Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles

Sara2009

and it looks like her and Grant are becoming the most successful post-Glee*.

To be honest though, Melissa and Grant are barely known for Glee so it's not surprising if they're better known for the Flash or Supergirl/Whiplash.  Grant was on the show a handful of times in a minor role.  Melissa got very little traction from her time on Glee.

Basically. By the time Melissa appeared on the show, Glee had lost almost half its audience from season 2. Unlike the original 12 Glee kids (plus Darren and Chord, and the adults) who were on Glee at its highest point in pop culture. 

That's not to say other Glee actors and actresses aren't successful, but it's just that I feel Grant and Melissa, as well as a couple of others, won't be just known for their roles on Glee.

It's going to be a lot easier for people like Grant (a guest star) and Melissa or the other New Kids (not on the show until its decline) to break out of their Glee roles. Lea as Rachel, Chris as Kurt, Mark as Puck, etc. etc. are these hugely known pop culture performances/characters that are going to be hard to get away from, no matter what.  Like how no matter how many good movies Jennifer Aniston makes, she's still going to be Rachel from Friends. That's just how it is with tv shows that, at some point in their run, are pop culture phenomenons. There's really no way to escape that, no matter how successful their careers may be. Jennifer Hudson is an Oscar winner, but every time I see her I still think of her as being kicked off way, way too early on American Idol.

In the IMMEDIATE couple of months after leaving glee both Melissa and Grant, while gaining some indie film roles, weren't gaining major pop cultural success either. You have to give the actors some time to field the job offers they have and for those projects to hopefully find success.

(edited)

I agree I do not think they were known for their glee roles at all except by glee fans.   Melissa will be new to most of  that audience.   And while the flash is doing well it still doesn't have a huge audience still under 4 million (but good for CW).  Even glee still had that in the 4th season. 

The superhero phase is big right now but in 2/3 years it could wane, especially on tv and these two could be type cast themselves.    Funny business.

Also I still laugh when on Dancing with the Stars they pretend Ryker Lynch was a glee star.

Edited by tom87
You know, for all the hype about Lea Michele since the first season, it's interesting that she's kind of stuck in the Ryan Murphy rotating doors.

She's gone from starring in one major network show to going on to another in the very next season without dropping a beat.  "Scream Queens" might be another big hit, who knows?   Either way 99.99 % of actors in HW would kill to be in those rotating doors.

It's not just Ryan Murphy that uses some of his fave actors  on different projects, many successful show runners do that.

• Love 2

Very true, you guys. You bring up some fantastic points which I should have taken more into consideration. I'm actually looking forward to Scream Queens, but I think a lot of it has to do with the hype about Lea playing a different character than Rachel (but also due to the star-filled cast). I am impressed by almost everyone getting good work after Glee has ended. Despite the mess that it's become, I am happy that so many have gotten something to do right after, whether it's moving toward the music business, getting roles in movies, doing Broadway or getting recurring/main roles on television. Honestly, I was worried about them, especially with Glee's ratings not doing so well the last couple of years, so I'm happy for all of them. 

She's gone from starring in one major network show to going on to another in the very next season without dropping a beat.  "Scream Queens" might be another big hit, who knows?   Either way 99.99 % of actors in HW would kill to be in those rotating doors.

It's not just Ryan Murphy that uses some of his fave actors  on different projects, many successful show runners do that.

Not just tv.   Burton/Depp, Scorsese/De Niro, Wilder/Lemmon, Cukor/Hepburn, Coens/McDomand/Buscemi, etc..

Lea wanted a different role, she got one.  Good for her.

• Love 1

Reviews for Mcqueen

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-MCQUEEN-Starring-Stephen-Wight-and-Dianna-Agron-Opens-at-the-St-James-20150520

It's mixed to say the least but I think it's great experience for Dianna. She's pushing her self as an actor.

Mixed? About the play maybe but unless I missed something they are all pretty negative about Dianna. One called her an expressionless void And deeply unwatchable. Sure it's nice to stretch yourself but those are bad reviews.

• Love 1

Mixed? About the play maybe but unless I missed something they are all pretty negative about Dianna. One called her an expressionless void And deeply unwatchable. Sure it's nice to stretch yourself but those are bad reviews.

If that is mixed I hate to see the bad reviews.

(edited)

Ouch, those are pretty bad for Dianna. Have to say I'm not terribly surprised. Especially with the comments about her delivery and inertness, which were basically my problem with her on Glee. 

Otoh, Groff sounds great in that short clip. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Well that's too bad about Dianna. Those reviews of her play sound pretty rough. But I believe she got some good reviews for an independent move she did. I think it was called, "Bare"? I've never had too much problem with Dianna acting wise. I always thought she was good, sometimes better than others. She never took me out of a scene, which is not something I can say for every actor on Glee.

As for Lea and Scream Queens, I think she is actually going to be helped by that fact that it is such a big ensemble show. It isn't "her" show. There are so many big name people in this show, she is just another in a long list. And I think that's a good thing. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Dianna is a weak actress and always has been (IMO), so I'm not remotely surprised by these reviews. Yeah, she is gorgeous, but her looks won't always help her when it comes to roles. Blaming the director of her play or whoever else is silly since her acting is a reflection on her. The weaknesses the reviewers mentioned (poor line delivery, monotonous tone) were things I noticed on Glee, IAN4, and even her role in The Family.

She just speaks in such a flat & unemotional way that I often wondered if that was an intentional "acting" choice or if that was just her. It seems like getting genuine emotion out of her is a damn struggle because I sure as hell noticed she had a hard time squeezing out a few tears all the way back in Season 1 of Glee. Ultimately though, people probably won't care about these reviews too much because she's blonde and pretty and not an awful person. If these reviews make Dianna a little less pretentious and make her knock off the "I'm an artiste who truly cares about my craft" drivel she's started spouting lately, then all the better I say!

