Type keyword(s) to search

What was the last movie you watched?

• Start Topic

Does watching half of Rubin and Ed count?  I don't remember why I got it from the library, probably because it has Howard Hesseman in it and something about burying a dead cat.  And they were going to the desert in Utah, a place that I love.

Some of the positive reviews mention that Crispin Glover is an acquired taste.  I didn't appreciate him.

What first got to me was the hideously bad toupees on both men.  Then the monologue that wandered, then the story that had me beggin' Crispin to bury the cat once he had a hole dug, but noooooooo it wasn't the right hole. 

I never got close to liking either character, and found something else to do as my husband kept watching.  I don't know how it ended because he fell asleep sometime in the second half and really couldn't remember where the story was going. 

The Spy Who Dumped Me - saw it on Tuesday night with a group of friends from work.  It wasn't brilliant, but it was very funny and was perfect for our girls' night out.  Which we did on a Tuesday because that's bargain ticket day.

• Love 5

San Andreas. It was on tv and if a disaster movie is on tv and I click by it I’ll usually watch it no matter if I’ve seen it before, even multiple times. (Day After Tomorrow, World War Z, Deep Impact, etc.) Also. The Rock. 

17 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The Best Years of Our LIves.

The greatest American movie.  Man, the USA was an amazingly good country back in the day.

OMG I love that movie. Such an amazing story of how difficult it was for the soldiers and their families and so different from the typical "triumphant return" concept of WWII. I'm going to have to rewatch. It's been a while. I believe the one character, the guy who had lost his hand, was a real soldier who had really lost his hands in an explosion. It made his characters story so much more powerful to me. 

I highly recommend this movie. It is beautiful. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

OMG I love that movie. Such an amazing story of how difficult it was for the soldiers and their families and so different from the typical "triumphant return" concept of WWII. I'm going to have to rewatch. It's been a while. I believe the one character, the guy who had lost his hand, was a real soldier who had really lost his hands in an explosion. It made his characters story so much more powerful to me. 

I highly recommend this movie. It is beautiful. 

Harold Russell was the hero/actor who lost his hands while serving in the Army.  The irony is he portrayed a sailor in the film.

The Academy decided to award him a special Oscar.  Then, remarkably, he won Supporting Actor outright!

Yes.  This was a brave movie to make at the time.  The frustrations and resentments of many, many who served only to come back to no jobs (The Air Force officer's arc) were an enormous problem.  Goldwyn and TPTB hoped TBYOOL might do OK, but were prepared for a major backlash.  Instead, it became a catharsis.  Many were healed and affirmed.  

• Love 3

Poop Talk, a documentary about, well, pooping. It manages to be both hilarious and thoughtful. Despite the name, it’s not all potty humor, which I’m not a fan of watching. There were maybe two stories I had to fast-forward through because they were a bit too detailed. But that was the exception. 

It starred a bunch of stand-up comedians, who are by nature great storytellers. And they told personal tales about how their countries of origin, their personalities, or even their physical abilities affect their lives. Highly recommended. 

2 hours ago, topanga said:

Poop Talk, a documentary about, well, pooping. It manages to be both hilarious and thoughtful. Despite the name, it’s not all potty humor, which I’m not a fan of watching. There were maybe two stories I had to fast-forward through because they were a bit too detailed. But that was the exception. 

Where did you see this? I must see it.

1982's Conan the Barbarian. Arnold Schwarzenegger's breakthrough role. In my personal top 10 movies ever. The greatest score, the most romantic speech, just the complete package.

You know what I miss about movies these days? When a scene calls for a thousand cultists making their way along the road and up the hill, it's only 20, and the rest are looped or animated. Conan had a thousand cultists on screen. I'm sure it's cheaper, or at least easier. You don't have to feed, clothe, house, and generally wrangle a thousand people for a week. But no matter how good the CG, you can feel the difference.

• Love 2