Type keyword(s) to search

Murdoch Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Can we talk about last night's show or would that be too spoilery?

Once it's aired in Canada it isn't a spoiler to discuss it.  We've done it this way since the start of this board.

Anyhow, it was a good episode, certainly more grim than last week's episode.

Poor Brackenreid - he adores his sons and never thinks they could do anything wrong. What a heartbreak to see your son going to jail.  It's nice that Margaret and Nomi get along so well; Nomi is a comfort to both Brackenreids.  I remember years ago when Bobby was kidnapped by mistake for a rich man's son - that was so sad even if it all turned out okay.

And what is going on with George and his kidnapper? Is she really the twin sister or the actual kidnapper? Effie Newsome is very annoying; she is no help at all to George who has a very real problem and is very condescending to him.  I think he shouldn't worry about being good enough for her.

I would not have eaten that dinner Goldie cooked either.  At least she returned the pelican and maybe she is okay now but I wouldn't trust her too much.

They haven't been showing previews of the next episode this season so far unless I am missing them.  But the write-up of next week's episode looks interesting with some old 'friends' returning.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Effie Newsome is very annoying; she is no help at all to George who has a very real problem and is very condescending to him.  I think he shouldn't worry about being good enough for her.

THIS! George has had a series of really lame love interests.

• Love 6

Do we know why Murdoch was so shocked to see the pelican at the end there?? His face indicated something profound there, but I really couldn't think of a reason... I mean, yes, Goldie _did_ steal the pelican... But, why was Murdoch especially shocked to realise that?! Does it have any other significance?!

• Love 1

Wow was I disappointed in this episode. I thought the crazy next door neighbour and the kidnapper were done. Who asked to have them back? Not me! And do we really need to give Brackenreid more angst (and screentime)? Is Thomas Craig demanding all this stuff? I'm so tired of the Brackenreid family drama. 

Stop shoving Effie Newsome down our throats! She sucked the first time we saw her and she still sucks.

This whole episode was what I've come to hate in new skool Murdoch Mysteries. Coming after last week's superb episode made this really tough to watch.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, marina to said:

Wow was I disappointed in this episode. I thought the crazy next door neighbour and the kidnapper were done. Who asked to have them back? Not me! And do we really need to give Brackenreid more angst (and screentime)? Is Thomas Craig demanding all this stuff? I'm so tired of the Brackenreid family drama. 

Stop shoving Effie Newsome down our throats! She sucked the first time we saw her and she still sucks.

This whole episode was what I've come to hate in new skool Murdoch Mysteries. Coming after last week's superb episode made this really tough to watch.

I read an interview with the show runner and he said that since it was such a dark episode he thought bringing the crazy neighbor back would inject some lightness. I just thought it was stupid. 

• Love 7

Good old Terence Meyers.  For once he wasn't a buffoon and he even got along well with Murdoch and Brackenreid.  James Pendrick is a good guy but he is also a menace to society with all the weapons he creates.  I hope that is the end of Clegg but I doubt it is.

I enjoyed this episode. I like the detecting and action more than the angst of family stuff.

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, Trey said:

Good old Terence Meyers.  For once he wasn't a buffoon and he even got along well with Murdoch and Brackenreid.  James Pendrick is a good guy but he is also a menace to society with all the weapons he creates.  I hope that is the end of Clegg but I doubt it is.

I enjoyed this episode. I like the detecting and action more than the angst of family stuff.

Pendrick has very questionable judgement when it comes to women. I like the guy but, jeez.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

James Pendrick is a good guy but he is also a menace to society with all the weapons he creates.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Pendrick has very questionable judgement when it comes to women. I like the guy but, jeez.

This time it was over a dog! Poor Pendrick. Svetlana seems okay now; I did like them together. I also like Pendrick cuddling the puppy at the end.

I love William and Julia together, but does anyone else find their attempts to be sexy so awkward? I was cringing at that last scene. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

When I saw Myers I thought "can we just not get rid of this guy?" But for once he was actually useful instead of overbearing. Happy to see Pendrick again - I love his charm and good heart. Go Svetlana! (Her portrayer is also incredibly fabulous.) I wanted Clegg to go over the Falls but you can't always get what you want.

As for William and Julia being awkward at the end? That fits them. They aren't sexy - they're geeky. And of course their attempts at being sexy are also going to be odd, because they are. Julia doing something odd like that is totally in character for her and he likes it because it is her. So it didn't bother me - I saw it coming.

An episode free of characters angsting. Hurrah!!!

