Type keyword(s) to search

S28: Tony Vlachos: Brawn

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

Slimy, but admittedly he's smarter than it seemed he would be.  I mean anyone seeing the bit with him sneaking behind huts talking about "spy shacks" and also playing stupid "who's a cop" games would only see an idiot.  But he's managed to manipulate people in an interesting way.  I think they feel he's both formidable but controllable at the same time (and they may not be wrong). 

He won't win though.  He'll get knocked out around F4 or F5 in a blindside.

So looking forward to seeing this guy get voted out, but I am enjoying watching him so I hope he stays around awhile.  The lies just roll off his tongue, it is totally entertaining to see how he's going to try to manipulate the other survivors.. 

Tony strikes me as one of those guys who could probably be a really good player, if he just had more self-awareness. He thinks of good plays - targeting Jeremiah with a fake idol clue was an interesting idea, and he definitely chose the right person (if you choose someone less gullible or compliant, you don't get your clue back and the gig's up). But he just can't keep his mouth shut. He needs to be better at letting things roll and giving them time to play out a little. Particularly when you're coming up on a merge soon; it seems like maybe it's in your best interests to be even more circumspect than usual about any big plays or plots you might have come up with.

Tony is reminding me a bit too much of Russell, except he's more likeable and socially aware. That said, I'm not sure he'll win..the others will see what a threat he is and hopefully vote him out next tribal council if he doesn't win immunity.

Also, his accent is driving me nuts. He's from North Jersey, so it's partially a New York accent....but he also sounds like maybe English isn't his first language, it almost seems like some kind of Hispanic accent as well. 

He is definitely entertaining - that was one of the best tribal councils I've seen in awhile.  I still don't want him to win, but I am interested in seeing what he does next. 

How can you say that? I think his accent is super-hot!

This.  I hate myself a little whenever he's blabbing on and I'm thinking he's annoying and then all of a sudden I get distracted by his accent.

Tony is part leprechaun. Lucked out finding HIIs, lucked out with ChaosKass jumping ship, and absolutely lucked out having Woo keep him over Kass.

Don't get me wrong, he played a good game for the most part, but fortune smiled on him way more than not over the course of this game.

• Love 1

I will admit that I liked Tony in the game and am happy he won.  I don't think he was close to the best player ever, but he played hard and was entertaining.  I laughed when Jeff asked him if he felt he played too impulsively (or something like that), and Tony said no he wasn't impulsive, but he kept doing stuff without thinking during the day that would put him in a bind, then he'd have to spend the nights figuring out how to dig his way out.  Um, Tony, that's kind of what being impulsive is :)

In his post-show interview with EW, he said that after spending so much time with the members of the brains tribe (he lists Spencer, Tasha, and J'Tia) he realized how important education is, and so he is using part of his money to set up college funds for his kids.  I thought that was a nice compliment to them.

• Love 4

Tony ain't too clever in any but the street-smart sense, that's to be sure.  We heard plenty of malapropisms as well as plenty of things a person from an inner-city lower-middle class/non-studious/vocational background might say.  But he's almost like the stereotype of the wily, corrupt, urban cop.  He's canny, not book smart, in other words, and apparently that can win this game with the right combination of other factors.

Tony is reminding me a bit too much of Russell, except he's more likeable and socially aware. That said, I'm not sure he'll win..the others will see what a threat he is and hopefully vote him out next tribal council if he doesn't win immunity.

Also, his accent is driving me nuts. He's from North Jersey, so it's partially a New York accent....but he also sounds like maybe English isn't his first language, it almost seems like some kind of Hispanic accent as well. 

He's actually of full-blooded Greek descent.  I imagine he did grow up speaking the language (Greek immigrants have pretty much always insisted on passing down the language because the Greek Orthodox Church still conducts many of its services in that language), so he's probably a true bilingual.

• Love 1

Oh, yeah -- I forgot that he's the Llama Whisperer!

Incidentally, I just started following him on Twitter, and apparently Russell Hantz doesn't care too much for the idea that Tony is Russell 2.0.  He tried to engage Tony in a bit of a trash-talk battle, and Tony shredded him.  It was hilarious.

• Love 2