Type keyword(s) to search

Crystal: Pretty Sailor Reboot

Indeed. I am wondering if they're doing the whole manga or just the first arc. I like the first arc, but its been done before to say the least. It was nice to see Sailor V though.

I've got to say, that was the lamest fight I've ever seen. Seriously? Zoisite knocked out three senshi in one move, did serious damage to Tuxedo Mask in two, and choked out Sailor Moon. Most of which could have been avoided by doing a sidestep or jumping away or elbowing in Sailor Moon's case. Ugh, stupid.

It bugs me in shoujo manga and anime were the most basic (primal even) self defense is not used. Sometimes all the craziness can be stopped with a little violence from your end heroines.

Indeed. I am wondering if they're doing the whole manga or just the first arc. I like the first arc, but its been done before to say the least. It was nice to see Sailor V though.

Answering your question under spoiler blocks:

If they hold true to the length of the manga The Dark Kingdom/Classic arc should be wrapped up around episode 13 or 14, and the rest of the season will be R/The Black Moon.

Edited by SilverShadow
  • Love 1

I rewatched episode 7 last night, and noticed something odd:  when Minako appears on the roof at the end, there is a shot from behind, and we can clearly see she is wearing the Sailor V outfit, then we see her from the front, wearing the Sailor Venus outfit.  I thought that was odd...

In fact, I never understood in the manga why 

Minako introduces herself as Sailor Venus, the Moon princess. Wouldn't it have made more sense to keep her as Sailor V, the Moon princess, until Usagi is revealed as Serenity and then she could reveal her true Sailor Venus form?

Spoilers are for the next two chapters of the manga, and probably the next two episodes of Crystal.

You know for about 30 seconds, Usagi seemed really cool and strong, a rarity in shojo anime. She even initiates the kiss. Then it all goes to heck because she just charged in there with no plan. Ugh.

What was Venus going to say to Kunzite before Beryl interrupted?

Bump. Episode 9 is up.

The jig is up for Venus. Sailor Moon is revealed as the Moon Princess and the silver crystal appears. There is no epic Silver Crystal or My Only Love song to go with it though. BOO!!! HISS!!! As Serenity cries, a light shines on and enters Tuxedo Mask and flowers bloom in the city. Beryl appears and orders Malachite (I am sorry, I am having difficulties keeping names straight) to attack. He does and manages to swipe Tuxedo Mask and eventually ends up fleeing with him.

The soldiers regroup and Serena cries and is crushed at being the princess and losing Tuxedo Mask. The soldiers manage to rally and Luna suggests going to the moon. At the same time, the four generals gaze upon Tuxedo Mask and all of them think that he looks familiar, though Malachite denies knowing him.

Next episode looks really good. I don't understand why the series isn't being released weekly. It's not about translating/translation because a decent one can be scraped together in a few days. Why? Why! *impatient fan*

I found episode 9 kind of boring.  Lots of crying; very little action.  By this point in the manga, all the generals (except Kunzite, aka Malachite) had been killed, so we'll see what they're planning to do now that the writers have kept them all alive.  I doubt it will be to canonize the senshi-generals romances so pervasive in the fanon (except for

the Kunzite-Minako relationship that was implied in the manga

).

• Love 2

I personally love this episode, the turning point in the story. Yes, it's a little exposition-heavy, but it's good exposition in my opinion. I am curious as to why they cut Kunzite's memory from the manga, they obviously refer to what it reveals, but the manga chose to reveal it here, while the anime didn't. Keeping Jadeite, Nephrite and Zoicite alive is obviously related, can't wait to see where they go with it!

I'm an original Moonie, having grown up with Sailor Moon so I am glad to see the new anime finally following the manga at least 88-95% of the time.

Honestly, now that I'm older and can appreciate SM completely I find nothing will ever quite live up to the beauty of the manga. As other people have mentioned, the character art in the new anime somehow doesn't translate as fluidly as Naoko Takeuchi's gorgeous drawings, and the music is just shitty. Sorry, but Moonlight Denestsu (if I spelled it wrong, it's because I have up trying to tell my phone how...) defines the whole series. Even SM StarS's opening was pretty much in theme with the personality of Sailor Moon's world.

