Type keyword(s) to search

Angela Rummans: What The F(RICK) Is Wrong With Her?

(With thanks to vb68 for expanding on Rachel's shocked reaction.)

Well, I'm going to try to keep most of these fairly neutral, but Angela certainly made it difficult tonight.  Her venom in that completely unnecessary goodbye speech was shocking to behold.  Show some class, ass.

I'd been mentioning in the Fantasy Game thread that I was irrationally pleased that my two favorite players were both from my future state of residence.  (I won't be moving to South Carolina until after the season is over, but even so.)  But wow…am I missing out on hearing of some deadly rivalry between Myrtle Bearch (Rachel's hometown, pre-Vegas) and Hilton Head Island, where Angela is from?  Do I need to bring a bulletproof vest if I visit the coast?  Because that girl has a lot of anger issues, it looks like.  (I guess I can't call her "the Walking Quaalude" after this, but still.)

And her top sucked ass, too.

I wonder if BB would let Rachel write her a HoH letter, really quickly?  Probably not.  I never get nice things.

Edited by Halting Hex
(edited)

Wow.  Watching Tuesday's BBAD and she's such a sadistic c***.  She's practically bathing in schadenfreude planning Brett's bullshit "Rachel told me" speech. 

And her "Rachel talked herself onto the block" revisionist history venom is off the charts.  No, what happened was Bayleigh was too scared to put up JC and Fessy pressured her into changing her plans; Rachel's brief (20 minutes!) of being "okay" with the plan were actually pretty much irrelevant here.  But Rachel made the mistake of sharing her anxieties and guilt with her "best friend" and this rancid whore turns on her like a shark on chum.  To quote Rockpile: DIS-GUSTING!

OT, because I don't want to bump the Brett topic, but watching him in this convo:  Dude, put down the fucking free weights.  Your biceps and pecs are fine.   Now do some cardio and lose that fucking gut, already.  It's not as if we can't see below your nipples, you know.  You look ridiculous.

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 7

My Girl <------- from last season calling out "Lampgela" for her ill-treatment of My Girl (this season's version):  

Warning:  don't go to Jessica's Twitter feed.  There's an apparent spoiler at the top, courtesy of an ex-HG.  (Unless you don't care about that, obviously.)

Is the "Level 10" here the inspiration for the "Level 6" alliance name?  I did not know that.

Also "Angela the Armchair" might want to put a little more pizzazz into her dance moves.  But I've never been a huge fan of gymnastics, precisely because of those "artistic" requirements.  JMO.

• Love 1

I spent way too long thinking about Angela's body during the last episode.  Intellectually, I understand her body is perfect.  I seriously cannot find a single flaw.  But emotionally? There's just something...I don't know.  Something not perfect?  I don't really understand.  It's not because of my feelings about her personality, but I can't figure out what it is that just doesn't do it for me.  (I'm not shaming her in anyway for her looks, it's just driving me crazy I can't quite put my finger on what it is.)

Edit: 

But wow…am I missing out on hearing of some deadly rivalry between Myrtle Bearch (Rachel's hometown, pre-Vegas) and Hilton Head Island, where Angela is from? 

I'm an NC native (it's always better on top!), and I despise Myrtle Beach.  It was great when I went for spring break in high school, but past that?  No reason to go.  All of the other beaches in both Carolinas are gorgeous and you should absolutely visit, just not Mytle.  It's overgrown, overcrowded, trafficky, and touristy.

Edited by lasu
7 minutes ago, lasu said:

I spent way too long thinking about Angela's body during the last episode.  Intellectually, I understand her body is perfect.  I seriously cannot find a single flaw.  But emotionally? There's just something...I don't know.  Something not perfect?  I don't really understand.  It's not because of my feelings about her personality, but I can't figure out what it is that just doesn't do it for me.  (I'm not shaming her in anyway for her looks, it's just driving me crazy I can't quite put my finger on what it is.)

Right from the get-go, “technically perfect” is already a qualified term.

Now you just have to figure out for yourself what DISqualifies it.  :)

To me, her near-constant lack of emotion renders her almost mannequin-ish.

