Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

You've got Supergirl, Arrow, Flash, Sara/Black Canary and Felicity.

I'm guessing the boys under the flag are from "Jack and Bobby"

The father with the son and little girl in Baseball cap is "Everwood"

Pacey/Joey from "Dawson's Creek" - kissing couple

Couple with Baby already identified as "Life as We Knew It"

The girl in the lower left is "Political Animals" with Sigourney Weaver.

Could the guy with the finger (near Felicity) be Eli Stone?

I'm at a loss to figure out the person with the Shield and the 3 kids with baseball caps

Edited by Morrigan2575

The woman behind the shield is Jane from Blindspot.

Maybe the trio in the baseball caps represent "Brothers and Sisters"? I never watched it, but it was one of his longer running shoes.

Edited by lemotomato

The girl in the lower left is "Political Animals" with Sigourney Weaver.

Could the guy with the finger (near Felicity) be Eli Stone?

I didn't notice the sticker/tattoo on her arm.  That is definitely Sigourney Weaver.

And yep, that is Eli Stone.  I have the first season on DVD (It's very watchable all on it's own) and it has the blue sky and clouds on the cover.  I think the finger was used in promos. 

I'm only about half way through the first chapter of this fic (it's only 2 chapters and they're both super long) but this is a pretty good fic so far!

It's an ALIAS/Olicity AU :)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5561089/chapters/12826300

I've really enjoyed everything JSevick's written (even the Jurassic World fic, which I didn't think would be my thing at all) but I adore her Arrow/Alias AUs. This one had me flailing. All the mutual pining, and Felicity babble that sounds natural, and spy tropes galore. Loved it. 

• Love 1

whoops! Sorry!

No problem! The more recs the better... I sometimes find its always good to remind people. I often don't head back pages to read the recs. So its always good to see them show up on the threads.

• Love 1

I'm only about half way through the first chapter of this fic (it's only 2 chapters and they're both super long) but this is a pretty good fic so far!

It's an ALIAS/Olicity AU :)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5561089/chapters/12826300

I like how it plays with canon. Thea's in the dark, Oliver, Felicity and Dig are in the inner circle, Dig, with his black and white morality, is CIA straight away, he wasn't in the gray teritory, Oliver being Roy's mentor...
  • Love 2

Could we have a separate thread for Fanfic recs? It's hard to navigate past all the artwork etc & find links to A03 & FF.

I think we used to have fanart and fanfic in separate threads, but they were merged into one because the Arrow Forum was so crowded.

I like how it plays with canon. Thea's in the dark, Oliver, Felicity and Dig are in the inner circle, Dig, with his black and white morality, is CIA straight away, he wasn't in the gray teritory, Oliver being Roy's mentor...

It really did play canon well. I also loved how she twisted ALIAS canon, but still managed to remain true to the source. I would have never seen Dig as the handler but it makes perfect sense. And having OQ be the other

double agent

what a perfect twist. It just was the perfect melding of characterizations that were genuine to the Canon Inspirations and authentic to the story itself. It made me want to binge ALIAS & ARROW all over again.

My only complaint was that the chapters were really long. But they were written so well that its hard to complain. It just made reading it a little more challenging because I kept on getting interrupted and yet didn't want to put the story down.

I have kids and life gets crazy so I prefer 1500-3k for ease of reading.

Btw, the last installment of that alias series, on re-read in the current situation of the show, makes me long for a fan fic showing Oliver in three realities/possible futures....one where she does, one where she lives, one on which he runs and regrets it. I really enjoyed going back asks re reading those aus after reading the more recent alias au. All so good.

There has been a great deal of discussion re if tptb can give a paralysis sl justice. This story is devastating and heart breaking and does a really good job showing...everything, imo.

archiveofourown.org/works/5537195/chapters/12774323

I'm more partial to 3k-5k but it depends on how well the fic is written.

Sometimes I get desperate to read a new fic I can literally feel my standards drop and start reading a fic that isn't up to my usual standards. Those fics I prefer to be on the shorter side (1.5k-2.5k)

Nothing pisses me off more than insanely short chapters though -_- (anything below 1k)

• Love 2

It’s really hard for me because I don’t think in word counts. And there are some stories that have long chapters where the long chapters make sense. It’s just hard to read those chapters if you are not able to be sitting for a long amount of time. And a lot of my reading takes place on the subway or at work, where I might only be able to read for like 10-15 minutes intervals. So I guess I do prefer closer to 2k for chapter lengths, only because it makes it easier to know where you stopped. Or at least if people put other visual markers in there text to break up the story.  Part of it also depends on if it’s going to be a one-shot or a multi-chapter. The longer one-shots don’t bother me as much because it keeps the story contained. But if I’m investing in a whole story, I don’t mind smaller chapters because as long as they update quickly or do not leave too many cliffhangers, the needing to click through chs does not bother me.