All in all, while the producers managed to stick to the story, I don't like the general anime quality of the music and stuff...then again I know this is 2014 and even BLEACH went into this hole before they murdered it. I also don't like the transformation sequences. Facking CGI just looks weird and Gumby like.

I guess if you are new to Sailor Moon, this is great - it is more accessible than the original anime and fits well with industry standards. I watched the first episodes and did tear up a little because I am happy my baby girl is getting the love she deserves, but I'm quite happy spending a few hours reading her story when I miss her...

:-) Btw, does anyone know if they're planning on the Black Moon Arc? I know it is a long way till then but even rumors about Death Busters, Dead Moon, and StarS???

Edited by BathKol
  • Love 1

Scheduling spoilers:

It's been confirmed that The Dark Kingdom Arc will end in December and the Black Moon will kick off in January. Those arcs will comprise the original 26 episode order. If it gets renewed for a second season, that would begin with S/Infinity. I do wonder if they include SuperS/Dream in season 2, what will they do to fill out season 3 along with Stars. Maybe use the half the season for side story chapters?

Edited by SilverShadow
  • Love 2

Scheduling spoilers:

It's been confirmed that The Dark Kingdom Arc will end in December and the Black Moon will kick off in January. Those arcs will comprise the original 26 episode order. If it gets renewed for a second season, that would begin with S/Infinity. I do wonder if they include SuperS/Dream in season 2, what will they do to fill out season 3 along with Stars. Maybe use the half the season for side story chapters?

If they stick to 1 chapter = 1 episode, they should be able to do Infinity, Dream and Stars, the entire manga is 52 chapters! That would mean skipping the side story chapters.

Okay. I've figure out why 52 chapters just didn't seem right to me The original chapter listing is different from the re-release, which was the basis of the English editions. Basically some chapters have been renamed, and also some have been split into multiple parts, making it 60 chapters. Wikimoon shows the changes here.

Potential scheduling spoilers for future seasons:

In the new chapter listing Black Moon does end at Act 26. Infinity/S is 12 chapters and Dream/SuperS is 11, bringing the total to 23. If they want to keep the episode order consistent could fill out the other 3 with side stories. Maybe "The Lover of Princess Kaguya" (2 parts) and "Casablanca Lily Memories"? If they didn't want to do Kaguya, since that was the S Movie of the original, maybe a couple of "Chibiusa's Diary" episodes instead.

Stars is 11 Chapters. That leaves 15 for side stories, which is a LOT, because there are only 8 left to be adapted, assuming they do 3 side story chapters for "Season 2". However if they don't do side story chapters for "Season 2" and just let it be 23 episodes, they could save all of them for "Season 3," which would then be 22 episodes. I think that could potentially work if they do the scheduling Haruhi Suzumiya style and intersperse the side stories with the plot episodes. 

Edited by SilverShadow

Woot! I called it. Oh, yeah! I was right, I was right! *obnoxious maniacal laughter*

That was so awesome, but its kinda a let down if their reason for rebirth is love. One thing that made the dub version of SM good was the girls weren't solely about getting a boyfriend, especially the season 1 finale. You know the scene. That said, its nice to see the girls and the generals get some development. The four generals are a bit, um, adult though.

Oh, man, this is going to be awesome. *spazzes out*

I don't think the purpose of the rebirth is necessarily romantic love alone. I think it's the opportunity for all of the girls to lives full lives outside of their roles as the princess and her guardians. It's getting to date a cute boy they like but also fighting with their little brother over video games and failing English tests and making their parents think maybe they're growing up too fast and hanging out at the arcade. Etc.

• Love 1

I don't think the purpose of the rebirth is necessarily romantic love alone. I think it's the opportunity for all of the girls to lives full lives outside of their roles as the princess and her guardians. It's getting to date a cute boy they like but also fighting with their little brother over video games and failing English tests and making their parents think maybe they're growing up too fast and hanging out at the arcade. Etc.