That’s one of the reasons I like Tangela.  The only time you see a whiff of warm, genuine emotion from Angela is when her and Tyler are alone - not much, mind you, but a whiff....

• Love 2

Angela is not hard to figure out. She is a "mean girl." She is nasty, sarcastic, and a bully. In school, she probably teased many other girls and made fun of them. 

I can't stand her. It's too bad nobody has the guts to stand up to her in the house. I just hope she does not win and when the show is over she gets a dose of her own medicine on social media. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

To me, her near-constant lack of emotion renders her almost mannequin-ish.

That’s one of the reasons I like Tangela.  The only time you see a whiff of warm, genuine emotion from Angela is when her and Tyler are alone - not much, mind you, but a whiff....

To me, she's more EXTREMELY(!!) guarded vs emotionless, but those can easily read the same. I don't know how much of that is something she was born with, and how much was built by her childhood. We do agree that she's better when she's half of Tangela - because she's been making tiny cracks in the walls for him. :)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DakotaLavender said:

Angela is not hard to figure out. She is a "mean girl." She is nasty, sarcastic, and a bully. In school, she probably teased many other girls and made fun of them. 

Or... 

Spoiler

Angela spent her entire childhood growing up in a physical performance prison where any displays of kindness or emotion were considered a weakness to be trained out of her - an environment where Angela built a fortress of coldness and sarcasm as an act of self-defense, to protect herself.  And I actually kind of doubt Angela was a “mean girl” - not for lack of capacity, necessarily, but for lack of opportunity.  When Angela wasn’t in classes she was either at her training gym (both before and after school) or at home, catching up on her homework.  Doesn’t sound like Angela was even around other girls enough to “mean-girl” them, other than her gymnastics compatriots - and I fully expect every one of THEM was every bit as bad as Angela, if not worse.

ETA: I don’t think there’s any spoiler info in there - but I’ve gotten dinged on that before, so I’m not taking any chances.

I can't stand her. It's too bad nobody has the guts to stand up to her in the house. I just hope she does not win and when the show is over she gets a dose of her own medicine on social media. 

I sincerely doubt Angela gives a subsonic shit what SM thinks of her, one way or the other - it’s the way she’s built.

1 hour ago, IndyMischa said:

To me, she's more EXTREMELY(!!) guarded vs emotionless, but those can easily read the same. I don't know how much of that is something she was born with, and how much was built by her childhood. We do agree that she's better when she's half of Tangela - because she's been making tiny cracks in the walls for him. :)

Instead of “lack of emotion” I probably should’ve said “lack of emotional display” - but I think we’re thinking along the same lines.

Edited by Nashville
Safety first!
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, Nashville said:

I sincerely doubt Angela gives a subsonic shit what SM thinks of her, one way or the other - it’s the way she’s built.

Instead of “lack of emotion” I probably should’ve said “lack of emotional display” - but I think we’re thinking along the same lines.

I don't care about her lack of emotional display. She is just downright mean spirited. And that quality has nothing to do with her gymnastic training and competitive nature. She seems to have a sadistic streak. 

She may not care what social media thinks about her and that validates my point. She is a transparent b*tch. 

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

I don't care about her lack of emotional display.

And I don’t care if you don’t care - I was replying to @IndyMischa‘s post, not yours.  But feel free to chime in whenever. :>

23 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

She may not care what social media thinks about her and that validates my point. She is a transparent b*tch. 

Not necessarily.  For example: I don’t give a flying fuck at a rolling donut what SM thinks of me, and I’m opaque as hell - and whether I’m a bitch or not is a matter of personal interpretation.  Personally, I prefer to think of myself as a refreshing dose of Fucitol - but hey, maybe that’s just me.  ;>

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Nashville said:

whether I’m a bitch or not is a matter of personal interpretation.  Personally, I prefer to think of myself as a refreshing dose of Fucitol - but hey, maybe that’s just me.  ;>

#twinsies

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

I don't care about her lack of emotional display. She is just downright mean spirited.

