Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E31: Power of Veto #10

Lamb18
  • Start Topic

48 minutes ago, Gummo said:

What's wrong with Angela wearing a ring so she doesn't get hit on? She's certainly not the only woman who does that. And maybe when she's out shopping, she just wants to, I dunno, shop.

Exactly! Plenty of women wear rings on their ring finger for that exact reason.  I do admin work at a law firm and also man the front desk and there are many times I've purposely wore a ring on that finger so that when guys hit on me (and it happens all the time to receptionists), I can politely wave my finger and pretend I'm taken.  It's much easier and less confrontational than telling some creepy guy you're not interested. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

At a minimum, a welder is capable of fusing two pieces of metal together; a welding fabricator can actually design and build things via the welding process.

This makes sense as they have shown that Sam has a good degree of artistic talent.

ETA: I agree JC should be gone, or at least given a penalty nom. That would have shaken him up at least.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Exactly! Plenty of women wear rings on their ring finger for that exact reason.  I do admin work at a law firm and also man the front desk and there are many times I've purposely wore a ring on that finger so that when guys hit on me (and it happens all the time to receptionists), I can politely wave my finger and pretend I'm taken.  It's much easier and less confrontational than telling some creepy guy you're not interested. 

Curious; in my experience, the reverse is true for guys - wearing a wedding band often got you targeted for... unwelcome attention.

• Love 2

Yeah.....I'll have to take your word for it.  I have never known anybody who has looked at a man's wedding ring and said: "Oooh, he's married? Well NOW I want him."  On the other hand, women getting hit on and harassed pretty much everywhere they go is extremely common.

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 6

I like Sam. I think she's cute. And unusual, for this game.

I also like Brett because he just goes with the flow, no matter how dumb he looks. You saw that ridiculous costume. He doesn't care.

The parts I like the most of the episodes are the competitions and however the final speeches are made (even though I've been spoiled).

The stuff about showmances, and the so-called plotting bore me.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, mikewho said:

I like Sam. I think she's cute. And unusual, for this game.

I also like Brett because he just goes with the flow, no matter how dumb he looks. You saw that ridiculous costume. He doesn't care.

I think that must be what makes me like Brett.  He seems like a fun mellow dude bro.  Did his arms get tired being straight out like that? Yikes. 

KC is very pretty. Even with hair up.  I would like to see it down and styled, just once! 

Sam is bored outta her mind. 

Tyler and Angela are alright.  

JC thinks he is running things?! 

18 hours ago, North of Eden said:

If there was ever any doubt that BIG BROTHER is no longer the reality show it was in the early part of the turn of the century, the fact  that the broadcast show totally ignores the furor  caused by JC when it should have been MINED for what it was...that was some hardcore reality that people like JC exist and do uncool stuff. Instead, we get prepackaged filler segments about a fake Fabio (He actually did look pretty good) Showmance scorecards and a never-ending Veto comp.

Reality shows do have the potential to be more real and cutting, though those who have grown up with them in the last decade may not even realise that.  Sometimes I don't mind what I call the 'comedy reality' section of reality tv, it can have laughs (like the funny sound effects and situations) and doesn't have to be useless, but when it tries to milk sentiment suddenly it won't work.  Big Brother is produced for a middle of the road audience, the same ended up happening to The Amazing Race.  In TAR's earlier seasons you had genuine drama as it was harder but now it's all rather watered down and very light stuff.  I don't know how the American BB developed as I only followed it from Rachel's win onwards but I know BB elsewhere could be more real at some point (without scripted speeches and the soft piano sounds when we're supposed to be moved).

I think the move to a zeleb version is also a backwards step, BBOTT could have developed into a more real alternative.  Celeb reality shows are normally less real by their nature because they are pampered more and are often paid plenty just to appear for a short season.  It's bound to be even more manipulated.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

Yeah.....I'll have to take your word for it.  I have never known anybody who has looked at a man's wedding ring and said: "Oooh, he's married? Well NOW I want him." 

Ok - for starters, let me say I generally hate wearing rings or other jewelry of ANY kind.  It’s not that I dislike them, but I’ve worked too many jobs where they can be a workplace hazard.  My college class ring came close to costing me my ring finger once (ring got snagged by some machine gearing) - and when you’re frequently working in close spaces where active electrical current is involved, wearing a conductor on your hand is generally not a good idea.  ;)   

That being said, in my younger (and admittedly better-looking) days right after I first got married, i wore my wedding band to make my wife happy - and was surprised at how much I was suddenly getting hit on from unexpected quarters.  Now I knew I hadn’t suddenly gotten a lot cuter overnight, and it took me a little while to figure out what was going on - but when I did I took off the wedding band for a while to test my theory, and the “activity” quickly subsided.  As near as I could figure out, a man wearing a wedding band signals to some women:

1. He’s officially certified to not be a commitmentphobe.
  2. There’s something about him someone obviously considered marriage material.
  3. The whole “forbidden fruit” thing.
  4. He represents a “challenge”.

The only caveats I’ll throw in here are (a) I was a LOT younger and better-looking back then, (b) most of this was back in the mid-80s when sociosexual mores were a great deal more -ah- relaxed, and (c) most (all?) of the females involved did not necessarily incorporate a full complement of tacos in their combo platter.

(Especially the #4s - believe me, you want to stay away from this crop.  They’re VERY self-absorbed, totally obsessed with their own looks, and derive their sense of self-worth from their perceptions of their own desirability.  Telling them “No thanks, I’m married” just makes them push that much harder.  Pretty damn fucking scary.)

15 minutes ago, Rachel RSL said:

On the other hand, women getting hit on and harassed pretty much everywhere they go is extremely common.

No doubt whatsoever.  As I told both my daughters when they started hitting adolescence, 90% of guys are absolute douchebags - and of the remaining 10% half of THEM are douchebags too, but just better at hiding it.  Sifting down to the 5% who are actually somewhat decent human beings will take time, but it’s worth the effort to avoid a lot of pain and heartbreak.  And, of course, they both ignored me - until later.  :>

• Love 4
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Oh my goodness, yes.  Prior seasons ran, what - 10 weeks usually?  This 99 day thing is incredibly boring, and it's too bad because this is a pretty good cast with very little to do anymore.

Maybe if they gave them things to do, like long tasks as has happened on some other BBs elsewhere.  People don't have to just lounge around talking strategy all day.