Its not that I am saying that is their sole purpose, I am just a bit disappointed that the scouts' characterization (not including Usagi) is suddenly heavily invested in relationships that only exist in their memories at the moment.

Ami, Rei, Makoto, and Rei are largely defined by their connection to Usagi, to the extent that all of them are non entities without her. None of them have families onscreen, they have no friends outside of each other and Usagi. They are rarely seen with each other without Usagi. The only person outside of their group they talk to are antagonists and Motoki. They tend to watch Usagi have fun, rather than try and have their own. They are almost ghosts.

Adding a past connection to the four generals, though interesting, isn't really going to flesh out their ambitions beyond dating really. I am glad though. I have no desire to have kids personally, but it was kind of depressing to watch Sailor Moon R and realize that in the far future Ami, Rei, Makoto, and Minako ended up with no personal lives outside of Usagi and Mamoru.

There is a lot of "telling" where the scouts are concerned, but no "show." I wonder if the four generals will actually survive the season. And if they will continue to make appearances. And if it will have an effect on later arcs...

Given the way the manga goes, I'm grateful for any extra characterization of the other senshi, romantic or no, so I was pretty happy with episode 10. It was nice to see the connection between them and the four generals confirmed on screen, and having them fight (albeit briefly) one-on-one, as it seems like Venus, Mars, Mercury, and Jupiter usually just make perfunctory appearances in battles.

• Love 1

Its not that I am saying that is their sole purpose, I am just a bit disappointed that the scouts' characterization (not including Usagi) is suddenly heavily invested in relationships that only exist in their memories at the moment.

Ami, Rei, Makoto, and Rei are largely defined by their connection to Usagi, to the extent that all of them are non entities without her. None of them have families onscreen, they have no friends outside of each other and Usagi. They are rarely seen with each other without Usagi. The only person outside of their group they talk to are antagonists and Motoki. They tend to watch Usagi have fun, rather than try and have their own. They are almost ghosts.

Adding a past connection to the four generals, though interesting, isn't really going to flesh out their ambitions beyond dating really. I am glad though. I have no desire to have kids personally, but it was kind of depressing to watch Sailor Moon R and realize that in the far future Ami, Rei, Makoto, and Minako ended up with no personal lives outside of Usagi and Mamoru.

There is a lot of "telling" where the scouts are concerned, but no "show." I wonder if the four generals will actually survive the season. And if they will continue to make appearances. And if it will have an effect on later arcs...

Hey Princess, when I was little I felt a lot the same as you about the Senshi and their relationship with Usagi, but now later on I understand their personal sacrifice.

Usagi is, to them, the light of their future and their hope. Everyone is trying to either destroy her (Nemesis, Dark Kingdom), possess her like Prince Diamond, is envious of her power such as Galaxia, or is just so nutty they'd suck the life out of a fly of they thought it'd get them somewhere (Pharoah 90, Nehelenia). And all this time Usagi (in the manga) is so very brave and believes strongly in the future she knows she will, despite the fact there is always darkness haunting her. I'm not a role model person, but I strongly admire Usagi for her faith. In many ways I can see why they viewed her as a Messiah in the Infinity Arc. Like Christ, she reminded everyone to always, always have faith. Believe in the future, and it will come true. Her character was absolutely amazing in StarS - she was so beautiful, so strong, and so selfless. I'd Iove and protect her just as much as they did. Sometimes, you give your life to someone because you truly believe in them.

Okay, Imma stop now. Tee hee. ;-)

• Love 2

Well, we got the first part of the Black Moon Arc today.

Since it's adapted from the manga, it's going to be refreshing to see The Four Specter Sister in their more vicious personalities. 

We didn't get new animation for Moon Crystal Power but the Inners got new effects for their Star Transformations.

Also, the kept the parts where Koan kills some people, although the first one we see killed is a businessman rather than a little girl.  Makes sense - there's no way in hell they have a kid killed on a children's cartoon.