ETA: It's not that she cares about her craft, yeah, I think an actor should care and strive to be better..it's just with Dianna, I kind of noticed an air of superiority once she got to London and an affectation that grates. Maybe I have no patience for the fake as hell English accent she's using all of a sudden?

Edited by grandemocha
(edited)

I'm not a huge Dianna fan, but I don't mind a little pretentiousness. I'm glad that she cares about her craft. Too many artists don't.

Being pretentious imo does not mean you care more about your craft .

Like other people have said I thought some of her reviews were issues that I had about her on Glee.

Edited by shoregirl

I'm not a huge Dianna fan, but I don't mind a little pretentiousness. I'm glad that she cares about her craft. Too many artists don't.

Yeah that doesn't bother me about her. She has certainly taken some risks in the projects she been doing. She seems to be interested in going a more indie/artsy route. With this play, it's looking like that may not pan out for her.  However in Hollywood, some people are allowed way more failures and given way more chances than others. Dianna may not have the strongest acting chops (I think she's ok), but she does have a certain look, and that will probably afforded her more opportunities. 

• Love 1

Being pretentious imo does not mean you care more about your craft .

Like other people have said I thought some of her reviews were issues that I had about her on Glee.

Oh I know it doesn't. Pretentiousness in general doesn't bother me much. I'd describe at least a couple of actors that I like as being a bit pretentious.

(edited)

Nice review of Groff's performance.  

It seems like in all the reviews of his performance that I've read, the reviewers all want to see Jonathan cast in a full blown musical in the West End. 

Also, he's going to be a guest on Ellen on June 1st if the episode guide is right.

As for Dianna, I'm not sure she is suited for the stage.  Some people just lack the charisma to project into the audience.  She always seems like a subdued performer.

Edited by Casual Viewing

Jon is the one I wonder about sleeping.  Not only does he do a variety of different stuff he seems to learn it in a day or two and then performs it live.

No but if he sounds that great through tinny computer speakers when singing live I'm suitably impressed. It's amazing how great his voice is when he hasn't been tap dancing up a storm moments before.

OF course no one has called Groff the best singer of his generation, but still...

• Love 3

I've seen him live, and yeah, pretty amazing.

As for Dianna...I wish her success, but I'm not surprised by these reviews. These are the same issues I had with her on Glee. As others have said, she's not best suited for the stage. Her greatest strength is not just her beauty but the fact that the camera loves her.

Her greatest strength is not just her beauty but the fact that the camera loves her.

The camera makes love to her.   It goes beyond physical beauty, it reminds me of that description the Holden character (Catcher in the Rye) gives to his roommate, that he was "year book" good looking.   That sort of camera beauty is something you're born with.

• Love 3
(edited)

Ryan with his little white mohawk hair takes me aback every time.

Well it explains Kurt's neck scarfs the last season, they just rummaged through Ryan's closet.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2

Never really watched Devious Maids but that looks really good. I'm taking as its only season 3 it won't take much to catch up?

It's a soap. Just assume all the usual drama has already happened at least twice and you're good.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/180956/jessica-lange-gabriel-byrne-john-gallagher-jr-will-lead-oneills-long-days-journey-into-night-on-broadway/

As Jessica Lange promised, she is returning to Broadway in Long Day’s Journey Into Night! The Oscar winner will star opposite Golden Globe winner Gabriel Byrne and Tony winner John Gallagher Jr. in Eugene O’Neill’s classic, under the direction of Jonathan Kent. The Roundabout production is being mounted in association with Glee and American Horror Story mastermind Ryan Murphy and will begin previews on March 31, 2016. The show is set to officially open on April 19 at the American Airlines Theatre.

marks another Spring Awakening Alum Ryan will work with i.e John Gallagher Jr.

Somebody needs to warn Jessica Lange that she is in serious danger of typecasting by limiting herself to Ryan Murphy productions.

Sarcasm off.

You can't really compare some with two Oscars and a forty year career who someone who has only had small parts in TV and film outside of Ryan Murphy productions. 

Even if Lea Michele is Murphy's Joshua Malina it's hardly going to be a bad thing for her. 

You can't really compare some with two Oscars and a forty year career who someone who has only had small parts in TV and film outside of Ryan Murphy productions.

Most would not criticize Ryan Murphy for offering Jessica Lange another role.   I don't see how Ryan offering ANY actor multiple opportunities is "bad" in and of itself.  He's done the same thing to Emma Stone, Julia Roberts,  Matt Bomer, and Jonathan Groff, was well as Lea Michele.

It boils down to the part that is being offered.   If it's good or successful, it doesn't matter if Ryan or anybody else offers the role to an actor. (The reverse also applies if it's a lousy part)  

I think people make too much of Ryan offering some actors more than one opportunity.

I think the thing for Lea is, at this point in time, she's only known really for Glee. The others are known for productions outside Murphy. Like I say it didn't do Joshua Malina any harm being cast in almost everything Aaron Sorkin ever wrote, and if that's all Lea does I doubt she'll struggle for work. 

I do understand those who would like to see her branch out. I would, mostly because I'd be interested in how much on Glee was her that bugged me and how much was the writing for Rachel. But I wouldn't watch something like Scream Queens if Joss Whedon co-wrote it with Sally Wainright.

I do understand those who would like to see her branch out. I would, mostly because I'd be interested in how much on Glee was her that bugged me and how much was the writing for Rachel.

Yet it sees this new role is 180 from that of Rachel Berry.   So again, it's the role itself, not who offers it.