I agree with this.  I don't have a problem with someone being reserved or guarded.  But she was awful to Rachel in her goodbye message, despite being wrong about what Rachel told her.  She was also extremely smug about Bayleigh being the hacker, and again she was wrong.  It's just not a good look.

Or... Angela spent her entire childhood growing up in a physical performance prison where any displays of kindness or emotion were considered a weakness to be trained out of her - an environment where Angela built a fortress of coldness and sarcasm as an act of self-defense, to protect herself.  And I actually kind of doubt Angela was a “mean girl” - not for lack of capacity, necessarily, but for lack of opportunity.  When Angela wasn’t in classes she was either at her training gym (both before and after school) or at home, catching up on her homework.  Doesn’t sound like Angela was even around other girls enough to “mean-girl” them, other than her gymnastics compatriots - and I fully expect every one of THEM was every bit as bad as Angela, if not worse.

Did she?   I know we have video of her doing gymnastics, but her bio says she trained at an Olympic Camp for track and field.  It also says she tried out for her high school football team, so it sounds like she went to a regular high school.  So, she would have definitely had opportunity to be a mean girl, though I can't say if she was.  But this quote from her is kind of damning: "I think naturally girls are threatened by me. I have a really big presence."  I've never been a fan of women who think it's ALL OTHER WOMEN who have a problem and not themselves.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, lasu said:

But she was awful to Rachel in her goodbye message, despite being wrong about what Rachel told her. 

I'm pro-Angela in general, but will definitely agree with you on this one. She was awful to Rachel pretty much that whole week, and just capped it off with the bitchy GBM. Difference being, I found that totally puzzling and out of character for her, ha!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, IndyMischa said:

I'm pro-Angela in general, but will definitely agree with you on this one. She was awful to Rachel pretty much that whole week, and just capped it off with the bitchy GBM. Difference being, I found that totally puzzling and out of character for her, ha!

No argument there.  Angela’s GBM to Rachel was definitely OTT.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

And I don’t care if you don’t care - I was replying to @IndyMischa‘s post, not yours.  But feel free to chime in whenever. :>

Not necessarily.  For example: I don’t give a flying fuck at a rolling donut what SM thinks of me, and I’m opaque as hell - and whether I’m a bitch or not is a matter of personal interpretation.  Personally, I prefer to think of myself as a refreshing dose of Fucitol - but hey, maybe that’s just me.  ;>

I would chime in but I am busy watching Dynasty reruns and do you think Alexis was a bitch? 

I care very much what SM thinks of me because my friend was fired from her job after she got all transparent on SM and posted pics of herself defecating in a public NYC park during a jog. I am as refreshing as a dose of recalled Valsartan. I am not a bitch, I am a real Adrian except I never found my Rocky. And I never took off my glasses. 

18 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

I care very much what SM thinks of me because my friend was fired from her job after she got all transparent on SM and posted pics of herself defecating in a public NYC park during a jog. 

(recovering from momentary speechlessness...) 

There's transparent, and then there's defecating in public. And taking photos of said activity. And posting the photos online. That is overachieving, like whoa. 

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, IndyMischa said:

(recovering from momentary speechlessness...) 

There's transparent, and then there's defecating in public. And taking photos of said activity. And posting the photos online. That is overachieving, like whoa. 

Uh, yeah.  There’s a fine line between transparency and oversharing - but in this case, said friend’s line was about as “fine” as the I-5 loop in downtown LA.

3 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

It's common: pooper 1  pooper 2

Appreciate the share, but in the interests of total transparency I have to tell you - there’s no way in hell I’m clicking on either of those links.  :)

• Love 8

I guess my unpopular opinion this season is that Angela has grown on me. I feel bad for her upbringing, am guarded in the same way around other people, and I like her competitiveness and drive. I think she actually took the zing kind of hard. 

She doesn't have a chance in hell of winning, but I enjoy her friendship with Kaycee and her whatever it is with Tyler.

• Love 6

Again, what is her upbringing?  People are saying she was raised in a gymnastics camp, but nothing in her bio indicates this.  Is this something she has talked about on the live feeds?

