Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation for Book 3: Change

Trailer looks good...did I see one of the Vulcan twins in there? What happened to them again? Actually to tell the truth, I have forgotten most of season 2 except for the Beginnings episode..

Yay to Old Zuko..I still hope for an Young Iroh/Korra hookup..

(edited)

did I see one of the Vulcan twins in there? What happened to them again?

At the end of last season, they went back to the NWT.  They mentioned how difficult it would be to explain to their mother what had happened to their father (him merging with the evil entity and being destroyed by Korra).

It appears that an airbender  that isn't a member of Aang's family has been born.  Considering "Changes" is the theme of this season, I'm guessing the time has come for airbenders to return.  Another "Sparky Boom Boom Man, er.. Woman"!  The Earth Kingdom / Ba Sing Se is apparently ruled by a queen (or empress) now.

It also appears that Uncle Bumi has airbending powers after all.

Edited by magicdog
(edited)

So was that Azula in the ice prison at the end of Earth Queen? The mouth/chin area did not look as old as Zuko, but the snarky evilness matched. Maybe a daughter?

Edited by jennifda
(edited)

I'll just put this here.  Without knowing any information beyond what has aired, I will speculate that Suyin is in league with the Red Lotus gang at least to some extent.  Since their motives are unknown, my guess is that they will actually have a grander purpose than we've been led to believe.  Maybe Suyin at some point in the past connected with them, and has made a pact for them to take the Avatar in exchange for them helping her take Ba Sing Se.  The biggest flaw in that theory is how it would have worked out for Korra to come to Suyin's city.  "Quick, Opal honey!  Pretend to have airbending skills so the Avatar will come collect you!"  That just doesn't work.  For that matter, how did Suyin's truth seer (forgot his name) join up with the Red Lotus so quickly?  He couldn't have known the Avatar was coming, and she hadn't been in the city that long.  

The other flaw is that Suyin would help Korra escape the Red Lotus.  She could have been doing it as a front, because she wasn't expecting Korra's kidnapping to be noticed, but if so, she did an awfully convincing job "pretending" to work against the Red Lotus.

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Love 1

I definitely think that there's something deep going on in the Red Lotus's motives, and I suspect that it's going to be pretty noble. Both times they've come after Korra, they did not attempt to kill her, but to kidnap her. I have a feeling they want to talk with her more than anything. Something I appreciate about the show is how they're emphasizing that Korra's upbringing was overly-controlled and unlike any other Avatar, who was free to travel the world. Even now when Lin gives an order, Korra accepts that she has to go with the authority figure. It's just how she's been taught to think.

Last season it was stated that Korra was locked in the compound because her parents wanted to keep her close, but this season it's claimed (or actually, said by Korra, who may be making the wrong assumption) that she was locked and guarded because of the kidnapping attempt. Which is it? And what good reason was there to keep her childhood kidnapping attempt a secret from her until now? Even if they were trying to protect her from fear, she should have been told at least when she arrived in Republic City, so she could get an idea of what kind of challenges there were out there for her. The girl was already a master of three elements at that point, she can in fact handle herself. So all this mystery around the Red Lotus seems very fishy to me. I have a feeling that they might have more of Korra's best interests at heart than some of the folks that raised her.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think the Red Lotus might be a secret organisation like the White Lotus used to be but with more focus on money and power than enlightenment or whatever their credo was. Its members are powerful politicians, nobility, business owners and bending ability is irrelevant.

Su's is part of it and so is her advisor Aiwei(?). Verrick too chich would explain why Su's housing him. 

I really dislike how the Lin-Su thing played out and for that reason I would like Su to be if not flat out evil then at least grey enough for Lin's suspicions to be vindicated. Whatever Zaheer's plan is I don't think it common knowledge amongst Red Lotus members. Once she's found out Su might end up providing leads for Team Avatar to follow up but not know anything about the kidnapping plot herself.  

Edited by patchwork

I do have a hunch Su Yin may be up to something and may not necessarily be past her beef with Lin.  In the previous episode, when she asks Korra if Lin had taught her to metal bend, Korra tells her no.  Su responds by saying Lin wouldn't have been a good teacher anyway - in a rather snooty manner.  I also think she is looking at a way to remove the Earth Queen.  There's no love lost there, and from what we've seen so far, she sees the queen as an impediment to progress - something Su prizes since her city is all about being all you can be. 

And what good reason was there to keep her childhood kidnapping attempt a secret from her until now?

Perhaps because her parents (and other guradians) didn't want her to grow up with that threat over her head.  Being the Avatar and training is enough to deal with.  I agree she could have been told about the Red Lotus by the time she left for Republic City.

And what good reason was there to keep her childhood kidnapping attempt a secret from her until now?

Probably the same reason they kept Korra's father's banishment in the last book a secret, so it could be a reveal for a plot twist in this series.

This might not even happen in Season Three, but after last night's episode, I wonder if the Equalist strand will come back into play -- the nonbenders decide that they need protection not just from the benders, but also from the spirits.

Being a little right is almost as good as being totally right, go me. 

The Equalists or just Amon could be tied back to the Red Lotus, it achieves equality through chaos. Return humans to their natural state -creatures who can't control the elements- and the biggest divide in the world no longer exists, the status quo is destroyed.