Rather enjoyed the animation for Burning Mandala and Shine Aqua Illusion.  And Sailor Moon actually kills Koan with Moon Princess Halation.  So yeah, they're not pulling their punches on that.

All in all, pretty good.  Oh, and Chibi Usa is in it.

This is the part from the original where I haven't seen as much, that being said I have quite preferred this to the dubbed version from years ago as it's more grown up.

My only criticism so far is that Usagi is only 14.. I just can't believe that and like to think she's a bit older. 

My only criticism so far is that Usagi is only 14.. I just can't believe that and like to think she's a bit older. 

Maybe it's because of our western train of thought.  Ever since Greek times, heroines have been portrayed as sixteen or older.

Anyone still watching?

The last two episodes shed some light on Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Mercury. We even get to see a picture of Jupiter's parents, who died a while ago (didn't sound recent). We found out about Mercury's father, who was a painter and taught her how to play chess. What could have been interesting reveals is dampened somewhat by the last three episodes being exactly the same episode, only the character focus has switched. It was nice to see Rei and Makoto's daily life. Ami's seemed very impersonal in retrospect.

Also, I don't think I'll ever enjoy any incarnation of Chibi-Usa. Not annoying, but I just don't like her. Maybe if she were older or something.

Edited by PrincessEnnui
  • Love 2

Anyone still watching? Not that I could blame them for losing interest...

Season 1 is winding down with the end of the Black Moon arc. Crystal has been such a disappointment that I don't care if it comes back or not. What I can't get over is how many times the senshi outside of Sailor Moon seem to be neutralized in every single battle. They are so ineffective and marginalized. I don't think any of the four have gotten an attack off since they were kidnapped by the Black Moon. SMH. 

The music is totally elevator too. And the writing, the writing...

I think the most disappointing thing about Crystal is Usagi. She seems capable but lacks the resolve to actually problem solve. I mean she has the power to heal minds, but she just throws her hands up and gives up because she doesn't want to fight. Nice job dooming the world because you can't take two seconds to realize all the power and items you need to save Chibi Usa and Mamoru are right there and you aren't willing to use them despite your powers being healing and resurrection. Maddening. 

Meanwhile, 90s Usagi would try talking down Black Lady and knew that Black Lady had sense enough to realize the truth of her memories and that she was being manipulated. There's a reason about 90% of the new Sailor Moon merchandise features the 90s character designs.

• Love 2

I've pretty much stopped watching.  The Black Moon arc has been incredibly slow-paced and frustrating to try to get through.  I agree - it grates that the four inner senshi are basically one character with four different heads who share a handful of lines each episode and are denied any real characterization or individualization.   Chibiusa is slightly less grating in Crystal than in the anime, but Usagi is a much less sympathetic character (and since it feels like 80-90% of each episode is focused on her, it just makes the show unbearable).

I might tune back in if they decide to do Sailor Moon S/Infinity arc.  If the show is still running at that point.  Any idea whether new episodes after the Black Moon arc are being commissioned? 

• Love 1

There might be a season 2 this summer. IIRC, there was a Black Kingdom trailer already released by episode 9 or 10. Then again, it might have been released to generate buzz. Some of the more extreme estimates think that Crystal lost 70% of viewers by episode 10 or something. I expect a trailer for season 2 and maybe a new studio selected to animate it, if there is. I think the next episode is the last of season 1, though standard anime runs are 13 episodes, 26 episodes, 52 episodes, and so on. 

Well, I have liked the series. I find I really don't miss all the unnecessary fluff side stories the way I thought I would. Black Lady seems a lot more aggressive, Tuxedo Kamen has an offensive power (though I'm embarrassed to admit how much I miss his roses)... I'm pretty pleased with changes made. I do wish there was more to the Inner Senshi... all in all, I hope it comes back.

• Love 2

Anyone watch this past episode? Poor, poor Pluto. The girls spent a stupidly long time talking to Pluto, instead just one of them grabbing the silver crystal from Demande. 

Also, I don't know what was going through Demande's head. First, he was going to kill everyone. When that failed, he's all, "Only I can defeat Sailor Moon." And in death, he's staring at her all moon-y eyed. 