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Nashville said:

Appreciate the share, but in the interests of total transparency I have to tell you - there’s no way in hell I’m clicking on either of those links.  :)

They were just stories that appeared in the newspapers. There were no visuals.

Angela is truly a sarcastic mean girl who has built walls around herself and look what she did to Rachel. Plus, if she is into gymnastics she certainly will care about what SM says about her because her career can be partly based on what her fan base says. She has to get along with other women. Teams are built with other people and their ability to live in harmony. She is competitive but in a real Tonya Harding way. 

I hope Angela does not win but I will not be surprised if she does. It will be one more year that I am unhappy with the outcome, but I will not invoke the spirit of Dr. Kevorkian over it. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, lasu said:

Again, what is her upbringing?  People are saying she was raised in a gymnastics camp, but nothing in her bio indicates this.  Is this something she has talked about on the live feeds?

Yes, she talked about it on the live feeds. I believe someone posted the story of Angela's life upthread. It's spoiler tagged.

4 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

Plus, if she is into gymnastics she certainly will care about what SM says about her because her career can be partly based on what her fan base says.

She doesn't do gymnastics anymore. She models and has an etsy store.

• Love 1

Yes, she talked about it on the live feeds. I believe someone posted the story of Angela's life upthread. It's spoiler tagged.

I saw that someone said she spent her entire childhood in a gymnastics camp, but she definitely went to a regular high school, according to her CBS bio.  She doesn't mention gymnastics at all in her bio (though I know someone posted a video of her, so I'm certainly not disputing she was to some extent a gymnast).  She does mention she was a professional pole vaulter and that she trained at an Olympic camp for track and field.  I don't watch the live feeds (don't mind reading about them though!) so I'm just trying to get an idea of how extensive her gymnastics training actually was, and how long she actually spent living at a gymnastics camp.  

• Love 1
On 8/3/2018 at 1:53 AM, Halting Hex said:

(With thanks to vb68 for expanding on Rachel's shocked reaction.)

Well, I'm going to try to keep most of these fairly neutral, but Angela certainly made it difficult tonight.  Her venom in that completely unnecessary goodbye speech was shocking to behold.  Show some class, ass.

I'd been mentioning in the Fantasy Game thread that I was irrationally pleased that my two favorite players were both from my future state of residence.  (I won't be moving to South Carolina until after the season is over, but even so.)  But wow…am I missing out on hearing of some deadly rivalry between Myrtle Bearch (Rachel's hometown, pre-Vegas) and Hilton Head Island, where Angela is from?  Do I need to bring a bulletproof vest if I visit the coast?  Because that girl has a lot of anger issues, it looks like.  (I guess I can't call her "the Walking Quaalude" after this, but still.)

And her top sucked ass, too.

I wonder if BB would let Rachel write her a HoH letter, really quickly?  Probably not.  I never get nice things.

I’ve lived on Hilton Head for 12 years. Never heard of a Mrtyle Beach/HHI rivalry. Maybe it’s like the dreaded No Cal/So Cal rivalry that no Southern California’s are aware of.  (Lived my entire life in OC until moving east 12 years ago). 

However, I have heard people refer to Mrtyle Beach as Mrtyle Vegas.  Must be all the neon. 

Spoilered - no game strategy info, just Angela background info:

Spoiler

Some of this is out in the real world if you know where to look, but most of what I type here comes from my own (potentially flawed) recollection of a couple of BY hammock conversations between Angela and Tyler - consider that your caveat.  Someone else here may have links to the actual conversations they can supply; right now I don’t have time to search them up.

——————-

Angela’s parents entered her into gymnastics training at a very young age, around 4 or so.  Angela had been doing jumps and flips off the living room furniture since she was about 3 or so.  Angela’s mother couldn’t get her to stop, so Mom figured Angela might as well learn how to do it properly before she broke her neck.  In any case, Angela quickly demonstrated a serious aptitude for gymnastics; she entered her first gymnastics competition at age 5.

