Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08 Home Stays Home 2018.06.13

(edited)

Thought this episode was a bit clunky/heavy handed, with the boat-dad/son parallels to Willis (with Mario’s daddy issues thrown in for good measure), and the gambling mom parallel to Campbell’s ex, thrown at us about as subtly as Avila’s camera work.  And the way they’re broadcasting the connection between Willis and Rox-OMG, we get it! 

I’m not generally the biggest fan of Ariel, but I did think her friendship with Campbell’s daughter was nice to see.   

Did I miss what happened to Pepper? 

Edited by reallyjustjen

How many more episodes of this dreck before I can finally put myself out of my misery?  I've watched this long so I might as well stick with it until the end.  

I like Rob Lowe but I hate that he's in this show.  I hope he and Luis Guzman can find something better.  I have no desire to see Marcia Gay Harden, Boris Kodjoe and the rest in anything else. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

How many more episodes of this dreck before I can finally put myself out of my misery?  I've watched this long so I might as well stick with it until the end.  

I like Rob Lowe but I hate that he's in this show.  I hope he and Luis Guzman can find something better.  I have no desire to see Marcia Gay Harden, Boris Kodjoe and the rest in anything else. 

5 more episodes, there should be 13 episodes in total.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

This may be the best summation for this show. So much potention yet so much dreck.

Constant cast changes (still miss Neal), episodes steeped in incompetant Direction and implausable plots. Writing that completely ignores reality.

Such a good cast and some of the worst writing I have ever seen. Possible records for eyerolls on a tv show.

Still so much dreck

Edited by juno
more dreck
  • Love 3

Yay, we got the only two giggling teenage girls together in this show! And not just one scene, oh no, at least 3 (I FF'ed through them) and they're BFFs now! And for fun and kicks we also got Cancer Boy's Father hogging screentime.

Willis and Rox's "relationship" is awful. PTB, if you need to zoom in on one of your characters' ears to show the chemistry between your romantic pairing you're doing it wrong. Also, aside from Willis' position, they're wasting a paramedic and ambulance with Rox hovering around the ER when they're not in the field. And where the hell did he get off yelling that the patient's son had to be there while his father was being treated in the ER?! No one needs to see their parent/loved like that, which is exactly why everyone but staff and patient is cleared from a room whenever a patient crashes etc.

And in other time wasting; we'll have Mario play tour guide to a patient's sister and sitting in the chapel with her, and later Noah and Mario spending time in the chapel in their working hours.

No wonder Angels' ER is always in Code Black...

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Efzee said:

Yay, we got the only two giggling teenage girls together in this show! And not just one scene, oh no, at least 3 (I FF'ed through them) and they're BFFs now! And for fun and kicks we also got Cancer Boy's Father hogging screentime.

Willis and Rox's "relationship" is awful. PTB, if you need to zoom in on one of your characters' ears to show the chemistry between your romantic pairing you're doing it wrong. Also, aside from Willis' position, they're wasting a paramedic and ambulance with Rox hovering around the ER when they're not in the field. And where the hell did he get off yelling that the patient's son had to be there while his father was being treated in the ER?! No one needs to see their parent/loved like that, which is exactly why everyone but staff and patient is cleared from a room whenever a patient crashes etc.

And in other time wasting; we'll have Mario play tour guide to a patient's sister and sitting in the chapel with her, and later Noah and Mario spending time in the chapel in their working hours.

No wonder Angels' ER is always in Code Black...

So funny and so true. Real dialogue in the fire station (not really).

Fire Station: Rox report, where are you?

Rox: I am letting a doctor who is not in hospital or helping patients at this time use the ambulance as a shield for a gang with automatic weapons.

Fire Station: No problem we have unlimited EMT vehicles and; wow, we have no other medical issues in the entire city for you. Also their is a code black in the doctor's hospital but dont' worry they don't need him.

Fire Station 2: Rox Report, where are you?

Rox: I am in the middle of a forest fire with a doctor that is not helping any patients at this time searching for a kid that is lost.

FS: Would, you know, the military or search helicopters or fire fighters be able to help?

Rox: Probably, but the doctor and I have an aluminum foil blanket that we want to use to bond in, and we want to be heros if we save the kid.

FS: Hey don't worry about it. Highly trained doctors and EMT go into forest fires every day and save kids. For some reason they seem to be the only ones that can do it. Fire fighters are so crappy at that saving thing.

FS: Yeah they are in code black again no worries, they have many trained doctors that can help out; they have a total of 1 surgeon on staff, and 1 resident that is gaining his confidence and a number of great doctors that aren't being sued, making out, arguing and not filming patients that can help. Also, we surprisingly have no medical emergencies from that fire or anywhere else in the city for you to assist with.

• Love 8

So, for the obligatory Father's Day episode, we have the following:  The Unfortunate Mrs. gets burned up in the LA Harbor, but the Dad and son end up bonding with each other; Dr. Campbell jumps all over Dr. Rorish for not reporting Bad Mom; Bad Mom is chastised by staff when she does show up; Dr. Rorish is chastised by CancerBoy's Dad for letting her daughter kiss him; CancerBoy recovers from his episode and bonds with Dad; Dr. Keen is reduced from Dr. to nurse, and called Red; and, finally, old player infects (at least) two women with an STD, and they laugh it off as fun and games.  Is there a pattern here?  At least Willis got his alpha dog on and stepped on Silvetti.

