Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E19: Storm Surge

• Start Topic

I'll add a link when Disco posts it.  And here it is.

Captains take on the steepest waves yet in an epic final surge to hit their quotas; Jake fights through a debilitating crew injury on deck; Josh gambles big on his crab count; engine failure leaves Sig dead in the water.

Apparently this is the season finale.

WOW!  STOP THE PRESSES!   Josh Harris made his quota!

The show would have you believe this is the Holy Grail of crab fishing, an honor so rare that even the most seasoned captains will now have to avert their eyes when Josh Harris passes by because they are not worthy to look upon the Chosen One.    The way I see it, Josh's only real achievement is his uncanny knack of working the phrase "my dad" into every sentence that leaves his stupid mouth, which in turn compels the cameraman to automatically pan over to the picture on the wall.

Did anyone else notice all the crab littering the deck of the Cornelia Marie when that guy got his leg caught?  Is that normal?   Because I don't ever recall seeing something like that in all these seasons.   Many of those crabs were alive, but they were all just laying around like refuse.  The camera lingered on deck for awhile after they helped the injured guy and I was shocked by the way the crew was literally trampling live crabs underfoot.  You could see the crabs raising their claws and the crewmen's boot coming down solidly on top of them, crushing them.

Hey Sean, just because somebody's a dad doesn't mean he deserves kindness.   I know you lost your dad, but I'm guessing your dad never raised his fist to you in anger, and certainly not on national television, the way Wild Bill menaced Zack in that clip.   You put your finger on it when you said that in all the time Zack has been on the Brenna C., Wild Bill has never called once to see how he was doing.   It's unfair of you to place the peace-making burden on Zack.   Zack is the victim.   He's the one whose father abandoned and abused him over the years.   Yet you're all but insisting that he go mend fences so that you can feel good about yourself.   Stay out of it.

Mandy Hansen is now officially the coolest person on this show.   Her calm in the face of pitching seas and a ship without power was beautiful to behold.   Her expression was like that of ship's figurehead. 

It occurs to me that Jake is starting to look like Abraham Lincoln.

For a season finale, it went out with a whimper.   Remember past seasons, when the Hillstrands would set off fireworks and create mayhem?   This show is tired and old.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, millennium said:

Hey Sean, just because somebody's a dad doesn't mean he deserves kindness.   I know you lost your dad, but I'm guessing your dad never raised his fist to you in anger, and certainly not on national television, the way Wild Bill menaced Zack in that clip.   You put your finger on it when you said that in all the time Zack has been on the Brenna C., Wild Bill has never called once to see how he was doing.   It's unfair of you to place the peace-making burden on Zack.   Zack is the victim.   He's the one whose father abandoned and abused him over the years.   Yet you're all but insisting that he go mend fences so that you can feel good about yourself.   Stay out of it.

I'm going to give Sean a pass for NOW on this.   Unless you have experience with abusive relationships you just don't get it.    To him it was a spat between father and son.   Someone has to make the first move and if Bill won't do it, Zach should.     He's also speaking from his own personal experience of his losing his dad.    He doesn't want Zach to feel even more of a sense of a loss.

When Sean is a little harder and learned more, he will see that its not on the victim to fix the relationship.     That not ever dad is like his dad.   

• Love 5
6 hours ago, millennium said:

Mandy Hansen is now officially the coolest person on this show.   Her calm in the face of pitching seas and a ship without power was beautiful to behold.   Her expression was like that of ship's figurehead. 

Mandy is who Sig had been looking for in Jake Anderson.  An heir apparent, someone to learn from him, and someone who knows and loves Sig and can deal with his moods.   She'll be a great captain of whatever sort of ship she chooses.