For the next 12-13 years of her life (from pre-kindergarten to the end of her HS junior year, or thereabouts) Angela’s life centered around the two worlds of competitive gymnastics and school - probably in that order of emphasis.  Angela’s parents saw gymnastics as Angela’s ticket for a scholarship at a top-flight school, and went to lengths to maximize that opportunity.  Angela’s daily schedule went something like the following:

1. 5:00~5:30am: Out of bed, light breakfast (time allowing), driven by Mom to the gym for a couple of hours of pre-school practice/training.
  2. 8:00am: Driven by Mom to school.
  3. 3:30pm: Out of school, driven by Mom to gym for post-school practice/training.
  4. ~10:00pm: Driven home, dinner.
  5. 10:30pm-on: Homework.
  6. 2:00~2:30am: Bedtime.  Angela said a street sweeper went through her neighborhood every night about 2:30am - and eventually it got to where if she was still doing homework when the street sweeper came through, she’d start crying because she knew that meant she was going to get less than 3 hours of sleep before she had to get up the next morning and do it all over again.

That was her daily weekday schedule, every day, from pre-K to late high school.  Weekends were for either competitions or expanded practice/training, but I don’t recall Angela mentioning a specific weekend schedule other than to say it involved more training hours than during the week.

The gym training was brutal from the start, and never let up.  Angela said the very first exercise they started out on (at age 4 or 5) was the coach had the girls holding on to parallel bars by their hands until they couldn’t hold on any longer and dropped - and if you weren’t the very last in the class to drop, you were punished with extra exercise and workouts.  The girls would hang on to the bars so long, the flesh of their palms would mold to the wood and rip when they dropped.  Angela’s hands were so calloused by age 6 she could slap a brick and not feel it.  These were also the only girls with whom Angela spent any time with outside of a classroom - and while they could all commiserate over their shared experience, true friendships weren’t an option; in their pursuit of excellence the coaches constantly drove each of the girls to regard their training mates as competition, not friends.  Any displays of friendship - or physical weakness - or emotion - were punished and drilled out of the girls as being contrary to “the heart of a champion”.  So Angela’s icy, expressionless, emotionless reserve isn’t necessarily her natural personality; it’s how she was trained to be, from age 4-5 on.

This daily routine took a toll on the family as well.  Angela’s family consisted of both parents, an (older?) brother, and Angela - but the constant hours on the road and at the gym meant Angela hardly never saw her father or brother, and likewise they hardly ever saw Angela and her mother.  Angela said in retrospect she can now see what kind of sacrifices her parents (especially her mother) were making for her benefit, but at the time all Angela could feel was resentment towards her mother for constantly keeping her separated.  Her brother felt resentment for the near-constant separation as well, and blamed Angela for it - it was being done for her benefit, and he felt this meant she was the “favorite“.  The parents attempted to assuage some of Brother’s resentment with bigger presents and such, which engendered resentment toward him from Angela - she felt HE was the favorite, getting extra presents and attention while she was pushed to adhere to her grueling schedule.  Most of these relationship issues persisted and weren’t addressed until well into/after college.

Compounding all this was a simple fact: Angela was good at gymnastics, but she didn’t really like gymnastics.  Parental pressure forced her to keep at it though, and for most of her gymnastics career she competed as a Level 10 gymnast - the highest level attainable as an amateur.  This was doubly impressive because of Angela’s height; women’s gymnastics is a small person’s game - most girls drop out at around age 13-14, when they get much over 5 feet in height.  Angela, however, continued competing and winning as a Level 10 up to late age 17, at which point she was already about 5’ 10”.

Towards the end of her junior year in HS, Angela was already being heavily recruited by colleges and going on the tours.  Problem, though: by this time Angela had grown to hate gymnastics, and the recruiting colleges offered her little more than a continuation - and increase, even - of the same grind she had come to despise over the past dozen-plus years.  Angela was already desperately unhappy (since about age 13 she’d already been acting out and gotten in some trouble for underage drinking and other such), she considered most of the schools recruiting her second-tier at best, and she found the thought of continuing this life past high school and into college abhorrent.

So - Angela quit.  