• Love 9

Another good episode overall.

I hope they wrap up the neighbour Goldie and George's kidnapper storylines soon.  They are a little on the tedious side.

Murdoch Mysteries sure does love electricity/electrocutions.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Trey said:

Another good episode overall.

I hope they wrap up the neighbour Goldie and George's kidnapper storylines soon.  They are a little on the tedious side.

Murdoch Mysteries sure does love electricity/electrocutions.

They sure do. I hate the Goldie situation. I hope the next murder they investigate is hers.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I started a binge of Murdoch Mysteries a month ago and am now starting Season 8. I wish that the old thread here had not been lost in the upgrade. I'd love to see discussion of those episodes. 

I'm up to the part where Julia and William are finally able to marry - Dr. Grace and Crabtree are estranged - and Brackenreid has been beaten senseless by the thugs at the docks. It's been fun to watch these episodes in rapid succession; you pick up a lot that might have been missed otherwise. Also fun to see the actors from Frankie Drake Mysteries show up in a few episodes. That show also films in Canada with the same production company. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I'm just spitballing here, but if Goldie becomes a victim of Dorothy/NotDorothy's inevitable descent into madness I will not be sorry.

That would be a neat wrap-up.  Killing two obnoxious birds with one stone.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Just caught up to the newest episodes of season 14.

I felt the first one was rather silly. It's like MM is trying to foreshadow future events for the guest cast as if to imply Toronto of the turn of the 20th Century was the starting ground for inspired events. George as a prototype Tramp seemed to be pushing that. Although putting both Charlie Chaplin and Stan Laurel together was a good move given that both comedians toured together with Karno's travelling comedy troupe in real life.

The second one was rather grim, with Bobby being accused of killing someone. I had naturally thought Bobby was being framed until the end when it was revealed he really did kill the guy, but not with intent. He'll probably spend time in prison for manslaughter, but it won't be easy for him, seeing he's the privileged son of a police inspector.

Can't be a season of MM without Terrence Meyers popping up. He definitely was his best this episode. And it was good to see James Pendrick again after being away for awhile. I was wondering what the actor who portrayed him, Peter Stebbings, was up to. And Allen Clegg may be the most loathsome MM villain around, and that's saying something with James Gillies and Eva Pearce. I so want to see him get his in a most horrible manner!

And that scientist couple were pretty creepy. But, like all MM episodes, it's the one who don't normally suspect to be the one committing the crime.

George had better watch himself this year. That Dorothy is going to try and ruin him. And Effie really isn't good for him. George deserves better. And while Goldie comes off as being pushy and annoying, I do feel that she misses her husband dearly, and that she sees Julia as someone she can turn to for companionship.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

I was wondering what the actor who portrayed him, Peter Stebbings, was up to.

He's doing a lot of directing these days on shows like Frankie Drake, Killjoys and the mini-series The Sounds.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 1/26/2021 at 12:00 PM, Trey said:

More than a little. Who thought they were a good idea?

I liked this one, excepting the tedious just mentioned. Unexpected twists and really cool examination of scientific practices. I also didn't even recognize Tom Rooney and Maeve Beaty! Always a pleasure to see either one of them. (In another lifetime, I worked with both of them. They're sweethearts.)

• Love 4

I really enjoyed this episode with the two totally different plots.

My favourite small bits were Brackenreid, after telling Higgins to get rid of the puzzle and then sitting at the desk telling Higgins to hand over his piece of the sky; the other bit was the look on George's face when Higgins is doing the exposition on why the woman killed her co-worker - George can see that Higgins and the killer (forgot her name) have the exact same work ethic but it never dawns on Higgins.

I thought at first it was the daughter who killed her father but it turned out to be her boyfriend. 

I have noticed that when Higgins and George are both in the episode, Higgins seems dumber and lazier than usual; but when just Higgins is there he is actually fairly competent. I do like their friendship.

I still don't know what's up with Miss Hart and her new boyfriend but I am sure it will figure into the plot sooner or later.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5

So a theme of being trapped in marriage. I liked the twist of the mystery and the other stories danced around it nicely. And I hand to it Miss Hart. Playboy loved using her for shock value. She turned his game back on him. Well played.

• Love 6

The murder mystery was very good and well plotted with an interesting twist.

I am somewhat concerned now for Miss Hart.  She might end up over-playing her hand - the boyfriend seems a little unstable.

I spent most of the episode feeling badly for Watts and then worrying that he might do something to endanger his own career/life.  At least he has Brackenreid at his back, even if somewhat grudgingly.

