Type keyword(s) to search

The Good Karma Hospital - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I watched the first episode and was unenthralled, to be honest. I wanted to love it because I love dramas set in places like India, but this just fell short for me. For those who've watched at least one season, does it get better and why?

Yes, it gets better.  For me, it was calm yet boring at first.  I rejoined it a few months later and have watched all episodes.  I really enjoyed it and can’t wait for Season 3.  

Its not particularly funny, not political, not hair-raising.  It won’t have you clenching your fists or get get your adrenaline going.  It’s sweet, mildly humorous drama in an exotic and beautiful setting.  

I love it...

• Love 6

I like the show for giving us multiple views of India, so I liked it from the very beginning. I was well aware of the poverty so it's nice to see a variety of locals and non-locals and the rustic scenery. Love the colorful buses, the holidays, and the upbeat people, especially when they can manage to be upbeat despite poverty and hard times. A Hindu friend of mine and I frequently talk about how so many people in poor nations show us how one can be happy while many Americans with so much more cannot.

I also like all the characters on the show, which is a rarity for me. Usually, there's one character who's just too ridiculous to like. 

• Love 1

I am really enjoying the third season. I'm taking it slowly because it will be over all too soon. Poor Dr. Varma, just can't catch a break. He always tries to do the right thing, but it never goes easy for him.

I agree, people seem rather content with their lives for the most part, and it's refreshing and uplifting to watch.

Started watching Season 1 after seeing Amanda Redman (Dr. Fonseca) in New Tricks. The photography of India is great. I like the interaction with the characters - the perfect easy show for a crazy time. 

• Love 1

Finally finished Season 3. Loved this show. Amanda Redman is fierce and wonderful as Lydia. I fell for the rest of the cast and the beautiful country. Fingers crossed for Season 4 because I need to know what happens next! 

• Love 2

None of the articles I've read about season four mention the actor

Spoiler

who plays Gabriel.  Other main character actors are mentioned as returning but not him so I'm worried. 

Not sure if that's considered a spoiler but just in case...

On 12/9/2021 at 9:36 AM, rove4 said:

None of the articles I've read about season four mention the actor

Reveal spoiler

who plays Gabriel.  Other main character actors are mentioned as returning but not him so I'm worried. 

Not sure if that's considered a spoiler but just in case...

Interesting. Hard to believe they don't know by now. It's hard to imagine the show without the actor, but that could be an interesting new direction.

Drs. Fonseca and Ram, Mari, and Greg make the show for me. I'm happy as long as they return and as long as the replacements are actors who play characters of the region.

Each season, this show features at least one recurring European character. Is this what it takes to keep the audience interested in the show?

I found it, Mojito, on Acorn Tv, right?  Both my mom & I LOVE this show but we hate paying for a million and one subscriptions, so I think we are going to wait a month or two and then watch the show all at once.  Maybe we then could see all the episodes in just the trial period.  Thanks for keeping me updated!👍

• Love 1

Monday's the airing of the final episode. Only 6 again, I think. But less really is more. 

I have a suggestion before anyone starts commenting on the shows. How about writing in caps which episode you're commenting on at the beginning of your post, like EPISODE 1 and do individual posts for each episode so that those who aren't binge-watching can choose which comments to read? I choose not to follow media coverage of shows and I don't watch previews. I'd rather know nothing before I see a show.

Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Just watched EPISODE 1 OF SEASON 4. I have really missed this show - - and the theme song which permeates throughout. Loved seeing Amanda Redman again - she is the reason I started watching. Interesting to see which cast members did not return. Looking forward to more. Same excellent quality and storytelling. 

• Love 1

The Good Karma Hospital season 5 release date

The fifth season hasn't been commissioned yet, but ITV is expected to make an announcement in the coming months, with many tipping the show for a return.

This is what creator Dan Sefton said on the chances of a fifth series when What To Watch spoke to him earlier this year...

"The show has a loyal fanbase. We're hugely appreciative of that fanbase and as long as people want to watch it, I think it will be made. I think we'll continue to evolve it gradually as seasons go by but we don't need to reinvent everything, I think that's the trick with TV, it needs to be a slow evolution.

"New characters come, favorite characters move on and if the show is strong, if the tone of the show is strong and we know what it is, it can grow with that and get better and better. I think this is the case with this show, it has the potential to keep going and to continue to be entertaining because that's the ultimate goal."