Right at the end of her junior year Angela told her parents she wanted to be happy for a change, and she wasn’t doing it any more.  Angela’s parents were (understandably) somewhat destroyed at the notion all their years of sacrifice and separation were getting flushed down the toilet, but Angela said she couldn’t take it any more.  

Angela described that summer between her junior/senior HS years as the first “free” summer of her life; she could actually sleep in on weekends like normal people, she had the first opportunity in her life to grapple with the concept of “free time” (not having every minute of every day scheduled for something really freaked her out at first), and she made the first real friendships she’d ever had.  There were kids she’d been sitting in the same school classes with since grade school, but she’d never had the opportunity to get know them on a personal level - nor they her.  Angela spent most of her first “summer off” socializing with these folks, and building friendships with them.

Late that summer about a week or two before classes started back, Angela’s friends heard football tryouts were in session.  They all went down to the school to check it out, one thing led to another, and they all (including Angela) ended up going through the tryout process.  All of the school coaches (not just the football coaches) were present at the tryouts - and afterward, one coach (the track and field coach) came over to Angela and asked if she’d ever considered going out for track and field.  Angela wasn’t even really sure what “track and field” entailed - but when he started discussing the different involved activities, “pole vault” caught her attention for some reason.  Angela went home and did some Googling, and discovered a curious fact - many (most?) of the record-holding pole vaulters were originally gymnasts who’d grown too tall to continue in gymnastics.  Which is how Angela got into pole-vaulting her senior year in high school.

Angela initially encountered resistance, both from her parents (who were still shell-shocked from her gymnastics defection) and other pole vault competitors; they’d ask Angela her competition rating, then walk away laughing when she said she didn’t have one yet.  All that changed, though, with Angela’s first pole vault competition - when her first time out, she broke her school’s female AND male pole vaulting records.  Suddenly eyes are back on Angela again, only this time the eyes are attached to track-and-field coaches at SEC-level schools - DEFINITELY not “second-tier”.  Angela’s performance also caught the attention of an Australian pole vault coach of some renown (never caught his name) who extended an offer to coach her at his own facility for the summer, which she accepted.  Angela apparently continued to impress over the course of the summer, because at the end of it the coach wanted Angela to postpone her first year of college to go compete on the European circuit; Mom put her foot down, though, and Angela entered South Carolina University on a pole vault athletic scholarship.  There were other schools making better offers - but SCU was near where Angela’s grandmother lived, grandma’s health wasn’t good, and Angela thought she might be able to help out with grandma’s care if her school was nearby.  That didn’t end up working out as planned - turns out pole vault training was every bit as time-consuming as gymnastics - but it was worth a shot.

————————

...annnd at this point some other HG would ALWAYS interrupt Angela, so we never got past college.  Hardly a normal upbringing, though.

That’s about everything I recall, and boy howdy I had no intention of typing all THAT when I started.  Anybody know a good publisher?  ;)

Corrections welcome from anybody else who caught Angela’s story - and god save me from typos.

• Love 5

I want to chime in to say that I don't think there is very much wrong with Angela. She has a beautiful body and IMO, she is the most attractive lady in the house this season and one of the most attractive ever.  Many people call her a "bitch". Even she does. But I think of it as she is playing this game really hard. Harder than most men have ever played it.

All in all, I think she is truly wonderful and it would make me happy if she won.

She has been hard (especially in GBMs) to many of the evicted HGs. But so what? One good strategy when playing this game is to play it hard and Angela plays it as hard as it gets.  I love watching her play this game and I love watching her when she isn't playing this game.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

She has been hard (especially in GBMs) to many of the evicted HGs. But so what?

Well, that's why people think she's mean.  Her GBM to Rachel was just out of line, IMO.  When you are gratuitously rude, people are going to label you as mean.  It makes you less likable as someone to root for, which is what we are seeing from people here on the board.  If she was JUST reserved, I wouldn't have any problem with that.  But she was a dick in her message, and wrong to boot.  You can play hard without being an asshole.  She just chooses not to.

