Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Crate

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Thornhill leads in the polls, so Selina and her staff wonder how to make her more down-to-earth. Meanwhile, Jonah meets with strategist Bill Ericsson about a job; and a pompous journalist interviews the vice president.

Jonah's Mother. Wow. So many questions addressed and raised. 
Bathroom hilarity. It's only right that Selena should have to care for Gary finally. Aaand then she abandons him. Of course. 
Happy Dan is the scariest Dan we've yet seen. 

• Love 1

Jonah saying to his mom, "Do you think you could talk to Uncle Jeff for me? I want a job on my own merits, and I think that he's the guy to get it for me," was so perfect for him.

I also loved Mike asking Siri, "Why does God allow suffering?"

• Love 10

I was very shocked that potus will resign. Of course, the rug could be pulled out from under them. 

After reading about JLD saying she can get TH to break character and laugh all the time, I lean toward the bathroom scene being adlibbed and those two just cracking up. That was a lot of fun to watch. 

That journalist guy was pretty insufferable. It sucks that politicians have to kiss everyone's ass all the time, and just not say, "I don't really like you, and you're kind of boorish." Though the fact that the crate was $1200 is a semi-legit story, I don't understand why Kent just say it was his gift to Selina for the campaign, and he paid it out of his own pocket. As long as it's not with campaign funds and was a gift, who cares?

As damaging as the comments were, I don't actually think they were a torpedo for the campaign. It costs a ridiculous amount of money to run campaigns now, and it's just stupid. I would have just said, 'you know what, we are constantly campaigning and trying to raise funds all the time. It's part of the reason why congress sucks so bad because they always have to fly home for fundraisers, rather than work in congress. We appreciate all the donations. We were just frustrated. Sorry." She would have taken a hit but I think she could have bounced back.

I actually felt slightly bad for Jonah because he knows people don't like him, but at the same time, he knows he's an asshole and doesn't care about it. 

I was very shocked that potus will resign. Of course, the rug could be pulled out from under them.

No spoilers, but: there were two episodes last night, and that storyline paid off in the second (called "New Hampshire"). Catch it on HBO Go or in the re-air this week.

Though the fact that the crate was $1200 is a semi-legit story, I don't understand why Kent just say it was his gift to Selina for the campaign, and he paid it out of his own pocket. As long as it's not with campaign funds and was a gift, who cares?

I'm not saying I think it should be a huge deal, but there was more going on there than possible misuse of campaign funds.

The crate was part of her attempt to be folksy, and show that she's one of the common people. If it's actually a $1,200 crate, that makes her look hypocritical, regardless of whether it was bought by her campaign, or it was a gift from someone.

• Love 1
(edited)

I loved the enormous portrait of Jonah hanging on the wall in his mother's living room. Hilarious. And now we finally know POTUS's last name: Hughes. Did we ever know that before?

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

I usually end up feeling sorry for the character who is the designated butt of every joke, but with this show, where every character is awful, somehow Jonah remains the worst. I never feel even the slightest twinge of sympathy for him, so I was actually a little worried when I saw him at home with his mother. It's always hard for me to hate someone when I see them interact with their mother. Luckily, those scenes just revealed the depth of Jonah's douchebaggery. Everything, from the giant portrait to Jonah coaching his mom through that phone call, was note perfect.

JLD was completely amazing, from her epic "Loser!" diatribe to her giddiness with Gary. She's easily the best comedic actor on TV.

• Love 4

When she said that, it reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where she didn't want to sit at the singles table "with all the losers" at a wedding. Honestly, I have no problem seeing Selina as a totally separate and distinct character but every once in a while JLD says or does something that totally reminds me of Elaine.

• Love 1