Ugh. We got Chibi Moon. I just can't with Chibi Usa. 

Anyway decent ep. Next episode is the finale. I suppose there might be a preview of some kind attached, if the series continues. Remember in the final episode of Sailor Moon R they had the clip show with Sailor Uranus and Neptune in silhouette. *squee* Maybe they can take some time to show Usagi actually being friendly with the others again. 

• Love 1

I find Chibi-Usa to be even more intolerable in the manga and Crystal series than she is in the original anime. Actually, I find her so intolerable in Crystal that I'm actually liking her a lot more in the 90s anime.

Chibi-Usa and, ultimately, Black Lady's obsession with Mamoru always creeped me out.

• Love 3
(edited)

The presumably season finale was released today. Anti-climatic as hell.

Sailor Moon gets separated from the senshi and Mamoru somehow teleports to her. Neo-Queen Serenity woke up and ran past all her friends to revive Mamoru and only Mamoru for the time being. Then she straight up told the senshi to stay put and sent Chibi Usa to help Sailor Moon. Sailor Moon says she can't use the silver crystal without Mamoru (Moon Pride y'all! [/sarcasm]) and the three one-shot the Doom Phantom with zero effort.

The three return to 30th century Tokyo and the queen rushes off to the palace, but not before upgrading the senshi's powers (da fuq?). Sailor Moon and the others prepare to leave, but Usagi really wants to see her future self before she leaves. Apparently, everyone feels the same and the future senshi and the queen see them all off.

Chibi-Usa returns to present day Tokyo to pack her things and return to the future. Usagi and Mamoru (they alone) see her off. Of course, she comes back 5 seconds later. She's a senshi in-training. The epsiode ends with a "see you soon" in French.

This show really goes out of its way to make the senshi as useless as fucking possible. Why did Neo-Queen Serenity upgrade their power after the Doom (or whatever) was defeated? Why the eff did she tell them to wait if she made them more powerful? Why does she continue to give 0 fucks about the senshi after spending at least 900 years with Mamoru? Why was Chibi-Usa given the wrong damn broach!?

This show sucks. Anyway, SMC director of animation IIRC has parted ways with Toei. There's some hope for season 2, but I don't see the series continuing after that unless its seriously retooled.

Edited by PrincessEnnui
  • Love 2

I actually thought the Black Moon arc was far and away and improvement on the Dark Kingdom arc. It felt much more thematically cohesive and the writing seemed better. The senshi as a group still took a backseat to the Moon Royal Family, but when they were around it felt much more like there was a there there. I really hope we get the Death Busters and beyond.

• Love 1

I find Chibi-Usa to be even more intolerable in the manga and Crystal series than she is in the original anime. Actually, I find her so intolerable in Crystal that I'm actually liking her a lot more in the 90s anime.

I'm the opposite. She is so much tolerable in the manga, and Crystal too. She is at her worst during the original SuperS animer season.

Why did Neo-Queen Serenity upgrade their power after the Doom (or whatever) was defeated?

She's giving them power she knows they will need to fight the Deathbusters, obviously.

Why does she continue to give 0 fucks about the senshi after spending at least 900 years with Mamoru?

I'm not really sure what you are referring to?

She's giving them power she knows they will need to fight the Deathbusters, obviously.

I'm not really sure what you are referring to?

But why bother giving them new powers for a future threat when there's an immediate threat she straight up tells them not to engage? That doesn't make sense, that's straight up bad writing.

I am referring to Neo Queen Serenity running by all 4 inner senshi to heal Mamoru, and only Mamoru, before meeting up with the past senshi. No pause, not even the trace of concern for her guardians. Straight to Mamoru and then out the palace to give the senshi new powers and straight up tell them not to bother using their new power on Death Phantom.