Nashville, thank you so much for typing all that out!  That's exactly what I was looking for, so thank you!  I was thinking when it was said she was raised in a gymnastics camp, that it was like some gymnasts whose parents completely turn them over to the camps and just leave them there.  Not that her schedule and training weren't apparently pretty brutal.  Though she definitely wouldn't have been keeping that schedule the whole time - no way was she doing homework until the wee hours in 1st grade, but I can imagine as she got older, her school workload continuously increased.

And I have so many questions!  Not that anyone can actually answer them!  But if the point of all of this was just for Angela to get a scholarship to a great college...how much did they likely spend over 13 years of top tier gymnastics training??  Probably enough for quite a bit of college, I'm guessing.  And why would her parents think it was ok to have her essentially barter her childhood to pay for college?  To me, it hardly seems different than if you literally put your child to work for wages to pay for college, ESPECIALLY if the child didn't like or want to do it.  Seems crazy to me.  It seems to me like parents living out dreams through their kids, and not letting them have regular childhoods because of it.  But also, how did Angela never make friends with her regular classmates?  I understand not becoming super besties, but I had lots of friends in school who I never saw outside of school.  I wonder if it was because she was so focused on other things, she was just too tired, or what?  I also wonder why she didn't mention gymnastics at all in her bio when it was such an incredibly huge part of her childhood and molding as a person.  She mentioned trying out for the football team, but not gymnastics. (I'm not trying to say she's WRONG for mentioning one and not the other - I'm just intrigued as to why.)  Her bio also intrigues me because she either picked a persona to go with, or doesn't seem very self-aware in her bio.  She seems more self-aware as I've seen her on tv, so I wonder what gives.

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, lasu said:

Well, that's why people think she's mean.  Her GBM to Rachel was just out of line, IMO.  When you are gratuitously rude, people are going to label you as mean.  It makes you less likable as someone to root for, which is what we are seeing from people here on the board.  If she was JUST reserved, I wouldn't have any problem with that.  But she was a dick in her message, and wrong to boot.  You can play hard without being an asshole.  She just chooses not to.

Nashville, thank you so much for typing all that out!  That's exactly what I was looking for, so thank you!  I was thinking when it was said she was raised in a gymnastics camp, that it was like some gymnasts whose parents completely turn them over to the camps and just leave them there.  Not that her schedule and training weren't apparently pretty brutal.  Though she definitely wouldn't have been keeping that schedule the whole time - no way was she doing homework until the wee hours in 1st grade, but I can imagine as she got older, her school workload continuously increased.

And I have so many questions!  Not that anyone can actually answer them!  But if the point of all of this was just for Angela to get a scholarship to a great college...how much did they likely spend over 13 years of top tier gymnastics training??  Probably enough for quite a bit of college, I'm guessing.  And why would her parents think it was ok to have her essentially barter her childhood to pay for college?  To me, it hardly seems different than if you literally put your child to work for wages to pay for college, ESPECIALLY if the child didn't like or want to do it.  Seems crazy to me.  It seems to me like parents living out dreams through their kids, and not letting them have regular childhoods because of it.  But also, how did Angela never make friends with her regular classmates?  I understand not becoming super besties, but I had lots of friends in school who I never saw outside of school.  I wonder if it was because she was so focused on other things, she was just too tired, or what?  I also wonder why she didn't mention gymnastics at all in her bio when it was such an incredibly huge part of her childhood and molding as a person.  She mentioned trying out for the football team, but not gymnastics. (I'm not trying to say she's WRONG for mentioning one and not the other - I'm just intrigued as to why.)  Her bio also intrigues me because she either picked a persona to go with, or doesn't seem very self-aware in her bio.  She seems more self-aware as I've seen her on tv, so I wonder what gives.

There are a lot of parents that put their kids in gymnastics with dreams of the Olympics or a full ride in a D1 program.  The amount of money they spend each month on the sport could have paid for college!  A lot of gym parents don't want their kids socializing with kids outside the gym so they don't know what they are missing out on in the real world.  Plus it's hard to have school friends if you go to the gym after school and are training/competing on weekends.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lasu said:

I must admit you are right. She is mean. No doubt about that.

