Type keyword(s) to search

Sandra Lee In The Media

I live in New York state, and watching Andrew Cuomo's campaign ads for governor made me realize that there is a non trivial chance that Sandra Lee could become our First Lady.

Anybody seen the new commercial with Aunt Sandy making a chickpea salad? It was on TCC and the sponsor was Vitamix, although she didn't use the product. Great close-ups of her abysmal knife skills hacking up a green pepper and red onion. Sandy looked pretty good, though. Her hair was more of a darker blonde color and it was cut to shoulder-length with side-swept bangs. Nice natural, age-appropriate makeup.

Could this possibly mean she's hitting the come-back trail?

I just read the preceding posts and commented to my husband, "SLop was in the Macy's Day parade and we missed her." "Who was riding her?" was his response. :-)

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 2

My husband was half asleep, I turned the TV in the bedroom on to the parade as he was waking up, I was in the kitchen making (from scratch!) some pies and I heard him yell "Oh GOD! It's that lady! The one you make fun of all the time?! She can't cook? What's her name?! She's on a float!" I almost peed from laughing.

• Love 8

Today is Sandy's White Christmas episode. Prepare for snow blindness, unless you happen to be wearing sunglasses or tinted ski goggles. This is the one where Sandy and Kimber are dressed all in white, in a white kitchen, preparing all white food. They are visibly disappointed when a pork roast and gravy made with Crown Royal doesn't turn out white. They also get drunk on white chocolate eggnog and giggle like idiots as they glue sugar cubes onto miniature houses. This one is a classic!

Edited by vera charles
  • Love 1

I recorded that episode (I know, I know...I'm so ashamed!) but haven't watched it yet.  I'm already bracing myself for the intense white-on-white, along with the SLop 'n' Kimber giggle fest.  I think those two were imbibing prior to going on the air.  Isn't this also the episode where she says "Merry Christmas!" about every 5 minutes or something?

• Love 1

I watched it this morning - how hilarious! Sandy and Kimmie acted like they were half-crocked in the opening segment and the Sandy-speak ("into this dish, I'm going to put...") was dialed up to 11. Their family punchbowl is a giant martini glass? Why am I not surprised.

Oh yes. Who can forget the oil-soaked Melba toast and the med-e-ley of vegetables?

They were definitely lit during the opening. Kimmie had to keep asking Sandy to repeat instructions and she still messed up. That was one booze-soaked drink.

I finally watched it today.  I think I was handling all the white pretty well until the dessert segment.  Could that dessert have been any whiter?  And then the 'scape...yikes.  I love how SLop said everybody drank eggnog and then started working on the 'scape.  I do kind of doubt they could have come up with such a thing while sober.  And she says something about never wanting to take it down.  I think I'd want to take it down once it started attracting insects.

I forgot about that stupid line...  "The great thing about cooking Semi-Homemade is you won't feel like Melba toast when you're done."  What the heck does that mean?

Just how much booze was in that drink?  There were what, 3 or 4 different kinds of alcohol in there?  I like to think that "family punchbowl" is actually Aunt Sandy's favorite cocktail glass.

Edited by ragstoriches
  • Love 1

We did get the Noel Kake the week before last.  I'm not entirely convinced that that particular kake wasn't just a prank to see how many people would fall for it and actually try to make it.

There's one other Christmas episode that I kind of wish they'd show again (besides the Kwanzaa Kake).  It was some hour-long Christmas party episode.  They showed it the year I first discovered SLop and not since.  I didn't watch most of the second half, although I can't remember why.

Edited by ragstoriches

I know she's decided that white is her signature color but I cannot imagine how dull it would be to wear the same (lack of) color every. damn. day. And agreed--the pleats and weird seaming on that dress do her no favors.

Yikes, she put FIVE different kinds of alcohol in that gingerbread cocktail.  Is that a record?  And that doesn't even include the other two cocktails...  Nobody is going to be standing up at the end of this party.

I hope she has straws for that blue cocktail.  I can't figure out any other way to drink that thing without getting a mouthful of coconut.

Well, Shrikes, if you have anything Aunt Sandy related on your DVR, you better protect them, she is no longer on the FN schedule.  I actually feel a little sad about this, it's the end of an era.

Edited by WhitneyWhit

So does anybody know WHAT Aunt Sandy is actually up to these days? It seems so odd that she'd just completely disappear off the face of the planet.

I saw a brief glimpse of her on the news at The Ladder's swearing-in ceremony. She was wearing white, natch.

I imagine she was involved with Ladder Sr,'s funeral. Otherwise, I got nothin'...

They reelected The Ladder?  Uhhh, why?  If he had any taste (or taste buds?) he would have left SLop long ago.  Unless he has someone else cooking for him.  Maybe that's it.

Gee, maybe I won't delete two or three episodes I recorded just yet.  Fortunately for us, she and Semi-Ho are still all over Youtube, at least until Cuomo or his staff orders them all taken off.  Surprised they haven't done that yet.  Even the Kwanzaa Kake is still there.

She was riding a float that led off the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. And the magazine seems to come out every other month, so she's got six issues a year to put together. And she showed up at that award show last year, wearing that horrible half satin / half gauze ball gown. She really is quietly fading away. I agree, it's the end of an era.

She really is quietly fading away. I agree, it's the end of an era.

I would miss her if she disappeared, but let's be careful what we wish for.  Andrew Cuomo is still a dark horse candidate for Pres. in 2016 & some pundits consider him not unlikely for 2020 -- Aunt Sandy might well end up mixing cocktails & crafting tablescapes in the White House someday.   

I think Ms. Lee might just be keeping a low profile because whether Andrew is planning on going for the big job, a lesser position or even just remaining governor, he is likely to be doing a lot of campaigning for his party this year and next. She was in the Cuomo holiday card with his daughters (which I posted a link to upthread).

I think she is trying to distance herself from the past or perhaps the FN contracts just finally expired. I do agree that it is the end of an era.

I have a LOT of episodes saved on DVR (all those early episodes from GAC channel), but it is just the crap DVR that comes from the cable company. I really need to find someone who knows how to hack that because eventually it's going to die and I will lose them.

Happy New Year, fellow shrikes!

I believe once a show is made for FN, they (FN) own the rights to it. I don't think a contract running out had anything to do with it. If FN stopped showing reruns, it's possible that it may have been influenced by Sandra, but it might just have been FN's decision. I know someone contacted Ina Garten once and asked for more reruns of her older shows. Her people responded that once she makes a show, she has no control over when or how often it airs. She could ask, but they are under no obligation to do it.  Paula Deen had to buy her shows from Scripps, not that they were going to show them.

I posted on FB that this may be a sign of the apocalypse. I do hope she brings Vinny Garette and Mars Capone with her, though. Those guys have been out of work for a while.

I just heard this morning! She's back:  http://www.eater.com/2015/5/8/8573865/sandra-lee-semi-homemade-lifestyle-tv-show-abc

I also did not know she has her own line of It's Cocktail Time brand margarita mix. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sandra-lee-americas-most-recognized-host-bottles-the-best-time-of-the-day-in-sandra-lee-cocktail-time-margaritas-300051255.html

Oh, happy day! Aunt Sandy has been laying low for too long. I can't wait for this trainwreck to hit the airwaves.

• Love 2