• Love 4

Chiming in to agree with those who think Sean's well-meaning advice is probably not appropriate for the Zack/Bill issue.  In spite of many attempts on my part to heal the relationship with my abusive mother, all that would happen is that she would respond enough to get me to let my guard down, and then she would swoop in and attack me emotionally again.  I'm afraid that's what Bill would do to Zack, because it feels like it's in his (Bill's) DNA to take his anger out on Zack . . . Bill has referred several times to some of his crew members (looking at you, Nick) as "like a son."  At which point, I usually yell, "No!!!!  You don't want to be like a son to Bill!!!  He screams at and threatens to hit his son!!!"

I'm actually kind of proud of Zack since the last scene of the episode was NOT Zack getting on a plane.  It says a lot that Bill NEVER called the Brenna A to see how HIS SON was doing.  I do kind of wonder who picked Bill up from the hospital, or whether he went into rehab for a few days.  The doctor said they were doing the hip replacement as outpatient surgery, and that Bill would need help when he got released.  Nothing on his SM about Zack being there.

And those scenes with Jake Anderson when he first joined the Northwestern.  He looked to be about 12 years old!  I was touched by his telling Sig how much he meant to him on "The Bait."  It appeared that Sig was, too.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I'm going to give Sean a pass for NOW on this.   Unless you have experience with abusive relationships you just don't get it.    To him it was a spat between father and son.   Someone has to make the first move and if Bill won't do it, Zach should.     He's also speaking from his own personal experience of his losing his dad.    He doesn't want Zach to feel even more of a sense of a loss.

When Sean is a little harder and learned more, he will see that its not on the victim to fix the relationship.     That not ever dad is like his dad.   

Keeping it short to avoid going too far off topic but........I moved a few states away from home in my early 20's and brought very few boyfriends home after that.  I had a standard speech which Mr Sigma heard (and listened to!) that, shortened, basically said "I've told you about my Father.  When you meet him he's going to be charming and funny and your best pal and talk about sports and movies and all sorts of stuff.  Do not be fooled, he likes to charm everyone and look like the good guy but eventually, maybe not this trip but eventually, he will verbally cut you, yell, pout or give the silent treatment and you'll have no idea why. He is, deep down, a petulant bullying child"  The whole speech was longer and I used examples from my childhood but you get the idea.  Most important I included some things that made sure they knew and understood if they couldn't be on MY side and if they even said one word about how great he seems and he's not like I described (yes because I warned you he might be on best behavior which is all fake) and tried to convince me maybe I'm overreacting and should be nicer to him.......they were gone.  I wouldn't put up with a guy who tried to gaslight or down play my experience.  

Anyway some got it, some didn't, Mr Sigma really got it; another reason we're the couple we are.  But to bring it back around to the episode; Sean knows the "charming" Bill, the one who hangs out at the bar after the fishing trips and laughs on The Bait and puts up with little pranks between the ships and their crew.  Just like I warned boyfriends seeing Dad at Thanksgiving dinner is not "knowing" his entire personality seeing Bill in social and filming situations is NOT actually knowing Bill and as much as he means well every parent child relationship is different.  Sean is projecting his good times with his Dad and probably thinking of his fathers death and the idea of if the worst happens you should have a chance to mend fences and say goodbye.  Zach doesn't and can't see it that way.   I think this is one of those things that's going to touch a nerve with Sean and Zach and the viewers but for different reasons just like there are so many different experiences and it's very, very hard to see how bad a parent can be when you've had a good one just like some people can't trust and see how good other parents can be when you've had a bad one.  

PS: Before anyone asks, I didn't go home for visits occasionally because I was a glutton for punishment I had other family in my home state including Grandparents.  Honestly if it were just my Mother and Father I probably would have never visited again once I moved away.  But I love my extended family so compromises had to be made.

• Love 8

I didn't think Sean pushed it too far with Zach.  He tried his best, but then respected Zach's decision and even stated that relationships were a 2 way street, and that Bill never showed any interest in how Zach was doing.

All things considered, I think our Seanie-Poo has matured beyond his years - to the point where I sometimes forget how young he really is (and how young he was while watching his Dad die slowly and horribly).