If Chibi-Usa is 900 years old, stuck in a child's body, then she spent at least 900 years with Mamoru, Chibi-Usa, and the senshi. She straight up ignores the injured senshi to worry about Mamoru and Chibi-Usa. She doesn't heal the senshi until after the threat is dealt with and that only happens off screen (if she did anything at all for them). Nary a care or word about dead Sailor Pluto, who is lying forgotten on the castle grounds when NQS visits the past senshi. 0 fucks about anyone not named Mamoru or Chibi-Usa.

But why bother giving them new powers for a future threat when there's an immediate threat she straight up tells them not to engage? That doesn't make sense, that's straight up bad writing.

Because she has already experienced all of this and knows it has to play out the way it has to in order for everything to work out.

Also, just because we never saw it, it doesn't she mean she doesn't or never gave any fucks about the inner senshi. She just knew that she needed to make sure Chibi-Moon joined Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask so that Death Phantom would be defeated. She obviously dealt with the Inner Senshi off-screen.

Nary a care or word about dead Sailor Pluto

Other than offering Pluto's body a place in Crystal Tokyo forever? Besides that, she knew from her past experience that Pluto would be reborn in the past, so it wasn't like Pluto was permanently dead.

All of this is one big time loop that NQS knows about. It's the same reason she sends Chibi-usa back to the past again as well at the of this story arc; she knows Chibi-usa needs to go back and time and become friends with Hotaru...

I don't think time loops or reincarnation can cover the gaps in writing on this show where Neo-Queen Serenity is concerned.

In Dragon Ball Z, regardless of how many times Goku or one of Z fighters died, everyone gets concerned. It doesn't matter if it was five minutes ago or a month ago, or whatever manner of death cheat was to be used to bring them back, there was always a reaction from the characters. Dead is dead, even if the person is reborn/brought back in DBZ.

In Crystal, the one senshi (Sailor Moon) capable of healing people doesn't even attempt to render this aid to the future senshi. And when NQS awakens, she runs by her four injured friends and comrades to revive Endymion. NQS doesn't even bother to show concern about why the Guardian of Time is away from her post and dead when she goes to greet the past senshi.

Crystal keeps telling us that Usagi/Sailor Moon/NQS really loves all her friends and never shows it. A character's actions demonstrates more about them then what the audience can reasonably assume. Its demonstrated repeatedly in Crystal that unless you're Mamoru or Chibi-Usa, Usagi just doesn't care about you or your well being. 

As far as the time loop theory goes. The only knowledge of this event that NQS provably has is that she doesn't meet with her past self. And she changes that. If she had knowledge of Nemesis and the Death Phantom and the Death Busters, then she would have taken steps to not banish the Black Moon clan to Nemesis, kept the Silver Crystal out of Chibi-Usa's hands, warned them about what's to come after, etc.

The story itself implies that the Black Moon arc is not a loop. Sailor Pluto has no knowledge of the what's going on with Chibi-Usa or the exact details of the fight outside the time gate shortly before she dies. NQS has knowledge of visiting with the past senshi, but not her past self indicating she knows they meet, but not exactly why. None of the future characters (Endymion's hologram or from Black Moon) indicate that they know anything about the events transpiring currently.

The writing for the episode/series is poor at best. Why give the senshi new powers and then all but state they are (still) useless by having NQS tell them to stay put? Yet Chibi-Usa, who got her powers literally two minutes ago, is a-OK to fight Death Phantom? How can NQS be so flippant about her injured and dead friends, but rush over to Endymion immediately to revive him?

My best guess would be: because Endymion is her husband and the father of her child, whom she has been in love with since her previous life. Not to say that excuses bypassing her friends, but I can see why Endymion may rank higher on her list of priorities.

That said, I adore Sailor Moon and even I thought it was a little cold to seemingly ignore the senshi. But I can forgive it. Maybe thet just weren't high priority in that exact moment, but they are revived so the point seems moot.

It doesn't bother you the show is written and animated in such a way the other senshi may as well be written out?

I can't think of another series where the main character with healing powers walked by four injured people, knowing damn well that she is capable of healing more than one person at a time, to heal just the one. I also can't think of another series where the supporting cast was given an upgrade in power before the final battle and than told explicitly to sit on their thumbs. This show wants us to believe that Usagi is the core, the heart of the senshi, in addition to being their leader, then goes out of its way to make Usagi look and sound as selfish, callous, short-sighted, and weak-willed as possible.

