Type keyword(s) to search

Life Below Zero - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Three hours of LBZ and not a moment of Sue?  I don't really like any of the cast but her. She is not afraid to reveal her shortcomings. The others have become all too "preachy" about how much they love their life, they love their dogs, yada, yada, yada. 

• Love 1

Watched "Next Generation" last night ... what a yawner!!!  I'm giving the show one more chance & I'm done.  (The show was absolutely pathetic:  getting water from a frozen lake, fishing with two little ones, building a tent in the bush & thawing out the "loves" SnoGo.)

11 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Watched "Next Generation" last night ... what a yawner!!!  I'm giving the show one more chance & I'm done.  (The show was absolutely pathetic:  getting water from a frozen lake, fishing with two little ones, building a tent in the bush & thawing out the "loves" SnoGo.)

I quit watching this version. Only one person I liked and even he got boring.

• LOL 1

When the "loves" were building that whatayathingy (the word escapes me, duh) to slide across right towards the end of the show there was a scene with a nice big house just behind them in whose yard they would have been attached it to trees it seemed to me. The house had an upper story with big windows and smoke coming out of the chimney. I replayed that tail end of my recording several times to make sure I wasn't seeing things. 

I can't stand those two long enough to care to go back through the whole recording for their scenes to see if I missed seeing that big house in them. Caught it during the last few moments of the show. It just seemed weird. 

• LOL 1
(edited)
On 12/25/2014 at 4:00 PM, JenJurek said:

They however have gone well and way past sustenance hunting and kill everything that moves for the sake of profit.  

Why shouldn't they use their skills to put money away for retirement?  It's not like they have a retirement plan from a job.

The Alaskan profit sharing funds are like $1500/yr.  Hardly wealth.

Edited by areca
  • Love 1

Don't know where else to put this.  Is there a forum on the show "Port Protection"?  I think it was once named "Life Below Zero:Port Protection " but a search turns up nothing.  I love this show.

• Applause 1

Why do they play that loud music when Ricko, his daughter, but especially me are listening for the moose we are tracking?  (I know they are only playing the music for the show but I find myself straining to listen for the moose too and the music is annoying.)  They also took too long to show Jessie's dog and I was worried about her but then saw her sitting in the truck.  

• Love 2
On 7/8/2022 at 8:26 PM, etexlady said:

Don't know where else to put this.  Is there a forum on the show "Port Protection"?  I think it was once named "Life Below Zero:Port Protection " but a search turns up nothing.  I love this show.

Is that the show they all lived on house boats in a cul da sak type bay area?  One boat was sinking and he was putting drums under it?

Season 5 aired in Jan. 2022!

Edited by Jeanne222

There is a new season of most of the original cast starting yesterday. There is also supposed to be a new episode this evening.  The Hailstones weren't on last night so maybe they will be on tonight.

6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Is that the show they all lived on house boats in a cul da sak type bay area?  One boat was sinking and he was putting drums under it?

Season 5 aired in Jan. 2022!

I believe there was one person who lived on a house built on the water before the first two seasons were filmed but he was not on the house boat in those seasons. And while it is said there was a season 3 I can't find it anywhere after watching the first two seasons. For the most part everyone lived on the edge of the bay and the community was connected via boardwalks they had built around everywhere. Seasons 1 & 2 were called Port Protection Alaska while season 4 & 5 were called Life Below Zero: Port Protection. On season 4 there is a couple living on the water. I have only been able to find season 1 & 2 and the first 4 episodes of season 4.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:26 PM, etexlady said:

No there is not a separate forum for it. For more info on the history of the show see the below article.

How Life Below Zero: Port Protection is different from the shows that form its name

• Useful 1

I enjoy the 5-10 minutes of Sue vs. the dog guy who harps endlessly about his philosophy of living the subsistence life or the Hailstones (all of them) or the native guy who talks over and over and over about preserving his culture.  The kinda couple (Andy and Denise) are at least tolerable if they are doing some interesting activity.  

I'm binging the show, but I don't care much for Andy's treatment of his family, but after season 13 episode 2 I had to find a place to vent about it.  So Andy instead of saying "She's strong but  not the strongest" regarding your youngest daughter,  how about ," "She's strong, but probably a bit young for me to send her up on the snow covered roof to do a chimney sweep".

Episode 14:2 First Blood

Sue, straw is a carbon rich material, not nitrogen.  Your manure is a nitrogen rich material, so backwards as you explain it, it still has a good chance at becoming a balanced compost.

I’ve watched this series for most of the years it’s been around.  I was wondering….how do they safeguard against eating animals that have rabies.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard them address that issue.  

Many kudos for Ricko DeWilde.  What a testament to fatherhood when you are your son's idol, and he wants nothing more than to grow up just like his dad.  I cannot get enough of them and would gladly watch Ricko and children the entire episode. 

Edited by eric66
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

Ricko and his Dulce and Gabbano designer glasses on last night's new episode!  He said he brings Keenan out hunting with him to get him out of the city. I think those glasses belong in the city. Lol