• Love 6

George is also the one who writes the  pulp fiction.

I really enjoyed this episode. I thought it was far superior to last night's Miss Scarlet and the Duke which also involved that couple trying to break free from a prison.

I'm glad that Julia stated that they have to get out soon because the acid will eat through the table because duh, yes.

This is the first time I've like that reported. She and Watts sparked but that relationship is going nowhere.

I don't like Ralph Fellowes but I like how Colin Mochrie plays him.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It has to be the end of Goldie. Right? Right?

I am counting on it.  I'll be glad to see the end of Ralph Fellowes when the time comes too.

It was an exciting episode with them trying to solve the clues while dodging electric shocks and killer bees and whatnot.

William and Julia were right on the ball and got to the first answer quickly while Brackenreid and George kept asking for clues.

I almost felt sorry for Miss Cherry.  I know she's done some awful things to our heroes but she was very helpful in saving them and then got rejected by Watts. 

13 hours ago, auchic said:

I couldn't stop laughing at George insisting it was James Gillies. He definitely knows how this show operates.

Transplanting Gilles dead brain! George always has some wild ideas.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It has to be the end of Goldie. Right? Right?

Fellowes, Gillies, Clegg, Meyers, et. al. would beg to differ. 😆

I really enjoyed this episode but was kind of upset when Colin Mochrie's name appeared 30 seconds into the credits and gave away the whodunnit.

• Love 5
On 9/6/2019 at 1:59 AM, Camera One said:

Season 12 - Episode 17/18 - Finale Part 1 & 2

So are they keeping open the possibility that Miss Hart killed that Inspector with the paperweight?  I've never liked how ungrateful Miss Hart was towards Julia, and it was really testing our patience to wait an entire season to show her acting on her ambitions.  It might be fun to see Murdoch get the better of her next season, though.  I hope we don't have to wait too long for that.

It was quite a twist to have John Brackenreid hiding so much information and a contrast to his personality we've seen over the second half of this season.  It's a little hard to believe he was having sexual relations with multiple women already.  Was that normal for young men at the time?  It's a little sad we won't see him around the station if he's going to become an actor.

I just finished Season 12 in my binge (nice to be able to respond to some posts). I didn't get the sense that Miss Hart stole the paperweight or killed the inspector - I thought she only planted the bullet? I'm hoping that there is a "cat and mouse" game between Murdoch and Miss Hart in Season 13; she is a worthy adversary for him. It still surprises me that a non-doctor can be the coroner. 

John Brackenreid really grew on me during his time as a constable. I am going to miss him on the show. Glad that he survived and is going to pursue a less dangerous profession. 

I liked seeing Julia and Detective Watts bonding in the bar. 

My other main takeaway from Season 12 is that I can't believe I like Ruth! It was a brilliant idea to have her start working in the hospital (and be a published star author!) due to her family's recent loss of fortune. They make her likeable! 

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 3

There only seems to be this one long thread, so I'll post my comment here.

I think it would be conducive to more comments being posted if this forum was broken down by season and episode.  People are seeing the show at different times in Canada and America and then other countries, so we're posting at all different times.  This makes it it confusing and spoilerish to try and post about, say 14/1 -- which just started in America -- when Canadians have been seeing season 14 for two months and many others won't be seeing the shows for many more months.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

It used to be like that, but, apparently, the forum wasn't active enough to use all that bandwidth creating separate threads.  So USA folks either stop reading when the new season comes out in Canada & resume when the US gets the new episodes, or continue reading & risk reading spoilers. Neither solution is ideal. When it first was reduced to this single thread, I posted quite pointedly about my displeasure and the post was promptly deleted. The mods then were very sensitive about criticism. (It wasn't only my post - it was a bunch of posts because they were all "off topic.")

I have been watching MM on ionPlus - they run MM non-stop all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, ending at 1 AM. I think it starts at 11 AM. I didn't realize how much I miss Dr.Grace and how badly I felt for George when Edna disappeared after her abusive husband was killed.  But I think I'd rather see heartbroken George than Effie Newsome (of the Mimico Newsomes) as his girl. She's entirely too controlling,

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It used to be like that, but, apparently, the forum wasn't active enough to use all that bandwidth creating separate threads.  So USA folks either stop reading when the new season comes out in Canada & resume when the US gets the new episodes, or continue reading & risk reading spoilers. Neither solution is ideal. When it first was reduced to this single thread, I posted quite pointedly about my displeasure and the post was promptly deleted. The mods then were very sensitive about criticism. (It wasn't only my post - it was a bunch of posts because they were all "off topic.")