But I have found that most ladies who are mean or who act mean to others are selective. By that I mean they are mean to some people. But they are loving and kind towards others. They are usually loving and kind to their spouses and families.

I just find that kind of personality more interesting than someone who is mean all the time to everyone and also to someone who is a "Pollyanna". That's an old expression meaning someone who skips through life humming to themselves, "La la la la". They never say anything bad about anyone and always look on the sunny side. Many people like that kind of personality. I just find them incredibly boring and false. There are two sides to everything and everyone and it just don't make sense to me for anyone to just ignore one of the sides.

But, you are right. She is mean. LOL!

2 hours ago, lasu said:

... I also wonder why she didn't mention gymnastics at all in her bio when it was such an incredibly huge part of her childhood and molding as a person.  She mentioned trying out for the football team, but not gymnastics. (I'm not trying to say she's WRONG for mentioning one and not the other - I'm just intrigued as to why.)  Her bio also intrigues me because she either picked a persona to go with, or doesn't seem very self-aware in her bio.  She seems more self-aware as I've seen her on tv, so I wonder what gives.

If you mean the bio for BB those are ghost written by BB and "shaped" to fit whatever narrative they want to project.  Angela was a pole vaulter for sure just as Sam is a qualified wielder so they didn't lie even though Angela spent way more years in the gym and Sam as a hair dresser.  Tyler was a life guard for sure for 5 summers bu this bio wasn't heavy on the bowling.  It is what BB does.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Both males and females have that same issue.

For example, some people have a great time in high school and others have a horrible time.   Many people who have a great time in high school don't understand that some of those people that are acting nice to them aren't acting so nice to others. 

Happens in the working world as well.  Petty shit where someone will get some sort of gift and they will show it to one person, but refuse to show it to someone else.  I am not talking about spring chickens/roosters involved in it either.  I am talking about people who are grandmother/grandfather type ages.   People who should know better. I just hope that the douche bag gene doesn't get passed on from generation to the next generation.  Unfortunately, the apple doesn't usually fall far from the tree.

Angela does act like a jackass.  I don't know if she has massive insecurities or if she is just trying to make herself memorable as a bitch on a reality show.

You are certainly right about that issue applying to both males and females.

I am embarassed to have caught myself behaving in a sexist way. I was openly discussing this issue as if it applied to females and not to males. That was clearly sexist and I have no idea where that came from. I try to maintain an even mindset when it comes to male v female issues and I was really surprised to catch myself acting in a clearly sexist manner. I don't understand how that happened. But I want to thank you for pointing that out in a way that avoided you calling me a jerk. Because I was behaving like a jerk and I apologize to anyone I offended. Shame on me!

• Love 3

If I was Tyler, I would consider myself very fortunate and I'd make a concerted effort to make Angela my wife or whatever kind of long term spouse she is OK with.

It seems to me she would make a great lifelong partner for anyone looking for a spousal connection.

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

t makes me wonder if Angela's parents were more into gymnastics than she was.  It wouldn't be the first time that parents have forced their children to participate in a sport that they either grew tired of or never want to be involved in, in the first place.

I would say the answer is 'YES', based upon what I've read.

Someone upthread posted her possible schedule with school and gymnastics. I did a little research and I believe she did gymnastics in Savannah which is about 75 -90 minutes from where she lived on HHI. In fact when we moved here from Southern California my son was promising in gymnastics but there was no way I was going to haul our cookies all the way to Savannah everyday.  So yeah- I can understand what a huge toll gymnastics took on her family. 

• Love 1

I wonder why Angela has shown so little prowess in the athletic challenges this summer.  I have been watching American Ninja Warrior and many of the most superior female Ninja athletes have a background in gymnastics and pole vaulting.  Several of the greatest women combine both disciplines.  So I might expect an athlete who was a level 10 gymnast and an Olympic tryout pole vaulter to be a beast at challenges.  Maybe she is just holding back?

• Love 1
On 9/13/2018 at 9:10 AM, Skycatcher said:

Her head looks like it was just glued to the top of any body available. It's a total disconnect.

It doesn’t help for the neck to be so elongated it looks like it’s missing a few brass rings.  :P