Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03 Cheaters Sometimes Win

Cheaters Sometimes Win (Season 3 | Episode 3)

8:30PM | ABC

Katie's mom comes to town, and Katie and Kathryn encourage the kids to make less than favorable decisions: Oliver cheats in shop class and Katie helps him try to get out of it, while Kathryn reassures Taylor that she doesn't need to go to college.

Airdate: October 10, 2018

No comments yet? I'll just say I love Wendie Malick. She plays the part of a loose older partygirl perfectly. Does anyone remember Just Shoot Me? Hilarious. I thought that, along with Seinfeld, they were doing some pretty funny and edgy stuff for that time

• Love 2

I have mixed feelings about this. I also love Wendie Malick, and agree with @Eataton's comments.  And Doris siccing her dog on Oliver - and her last comment "Release the bees" - was ridiculous enought to make me LOL.

However, the cheating and the lack of real consequences pushed the family too far into the "Married With Children" territory. I don't want to see this family as a bunch of cheaters and lazy bums. They're better than this.

And please, powers that be, Taylor is getting to be a caricature. Someone needs to kick her ass.

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Have we see Hans Gruber lately?

Hans Gruber was sent to live at a farm during the episode last season when George Hamilton's character died.  I think the only time we've seen him since was at the end of last season when they went to visit him and ended up adopting their dog. 

• Love 2

Is Wendy Malick going to be a regular cast member this season? It was indicated that she'll be staying on for a while at the house. I think she'd be a good addition. They should have never killed off George Hamilton's character. I liked the guy.

• Love 9

Good lesson for the kids. If you get in trouble for cheating,  escalate to providing sexual favors to get out of trouble.

If you get in trouble for providing sexual favors, maybe violence is the answer?

So Oliver has learned that the only reason not to cheat was because of the trouble he might get into, not because of any ethical problem.

Also, part of the punishment consisting of missing a week of classes and falling behind made no sense academically. I'd have rather seen how his classmates reacted to his cheating. His reputation was probably as this perfect kid who never got into trouble, and now he's no better, and possibly a lot worse, then everyone else.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Good lesson for the kids. If you get in trouble for cheating,  escalate to providing sexual favors to get out of trouble.

Wow. I thought this was grotesque. And then there was a double entendre about woodworking that I thought was inappropriate for a family show. I've enjoyed Katie's friends in the past, but Doris tormenting Oliver with the dogs was just plain cruel. I know he had one of those padded suits on, but I think you can get pretty badly bruised through those, and he was obviously terrified. I've been hanging in there because I liked Anna-Kat, especially the first season, but I think I'm out.

Edited by Beezella
commas are your friend
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Beezella said:

Wow. I thought this was grotesque. And then there was a double entendre about woodworking that I thought was inappropriate for a family show. I've enjoyed Katie's friends in the past, but Doris tormenting Oliver with the dogs was just plain cruel. I know he had one of those padded suits on, but I think you can get pretty badly bruised through those, and he was obviously terrified. I've been hanging in there because I liked Anna-Kat, especially the first season, but I think I'm out.

Yeah, I thought the stuff at the end with the principal was pretty terrible too.  And I hated Doris in this episode.  To tell you the truth, I rarely ever like Doris though, so I would be extremely happy if she would move away and leave the show.  (I would have preferred George Hamilton's character staying on instead of Doris.)  The dog attacking Oliver was awful and ridiculous.

I'm not quitting the show over one bad episode though.  I normally enjoy this sitcom more than most others that are currently airing, so it would take an ongoing and drastic lowering of quality for me to give it up.

That said, I also would appreciate it if they would ease up on how extremely stupid they've been making Taylor. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Yeah, I thought the stuff at the end with the principal was pretty terrible too.  And I hated Doris in this episode.  To tell you the truth, I rarely ever like Doris though, so I would be extremely happy if she would move away and leave the show.  (I would have preferred George Hamilton's character staying on instead of Doris.)  The dog attacking Oliver was awful and ridiculous.

I'm not quitting the show over one bad episode though.  I normally enjoy this sitcom more than most others that are currently airing, so it would take an ongoing and drastic lowering of quality for me to give it up.

That said, I also would appreciate it if they would ease up on how extremely stupid they've been making Taylor. 

The Principal has been nothing, but a moron since day 1. When he does act like an administrator, he always has to be shown that he not thinking clearly and then gives in. With Taylor, just because they gave her a boyfriend who was really stupid, doesn't mean everyone will hand wave how stupid Taylor is written at times. At this point in time, how does she get dressed or even got her driver's license. She acts at times like she doesn't know up from down. same with Oliver, one minute he learns his lesson, the next he is: "No, being a sell out is SO much better!" 

• Love 1

IMO, while Oliver might be driven to cheat if he couldn't do something, he would NOT submit a store-bought item. He is consistently shown as being smarter than that. He might pay another student to make one for him, sure; but hand in something clearly made by a machine? Nope.

• Love 10
On 10/14/2018 at 6:28 PM, readster said:

With Taylor, just because they gave her a boyfriend who was really stupid, doesn't mean everyone will hand wave how stupid Taylor is written at times.

The difference between the way they are writing Taylor and the way they are writing Trip is that Trip is likeable and Taylor is just dumb.

21 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

IMO, while Oliver might be driven to cheat if he couldn't do something, he would NOT submit a store-bought item. He is consistently shown as being smarter than that. He might pay another student to make one for him, sure; but hand in something clearly made by a machine? Nope.

You are right.  If Oliver has a character flaw, it's latching on to one bad role model after another and taking it to the extreme.  (I'm thinking of @floridamom 's buddy, George Hamilton).

But Oliver would have never done anything as obvious as handing in a store-bought item. 

• Love 3