The most frustrating aspect of it is Usagi is capable of showing those qualities, the writers and animators just gloss over it with implications. The writers apparently feel that we don't need to show Usagi being concerned over her friends, all the audience needs to know is that they're friends. Usagi is dangerously close to becoming Sasuke. A friend in name only and that we have to take the writer's word for it that she cares about all her friends and treats them well. 

Sorry, but bumping this thread up to talk about the Crystal dub.

I watched the first episode of the Crystal dub and I had a more positive reaction to it than I did when watching it subbed. I think I really dislike Usagi's JP actress. I know she's the original VA, but she just grates. I could take time to actually see the animation, which still looks wonky (someone get the animators an anatomy book and height chart quick) but looks better. I know the dub is using the blu-ray with fixed scenes, but its nice not to worry about reading text.

I don't think time loops or reincarnation can cover the gaps in writing on this show where Neo-Queen Serenity is concerned.

Then obviously, our mileage varies, on this subject and on Usagi caring for her friends. Again, nothing you said really disproves Usagi/NQS not knowing how events would play out, and trusting in herself and her past self to follow things through and know they will work out.

I think I really dislike Usagi's JP actress

Mileage varies again, I guess. I think she does a great job, even if she isn't my favorite VA in the franchise.

One more bump. A drawing promoting season 2 of Crystal with the new character designer, Akira Takahashi, has been released. I almost mistook it for a classic Sailor Moon poster from the 90s. I only hope this bodes well the writing.

I was hoping for something a little more traditional, with regards to the original manga, though it looks interesting. Here is a colored version of that same preview.

Edited by AndySmith

Alright, so I watched the first episode of the season 3 (and it's labelled as such in the eye catch! Ha!) and wow, what an improvement. One of the things that bugged my most about Crystal is how inconsistent the characters looked from scene to scene. Another improvement was the characterization. I felt like Usagi actually cared about things not name Mamoru. It was nice to see her arrive at the arcade with Naru and that Naru was "in" with the Senshi business. There were small things like Rei showing concern for Minako after the fight and smiling at her reassurance that she (Minako) was fine. Not an issue now.

Music cues are still a snooze fest though. The pacing was dramatically improved as well. It looks like the final 3 arcs will take the entire season now (eps are weekly now!). I like Haruka and Michiru more without that annoying "oooooooo" theme and dramatic stills.

Hopefully they won't kill Saturn and Pluto again. 

For the curious, I watched on Crunchy Roll, but I don't advise it. They promoted that new, dumb Melissa McCarthy(?) flick at max volume. 

Alright, so I watched the first episode of the season 3 (and it's labelled as such in the eye catch! Ha!) and wow, what an improvement. One of the things that bugged my most about Crystal is how inconsistent the characters looked from scene to scene. Another improvement was the characterization. I felt like Usagi actually cared about things not name Mamoru. It was nice to see her arrive at the arcade with Naru and that Naru was "in" with the Senshi business. There were small things like Rei showing concern for Minako after the fight and smiling at her reassurance that she (Minako) was fine. Not an issue now.

Music cues are still a snooze fest though. The pacing was dramatically improved as well. It looks like the final 3 arcs will take the entire season now (eps are weekly now!). I like Haruka and Michiru more without that annoying "oooooooo" theme and dramatic stills.

Hopefully they won't kill Saturn and Pluto again. 

For the curious, I watched on Crunchy Roll, but I don't advise it. They promoted that new, dumb Melissa McCarthy(?) flick at max volume. 

Well,

If they're going to follow the manga more authentically, then Saturn will die, and Pluto won't. As it should be.

I don't have an issue with them dying, so much as how Uranus and Neptune killed them in less than 5 seconds. Only for their dumb gambit to fail. And worse, they had formed a family with each other. We never saw Uranus or Neptune apologize for that mess.