• Love 3
On 4/19/2022 at 12:35 AM, HerkyJerky said:

Mojito, I LOVE this show as much as you do and I've watched all 6 episodes of S4.

Herky, you have no self-control, do you? I'll bet a package of Oreos or a bag of Doritos doesn't last in your home.  

I'll sign up for Acorn in the next couple of days and then I'll buy a bag of potato chips and see which lasts longer: the uneaten chips or all 6 unwatched episodes of this show. 😏

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojito said:

Herky, you have no self-control, do you? I'll bet a package of Oreos or a bag of Doritos doesn't last in your home.

Mojito, you know me so well!😁  The only self-control I have is at the grocery store.  If I don't buy it, there's no way I can eat it.  LOL!

• Love 1

SERIES 4, EPISODE 1

Wow. They didn't mess around with getting into some serious stuff.

What's with Dr. Nair? He's sure out of sorts for a newly-ish wed. Something not going well at home? Lydia seemed unusually irritable at the morning meeting. What's with all the crankiness? I suppose it's been awhile, lots must've been going on in my absence...I hope AJ will be back. I've not done any advanced reading, so I don't know who might show up this season.

I guess it's been a few years since Series 3 was filmed. Ruby actually  looks a little older (and I'm not just talking about the surprising strands of gray in her hair). Nice to see that the actress isn't so vain. Yet. 

So I guess another downstairs Downton Abbey employee will be this series' European guest? It's too bad that they feel they need the draw of a white European.

How lucky of Ruby to run into another doctor on the road. I hope he'll be around to provide some entertainment for Mari. She deserves some fun.

It's funny how the hospital grounds is like a park/playground.

• Love 1

I don't understand why they always feel the need to have some demanding, needy, rude Brit join the story. It just takes time away from more interesting characters whose stories I'd rather see. I guess it's probably reflective of what India has had to put up with for eons, but ugh.

I hated that both Mari and Ruby punched Gabriel. Yes, he did Ruby wrong, but violence is not okay.

Why are there always so many people at the hospital? It's basically a carnival. Is it a hot hang-out spot? Do they really manage to treat huge numbers of people? Does every sick person's whole family just camp out there until the patient is ready to go home?

Finally finished the six episodes. Came here earlier but then learned something I'd just as soon not know before I'd seen all the episodes so I avoided this page. 

On 4/27/2022 at 11:54 AM, Enginerd said:

I hated that both Mari and Ruby punched Gabriel. Yes, he did Ruby wrong, but violence is not okay.

Wow. 🤨

Doubt that I'm ruining anything for anyone by posting this picture, which really gave me a good chuckle. 

greg_philip.thumb.png.88fd3b1b049d73c7d09584a9d3d348be.png

On 5/8/2022 at 6:14 PM, mojito said:

Doubt that I'm ruining anything for anyone by posting this picture, which really gave me a good chuckle. 

I can't see anything 🙃

It's kind of hard to discuss the show without knowing who's seen what. Hopefully it's not a spoiler to someone to say that Lydia's ex was really a piece of work. I was not sure what to expect with that whole story line, but I liked how it played out.

I joined an FB page dedicated to people who like the show, but every post is either how much one loves the show or how much one loves looking at Dr. Varma. No real discussion to be had.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, it is hard to discuss the show without a dedicated page for each episode. It seems to me that one month should be enough time to allow those who jumped onto Acorn to watch 6 shows, does anyone agree with that?

I like how the show arranged/rearranged the staff to allow for the introduction of new faces. Initially, I didn't, but I can understand how this worked out best.

Edited by mojito
  • Love 2

I was pleased to see a happier story line for Mari -- she so deserves it. Also, I kept wondering if the British widower who came back (from the first season) would get together with the British mother who was at loose ends after her son grew up. Maybe in Season 5...

I do wonder about Ram and why he seemed so down, with no mention of his wife or son.

• Love 2
On 5/14/2022 at 7:30 PM, ForReal said:

Also, I kept wondering if the British widower who came back (from the first season) would get together with the British mother who was at loose ends after her son grew up. Maybe in Season 5...

Oh, I hope not. This is a grown-up show. Not an adolescent Hallmark show. 

• LOL 1