• Love 5

Did Bill even want Zack with him? He never made any mention  of him. All that happened was the doctor  asked if Bill had anyone to help him. Close up on dad Bill face and cut to Zack on the boat. I'm sure Nick or someone was with Wild Bill but disco doesn't want to show us that. They want us to get the feels over this fucked up father son relationship.  

Lol at Jake saying the Bering Sea was taking a dump on his face. 

And lol at Josh being all "oh no I might not make my quota" as if the produces aren't going to make sure he doesn't come off as a failure. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Chiming in to agree with those who think Sean's well-meaning advice is probably not appropriate for the Zack/Bill issue.  In spite of many attempts on my part to heal the relationship with my abusive mother, all that would happen is that she would respond enough to get me to let my guard down, and then she would swoop in and attack me emotionally again.  I'm afraid that's what Bill would do to Zack, because it feels like it's in his (Bill's) DNA to take his anger out on Zack . . . Bill has referred several times to some of his crew members (looking at you, Nick) as "like a son."  At which point, I usually yell, "No!!!!  You don't want to be like a son to Bill!!!  He screams at and threatens to hit his son!!!"

I'm actually kind of proud of Zack since the last scene of the episode was NOT Zack getting on a plane.  It says a lot that Bill NEVER called the Brenna A to see how HIS SON was doing.  I do kind of wonder who picked Bill up from the hospital, or whether he went into rehab for a few days.  The doctor said they were doing the hip replacement as outpatient surgery, and that Bill would need help when he got released.  Nothing on his SM about Zack being there.

I'm not a psychologist or a crab fisherman but I think Bill's anger with Zach is born of defensiveness.  Bill knows in his heart that he wasn't a good father to the boy, and rather than cop to it, or atone for it, or try to make amends, he attacks Zach as though Zach is doing something to him when in fact it's his own conscience that's torturing him.  

Edited by millennium
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, millennium said:

I'm not a psychologist or a crab fisherman but I think Bill's anger with Zach is born of defensiveness.  Bill knows in his heart that he wasn't a good father to the boy, and rather than cop to it, or atone for it, or try to make amends, he attacks Zach as though Zach is doing something to him when in fact it's his own conscience that's torturing him.  

I also think some of that unreasonable anger at Zach is mixed up with Bill's animosity towards Zach's Mum.  More than once I've heard Bill denigrate Zach's upbringing, and say with obvious disgust "You are your Mother's son".

There's just no excuse for Bill's treatment of his son.  Sad.  :-(

• Love 5

I am pretty much inured against the perils of the Disco cast.  However, losing power in the face of those seas got me going.  Yikes!

Certain members of the cast were quite vociferous a few seasons ago as to how horrible "climate change" was going to be for the fishery.  Well, each year we've had net increases in the harvest.  Did anyone see the first hint of icing on any F/V the past two, three seasons?   Anyone have trouble getting into or out of a harbor?  I didn't hear the first whine about not being able to get to a cannery with the contracted amount of crab at any given time.  Did y'all?  If I am a Bering Sea crabber, give me "climate change" any ol' time!

That was an interesting conversation between Bill and the surgeon.  I hope Bill has sense enough to heed that advice.

I gotsta say, as jaded and as critical as I have been about DC and Disco generally, when the first chords of "Dead or Alive" came up, I felt something deep inside.  It was important.  All of this was...important.  I recalled those initial eps when this was new to me.  Holy Cow!  How incredible it all was.  Respect.  Concern.  Fascination.  Awe.  Pride.  So many fantastic thoughts/beliefs about the whole deal.  As the music continued, I was in a happy and satisfied place.  

In the end, these folks, and those who came before them, have guts and skill.  The real deal right stuff.  I salute them and wish them well.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Certain members of the cast were quite vociferous a few seasons ago as to how horrible "climate change" was going to be for the fishery.  Well, each year we've had net increases in the harvest.

