Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E12: Cher, Christine Baranski, Rupert Everett, Natalie Dormer, Tom Odell 2018.06.22

• Start Topic

Guests are Cher and Christine Baranski who star in Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, Rupert Everett talks about The Happy Prince and Natalie Dormer discusses Picnic at Hanging Rock. With music from Tom Odell, performing his new single If You Wanna Love Somebody

no posts?! 

all i have is shallowness. rupert used to be so good looking. it sucks getting old. don' i know it!  i'm sick of the all the talk these days about cocks and balls and vaginas etc. good grief, do we have to talk so much about this?  pretty soon we'll be comparing bowel movements. what happened to having a modicum of class? anyway, speaking of old, the plastic doll, i mean cher, well i don't have to say anything . it's there to be seen. she's what 73? what the hell is wrong with these women who have a totally fake face that they think looks like it did 40 years ago. she looks like a synth. 

• Love 5

I agree with you @msrachelj.  I don't know if this is specifically what you're talking about, but I thought Christine Baranski's original line we were shown ("have him washed and brought to my tent" I think it was) was so much funnier (and so much less crass) than what they said made it into the movie. 

And Rupert Everett...ok, I know age happens to all of us, but I didn't even recognize him until he started talking and I heard his unmistakable voice.

• Love 4

Rupert Everett has had his face rebuilt considerably. Different cheeks, different nose, new jaw, etc. Rebuilt faces age differently. God, he had that angsty, tragic thing going on when he was young that reaaaallly appealed to me. Not so much now.

I've read a few wildly enthusiastic reviews about Picnic at Hanging Rock, which makes me think I should watch it. Long weekend  coming up!

I once had a Christine Baranski sighting on the street. She’s normal sized! Every time I see her interviewed,  i wonder how long she had to work to lose her Buffalo accent and replace it with that posh clipped tone.

I am amazed that they didn’t write Cher's character to be Meryl's trophy stepmom instead of her mom. The older you get in Hollywood,  the younger you have to be.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Nessie said:

II don't know if this is specifically what you're talking about, but I thought Christine Baranski's original line we were shown ("have him washed and brought to my tent" I think it was) was so much funnier (and so much less crass) than what they said made it into the movie. 

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the vagina line that Baranski mentioned was when she's sitting in the car (or jeep or whatever) and first sees Andy Garcia, but that was cut out of the clip.

1 hour ago, attica said:

Rupert Everett has had his face rebuilt considerably. Different cheeks, different nose, new jaw, etc.

I didn't know that! Did he have an accident, or was this more for vanity? 

I saw a bit of a Black Mirror episode that he was in. I didn't realize it was him at the time, but when I went to IMDB to look up a different actor in that show, boy was I surprised it was Everett. Of course the hair and costuming made him less recognizable, but still, he looks so different now.

As for the rest of the show, it was ok. I know Cher has had a long of face-work, but to me it looks less horrifying that some other actresses, like Melanie Griffith or Courtney Cox or, for one of the worst, Joan Van Ark. 

• Love 3

I liked that Cher was totally willing to give Red Chair guy an autograph for him to get tattooed on.  And that she gave him advice about how the tattoo should be done too.  Graham's surprise at that, and his quick recovery, were fun too.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the vagina line that Baranski mentioned was when she's sitting in the car (or jeep or whatever) and first sees Andy Garcia, but that was cut out of the clip.

Maybe you're right.  I thought they were two different takes and the one we were shown didn't make the movie.  

• Love 1
(edited)

He denies having anything done, so I'm going with vanity.?

Please, Everettt looked like a normally aging, very familiar version of his younger self in Hysteria back in 2011; then when I saw him in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children a few years later I literally gasped and recoiled backwards from the screen upon finally realizing who it was (which was not immediately when he appeared onscreen, let me assure you). He looked like someone else wearing a Rupert Everett mask stretched over his own, much rougher bone structure. Adults don't have their appearance change that much in a handful of years unless a scalpel, auto accident, or dioxin poisoning by Russian spies is involved.

I was also rolling on the floor when he talked about having to make his own movie because there were no roles for older gay men. Sure doesn't seem to have hampered Stephen Fry, Sir Ian McKellen or Sir Derek Jacobi in their later years. Of course, none of them have made a hobby of burning bridges with everyone they work with. Except Colin Firth, I guess.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 4
On 6/30/2018 at 8:11 PM, Nessie said:

I agree with you @msrachelj.  I don't know if this is specifically what you're talking about, but I thought Christine Baranski's original line we were shown ("have him washed and brought to my tent" I think it was) was so much funnier (and so much less crass) than what they said made it into the movie. 

And Rupert Everett...ok, I know age happens to all of us, but I didn't even recognize him until he started talking and I heard his unmistakable voice.

yes, that's exactly what i meant. less crass and much funnier. who the heck thought her vulgar line was better?

if graham didn't announce rupert was a guest i wouldn't have recognized him either. well, i guess our male actors get less plastic surgery than the females so they show their age like the rest of us. i can't think of any that are aging as well as cary grant though! as for the women, it's a fake plastic scary face that they think looks good.

• Love 1

My favorite exchange was Cher saying she saw Graham on a late night game show and knew he would be a star and Graham pointing out that he was still on a late night show.  I don’t think Cher heard him, but Christine was tickled.

Rupert has changed quite a bit.  I had to google him because the gentleman who came out was not the Rupert I was expecting.  I still have my doubts that he is the same actor from my Best Friend’s Wedding.  I know he is, but hmm . . .

• Love 3

By the way gang, I just saw the new Mama Mia, wanted to hate it, and instead really loved it.  It is so much fun.  If you liked the first one, you will like the second one as well.  When will we get this episode in the USA I wonder?

Season 23's fifth (Stephen Mangan, Johnny Vegas, Emilia Fox, Jess Glynne), sixth (Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin, David Beckham, Vanessa Kirby), and final a.k.a. Complitation Special, have not been aired on BBCAmerica.  If past is prologue, these episodes will eventually show up, probably in season 24.  When the show was flirting with a deal with Harvey Weinstein, half of that season didn't go to BBCAmerica until after the deal fell through.