I think the hardest part is that if I was reading a real book, I wouldn’t care about the length of the chapters if they are well written. But in a real book I can put my earmark my page or use a bookmark. There is no way digitally I can do that with fanfiction, which is why I prefer the shorter chapters even if it goes against writing standards. It’s almost like they need to have sub chapters like ch 1a, ch 1b, ch 1c – just so it is easier to navigate digitally.

• Love 1

It’s really hard for me because I don’t think in word counts

I always look at the word count of a story.  If it's new and has too few words (anything under 1000) I'll skip it unless it's specifically marked as a drabble or missing scene.  Same if it has a few chapters and only a couple thousand words. On the other hand I get scared off if a first chapter is over 5000 words unless it has a lot of positive reviews. (I've seen 10,000 recently a couple times)  Too often it's not about it being a long chapter then but an indication that the author didn't write it in chapters  or organize their thoughts (And likely there are a bunch of other issues as well.  I gave in just last night to an interesting description to one of the plus 10000 only for it to be broken into about a couple hundred words at a time and covered a time span of years and it was awful on every level. ) 

I've found that most writers seem to have a standard length they write to (with exceptions of course either way) so looking at the word count and dividing by chapter often is fairly telling.  When I write fan fiction I like to have at least ten pages single spaced for a chapter.  That is usually around 3000 words give or take. Of course what I like and what happens isn't always the same thing, lol.  One shots are such a mixed bag. 

Edited by BkWurm1

Random question.

How long is a nice length for chapters?  I'd usually say around 2500-4000 words. 

I really honestly don't mind, as long as it's well written - wait, I tell a lie: If the title is followed by the dreaded WALL OF TAGS, and then the story is something like 400 words, I just bow out.

But I don't mind long chapters, at all. Actually, my pet peeve at the moment is those series of one-shots and drabbles collected like a story - I don't know why, I just find them annoying.

As regards my own writing, with some stories the chapters are probably too long, which is why I don't mind long chapters in other people's work. But with my most recent WIP, an AU of Season 4 island yaawn flashbacks, I'm experimenting with chapters between 1500 - 3000 words each. It's working really well, and I'm asking myself why I didn't do this before!

Edited by arjumand
  • Love 1

As regards my own writing, with some stories the chapters are probably too long, which is why I don't mind long chapters in other people's work. But with my most recent WIP, an AU of Season 4 island yaawn flashbacks, I'm experimenting with chapters between 1500 - 3000 words each. It's working really well, and I'm asking myself why I didn't do this before!

You are writing two fun stories right now. And I still love your fic in which Felicity sexes the LOA douche out of Oliver. 

• Love 1

You are writing two fun stories right now. And I still love your fic in which Felicity sexes the LOA douche out of Oliver. 

Hey thanks! I'm glad you like them!

And Felicity sexing the LOA douche out of Oliver (love your description!) was such fun to write! I understand why the show has to follow the real world time jump between May and October, but I still feel kinda resentful we were cheated out of 'Felicity and Oliver honeymooning like crazy' on the actual show.

Now I want to read them, too. :) Do you have a link? I have been just recently sucked into the world of fanfiction, trying to catch up :)

No prob!

The two WIPs are All the difference and Lost in Purgatory.

The one where Felicity sexes the assassin out of Oliver is complete, and it's called got game by the pound (I was going to call it 'no diggity', but there's loads of fics called that).

As an aside, does anyone else find it really hard to think of titles? Sheesh.

• Love 5

As an aside, does anyone else find it really hard to think of titles? Sheesh.

I know what you mean though there usually is a point were some line of dialogue sparks something.  Too often something obscure enough that it makes little sense to anyone else but for me.  Half the time I have one title I save it under on my compute and one that makes a bit more sense to everyone else though more and more I embrace the obscure.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

I know what you mean though there usually is a point were some line of dialogue sparks something.  Too often something obscure enough that it makes little sense to anyone else but for me.  Half the time I have one title I save it under on my compute and one that makes a bit more sense to everyone else though more and more I embrace the obscure.  

I've never thought of using dialogue as inspiration - that's an idea!

I usually end up with song lyrics or lines from poems, though with my latest I just went with the obvious (the name of the island means 'purgatory', you say? FINE.), because "Story where Felicity is on Lian Yu with Oliver when he gets a better haircut" sounded stupid.

• Love 2