I don't think so.  From what I've read, Red king crab harvests are declining.  The 2017 catch limit was set at 22% below the previous year due to lower stock abundance.  Scientists and many crabbers realize that climate change and related ocean acidification are adversely affecting marine life - including crabs.  Less ice is not necessarily a positive thing; at least not for many fish and crab stocks.

• Love 2

One more thing about Bill.  I realize that his problem was with his hip, but I was surprised that they didn't make him put on medical (zipperless) shorts when they took the x-rays.  Nothing like letting the whole world see that your fly isn't all the way to the top.  

• Love 2
On 8/30/2018 at 1:03 AM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I am pretty much inured against the perils of the Disco cast.  However, losing power in the face of those seas got me going.  Yikes!

Certain members of the cast were quite vociferous a few seasons ago as to how horrible "climate change" was going to be for the fishery.  Well, each year we've had net increases in the harvest.  Did anyone see the first hint of icing on any F/V the past two, three seasons?   Anyone have trouble getting into or out of a harbor?  I didn't hear the first whine about not being able to get to a cannery with the contracted amount of crab at any given time.  Did y'all?  If I am a Bering Sea crabber, give me "climate change" any ol' time!

That was an interesting conversation between Bill and the surgeon.  I hope Bill has sense enough to heed that advice.

I gotsta say, as jaded and as critical as I have been about DC and Disco generally, when the first chords of "Dead or Alive" came up, I felt something deep inside.  It was important.  All of this was...important.  I recalled those initial eps when this was new to me.  Holy Cow!  How incredible it all was.  Respect.  Concern.  Fascination.  Awe.  Pride.  So many fantastic thoughts/beliefs about the whole deal.  As the music continued, I was in a happy and satisfied place.  

In the end, these folks, and those who came before them, have guts and skill.  The real deal right stuff.  I salute them and wish them well.

Part of the big changes in weather we see are related to the El Nino-La Nina cycle.  El Nino parks a big blob of warm water in the north Pacific just south of Alaska.  In La Nina, the polar jet stream is running right up and across the Bering Sea and a blob of cold water is parked in that same general area of the north Pacific.    These decadal (although the shifts don't have to strictly be on a decade based cycle) patterns can often be more obvious to the observer than are the longer term climate related patterns.  That's why climate scientists and meteorologists are often reluctant to out and out say that a specific storm is related to climate change.  A pattern where there are more storms or a change in intensity over ten years, sure, but any individual storm it's harder to say.

• Love 1

I feel for both Bill and Zach in this situation.  Bill really fucked up as a father and I think he knows it and doesn't know how to fix it.  He tries, but then when he meets resistance, he gets frustrated and defensive and retreats to a "fuck you" attitude.  Zach has rightful resentment, and he wants/expects Bill to show that he's willing to do what it takes to fix the mistakes of the past, but, he isn't quite ready to forgive and forget.  So they stay stuck in this cycle.  Honestly, they can't be father and son, and they both need to recognize that.  What they need to do is just build a relationship as friends or peers, and let the past be the past.  I know this from experience, within my own life, but, in order to do this, you both have to be willing to say screw it, I'm just going to take this person as they are, and not have the expectation of them being a "father" or a "son"

Sean, having lost his father, is coming from a good place, because when you've lost a parent, especially one you were close to, you would do anything to have another hour with them, regardless of whatever fight you had with them.  But, it's a perspective you don't get until you are in those shoes, and, for some people, it doesn't change the choices you would make in the moment.  I try to always make sure I'm doing something I can live with, that I won't regret in the future, so, in Zach's shoes, I probably would have gone.  Worst case is it would have gone poorly, but at least I'd never have to wonder what if I had gone.  But, that's me, and I can see how Zach would feel differently.  I do hope he and Bill can figure things out, though.

• Love 4