I have been watching MM on ionPlus - they run MM non-stop all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, ending at 1 AM. I think it starts at 11 AM. I didn't realize how much I miss Dr.Grace and how badly I felt for George when Edna disappeared after her abusive husband was killed.  But I think I'd rather see heartbroken George than Effie Newsome (of the Mimico Newsomes) as his girl. She's entirely too controlling,

I am in the middle of Season 13 on Acorn - and have basically been avoiding the Forum so that I would not be spoiled.

I definitely miss Dr. Grace. I thought that she was the best of all of the coroners and had very interesting and independent storylines. Her departure left a gaping void. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

We get CBC here, so we get the new episodes at the same time Canadians do.

• Love 2

Almost skipped this one when I saw the preview, because Newsome shenanigans get tired really quick, but there was lots of Watts to keep me happy, and I completely relate to Murdoch's doneness with "King Rupert" and the rest of the wackiness.

• Love 7

I am another US folk lucky enough to get CBC (an advantage of having Windsor just south of Detroit) so I can watch the new season first run and then get to watch it again on Ovation or Acorn - I enjoy them both times.  

I am not normally a big fan of the Mimico episodes but last night tickled my funny bone - mostly the OTT "royals" and the reactions of everyone else (especially Watts and George) to the insanity.  But my favorite bit was watching Brackenreid weigh the offer to become Minister of Justice only because the queen wanted to get rid of Higgins -it may just have been a reaction to a less than stellar day at work but I just cracked up.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

The Mimico Newsomes, always hilarious but best in very small quantities.

I liked the reactions of Murdoch and Brackenreid to New South Mimico - they can just lift an eyebrow and convey their feelings.

Ruthie sure wanted her sister-in-law guillotined!  They were all a little bloodthirsty.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Trey said:

The Mimico Newsomes, always hilarious but best in very small quantities.

I liked the reactions of Murdoch and Brackenreid to New South Mimico - they can just lift an eyebrow and convey their feelings.

Ruthie sure wanted her sister-in-law guillotined!  They were all a little bloodthirsty.

Yeah, this episode started out mildly amusing but became more and more tedious as it went on. Will there be any legal consequences for these shenanigans? Of course not.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Trey said:

The Newsomes are really a crazy bunch. And George trying to figure out the musical/colour/symbol language was a hoot. I even liked Effie here.

I enjoyed this episode. Fourteen seasons in, it must be hard to come up with new, interesting shows.

• Love 8
On 2/22/2021 at 12:51 AM, buckboard said:

There only seems to be this one long thread, so I'll post my comment here.

I think it would be conducive to more comments being posted if this forum was broken down by season and episode.  People are seeing the show at different times in Canada and America and then other countries, so we're posting at all different times.  This makes it it confusing and spoilerish to try and post about, say 14/1 -- which just started in America -- when Canadians have been seeing season 14 for two months and many others won't be seeing the shows for many more months.  

Like Prevailing Wind said, there's not enough traffic in this little corner of the forum to justify the expanded bandwidth that a multi-thread subforum would need. Sorry.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

Like Prevailing Wind said, there's not enough traffic in this little corner of the forum to justify the expanded bandwidth that a multi-thread subforum would need. Sorry.

I think this might be a self-fulfilling prophecy.  It's too difficult to figure out which episode is being discussed when someone says, "I really liked last night's episode."  It's just my opinion that people would be more likely to post if it was clear which episode is being discussed when you have some people watching weeks or months after (or before) others.  

How about this?  Apparently I'm not going to change any minds about individual per-episode forums.  Could posters try to do this?  Indicate when you post which Season and episode you are discussing?  "(14/01.  Murdock and the Tramp.)  I enjoy episodes with real people and Murdock's far-out inventions.  Was the emcee a real person?"

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, buckboard said:

I think this might be a self-fulfilling prophecy.  It's too difficult to figure out which episode is being discussed when someone says, "I really liked last night's episode."  It's just my opinion that people would be more likely to post if it was clear which episode is being discussed when you have some people watching weeks or months after (or before) others.  

How about this?  Apparently I'm not going to change any minds about individual per-episode forums.  Could posters try to do this?  Indicate when you post which Season and episode you are discussing?  "(14/01.  Murdock and the Tramp.)  I enjoy episodes with real people and Murdock's far-out inventions.  Was the emcee a real person?"

I think that's great idea.

• Love 1