It's impressive that Angels Hospital is located close enough to both the LA Harbor and the fire prone foothills so that all ambulances go there.

Was the boom that was trapping dad on the boat from the other boat?  If it was on dad's boat, then lowering the boat would be ineffective, because the boom would lower (sorry) at the same time.

I'm evil, but I still had to laugh when the boat's fuel, having somehow leaked in a direct path to the Mrs., ignites and a line of fire goes right to her.

Hey, Dr. Angus, I would think, even with my lack of medical knowledge, that a multitude of sharp objects in the stomach would be prone to puncturing something and not just pass through the entire bowel and out.  But no; let's just wait and see if she suffers some internal trauma.  That was just stupid. 

After weeks of Dr. Kodachrome making an ass of himself with the camera, we finally get a Maury Povich-worthy situation, and he's not recording it.  Come on, people!

Fire Station 3:  Rox, report.  Where are you?

Rox:  I'm getting my hair done so that it falls just right across my shoulders and Dr. Willis will notice me, because appearance is so much more important than patient care.

Station:  No problem, nothing much going on in the greater Los Angeles area with its population of 10,000,000 people.  Call us back when you're ready.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Efzee said:

. And where the hell did he get off yelling that the patient's son had to be there while his father was being treated in the ER?! No one needs to see their parent/loved like that, which is exactly why everyone but staff and patient is cleared from a room whenever a patient crashes etc.

In EVERY medical situation I've ever been a part of with a friend or family member as the patient, it's almost impossible to get the staff to let me stay in the vicinity while they are doing ANYTHING, even when I'm calm, rational, and informing them that I am the health care proxy.

Yet AngMem not only lets entire gymnastics drill teams hang about doing a dance off, but now they find fault with family members who AREN"T hovering about in the way having a hysterical meltdown like every other TV family member?

AND a surgeon's daughter is able to wander into the observation deck to watch a surgical procedure and distract her father while he's operating?

No wonder they only have 1 surgeon... the others quit because they couldn't concentrate with all the random people interfering with procedures and violating HIPAA laws.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, slothgirl said:

In EVERY medical situation I've ever been a part of with a friend or family member as the patient, it's almost impossible to get the staff to let me stay in the vicinity while they are doing ANYTHING, even when I'm calm, rational, and informing them that I am the health care proxy.

Yet AngMem not only lets entire gymnastics drill teams hang about doing a dance off, but now they find fault with family members who AREN"T hovering about in the way having a hysterical meltdown like every other TV family member?

AND a surgeon's daughter is able to wander into the observation deck to watch a surgical procedure and distract her father while he's operating?

No wonder they only have 1 surgeon... the others quit because they couldn't concentrate with all the random people interfering with procedures and violating HIPAA laws.

I think these are some of the reasons why this show has been canceled.  One can only suspend disbelief for so long.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, juno said:

Also their is a code black in the doctor's hospital but dont' worry they don't need him.

Remember when there was an actual sign on the wall, and you'd see it switch over to "CODE BLACK?"  Haven't seen that for a while.  Good thing too, because it always made me wonder whose job it was to sit there and  switch the sign back and forth.  And whether their time couldn't be better spent elsewhere, like, maybe, helping?

4 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

It's impressive that Angels Hospital is located close enough to both the LA Harbor and the fire prone foothills so that all ambulances go there.

What impresses me is that this shithole is where the Whitehouse reserves a bed whenever POTUS is in town.  (Is that actually a thing? I know Reagan used to travel with his own Aircraft Carrier and Hospital Ship, so maybe it isn't so crazy.)

1 hour ago, slothgirl said:

No wonder they only have 1 surgeon...

...who somehow gets to boss around the Emergency Department...

24 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

How the hell was that little girl sitting there calmly in the waiting room and not screaming in agony?

And suffocating, seeing as how she drank the boiling water first and her brother came after.

And can someone tell me what sort of child-raising results in two big children so stupid as to think drinking boiling water might be a good idea?  Or are we just supposed to believe that RouletteMom was so consumed with her own passions she simply neglected to mention the simplest things to her kids, like don't play with matches, don't put your hand in the blender, don't let hot stuff burn you?  I hope they can fix those kids right up, because they probably need to hurry home so they can stick a fork in an outlet!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

And suffocating, seeing as how she drank the boiling water first and her brother came after.

And can someone tell me what sort of child-raising results in two big children so stupid as to think drinking boiling water might be a good idea?  Or are we just supposed to believe that RouletteMom was so consumed with her own passions she simply neglected to mention the simplest things to her kids, like don't play with matches, don't put your hand in the blender, don't let hot stuff burn you?  I hope they can fix those kids right up, because they probably need to hurry home so they can stick a fork in an outlet!

Yeah, that, too. I certainly knew better at that age.

And after all that, her braids were still perfect at the end of the day. TV Land really is a magical place.

• Love 2

I thought Dr. Rorish was unnecessarily nasty to CancerBoy's dad (I recognized him as Howard in Better Call Saul) when he objected to Ariel kissing his son.  Dr. Rorish lets her roam around the hospital, seemingly able to do whatever she wants.  He was right to be concerned about that, even though he came around at the end. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, katycat74 said:

Old timers like me remembered the old guy with the clap as "Huggy Bear" on Starsky and Hutch back in the day..Antonio Fargas.

Yup, I remembered Huggy Bear too!