humility from Oliver (thanking Lance for showing up to protect the auction). Overall probably one of the best episodes of the show. It was to me the first glimpse of real potential.

• Love 3

I just can see every single bit in the pilot that screams "we wrote this script in front of our Christopher Nolan shrine". Po-faced is probably Nolan's middle name.

Thinking about it now, Felicity is pretty much the opposite of a CNolan character, which is probably why she was the first one I fell in love with. 

• Love 7

http://www.adweek.com/news/television/10-tips-creating-perfect-tv-show-hashtag-166423

Olicity mentione in the article by Adweek on creating perfect tv show hashtag.

Let the viewer be your guide.

The CW's marketing and social team doesn't push their own hashtags on viewers, instead letting audiences decide which ones will dominate the social media conversation.

"That feels the most organic and doesn't feel forced," said Haskins, whose team monitors all social media conversation around a particular episode, honing in on hashtags that are generating momentum and incorporating those into that week's or the following week's episode. "What I don't want to do is put what I think is the perfect hashtag and give it to the viewer because they're the ones that are using them more than we are."

Usually, the most popular fan-generated hashtags revolve around two characters that have been  "shipped" into a romantic relationship. "They come up with names of the perfect relationship and those we use all the time," said Haskins.

For example, Arrow's Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) and Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) begat #Olicity. "So that what we'll do is we throw it back to them: You made this up, what do you guys think about it? But the relationship ones tend to be the most fun, and the ones that gain the biggest ground because people can add onto it or change it or disagree with it," said Haskins.

Relationship-themed hashtags are among the most popular hashtags at CBS, for couples like #Lenny (The Big Bang Theory's Leonard, played by Johnny Galecki, and Penny, played by Kaley Cuoco). For its freshman drama Scorpion last season, CBS asked fans to decide whether Happy Quinn (Jadyn Wong) and Toby Curtis (Eddie Kaye Thomas) should be called #Quintis or #Tappy (they chose #Quintis).

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 2

Giant Arrow & The Flash Poster Hanging At WB Studios
Russ Burlingame- 08/25/2015
http://comicbook.com/2015/08/26/giant-arrow-the-flash-poster-hanging-at-wb-studios/

While the DC Comics mural outside of Warner Bros. recently came down, studio buildings are still doing their best to raise awareness of the properties.

At the moment, the Warner Bros. Television Studio lot features just one poster: that of Arrow and The Flash, promoting their upcoming seasons (including a first look at the official Arrow poster, along with this afternoon's newly-released Flash image).

Stephen Amell has released the poster below to his Facebook feed:

11960175_911932578892010_993689615677533

Edited by tv echo

Apparently till recently a TVD poster was gracing the WB lot.

HA!

Petty I know, but I take enjoyment from anything that knocks TVD down a peg or ten. This plus low attendace for their panel and comic con makes me happy and hopeful The CW will spread some money around.

Olicity and Westallen get a shoutout in this article by IGN Arrow listing 12 Greatest Superhero Romances on TV

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/27/the-best-superhero-romances-on-tv

Oliver Queen & Felicity Smoak (Arrow)

Stephen Amell's Oliver Queen is easily the most handsome superhero on TV, what with the rugged good looks, the scars and the fact that he spends his free time shirtless and working out on the salmon ladder. Unsurprisingly, Ollie has had a busy romantic life on the show, whether it's with the Huntress, Shado or either one of the Lance sisters.

RQessO1-720x405.png

But ultimately, it's not a leather-clad vigilante that holds sway over Ollie's heart, but the ditzy secretary, computer genius Felicity. The show has mined a lot of drama out of the fact that these two pine for each other yet can't seem to make their relationship work. The Season 3 finale suggested that domestic bliss may finally be in the cards for these two, but with Ollie donning the hood again in Season 4, somehow we doubt it's going to be that simple.
  • Love 2

I'm picking up fanboy bitterness from just the article itself. "Ditzy secretary"? Really?

That's actually high compliment to a lady character in IGN-fanboy speak.

1. Ditzy: she has a flaw, thus not being a Mary Sue

2. Secretary: she's a woman and she has a job! Incredible feature

I mean. Maybe he meant *quirky* *executive assistant*/*VP*, but now you're just expecting too much of a fanboy brain.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 11